Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Governor Maggie Hassan (D) is now polling 10 points ahead of Senator Kelly Ayotte (R) in the New Hampshire Senate race.

http://www.wbur.org/politicker/2016/08/04/clinton-over-trump-new-hampshire-poll

quote:

"There's a very close relationship between the votes for Kelly Ayotte and Donald Trump," pollster Koczela said. "Their support is sort of locked together. And with the direction that Donald Trump seems to be heading in, Kelly Ayotte's task is to somehow decouple those two."

That has proved difficult for Ayotte, who has put herself in the awkward position of not explicitly endorsing Trump, while saying she will support the Republican nominee in November.

Over the weekend, in a rebuke to Trump, Ayotte defended the Khan family — which prompted the Republican nominee to lash out at her.

"I don’t know Kelly Ayotte," Trump told the Washington Post. "I know she’s given me no support — zero support — and yet I’m leading her in the polls. I’m doing very well in New Hampshire."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Governor Maggie Hassan (D) is now polling 10 points ahead of Senator Kelly Ayotte (R) in the New Hampshire Senate race.

http://www.wbur.org/politicker/2016/08/04/clinton-over-trump-new-hampshire-poll

IIRC, Clinton is doing better in NH than Trump is in OK

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

One well-regarded poll now has Clinton up 4 in freaking Georgia. So all bets are off.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlamingLiberal posted:

One well-regarded poll now has Clinton up 4 in freaking Georgia. So all bets are off.

Fire on the mountain run boys run.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Quoting myself to follow the story...

deoju posted:

Both the RNC and the Koch Bros. are pulling money from Ron Johnson reelection bid in Wisconsin's senate race.

So the Kochs are jumping back into this race. They pulled out of a 2 million dollar ad buy, and came back with half that. Trump sinking must have caused them to recalculate on which rats might be saved.

deoju has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Aug 5, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Isn't Johnson down by double digits?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Has this been posted?

quote:

Pat Toomey leads Katie McGinty by just a single point in the PA Senate race.

That’s the conclusion of Public Policy Polling latest survey, which found Toomey with 42% and McGinty at 41%. 17% are unsure.

These results are almost identical to PPP’s findings last June.

There is quite a large gender gap in this race as Toomey leads 51% to 36% with men while McGinty is ahead 45% to 34% with women.

http://www.politicspa.com/pa-sen-ppp-poll-toomey-42-mcginty-41/77491/

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FAUXTON posted:

Fire on the mountain run boys run.

Hillary: "I done told you once you son of a bitch, I'm the best that's ever been :smug:"

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Update on the Georgia senate race:

https://twitter.com/benchmarkpol/status/761685854712500224

Barksdale is a nobody. This race should not be remotely close.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Didn't this happen in 2014? Where people kept saying "oh man it's super close!" and then Election Day comes and whatever R senator it was wins with 60%

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Badger of Basra posted:

Didn't this happen in 2014? Where people kept saying "oh man it's super close!" and then Election Day comes and whatever R senator it was wins with 60%

I think there literally aren't enough Democrats in the whole state of GA to elect Barksdale. There are maybe enough to win the state for Hillary if every single one turns out.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Slate Action posted:

Update on the Georgia senate race:

https://twitter.com/benchmarkpol/status/761685854712500224

Barksdale is a nobody. This race should not be remotely close.

48% Isakson, 42% Barksdale, 8% Barksdale's Cap.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Slate Action posted:

I think there literally aren't enough Democrats in the whole state of GA to elect Barksdale. There are maybe enough to win the state for Hillary if every single one turns out.

You can't have one be true without the other

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blue squares posted:

You can't have one be true without the other

Isakson probably isn't anywhere near as widely hated as Trump.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Badger of Basra posted:

This year is totally different, my general rule of thumb these days until proven otherwise is that Democrats are going to make big gains in presidential years and then get totally hosed by Republicans in midterm years. Rinse and repeat.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Badger of Basra posted:

Democrats actually vote in Presidential years. I don't remember there being much hope in 2014 though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Gyges posted:

Democrats actually vote in Presidential years. I don't remember there being much hope in 2014 though.

otoh didn't chambliss get back in after he got forced into a runoff in 2008

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

That was also the election where the Dems decided Obama was toxic to their campaigns for idiotic reasons. 2014 was a hosed up election in terms of Democratic turnout even excluding the usual midterm slump.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Breitbart's James O'Keefe came to Southeast Michigan and tried to vote as Mayor Duggan, Detroit Free Press editorial columnist Brian Dickerson, and Eminem in the August 2nd primary to prove voter fraud is rampant in Michigan. Every time he proved the system actually works and prevents voter fraud.

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columnists/brian-dickerson/2016/08/03/dickerson-voter-impersonator/87993508/

Brian Dickerson, Detroit Free Press posted:

The video ... shows O’Keefe approaching Cindy Rose, a veteran poll worker at the Birmingham elementary school where I typically cast my ballot, about 9 a.m. on Election Day.

Rose and I know each other pretty well. I see her every time I vote, and far more frequently in the nearby park where I walk my dog.

And it’s not just me; Rose has been a volunteer in my precinct for nine years running, and she recognizes most of the voters she encounters every Election Day.

(Lesson 1: If you’re looking to commit voter fraud, do it someplace other than Mayberry.)

So when O’Keefe introduced himself to Rose as Brian Dickerson, gave her my address, and identified himself as a newcomer to the neighborhood, she was, let us say, on heightened alert.

“Are you his son?” she asks on O'Keefe's video.

“No,” he replies. “I’m Brian.”

Here is the video of O'Keefe attempting to vote as Brian Dickerson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDogU0Ga_Vg

And as for O'Keefe's claim he was "up in the north" hunting over the weekend and lost his driver's license, The earliest season to hunt anything in Michigan is August 1st, and that's for hunting crow.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS has issued a correction as of 19:36 on Aug 6, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If only one of these places would follow through for once and actually arrest the bastard.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm at work and can't watch the video but can I just safely assume that despite being turned away at every location and failing entirely in his task, he still concludes that the system is broken and voter suppression tactics are justified?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I'm at work and can't watch the video but can I just safely assume that despite being turned away at every location and failing entirely in his task, he still concludes that the system is broken and voter suppression tactics are justified?

His argument with the assistant county clerk in the video says it all. The system is broken because the election worker offered him an affidavit for a provisional ballot that he never signed, proving Michigan's elections are too easy to vote in and commit fraud. the real Brian Dickerson voted by absentee ballot and his ballot was already in the county clerk's office when O'Keefe pulled this. Shame he didn't sign that affidavit.

Here he is trying to vote pretending to be Eminem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZMU2oMJNHU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS has issued a correction as of 00:16 on Aug 7, 2016

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Slate Action posted:

I don't know much about GA but if it's anything like PA, Trump will bleed moderate
Republican support like crazy, but they will still vote R down ballot and that might keep the senate seat R but lose the state for Trump.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Breitbart's James O'Keefe came to Southeast Michigan and tried to vote as Mayor Duggan, Detroit Free Press editorial columnist Brian Dickerson, and Eminem in the August 2nd primary to prove voter fraud is rampant in Michigan. Every time he proved the system actually works and prevents voter fraud.

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columnists/brian-dickerson/2016/08/03/dickerson-voter-impersonator/87993508/

Here is the video of O'Keefe attempting to vote as Brian Dickerson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDogU0Ga_Vg

And as for O'Keefe's claim he was "up in the north" hunting over the weekend and lost his driver's license, The earliest season to hunt anything in Michigan is August 1st, and that's for hunting crow.

it is an incredible shame he wasn't arrested over this poo poo

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

how's weed looking on the downballot folks?? I know a lot of states are looking to legalize and some probably will, but haven't seen any recent polls on the matter.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

how's weed looking on the downballot folks?? I know a lot of states are looking to legalize and some probably will, but haven't seen any recent polls on the matter.

Arizona (probably), California, Maine, Massachusetts, and Nevada have marijuana recreational on the ballot. Arkansas, Florida, Montana, and maybe Oklahoma and North Dakota will have medical marijuana on the ballot.

There's not a terrible amount of good polling, but the consensus seems to be for the recreational states that Arizona is probably doomed, Massachusetts will be tough, and the other three are in pretty good shape.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There's been some rumbling in Texas about making medical marijuana a thing and seeing how it winds up working out.

Tip toeing meekly into the industry, potentially.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

There's been some rumbling in Texas about making medical marijuana a thing and seeing how it winds up working out.

Tip toeing meekly into the industry, potentially.

Texas isn't doing anything this year. The only ballot referenda are Constitutional Amendments approved to go on the ballot by the state legislature.

TX's state government is pretty close to one party, so the issue in the state leg is between pro pot Republicans and anti pot Republicans, with the rump Dems trying to play kingmaker. If pot does well in 2016 elsewhere, it might encourage the leg to let their greed for a new industry to overcome their fear of pot, but it's unlikely.

For those of you who aren't aware, the Texas state legislature is only in session 5 months every two years (Jan-June every odd-numbered year), so the legislature isn't even going to meet again until after the election.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
yeah, I should have clarified. No ballots or anything for pot, but the idea of legalizing medical is gaining steam it seems.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

Do you really bet that? Want to put some sort of forums money on it?

I think it's more likely than not, but I'm not confident enough to bet on it after my predictit experiences

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Florida's medical marijuana amendment is almost certain to pass this year. It only failed to pass by 2.8% in 2014 and 2016 is going to have a lot more voters who are likely to vote for it.

Remembering that in order to pass an amendment to the Florida constitution you need to get over 60% of the vote.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gyges posted:

Florida's medical marijuana amendment is almost certain to pass this year. It only failed to pass by 2.8% in 2014 and 2016 is going to have a lot more voters who are likely to vote for it.

Remembering that in order to pass an amendment to the Florida constitution you need to get over 60% of the vote.

One small step for weed in Florida. Sadly, the current legislation is restrictive as gently caress so I'd imagine it'd have a largely negligible effect on things like decriminalization or legalization. Medical Marijuana laws might open up a bit more in the state, but they'll likely still restrict it to the Charlotte's web strain.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xelkelvos posted:

One small step for weed in Florida. Sadly, the current legislation is restrictive as gently caress so I'd imagine it'd have a largely negligible effect on things like decriminalization or legalization. Medical Marijuana laws might open up a bit more in the state, but they'll likely still restrict it to the Charlotte's web strain.

I'm pretty sure Morgan has put forward an amendment almost identical to the one 2 years ago. The only changes are allowing parental consent and some dumb regulations as to how many patients a doctor can prescribe marijuana. The Charlette's Web bullshit was the legislature and Rick Scott's idiotic attempt to make it look like Florida totally was going to have medical marijuana so people wouldn't vote for the amendment. Then they went and hosed that dumbass ploy up by still not having any available.

The fate of medical marijuana in Florida basically comes down to a fight between a richass lawyer who has been fighting for this for years and the heiress to a supermarket chain and her allies in the Florida government. So yay dude who employs Charlie Crist when he's not running for office.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Which chain? Please don't say Publix.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The X-man cometh posted:

Which chain? Please don't say Publix.

Sorry

quote:

The family that founded the Publix supermarket chain has given $800,000 to a lobbying group fighting the legalization of medical marijuana in Florida.

The trust of Carol Jenkins Barnett, the chairwoman and president of Publix, made the donation earlier this month to the Drug Free Florida Committee, The Ledger reports, citing financial disclosure records from the Florida Division of Elections. The group is opposed to Amendment 2, a measure up for a statewide vote in November that would allow doctors to prescribe marijuana for certain debilitating illnesses, according to The News-Press.

Barnett is the daughter of Publix founder George Jenkins. She was recently diagnosed with younger onset Alzheimer’s disease and stepped down from Publix’s board of directors in June, the company had announced.

Publix said Barnett’s donation was “personal” and was not made on the company’s behalf.

“Carol Jenkins Barnett has long supported efforts to protect Florida’s families and children against the perils of drug abuse. As such, she feels that Amendment 2 would usher in an unprecedented era of legalized marijuana in Florida as opposed to only helping those who suffer from debilitating illnesses,” Publix said in a statement to TIME. “It is her desire to maintain the health and welfare of Floridians. For this reason, she contributed to Drug Free Florida, which is dedicated to educating the public on the dangerous consequences contained in this ballot initiative.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

At least it's not Publix itself I guess.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlamingLiberal posted:

At least it's not Publix itself I guess.

Publix IIRC is (partially I assume) employee-owned, with employees past some arbitrary length of employment get some profit-sharing incentive on their checks.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Publix is entirely owned by employees sice they're the only ones allowed to purchase stock in the company, and many of them earn it in benefits. That crazy woman probably inherited a good pile of stock but isn't actually affiliated with the company anymore. It's one of the few good things about Florida

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I try and buy most of my stuff from Publix since they are indeed employee owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fullhouse posted:

Publix is entirely owned by employees sice they're the only ones allowed to purchase stock in the company, and many of them earn it in benefits. That crazy woman probably inherited a good pile of stock but isn't actually affiliated with the company anymore. It's one of the few good things about Florida

I stand corrected, then. I've never worked for Publix (despite having grown up in FL) but I have family who have. Heck, my sister is one of the staff teaching chefs at one of their Aprons schools down there. She likes it enough but I have no idea what her pay is like or how their internal culture operates. She's able to live relatively comfortably in the bay area so it can't be awful.

E: those sandwiches though. Boar's Head for life.

• Locked thread