Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
What purpose does Rek'Sais torpedo skill serve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Gortarius posted:

Annoying people, finishing off runners, enabling AP gimmick builds

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gortarius posted:

you can check brush with it and it also has a slow

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I've been getting a lot of ragers in-game for a while now.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gortarius posted:

it covers the standing-still blindspot of tunnel vision for you so you can avoid death bushes

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i've heard whispers of the fabled techniques wielded by legendary rek'sais who would "control vision" with "strategic" prey seekers. i'm just a monkey who fires it point-blank before unburrowing on someone's rear end because optimal burst combo

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Something that always confused me is the existence of grievous wounds. It seems to me that healing/sustain would be easier to balance without it. As it is healing is either so strong that you need to buy it, or so weak it doesn't matter. This leads to, in my opinion, champions who rely on sustain/healing to feel really bad when the enemy team buys grievous wounds, but also people playing against these champions feel bad when they don't buy grievous wounds.

I think if grievous wounds was removed they could then look at healing/sustain across the board and lower it as needed until it's always reliable/available for the champions who use it if they're smart about it but in return it can be beaten if the enemy team plays around it instead of building one item and making Mundo/Vlad/Aatrox/Soraka/Taric/etc. sad forever.

Also I want Kled damnit because he looks very fun and cool to play and I need another top-laner who I actually like.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Something that always confused me is the existence of grievous wounds. It seems to me that healing/sustain would be easier to balance without it. As it is healing is either so strong that you need to buy it, or so weak it doesn't matter. This leads to, in my opinion, champions who rely on sustain/healing to feel really bad when the enemy team buys grievous wounds, but also people playing against these champions feel bad when they don't buy grievous wounds.

I think if grievous wounds was removed they could then look at healing/sustain across the board and lower it as needed until it's always reliable/available for the champions who use it if they're smart about it but in return it can be beaten if the enemy team plays around it instead of building one item and making Mundo/Vlad/Aatrox/Soraka/Taric/etc. sad forever.

Also I want Kled damnit because he looks very fun and cool to play and I need another top-laner who I actually like.

The problem here is that spammable healing is simply unbalancable without direct counters. You kind of need crazy hard counters like GW and Ignite if you're going to have not damage mitigation, but outright damage negation. DotA2 only gets away with it because there are an enormous number of ways to instagib supports and carries.

One needs simply to look at HotS (which I love playing, don't get me wrong) to see what happens in a game with spammable heals, low duration disables, and significant reaction time before death; Healers become the carries and high-priority targets, and the flow of the match becomes "which healer fucks up first?", they had to make a hero not considered a support because he had no heals or long-duration shields.

On top of that, without GW an enormous number of changes they've made would have to be undone, like all the healing amplifiers.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 6, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
anyone wants to know a easy way to win games with a team? build tank and splitpush items and then ruby sightstone

10 zzrot portals and enhanced cannon minions is fun

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

The problem here is that spammable healing is simply unbalancable without direct counters. You kind of need crazy hard counters like GW and Ignite if you're going to have not damage mitigation, but outright damage negation. DotA2 only gets away with it because there are an enormous number of ways to instagib supports and carries.

One needs simply to look at HotS (which I love playing, don't get me wrong) to see what happens in a game with spammable heals, low duration disables, and significant reaction time before death; Healers become the carries and high-priority targets, and the flow of the match becomes "which healer fucks up first?", they had to make a hero not considered a support because he had no heals or long-duration shields.

On top of that, without GW an enormous number of changes they've made would have to be undone, like all the healing amplifiers.

As a big nerd about MOBAs, let me talk about some poo poo. There's some large differences in healing between League and Dota. One of the bigger ones is the scaling of heals. Most heals are flat amounts and there's no equivalent to AP scaling. CDR does exist but it's on a prohibitively expensive item for any support. There's also no collection of heal improvement bonuses the way there is with Spirit Visage, Runic Armor, Windspeaker's, Athene's and the +% to heals items. It actually makes sense that healing can be strong right now between the pile of multipliers you can throw together. There's also the well known difference in mana availability between the games, most Dota healers really can't sustain spamming their heals, or they're cooldowns are long enough that it's not a huge issue.

Another contributing factor is the items available in each game, specifically their raw gold efficiency and their stat distribution. League's items are generally set up so that the more expensive the item is, the more efficient it is. You're rewarded for completing it, while in Dota it's the reverse. This means in Dota you're essentially paying to have all the stats rolled into one item slot. This is really relevant when we're talking about the healers pounding heals into someone that's bought big defensive items, because their HP is higher quality and they have the HP pool to not die quickly. The other thing is how the stats are bundled. Dota doesn't really allow you to purchase HP and resistance together, and the items that are the most expensive and offer the most armor or HP in a given slot come bundled with other stats you might not want and aren't directly related to tanking, such as mana or attack speed. Basically League allows you to gear up more efficiently, both in just raw efficiency and being able to bundle the stats (and passives) you want together. This gives healers great targets when those same tanks also can do significant damage and just wade through the enemy team.

Also I think League is by far the burstier game.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Something that always confused me is the existence of grievous wounds. It seems to me that healing/sustain would be easier to balance without it.
the opposite is true actually lord magmar. grievous wounds is an unpleasant and costly keyword that most players would not give two shits about, which means the items which have grievous wounds are situational. if you make the grievous wounds items slightly more expensive(but comparable) to non grievous wounds items, you have things players would typically avoid unless it is important.

however, by merely having them, you have a built in failsafe for if sustain gets out of hand by some degenerate build. not only that, you can make characters have healing as part of their identity(and buff healing beyond normally safe levels), knowing safely that there is a hard-coded counter to this that players can opt in to at any time.

without grievous wounds you have to tone healing back to the point where it is irrelevant, which allows for less interesting mechanics based around healing that riot can tinker with. grievous wounds is basically a "break glass in case of retarded fuckery" thing riot had in their office which allowed them to not worry too much about breaking sustain, and by taking it away sustain has suddenly become a must deal with problem instead of a probably should deal with problem

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Healing reductions have been lovely game design ever since WOW PVP revolved around Mortal Strike for like 10 years. You either make healing balanced in terms of expected damage to be mitigated or you end up making healing too strong and then every team needs to have a healing reducer if it is part of the design.

I actually don't think it's a big problem in league because as much as people complain about it healing is piss weak in this game. In HOTS for example when I play a healer I can often keep a whole team up for an extended fight and micromanaging health is much easier because healing abilities are so strong.

In League you basically can only heal someone who is taking chip damage and any concentrated burst is totally unrecoverable. Soraka is the strongest healer in this game and is relatively weak in terms of what you would find in other games both in this genre and in other genres that have combat healing. If you hit someone with an R/W at the same time as Soraka you probably healed maybe 40% of their health bar if you are lucky. It's so insignificant.

I'm one of those lifelong healer/support type players and I've played just about every kind of game that has healing; and supports in league are the lowest impact healers I've ever seen. Which is why it's so baffling to me that so many people complain about them.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Libertine posted:

I'm one of those lifelong healer/support type players and I've played just about every kind of game that has healing; and supports in league are the lowest impact healers I've ever seen. Which is why it's so baffling to me that so many people complain about them.

It's because they're usually low impact that people complain when they're powerful, the game's meta isn't balanced around them. In TF2 or WoW or whatever the healer is a core part of the game design that the meta is based around. That's not a normal factor in League so when healers show up it fucks up the meta and often leads to way more boring solutions. Like when summoner heal stacked and it destroyed pick comps and burst comps because you could erase any engage whenever you wanted, so a grinding tank comp was all that worked because you needed 50 seconds to kill anyone.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Also healers can take assassins from doing their job to not doing their job at all, which is understandably frustrating.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
There's plenty of antiburst abilities in the game as well--healers having the ability to nullify chip damage AND prevent all burst would be super duper broken

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Is there still any sort of Dagon counterpart in LoL?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gortarius posted:

Protobelt gives you extra burst in addition to the dash?

And Luden's, I guess, since most people just used Dagon as part of their combo.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The closest thing was Deathfire Grasp which got removed in season 5 pre-season because it was really snowbally on LeBlanc and Ahri and AP Trist. Every other active in the game is much weaker.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gortarius posted:

It's not as strong but Gunblade also has the straightforward targeted nuke active.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Servaetes posted:

There's plenty of antiburst abilities in the game as well--healers having the ability to nullify chip damage AND prevent all burst would be super duper broken

That's how healers are in most games. They are designed to have different spells for each and every type of mitigation and when played to excellence by someone absolutely everything does get mitigated and erased.

This is not news to you I know I'm not trying to be short or anything. It's just funny to me that people are like man Soraka can cast a single heal with low scaling and a group heal on an insanely long cool down she has to be banned it ruins the game!!!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
To be fair healing is so weak in league because 4 or 5 years ago riot really had a hate boner for any sort of sustain at all and tried hard to make sure sona, soraka, nid, vlad, and everyone else who had a heal couldn't rely on it.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Methanar posted:

To be fair healing is so weak in league because 4 or 5 years ago riot really had a hate boner for any sort of sustain at all and tried hard to make sure sona, soraka, nid, vlad, and everyone else who had a heal couldn't rely on it.

That's because 6 years ago, the best team comp was like 4 healers and a tank, all with Spirit Visages, and you would brute force towers at 15 minutes, while the other team struggles to finish BF Sword.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

most of the healing supports basically had to get removed from the game at one point because they were the only supports people played

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Libertine posted:

This is not news to you I know I'm not trying to be short or anything. It's just funny to me that people are like man Soraka can cast a single heal with low scaling and a group heal on an insanely long cool down she has to be banned it ruins the game!!!

I think that's more when people are astonished in a very prolonged fight where no one just kills her and they duck and weave a lot she outputs a shitload of healing and scream broken but... beats me. She's boring to fight against in lane because she invalidates a lot of damage you do so you have to all in to pop them typically.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Firebert posted:

The closest thing was Deathfire Grasp which got removed in season 5 pre-season because it was really snowbally on LeBlanc and Ahri and AP Trist. Every other active in the game is much weaker.

You're forgetting veigar who could dfg> q the mid adc or support and instantly get a kill then turn and ulti the midlaner for a doubler

God I miss dfg sometimes (and then I remember why it's gone and think 'good riddance')

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I again maintain they should have left the healing passive on Ardent Censer as non-unique.

http://webmup.com/74d87/

http://webmup.com/c79dc/

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Well, alright.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im the ekko that rushed aegis against renekton

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I will admit my issue with Grievous Wounds is playing Aatrox and then not having his inbuilt survival mechanic work, as Morellonomicon is a popular item and it activates at 10% lower than the triple heal does which is a very tiny area for a non-tank, and if you build Aatrox tank you do very little damage anyway.

Maybe I just want an Aatrox rework because he's the only champion who I really dislike being grievously wounded as.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

life steal does work with grievous wounds on

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

riot might as well give aatrox the gangplank treatment and kill him because he basically doesnt exist at this point

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

my friend verv iticus plays aatrox

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Radical posted:

riot might as well give aatrox the gangplank treatment and kill him because he basically doesnt exist at this point

Well, he wouldn't die even if you killed him.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

"aatrox has been disabled because he died, and because of a bug with his revive passive."

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when Aatrox was released it was just the oddest thing ever. At this point champs were always getting some sort of pre-release teaser or hint. For Aatrox, he was just out one day. There was pretty much no hype leading up to him. It was the only champ that got this treatment for as long as I've played since like some time around S3.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Aatrox is great he's the dark heart dark warrior sword swing good champion design okay great North Korea number one country in the world.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Aatrox is what happens when you've run out of ideas but still need to release a champion every two weeks so you start stealing your kid's artwork

Kled tells me they just started having that problem again

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Libertine posted:

Aatrox is great he's the dark heart dark warrior sword swing good champion design okay great North Korea number one country in the world.

I consider Mecha Aatrox to be the real Aatrox and he's just a giant transforming robot out to punch the giant Void monsters in the face which is way better than anything they did with his base skin.

Their stance that Aatrox is kind of boring and pointless but not broken enough to bother ever doing anything about is annoying. Maybe once like, Yorick and Evelynn and some of the other real shitters get done they'll take another stab at him.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

top lane exhaust ignite hybrid damage evelynn is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Firebert posted:

Aatrox is what happens when you've run out of ideas but still need to release a champion every two weeks so you start stealing your kid's artwork

Kled tells me they just started having that problem again

Kled has a lot of personality and looks like he might even be fun to play. Even if he looks like Rengar and feels too close to Gnar mechanically for some people. Aatrox on the other hand...

Libertine posted:

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 7, 2016

• Locked thread