Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is the video about the Saturn stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Spoderman posted:

The DC SD is extremely bad. Horrible compatibility, and if a game does work, it has insane load times and pop-in. Do not buy it to play games. Just buy a spindle of CD-Rs if you want a cheap way to play games.

That a shame to hear. I was tempted to get this since I got a Dreamcast for free a few years ago with all the cords and a controller (person tried to sell it to Gamestop and they refused so he stuck it on top of a trashcan) . It powers on just fine, but from what I can tell the disc drive doesn't' work since it had a included internet cd that wasn't being read.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

That a shame to hear. I was tempted to get this since I got a Dreamcast for free a few years ago with all the cords and a controller (person tried to sell it to Gamestop and they refused so he stuck it on top of a trashcan) . It powers on just fine, but from what I can tell the disc drive doesn't' work since it had a included internet cd that wasn't being read.

fwiw with the Dreamcast this could just be the laser being misaligned, which is an "easy" (although tedious) fix if you've got nothing better to do and would get you a completely free DC to use with burned games.

Not sure if anyone has links handy, but there are two test CD's you can burn: one with data on the inner ring, and one with data on the outer ring, and you want to adjust a potentiometer internally, I think a 1/8 turn at a time or thereabouts, iuntil both discs "pass". IIRC the DC will eventually get out of alignment enough that this won't work, but it takes several adjustments' worth, and odds are good it's never been adjusted at all.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
What's a modchip to look at for the PlayStation (not psOne)? I'd imagine it may depend on its revision perhaps?

To burn CDs of course, if it bypasses some region lock then perhaps that's cool too, but not primary reason.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I mean, an ODE does exist for the Saturn already, in the form of Rhea and Phoebe, but that's by the same guy who did the GDEMU so it's expensive and you might not get one for a year.

The guy who inspired all the videos about breaking the Saturn CD block finally is putting the final touches on an MPEG card based flash cart, while the Pseudo Saturn Kai guy is also putting the final touches on his cart based USB flash cart.

In short, it's a good time to be a Saturn owner.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I have the USB-GDROM I got from SAG and it works great. If I were ordering today though I'd probably just check the GDEMU guy's blog until he reopens preorders, as he comes across as the more reliable of the two. That's how I got a Rhea - just checked daily for a few months, got my request in and then it showed up a couple months after.

I wish the USB-GDROM guy wasn't so...sketchy. I'd like to get his 3DO ODE but don't feel like going through the hassle and risk. If SAG restocked them I'd order from them but I think they're done with him.

Also the GDEMU guy is working on a PC-Engine ODE so that's cool. And the upcoming Jaguar flashcart from that AtariAge guy supposedly can play CD games.

Now if we could just get a Sega CD replacement we could do away with optical media...

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Cliche Guevara posted:

So, I'm taking the plunge into Dreamcast territory. Speaking from someone who played with one for literally ten minutes at launch, is getting the DC-SD a way to go since I'm on a budget?

http://dc-sd.com/

Not interested in burning a shitload of games, wearing the laser out and all that nor can I afford a Framemeister. I figured someone on here got this and/or the PSX card reader and may have some experience?
Also, the site has VGA cables and an S-Video AV cable for sale. What's the smarter choice? My TV specs:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60ES6100FXZA-specs

Any thoughts?

Since your TV doesn't have a VGA input or s-video input, you would need to get an HDMI adapter. There are some VGA to HDMI adapters for cheap that do not add too much lag to be noticeable for most games. However, a good chunk of games do not support VGA output, so you either need to suffer with composite or get a s-video to HDMI converter as well.

I would just get the VGA box over a cable. They have VGA and s-video output with a little switch to go between the two. So you don't have to unplug anything between games and just flip a switch instead.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

falz posted:

What's a modchip to look at for the PlayStation (not psOne)? I'd imagine it may depend on its revision perhaps?

To burn CDs of course.
If you have one of the models with the serial port on the rear-left of the unit, you usually get a GameShark/Goldfinger enhancer and do the swap trick.

Multi-disc games can be an absolute pain to work, though. For example, Lunar SSSC has a disc switch after a cinematic with no save, so you have to do an active disc swap before the drive reads the legit disc. Took me a while to do.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, i was lucky enough to grab a USB GDROM from SAG while they had it. No way I'm dealing with that guy directly. He's no krikzz.

Speaking of the Saturn MPEG slot thing... If anyone wants to follow the development of Dr. Abrasive's (aka jhl) Saturn solution, check this thread. Really exciting stuff!

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/saturn-optical-drive-emulator.62274/

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Since your TV doesn't have a VGA input or s-video input, you would need to get an HDMI adapter. There are some VGA to HDMI adapters for cheap that do not add too much lag to be noticeable for most games. However, a good chunk of games do not support VGA output, so you either need to suffer with composite or get a s-video to HDMI converter as well.

I would just get the VGA box over a cable. They have VGA and s-video output with a little switch to go between the two. So you don't have to unplug anything between games and just flip a switch instead.

For the record, this is the VGA compatibility list:
http://www.epforums.org//showthread.php?42182-Dreamcast-VGA-Compatability-list

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

d34dm34t posted:

150 post-Brexit Pounds.

From an actual store rather than eBay. Which pushed up the price but allowed me to confirm it was actually working and had been competently serviced.

That's pretty good considering how rare it seems, I don't think I would ever go out of my way to get one because I'm not interested in the CD-32 at all but adding the capability to my A500 would be cool just because. You just don't think of the A500 as a CD system and it looks kinda surreal

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

FilthyImp posted:

If you have one of the models with the serial port on the rear-left of the unit, you usually get a GameShark/Goldfinger enhancer and do the swap trick.

Multi-disc games can be an absolute pain to work, though. For example, Lunar SSSC has a disc switch after a cinematic with no save, so you have to do an active disc swap before the drive reads the legit disc. Took me a while to do.

Meh I don't want to deal with disc swapping, sounds annoying. I'd rather just mod it and be done. Googling came up with too much random information, like a 6 wire, 7 wire, 8 wire! but I have no idea what the difference are.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's a good thing that the Sega CD can so easily read CD-Rs, because man is it inconsistent with what discs it can read. I have a copy of Sonic CD that's scratched to hell and apart from maybe one CD audio track sort-of skipping once I haven't had any problems with it. But then I have a copy of Double Switch that's in way better shape but it gets to the opening cinematic and freezes with a disc read error after 5 seconds. My copy of Panic! that's no worse than my Sonic CD just will not load at all.

Every single CD-R I've run through it has run totally fine though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

FMV heavy games are harder to read and are more time sensitive than redbook audio and a small game program, so it makes sense that Sonic CD works even with scratches and Double Switch fucks up easily.

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

d0s posted:

That's pretty good considering how rare it seems, I don't think I would ever go out of my way to get one because I'm not interested in the CD-32 at all but adding the capability to my A500 would be cool just because. You just don't think of the A500 as a CD system and it looks kinda surreal

The A570 adds CDTV support to the A500 (and only the A500, the A600 isn't supported). This was Commodores first attempt at a CD based system and - being A500 based - used a 16bit 68000 along with ECS graphics. The CD32 was released two years later and was based off the A1200 (so having a 32bit 68020 and AGA graphics).

The CD32 actually has a few good games and isn't that rare in the UK, mostly because it was sold off dirt cheap when Commodore imploded. It also had an extra graphics chip that normal AGA Amigas lacked, meaning that a CD equipped A1200/4000 couldn't play CD32 games. The CDTV was literally just an A500 with a CD drive in a black hifi component style box (with an astronomical price tag). It didn't sell in either CDTV or A570 form (the latter not being helped by the A500 being discontinued almost immediately after the add-on was launch) and there's very little software available for it. Most of what is available is either public domain or edutainment titles.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

azurite posted:

Get the VGA box, that way all your bases are covered.

The USB GDROM is by far the best way to go. Unfortunately, the creator is apparently tough to work with, so SAG no longer carries them. DC SD is far too slow, since it goes at like USB 1.1 speeds.

Try serial speeds. Not even usb 1.1 :haw:

Anyways if you're gaming on a budget and good with a soldering iron your best bet is to wire in an IDE cable and use an IDE hard drive. Note I said GOOD WITH SOLDERING IRON. YOU HAVE TO WIRE AN IDE CABLE TO THE DREAMCST
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/mod-hdd-without-destroying-your-dreamcast-%E2%86%92-step-by-step-guide.60146/

Compatibility however isn't 100% so yeah, only do this if you're really hurting for cash.
http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum/thread-2145.html

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

FireMrshlBill posted:

However, a good chunk of games do not support VGA output, so you either need to suffer with composite or get a s-video to HDMI converter as well.

This is not true, as Instant Sunrise's link proves. The only disappointments here are Bangai-O and Airforce Delta.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

d34dm34t posted:

The A570 adds CDTV support to the A500 (and only the A500, the A600 isn't supported). This was Commodores first attempt at a CD based system and - being A500 based - used a 16bit 68000 along with ECS graphics. The CD32 was released two years later and was based off the A1200 (so having a 32bit 68020 and AGA graphics).

The CD32 actually has a few good games and isn't that rare in the UK, mostly because it was sold off dirt cheap when Commodore imploded. It also had an extra graphics chip that normal AGA Amigas lacked, meaning that a CD equipped A1200/4000 couldn't play CD32 games. The CDTV was literally just an A500 with a CD drive in a black hifi component style box (with an astronomical price tag). It didn't sell in either CDTV or A570 form (the latter not being helped by the A500 being discontinued almost immediately after the add-on was launch) and there's very little software available for it. Most of what is available is either public domain or edutainment titles.

yeah I meant cd-tv I just had a brain fart, I actually had a CD-ROM equipped A1200 for a while and remember reading somewhere that you could hack a few CD-32 games into running but I never really bothered to try

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ofecks posted:

This is not true, as Instant Sunrise's link proves. The only disappointments here are Bangai-O and Airforce Delta.
Hydro Thunder :eng99:

I hear some copies of it might work if you use a boot disc, but mine certainly doesn't.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
:( the ibuffalo SNES pad I bought for my Retropie gives ghost d-pad inputs when I'm not pushing any buttons. Anyone else have this?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Ofecks posted:

I didn't mean good as in quality, I meant it as in amount... like more than a handful since I wasn't including games you could patch.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Crimson Harvest posted:

:( the ibuffalo SNES pad I bought for my Retropie gives ghost d-pad inputs when I'm not pushing any buttons. Anyone else have this?

I had that happen as well. It always registers the d-pad as an axis rather than buttons which seems strange to me so I suspect something is loose in there.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Crimson Harvest posted:

Yep, me too :-(

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Not exactly a retro game per se, but that Metroid 2 remake finally got released.

Better grab it quick before Nintendo inevitably nukes it from orbit.

e: welp, beaten on the last page. Oh well, it bears repeating.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 7, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You all need to buy 8bitdo controllers. Only issues I have with them is that every time you power off your source, you have to resync your controller. They're an impressive build quality.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I bought a FC30 Pro and it's really nice, though it's default mode on Windows is kinda wonky. You can always just plug in a cable and use it in xinput mode at least.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

GutBomb posted:

It always registers the d-pad as an axis rather than buttons

this is common behavior of like every PC pad controller for as long as I can remember. I have the same buffalo controller and it works fine under windows

e: are you guys calibrating it? because you should calibrate it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Bloody Pom posted:

Not exactly a retro game per se, but that Metroid 2 remake finally got released.

Better grab it quick before Nintendo inevitably nukes it from orbit.

e: welp, beaten on the last page. Oh well, it bears repeating.

https://twitter.com/MetroidDatabase/status/762432458641936388

That sure didn't take long.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

ImpAtom posted:

Considering they;re not attempting to profit from it nor to compete directly with an upcoming product I doubt Nintendo is going to C&D it.

People wring their hands over C&Ds but companies rarely want to 'poo poo on fans' unless said fans are trying to turn of a profit off it or exploit something damaging.

(That said M2R is good enough I feel bad the dude can't turn of a profit on it. I'd put it above Zero Mission in terms of fun to play.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Probably them wanting to make sure Federation Force flops so they can declare Metroid dead.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
What kind of dumb motherfucker doesn't think Nintendo will C&D something on the internet.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I expect that the next step after the first round of DMCAs will be to get rid of the streams and youtube videos.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Improbable Lobster posted:

What kind of dumb motherfucker doesn't think Nintendo will C&D something on the internet.

As soon as it popped up on the Facebook trending feed I knew it was a matter of time like always

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Federation Force might actually turn out to be a good game and people are being horrible babies about it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Fawf posted:

As soon as it popped up on the Facebook trending feed I knew it was a matter of time like always

How many fan remakes don't get shut down shortly after either being announced or released? It happens so much that it's dumb to get mad at it.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

DoctorWhat posted:

Federation Force might actually turn out to be a good game and people are being horrible babies about it.

There's a playable demo and it's not looking too good

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

How many fan remakes don't get shut down shortly after either being announced or released? It happens so much that it's dumb to get mad at it.

In Sega's case they ended up hiring a fangame creator to update their old Sonic games and make a new one, because they realized that Sonic Team are awful. :v:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Elliotw2 posted:

I bought a FC30 Pro and it's really nice, though it's default mode on Windows is kinda wonky. You can always just plug in a cable and use it in xinput mode at least.
Are you on the latest firmware? I didn't get my 8bitdo controllers until very recently, but I was looking through some of the firmware updates and a lot of them have been about adjusting the default behaviour of the different modes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just use ps4 controllers people, they are nice and the d-pads are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just use ps4 controllers people, they are nice and the d-pads are good

I actually tend to use a ps3 controller because it's no effort after initial setup and I like it more.

xamphear posted:

Are you on the latest firmware? I didn't get my 8bitdo controllers until very recently, but I was looking through some of the firmware updates and a lot of them have been about adjusting the default behaviour of the different modes.

I am, but it still has too many buttons and it makes some programs freak out.

• Locked thread