Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hmmmm. Dammit, I prepared an invasion of a place, died, and then for some reason the trade post isn't gone and is now owned by a series of dashes and I can't build my own there.

It was such a promising run of AtE as the Tribe of the Mouse too. Anyone know when the heck Americanist crusades kick in? It's dreadfully tiring waiting for them when I rarely play the game for long enough for it to matter.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So does this mean that ck3 will begin with cats and glitter hoof off the bat? One can only hope!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Groogy posted:

ElderKings is probably my most played mod since I first played any Paradox games. I am such a Bethesda fanboi

Now if only they could get around to updating it :v:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the moral of the story is "dont take money from rats you got the gay for or they will send you to suriname"

Oh, if only this had been in your post yesterday!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Now if only they could get around to updating it :v:

I think they're fairly close to a release, and though the instructions on how to do it are kind of confusing it's not too hard to get a fairly stable development version with the stuff they have been working on. Notably, this is pretty much mandatory if you want to play as an Orc dynasty - there's a bug in the current release version where sons always win if they challenge their father to a duel to try to seize control, even if they're a wimp and their dad is a 20 combat skill champion of Malacath.

Elder Kings is really good though. Especially as Orcs. Elves are boring though, never play as an elf or marry a female elf (because then your kids will be elves) since they live way, way too long. AI Elves make just as many dumb decisions as they do good ones and can't cast magic, so they aren't overpowered, but a player elf is a steamroller since stat accumulation rates through events and such aren't really tuned for their lifespan, and if they're a caster then you've probably got a good candidate for future Emperor of Tamriel on your hands.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So I booted up Geheimnisnacht again, went for the Skaven obviously, well into the game and there are no Events.

I got money from raiding, right. And I have a son. That's 99% of all the Events. Maybe the Winds of Chaos are waning or waxing? This also happened with Ogres, neither are just fleshed out at all.

yeah, they've got some mechanics and I've been amusing myself with just the universal-ish stuff in the mod, but the lack of specific events is noticeable.

had to stop playing anyways since i got some bug where the game hangs on a specific date. had it twice, actually; first time i just reloaded a save from a year or so back and it got past the date, but now i got one where i loaded a save from two years back and it still did it on the same date. probably some timed event that causes some recursion or something; the other thing it could be is a vanilla ck2 bug related to routing armies without a place to run home to. I'll have to download that "no shattered retreat" mod and see if that fixes it. wouldn't be such an issue if two years ran as fast as in regular ck2 but instead, ack.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 5, 2016

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jazerus posted:

Elder Kings is really good though. Especially as Orcs. Elves are boring though, never play as an elf or marry a female elf (because then your kids will be elves) since they live way, way too long. AI Elves make just as many dumb decisions as they do good ones and can't cast magic, so they aren't overpowered, but a player elf is a steamroller since stat accumulation rates through events and such aren't really tuned for their lifespan, and if they're a caster then you've probably got a good candidate for future Emperor of Tamriel on your hands.

Your explanation seems at odds with your initial claim. :v:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Jazerus posted:

I think they're fairly close to a release, and though the instructions on how to do it are kind of confusing it's not too hard to get a fairly stable development version with the stuff they have been working on. Notably, this is pretty much mandatory if you want to play as an Orc dynasty - there's a bug in the current release version where sons always win if they challenge their father to a duel to try to seize control, even if they're a wimp and their dad is a 20 combat skill champion of Malacath.

Yeah I think 0.1.17 is gonna be released pretty soon? I donno haven't talked to the devs in a while.

My favorite game was when I had this huge war against the Tiber Septim with my Argonian Kingdom that had just sprung out of the Swamps taken the wooded southern Cyrodiil and parts of the scorching south east deserts of Elsweyr. The Kingdom was at end of my game marching with thousands of Argonians northwards to heed the warning call of the Hist that this God-Dryskin had to be stopped or the Argonians would forever live in slavery under the Man and Mer.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 5, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Beastmen also have no Events. Starting to notice a pattern.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Beastmen also have no Events. Starting to notice a pattern.

Beastmen are broken in a bunch of places and just not well put together overall. They were never really finished and I think the person who worked on them is no longer involved with the mod?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I just had someone declare war on me before I could do it to them. Is there a way for me to set a goal, or am I just stuck with fighting a war for nothing and then a 10 year truce to gently caress with my plans?

Also I don't understand how England keeps at least 2x my available levy. I now control, Ireland, Brittany, Scotland and Wales and am up to almost 15k troops. About a generation ago England went from 15k to 23k without acquiring any more territory.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Demon_Corsair posted:

Also I don't understand how England keeps at least 2x my available levy. I now control, Ireland, Brittany, Scotland and Wales and am up to almost 15k troops. About a generation ago England went from 15k to 23k without acquiring any more territory.

Building up your holdings give you more personal levies. You'll also get more liege levies via buttering up your vassals and them building up their own holdings.

Or possibly they just got some guys with better martial stats.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I bought the base game and Legacy of Rome a few years back but never actually wound up playing it. Now I'm kinda interested in picking it up again, but I'm looking at some of the other expansions, too. Just about all of them sound neat, but I don't wanna throw my wallet out the window buying all of them. I know I wanna pick up The Old Gods for all the beards and paganism (and reformed paganism sounds neat). Which ones do ya'll recommend picking up, and which ones should I pass on?

Edit: Also, is there a good 1080p UI mod available? Playing this on a tv is kind of hard to read some stuff.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 6, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Demon_Corsair posted:

I just had someone declare war on me before I could do it to them. Is there a way for me to set a goal, or am I just stuck with fighting a war for nothing and then a 10 year truce to gently caress with my plans?

Unlike Paradox' newer games, you cannot set war goals in a defensive war in CK2. At the same time, the truce will only work one way, preventing THEM from declaring another war on YOU for 10 years. You can and should immediately declare your own war once you've fended off their attack.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

So, I bought the base game and Legacy of Rome a few years back but never actually wound up playing it. Now I'm kinda interested in picking it up again, but I'm looking at some of the other expansions, too. Just about all of them sound neat, but I don't wanna throw my wallet out the window buying all of them. I know I wanna pick up The Old Gods for all the beards and paganism (and reformed paganism sounds neat). Which ones do ya'll recommend picking up, and which ones should I pass on?

Edit: Also, is there a good 1080p UI mod available? Playing this on a tv is kind of hard to read some stuff.
Way of Life is a must, otherwise it's just Old Gods if you're going pagan. Conclave is good, but not something you want to use right away if you haven't played the game before or really want to be a vassal.

Otherwise, just go nuts I say, whenever the next sale happens

And I dunno about any mods like that, I just lower the resolution when I'm on my big screens or sit closer~

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 10, 2018

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Way of Life is a must, otherwise it's just Old Gods if you're going pagan. Conclave is good, but not something you want to use right away if you haven't played the game before or really want to be a vassal.

Otherwise, just go nuts I say, whenever the next sale happens

And I dunno about any mods like that, I just lower the resolution when I'm on my big screens or sit closer~

I'll check that, then. Thanks.

I'm assuming the next sale will be in about three weeks. That's when Reaper's Due is dropping, apparently.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Heh, why stick to Geheimnisnacht and it's lifeless factions when you can boot up After the End enjoy playing a Paiute Mormon and... still not get too many events. But at least there's something. Stole the Kingdom of Idaho from the Anthophiles after about my fourth revolt with the same ruler.
They really should have more poo poo about them. Do they even get a holy order/crusade equivalent?

They don't even have any special events for converting places around them, which is kinda cray cray in my mind

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Also picked up the Ruler Designer because I like makin my own guy. There any tips on how I should go with that? Don't know about which stats I should focus on or what. Do wanna go for a guy for conquering, though. I don't wanna make some Super Human that keels over dead in a year, but I don't wanna make a guy that sucks, either.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

Also picked up the Ruler Designer because I like makin my own guy. There any tips on how I should go with that? Don't know about which stats I should focus on or what. Do wanna go for a guy for conquering, though. I don't wanna make some Super Human that keels over dead in a year, but I don't wanna make a guy that sucks, either.

Diplomacy for making people like you, stewardship for cash and actually being able to have some holdings.

Insanity and possession are surprisingly harmless, so you might want to pick those up if you feel like min-maxing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BenRGamer posted:

give yourself wounded, because it disappears in a year or so and leaves you with the scarred trait, which gives you a prestige bonus. you can also stock up on all the negative traits that aren't inheritable, like gluttonous. with all of that, you'll have enough to get genius, ambitious, a 4 star education trait, and great stats while only being like 18 years old. i'd give yourself brilliant strategist and have martial as your highest stat, because that will make you a better commander and give you more soldiers. intrigue and learning can be kind of dump stats, but stewardship, and to a lesser extent, diplomacy, are still important.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's hosed to to not play CK2 as real people.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

Just get Ruler Designer Unlocker on the steam workshop. That way you don't need to mess around and just make who you want to play as for a generation. You can have a superman start but its not going to be much help 6 sons down the track and your genius heir died leaving your only options for succession between a clubfoot lunatic and an inbred gardener.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Buschmaki posted:

It's hosed to to not play CK2 as real people.

most of the characters in ck2 are already fake

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Volkerball posted:

The polish wheel dude is real.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Volkerball posted:

Haesteinn of Nantes is real.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the godi of maere is fake

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Were you there? :colbert:

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Everyone in the game after a hundred years is fake.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Surprisingly there are not 100% perfect records for all European nobles of the medieval era and having to research some very spotty documents in a an archive in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia just so you could find out who was baron of Strumica in 1101 would probably not be worth the immense effort and cost.

Nobles fabricating lineages to give themselves increased legitimacy has also been a thing throughout history so even some of the rulers we have records about never actually existed and that dynasty that traces it's roots back to King poo poo The Conqueror God-King of Ruritania might not have a single drop of his blood. One example of this sort of thing is Carl Gustav, the current king of Sweden, who despite being Carl XVI is only the tenth Carl and should be Carl X because the monarchy created a fictional family tree in the 16th century where they traced their line back to Magog, one of Noah's grandchildren with a number of fictional kings as filler.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 7, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
I tried subscribing to the Ruler Designer Unlocker mod, but it doesn't seem to do anything--won't even let me switch to the Mods tab in the launcher.

Edit: Wait, looked it up, had to turn on cloud synchronization

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 7, 2016

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Surprisingly there are not 100% perfect records for all European nobles of the medieval era and having to research some very spotty documents in a an archive in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia just so you could find out who was baron of Strumica in 1101 would probably not be worth the immense effort and cost.

Nobles fabricating lineages to give themselves increased legitimacy has also been a thing throughout history so even some of the rulers we have records about never actually existed and that dynasty that traces it's roots back to King poo poo The Conqueror God-King of Ruritania might not have a single drop of his blood. One example of this sort of thing is Carl Gustav, the current king of Sweden, who despite being Carl XVI is only the tenth Carl and should be Carl X because the monarchy created a fictional family tree in the 16th century where they traced their line back to Magog, one of Noah's grandchildren with a number of fictional kings as filler.

Was that the same dynasty that was descended from Norse Gods who they pretended were just their ancestors who were so awesome the locals worshiped them as a God?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Schizotek posted:

Was that the same dynasty that was descended from Norse Gods who they pretended were just their ancestors who were so awesome the locals worshiped them as a God?

Well pretty much every Germanic king claimed to be descend from Odin/Wodin it was a thing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Vespasian had his Chancellor to fabricate a lineage back to Hercules's time, and then rejected it for the Piety.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Vespasian had his Chancellor to fabricate a lineage back to Hercules's time, and then rejected it for the Piety.

Ugh, EU: Rome was always so gamey.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
New DD about optimization and modding:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-18-optimization-and-modding.962057/

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

That # of characters alive graph is interesting. I still think that Black Death dip could be bigger though

:black101:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
We were aiming for ~30% die off, since the nobles had it a bit easier. Also it may not to have spread to the whole world there, depending on where it shows up it might bypass India or other areas.

We do have a Deadly epidemics Game Rule if you want them to be worse though :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

At any point will the game focus the ai more on places where wars are actually fought over or if that's not possible reduce the penalty for holdings being conquered a million miles from the fight. Like in my current game I have or had like over 70% threat so wars are going to be harder, fair enough. But what lost me the last one was the ai just conquering provinces that were nowhere near the duchy that the war was declared over.

Like if I'm going to fight over Toulouse and my troops mash countless doomstacks in Toulouse and have basically rolled over the holdings in the duchy why does it matter if the abbasids are wrecking poo poo out in Crimea? Or the rest of the world in some places that's nowhere near anything. If they take over Genoa or Lombardy, fair enough that's probably relevant. Those are right next door. I can see there being a negative penalty for that but I can't move my stacks between Crimea and Toulouse fast enough to stop the holdings just being reconquered.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 9, 2016

• Locked thread