Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Thuryl posted:

Not unless you have a shitload of money and nothing else to spend it on. Even then, save it for traits that markedly improve something you expect your character to be doing all the time.

I did a few Antiquarian runs and saved up enough cash to lock in some positive quirks on my main Tanks and Healers, since they're the bread and butter workhorse units. I thought that was a very good investment, since it allowed me to change up the trinkets I carry on each run. I've found that anything which boosts resistances (like Clotter, Hard Noggin, or Thick Blooded) is quite useful. Additional Prot, HP, Speed, Dodge, Accuracy, and stress reduction will definitely come in handy, too.

I've only been lucky enough to get Eldritch Hater/Eldritch Slayer on a few units, but those quirks are incredibly powerful, especially in the Champion version of the Cove and the Weald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There's also the occasional town event that lets you get free treatment at the sanitarium, and since you can both lock in a positive and clear a negative quirk at the same time, there's no reason not to fill the place up and get double treatment for everyone if you're lucky enough to get that event.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

There's also the occasional town event that lets you get free treatment at the sanitarium, and since you can both lock in a positive and clear a negative quirk at the same time, there's no reason not to fill the place up and get double treatment for everyone if you're lucky enough to get that event.

Mentioned it last page, but that event is triggered by the "collect three medical supplies" quest in the weald. It seems like every collect/activate quest has a town event associated with it, probably to balance out the reduced inventory space that makes them unappealing otherwise.

I'm not sure what they all do yet. Each zone seems to have one that gives a buff to your next mission (+15% damage +33% xp in that zone). Medical supplies is definitely repeatable. I think there's a cove one that makes your next mission's supplies cost zero.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is there a quest that causes the "revive any one hero" town event to happen more commonly?

In other news, Dismas found his own head in a secret room. I'm gonna give it to him to carry around :haw:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 29, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alabaster White posted:

Is there a quest that causes the "revive any one hero" town event to happen more commonly?

In other news, Dismas found his own head in a secret room. I'm gonna give it to him to carry around :haw:

When I did that he got killed pretty shortly afterwards so I feel like perhaps it was a bad omen.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I was lucky enough to clear the first floor of the Darkest Dungeon, thanks to some very good resolve checks. Both the Man-at-Arms and Vestal became Powerful, rather than getting a horrible Affliction (like Abusive or Hopeless). Half the party became Virtuous, half became Afflicted. It wasn't a complete success - my best Arbalest died just before the boss went down.

Overall, I still felt the first floor of the Darkest Dungeon was easier than dealing with a Champion Shambler. Champion Shamblers are borderline ridiculous. I lost my best Bounty Hunter to one of those cruel bastards.

Anyway, from what I've read, the second mission Darkest Dungeon will be substantially more difficult. Would you guys recommend locking in positive quirks on my party before I go, since the second quest requires a trinket?

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 29, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Mzbundifund posted:

Why did I never think to try this?

Probably because regular costs for that is so staggering it was burned into my fears

EDIT: Does editing Dismas' or Reynauld's name forefit you from the cheevo for keeping them alive?

Highwang fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 30, 2016

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I wouldn't think so but that would make them harder to keep track of and dismas is a great name he's the loving saint of penitent thieves.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I'm really trying to get used to the game right now. Early on, should I just sell trinkets? If a hero is wearing them and dies is it gone?

Early on as well should my main goal just be to go on a mission, try to complete it or at least get out with more gold than I spent, and then what? Putting ALL my heroes into the stress relief stuff? Getting rid of red traits? It seems like an awful lot of money. What should I be focusing on instead?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

I'm really trying to get used to the game right now. Early on, should I just sell trinkets? If a hero is wearing them and dies is it gone?

Early on as well should my main goal just be to go on a mission, try to complete it or at least get out with more gold than I spent, and then what? Putting ALL my heroes into the stress relief stuff? Getting rid of red traits? It seems like an awful lot of money. What should I be focusing on instead?

Whether or not you should sell trinkets depends on how good the trinkets themselves are and how badly you need the cash. You should get yourself in the habit of selling them in general though, rather than hoarding them "just in case", because frankly you'll end up with a lot that you'll just never really need to use. If a hero is wearing one and dies, but it's not a total party wipe, then the trinkets they were wearing will show up in the post-battle loot. They are only lost forever if your party is entirely wiped out, or if you leave it behind in said post-battle loot.

Early on you should just dismiss heroes if they end up with lots of negative traits or just more stress than you care to pay to restore; heroes are free to recruit and it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend money to restore a level 0-1 hero back to full when anyone you hire to replace them will be just as good. You don't really need to bother spending money to get rid of red traits most of the time - even at high level. Most traits are fairly manageable and some of them don't even affect certain heroes at all (getting a "-X% melee damage" trait on an arbalest, for example).

The main thing you should be spending money on is skill levels at the guild (invest in level 2 skills ASAP. It will make a big difference), and weapons/armor at the blacksmith as a secondary thing. Eventually once you get used to the combat you'll end up being better at just minimizing stress damage taken in the first place so stress reduction will end up eating less of your income.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

your heroes are not your friends. use them up and break them. gaslight them. thrash them mercilessly with a rubber hose. they love it

also, i just got a "free building upgrade" which basically saved me about fifty portraits on the final Guild level 5 skill upgrade. which is nice

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Back into the game after a long time. Are +% trinkets additive, or you get the best effect only? Thinking about +healing effect trinkets, mostly.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Fat Samurai posted:

Back into the game after a long time. Are +% trinkets additive, or you get the best effect only? Thinking about +healing effect trinkets, mostly.

They stack additively, yeah.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Yup you must be a ruthless adventure capitalist. Your hamlet is the character not the schlubs you send out.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Oh, hey, the Collector is a thing that exists and tends to happen at the end of a run. RIP, guys.

Did they make quirk gain non-random? I swear I'm getting only good quirks on low-stress runs.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
quirk gain sucks rear end, and as long as it's as bad as it is and locking in quirks costs a loving jillion, I'm going to hate and abuse my mens.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fat Samurai posted:

Oh, hey, the Collector is a thing that exists and tends to happen at the end of a run. RIP, guys.

Did they make quirk gain non-random? I swear I'm getting only good quirks on low-stress runs.

it's been true for a while now when you end a mission in low stress, you're more likely to get a positive quirk instead of a negative one

of course, 'more likely' is not 'non random' so i wouldn't count on it at all.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

your heroes are not your friends. use them up and break them. gaslight them. thrash them mercilessly with a rubber hose. they love it
Sure, but every now and then I like to personalize my heroes:

But he'll probably get murdered at some point, like my previous Bounty Hunter who was eaten by a Champion Shambler. At least it's fun to get revenge on low level Shamblers when you get the town event which lifts level restrictions on your party. Maybe this is the developer's way of throwing you a bone once you've reached the end game. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it's time to collect.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What would be the best way to use that event? Sending 6 lvls at veteran dungeons or what do you mean?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Tias posted:

What would be the best way to use that event? Sending 6 lvls at veteran dungeons or what do you mean?

Sure, that works. Or you can try a Level 1 Apprentice dungeon, too. There's a chance the Shambler's altar will appear in any dungeon, but it's just a small chance. If you don't find the Shambler's altar, you can walk around in pitch blackness and hope that it appears. If that's the case, bring plenty of food (for hunger checks), and consider equipping your heroes with trinkets which buff your stats while you're in low light. The two that immediately come to mind are the Moon Ring and Moon Cloak. But those are just suggestions, even a common trinket like the Eldritch Slayer's ring is very good, and will get the job done.

Even if the Shambler doesn't appear, you can profit a ton by doing a low level torchless run. The loot bonuses are significant, and even better if you happen to bring an Antiquarian. One killer team is Arbalest (position 4), Antiquarian, Man-at-Arms, Highwayman (position 1). You've got loot bonuses, a unit which can Mark targets, two heals, and two front line heroes for murdering enemies. Activate double Riposte and watch things melt. Highwayman is only in position 1 because of point blank shot, which occasionally crits for a one shot kill.

Oh, and if you're lucky enough to come across a Shambler's altar, consider camping, if you can. The camping bonuses make the Shambler fight much easier, especially the Highwayman's Unparalleled Finesse, the Arbalest's Restring Crossbow, and the Man-at-Arms party buffs.Whenever I've gotten low level missions without level restrictions, they've always been Short missions, unfortunately. I would love to see a full Legend party with camping buffs go hog wild on a low level dungeon. My most recent torchless run brought in 25k in gold, plus a few trinkets. Not bad. I searched for a long time, but never encountered the Shambler in pitch darkness.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 9, 2016

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Just getting back into this game. Is it just me or is the OP staggeringly out of date?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Captainsalami posted:

Just getting back into this game. Is it just me or is the OP staggeringly out of date?

Its extremely out of date. It was created february of last year?

Wiki has better info.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I'm still having a hard time dealing with the "disposable" nature of the heroes. They generally all stay alive and I have enough cash to relieve stress, do town upgrades, and manage quirks when I have to and diseases when they come up. So, for me, it stings when hero dies. For whatever reason, I can usually make a rational decision to shitcan one that is just too expensive to fix, but if they die in the field it bothers me.

I can't keep Hellions alive, and I hate to say it, but I think it's luck. There's just always going to be one battle, usually right at the end of a dungeon, where she will get shuffled and then focused and killed before I even get a chance to get her back in position. Last night I was doing a medium run in Weald with Arbalest - Occultist - Hellion - Hellion. The entire run I just murder everything and at no point is anyone even down to 50% health. It's a mission where you have to collect three medicine satchels. Of course, it's one of those U-shaped dungeons where you start in the middle and have to backtrack after clearing out one half of the U. I'm searching for the third satchel. my heroes are all at full health, my torch is at 80%, and I walk into a room where I know there will be a battle, as it had been scouted. The room was at the dead end of a one-hallway length branch off the U and didn't contain a satchel, but the second satchel was in that hallway and I figured that doing the battle would be preferable to walking backwards out of the hallway, because I didn't know how long it was going to take to find the third satchel and didn't want to run into a stress problem.

Not stupid, right? So I walk into the room, the battle is four spiders: two black, two green. No problem, right? Wrong. I got surprised (with an 80% torch!!) and my #1 Hellion (the one with Iron Swan, of course) got shuffled to the back, was blighted, marked and stunned. My Occultist is in position #2 now and can't use Wyrd, so he stabs (just spiders, right?), my Arbalest is in position 3 and can only shoot off a flare which removes the Hellion mark, and my 2nd row Hellion is now in 1st row, but has Yawp instead of Iron Swan. She Yawpstuns the first two spiders - doesn't have Breakthrough, and I figured that stunning two was better than wounding one. However, I haven't done any damage yet, and since Hellion 1 is stunned, she can't use Adrenaline Rush to at least stop the blight damage when she's that low on health. In turn two she is again focused and dies (in the back row!!). At the end of turn 2, all spiders are dead.

What the FUUUUUUUUU

The best part is that I'd actually found the third satchel two rooms before and just didn't see it. My Hellion didn't have to die. I didn't have to go into that room to begin with. I'd even thought about retreating from that battle for cost/benefit reasons after the shuffle/mark/blight/stun nonsense before I got a single turn, but I didn't know if retreating while a hero on the field was stunned would abandon that hero, so I thought I'd at least be safe through one and a half rounds.

Nope.

Bastards.

gently caress spiders anyway. And vomiting pigs that give you diseases like "The Worries." gently caress female cultists with 80+ dodge. gently caress Tempting Goblet spam. And gently caress those assholes in my town occupying the cheap stress relief options.

It probably keeps me coming back to the game, though. Quite fun.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

my Arbalest is in position 3 and can only shoot off a flare

how in gods name are you speccing your arbalests

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

how in gods name are you speccing your arbalests

If she doesn't have hurried shot or the bola shot, then the arbalest has a hard time doing anything to position 1 mobs. Neither one of those skills are particularly great, either.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

gently caress spiders anyway. And vomiting pigs that give you diseases like "The Worries." gently caress female cultists with 80+ dodge. gently caress Tempting Goblet spam.

What kind of trinkets are you using on your melee characters, like the Hellion? I've found that the Ancestor's Signet Ring paired with the Flesh's Heart Trophy works well. The Hellion really benefits from additional accuracy, since she can't afford to miss those critical Iron Swan shots. She also needs protection, since she's a bit squishy.

I've found that trinkets like the Ancestor's Bottle provide health bonuses which help make up for the fact that some Champion monsters hit like trucks. Another reliable trinket combo I've used is the Focus Ring paired with the Overture Box. The Hellion gets more maximum health, accuracy, and even a crit bonus. The Box cancels out the Focus Ring's dodge reduction, too.

Here's a list of good melee trinkets: (favorites in bold)

Sun Ring - very good standard trinket for most dungeons, including Champion difficulty. Additional accuracy and damage bonuses rule.
Ancestor's Candle, Ancestor's Pen - both are great for any melee hero. Just get some accuracy in your other slot.
Cleansing Crystal - if you are tired of getting status effects up the rear end, try this one. Great for Champion dungeons.
Tough Ring - for dealing with crazy Champion strength monsters and hard-hitting bosses.
Heaven's Hairpin - very useful stress relief and accuracy bonuses, can be acquired in the early/mid game.

Legendary Bracer - pair this one with an item that has +SPD, like the Feather Crystal. That combo is pretty solid.
Vvulf's Tassle - but only if you have a Marking party. Very good for killing bosses.
Dismas's Head - very strong in theory, but the negative traits nearly rule this one out. Added stress damage and health reduction sucks.
Crescendo Box - I prefer this one to Dismas's Head, the damage bonus and SPD are both very good, and there's no health penalty.
Berserk Charm - similar to Dismas's Head, this item has negative traits. If you insist on using it, make sure to get additional accuracy.

Heavy Boots - very good early/mid game tanking trinket, with plenty of move resistance and prot.
Hell's Hairpin - for torchless money-making runs.
Brawler's Gloves - just don't move out of position 1. Pair this item with Heavy boots?
Sun Cloak - standard tanking cloak, but not bad at all.
Life Crystal - very good health bonuses, at the loss of speed. Not bad.
Warrior's Bracer - good damage bonus for starting out.
Warrior's Cap - good accuracy bonus for starting out.
Swordsman's Crest - good damage bonus for starting out.

Any Stun amulet + Barbaric YAWP is great. Just bring lots of herbs to clear the debuff.

Both the Ancestor's Moustache Cream and Ancestor's Handkerchief deserve to be mentioned, since they can help deal with status effects. I just prefer using the Cleaning Crystal.

Here's a list of all the trinkets.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 11, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just slapped every single one of my Hellions in pos.1 with Wicked Hack, If It Bleeds, Iron Swan, and Adrenaline Rush and they were consistently my top performers just for being able to hit any enemy position for huge damage.

I also beat the game tonight :pcgaming: The second Darkest Dungeon quest was by far the hardest part of the entire game. The third and final quests were pathetic in comparison. How much of a step up in difficulty is NG+?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

If she doesn't have hurried shot or the bola shot, then the arbalest has a hard time doing anything to position 1 mobs. Neither one of those skills are particularly great, either.

Agreed. How does that mean the arbalest couldn't damage the spiders in rows 2, 3 and 4 from position 3?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Agreed. How does that mean the arbalest couldn't damage the spiders in rows 2, 3 and 4 from position 3?

Sounds like he didn't have Sniper Shot equipped. Which seems like a fatal mistake for an arbalest period.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Highwang posted:

Sounds like he didn't have Sniper Shot equipped. Which seems like a fatal mistake for an arbalest period.

I didn't even register that as a possibility.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Alabaster White posted:

I also beat the game tonight :pcgaming: The second Darkest Dungeon quest was by far the hardest part of the entire game. The third and final quests were pathetic in comparison. How much of a step up in difficulty is NG+?

Nice, and congrats! My understanding is that the difficulty ramps up quite a bit in New Game+. I've been watching BaerTaffy's Let's Play of New Game+, and it sounds like he's experiencing some agony. He isn't the most methodical player, but overall, he's entertaining. He's too greedy in many circumstances, and often sticks around when he should retreat. He also equips too many items which cause Stress damage, but I give him props for attempting NG+ in the first place.

For a good time, check out the video where he attempts NG+ Wolves at the Door. It's kind of satisfying to watch somebody else get pummeled.

Anyway, you only have 91 weeks to finish the game on NG+, which is rough. You can only lose 13 heroes, too. Based on my current save file in normal mode, I would have already failed the conditions put in place by NG+. Haha. I'll probably play through it eventually, but it just seems unnecessarily difficult, which I suppose is the point. It reminds me of Impossible difficulty from XCOM. I just wish they would have added some NG+ content, even a few new trinkets or a new quest would make it more appealing.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 11, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also i got a full-party wipe on the Swine God thanks to that loving wilbur, and it was because my arbalest didn't have Rushed Shot and i couldn't actually hurt the motherfucker; this has scarred me for life

this was after my bounty hunter tanked seven Death's Door hits in a row, but somehow also couldn't connect with the squealing, writhing pig

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

also i got a full-party wipe on the Swine God thanks to that loving wilbur
Wilbur is an rear end in a top hat, and once you have his flag trophy, you'll feel so much better. The Highwayman benefits a ton from using Wilbur's flag - the dodge bonus is significant, and the stun resist is very nice, too.

As far as losing characters goes, I feel your pain. Just booted up the game to do a short Ruins money run, and after a quick encounter with the Collector, my best Jester got murdered. The Collector's Highwayman minion can occasionally land massive crits, and the poor bastard didn't stand a chance. This game will throw you a serious curve ball every now and then, even if you're prepared for it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jedah posted:

my best Jester

error: this implies multiple jesters

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

error: this implies multiple jesters

I was lucky enough to have a spare Jester. After having a few of my favorite heroes get murdered, I got into the habit of training up replacement units. Plus, given the nature of the Darkest Dungeon quest line, I think it's a good habit to have heroes to spare. It can be a bit time consuming, yes, but unless you're playing New Game+, you can get away with it. Replacement heroes will eventually show up, and trinkets like the Ancestor's Portrait help them gain experience. Bring a solid healer and a Man-at-Arms to protect them, and they'll get power leveled pretty quickly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I have 100+ hours in this game and I've never found a use for Jesters that someone or something else couldn't do better.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Bad Seafood posted:

I have 100+ hours in this game and I've never found a use for Jesters that someone or something else couldn't do better.

With the update before release, they made the buff song available in the 3rd row. So now you can rev your team up to "gently caress the initiative system" speeds with decent crit and dodge then have an off-attacker. Plus, best stress removal in-dungeon.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Bad Seafood posted:

I really like using the Jester for his Inspiring Tune and Battle Ballad party buffs. Equip him with the Bright Tambourine trinket, and he'll excel at keeping your party within manageable stress levels, especially during longer dungeons and boss battles. Battle Ballad will consistently buff your party's speed, accuracy and crit chance, which is especially good when you're falling behind in a fight.

He's not my favorite hero, but he has a lot of flexible skills, and some surprisingly good Bleed skills.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 11, 2016

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
For battle ballad to provide positive value, you need 3 buffed characters to be more effective than 4 unbuffed characters at locking down the enemies. This seems not terribly likely to me based on the listed benefits, I haven't experimented with buffing skills much other than seeing disappointing results from emboldening vapors, which is admittedly even harder to justify, being a single-character buff. I guess if you build your party around battle ballad you can get a tad more oomph by focusing purely on +damage trinkets. I don't actually know how the speed bonus interacts with turn order on the turn it's cast: my suspicion is that you will see benefits starting in the second round, which is less than ideal since this would mean one is eating more attacks in the first round.

I haven't played around with solo-finale Jesters that much, but they seem pretty high-variance, since even if you can reliably reduce enemy accuracy to 40%, you're still going to have to facetank a bunch of hits, which is an issue if you have a squishy jester in the first row. The dodge malus from using Finale exacerbates this issue, although in theory this might be eased by burning through herbs like it's going out of fashion.

The way I try to play the late game is to strategically reduce variability, which is just not the Jester's strong point. The most predictable damage skills are the two bleed skills, which are OK to good as long as you're in the Weald or Warrens. Every other attack shuffles the jester around, and even if you set up the rest of your team to not be too disadvantaged by the Jester shuffling around it often feels to me that he inevitably ends up too awkwardly placed to use his attacks effectively. Dirk stab is the one skill that is properly row-flexible, but it's pretty mediocre otherwise.

Inspiring tune also seems like it could worthwhile if you're running into serious stress issues, but in most cases I would still prefer a different hero. I haven't tried gimmicks like double-abomination plus jester, but that's the only situation I can think of where you're racking up otherwise-unmanageable stress from a source other than enemy attacks. Afflictions are bad but stress healing to prevent them is certainly not as critical as HP healing to get party members off of Death's door.

In conclusion, I think Jester underperforms when compared to any non-Antiquarian class, and this was my judgement even back before Highwaymen and Lepers got their substantial buffs. You can certainly find success using one, especially in lower-level dungeons, but I'm over 100 hours into the game and I still feel like I can't wrap my head around how the designers intended the class to be properly used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Highwang posted:

Why did I never think to try this?

Probably because regular costs for that is so staggering it was burned into my fears

EDIT: Does editing Dismas' or Reynauld's name forefit you from the cheevo for keeping them alive?

I edited their names and got the achievement, although that was pre-Brigand Vulf patch. You should be safe renaming them.