Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
difficulty but I feel like there's been stages where enemies had enhanced or reduced health levels based on certain conditions, like that one level with like 30 emergence holes that spawn giant insects, they only took a couple hits with anything to blow up as opposed to a couple clips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

How does level progression work? The actual stages, not whatever number is on a weapon; do enemies get gradually more health etc as it goes on, or is that reserved just for difficulty/COOP?

Enemies can have different levels of health in the same stage depending on what wave they spawn in, so the shortest answer is "it's unpredictable, but generally stays behind the increases in weapon damage." Later missions generally lean on more enemies instead of healthier enemies. The jumps between difficulty are the biggest lines. A rare few Air Raider weapons that are available at the end of a difficulty are still very good for the next difficulty (150mm Whale, the last Gigantus, sentries?, cannon artillery) but mostly it's a case of latching onto the first drops you get that are exclusive to the new difficulty.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

TheBlandName posted:

Enemies can have different levels of health in the same stage depending on what wave they spawn in, so the shortest answer is "it's unpredictable, but generally stays behind the increases in weapon damage." Later missions generally lean on more enemies instead of healthier enemies. The jumps between difficulty are the biggest lines. A rare few Air Raider weapons that are available at the end of a difficulty are still very good for the next difficulty (150mm Whale, the last Gigantus, sentries?, cannon artillery) but mostly it's a case of latching onto the first drops you get that are exclusive to the new difficulty.

Do they really have different levels of health depending on what wave they spawn in? I thought they all just had the same amount of health and the higher difficulties just roughly doubled it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Even if it's entirely unintentional I love the way that enemy animations sometimes get super choppy when they're far away because it makes them look like stop-motion animated movie monsters.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

TheBlandName posted:

In that case, wouldn't that gently caress with the air raider? Doing party coop stuff on hard I'm vomiting the 150mm constantly because whale's gunner is REALLY GOOD, but if that stops actually gibbing everything some stage 70 or something...

Air raider's list doesn't exactly have any "X but better," just various Xs.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Guy Mann posted:

Even if it's entirely unintentional I love the way that enemy animations sometimes get super choppy when they're far away because it makes them look like stop-motion animated movie monsters.

That's definitely intentional. It saves on processing power to lower the FPS of far away animations supposedly and I've seen it in other games as well.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

In that case, wouldn't that gently caress with the air raider? Doing party coop stuff on hard I'm vomiting the 150mm constantly because whale's gunner is REALLY GOOD, but if that stops actually gibbing everything some stage 70 or something...

The air raider list is full of X but better. But sometimes the better X has a different name, or in the case of bomber raids hits a different zone.

150mm Whale cannons are at levels 15, 50, and 82. Your 150mm A will keep working for black ants, spiders, and flying enemies through hard. The 150mm B will gib Hectors when you get it for the approximately 4 missions that aren't covered in Earth Eaters by that point. Then you'll be in hardest and it will still gib things that have no business dying in one hit. Like Retarius. Or max armor teammates. Or every NPC ally you have. Going from 1,000 to 10,000 damage is a pretty big jump.

EDIT: Basically, the Air Raider is the only class it doesn't gently caress because the Air Raider is the biggest, overkilliest glass cannon in the game. Wing Diver at least gets mobility and weapons that won't kill you when you're grabbed. Air Raider can't even recover from knockdowns, and their limpet guns have horrid DPS.

Also, the 150mm is a special case because originally it didn't have any splash damage and instead penetrated everything so you could drop it on Hectors through the World Eaters. "We don't see the marker but WE'RE FIRING ANYWAY!"

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 7, 2016

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Gamerofthegame posted:

150mm is really good. Hits hard, has immense splash damage, fires almost instantly once you designate a target and reloads after killing four normal enemies. Best thing is that the projectile destroys everything in its path on the way down.

150mm paired with Balam does wonders to destroy swathes of GIANT INSECTS. Sure, Balam itself is crap at fighting ants, spiders, bees and dragons, but what it's good at is being a ginormous bug magnet. Wait for the enemy to cling to Balam, pop out, drop a marker for 150mm, get back into the Balam and watch as your PC shits itself from all the ragdolls.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well I'll give this multiplayer thing a shot if some folks want me to tag along, I don't have a mic though due to how my computer is set up so hopefully that's not required

http://steamcommunity.com/id/spessmarine/

my profile is already prepared for EDF RAAAAAAAGGGRGRGRGGGRGGAGGAGGRGGRG

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Captain Invictus posted:

well I'll give this multiplayer thing a shot if some folks want me to tag along, I don't have a mic though due to how my computer is set up so hopefully that's not required

The quick chat system is a masterpiece and anyone who uses a mic with this game doesn't really understand what is best in life.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Huszsersvn posted:

I honestly thought the torch was for fixing vehicles. It says so in the description!

That's the joke.

It's a welding torch.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Natrox brings us the framerate unlocker!
http://steamcommunity.com/app/410320/discussions/0/360671727316560136/

Animations still run at 60 fps, but it fixes the mouse sensitivity changing if your frame rate tanks so its good even if you don't have a high refresh rate monitor

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

WarpedLichen posted:

The really bad weapons will have terrible gimmicks that make them impractical.

Like all hand grenades.

Which is a shame because hand grenades and especially firecrackers were really good in GDF.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

Which is a shame because hand grenades and especially firecrackers were really good in GDF.

I would use the hand grenades way more if we had better aiming indicators for them. At least with launchers you have multiple shots or spread shots, so you have the luxury of just spamming it in the general direction until you get hits (really sad there is only one 12 count launcher, that thing is loving amazing in it's mission difficulty range).

The slower rate of usage on hand grenades meanwhile means too much fumbling about at long range, and more likely to blow yourself up at closer range :v: Super satisfying to use anyways from time to time though. You still make the running start yell if you decide to use one of the extra long range grenades to free yourself from an ant in a poor life choice.

Also doesn't help matters that hand grenades just sort of... Stop existing. Oddball Level 52 bound grenade, then a level 72 grenade. That's it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 8, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think the grenades are more intended to be used on things below you most of the time. Like missions where the enemies are down in a pit, or while flying for Wing Divers. Or maybe for use while hanging out a helicopter door.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In GDF you didn't have to hold down the button since they had a fixed trajectory. This let you cancel most of the animation by switching weapons, giving you quite a lot of dps

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Feels good to summon three MLRS with rocket sentries and constantly fire homing missiles at everything from far away. Someone got annoyed I had some reload hack, because they kept blowing up from it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Feels good to summon three MLRS with rocket sentries and constantly fire homing missiles at everything from far away. Someone got annoyed I had some reload hack, because they kept blowing up from it.

I mean most people want to play the game instead of constantly lay dead on the ground.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man, I remember that mission with the mothership constantly genocide beaming the city while like a dozen shieldbearers guarded by hectors and ants futzed around amidst the blast area being pretty lovely but somehow I forgot that the mothership begins attacking you with beams and artillery when you're close to the mop-up point of the map

was playing my first round of multiplayer and boy, that map is not fun, and the mothership attacking as you're trying to clean up the remaining red ants and missile hectors is just the dickest of moves after a grueling mission to begin with

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I did that mission today and boy did that need some sort of damage indication. I spent way too much time just looking for a way to hit the flashing lights for damage and it was some blip I needed a sniper rifle to see.

Did the patch break cheatengine files? I can no longer add health to my lagging characters.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did the patch break cheatengine files? I can no longer add health to my lagging characters.

Use the one to alter pickup counts, takes longer but it still works.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

man, I remember that mission with the mothership constantly genocide beaming the city while like a dozen shieldbearers guarded by hectors and ants futzed around amidst the blast area being pretty lovely but somehow I forgot that the mothership begins attacking you with beams and artillery when you're close to the mop-up point of the map

was playing my first round of multiplayer and boy, that map is not fun, and the mothership attacking as you're trying to clean up the remaining red ants and missile hectors is just the dickest of moves after a grueling mission to begin with

That particular mission feels like the Mothership loving with you. "Oh, it's rising. That means it's safe to-wait it came back oh gently caress" :supaburn:

Scalding Coffee posted:

I did that mission today and boy did that need some sort of damage indication. I spent way too much time just looking for a way to hit the flashing lights for damage and it was some blip I needed a sniper rifle to see.

The mothership itself has plot durability up until it's time to officially murder it :v: Much like how you can't kill even basic UFOs until you finally get orders to bring them down. For some comparisons, a weapon that will juuuust one shot the Genocide Gun in the mission you take it down, won't put a dent in the G gun on earlier missions. Last I experimented with that (maybe bringing inferno stuff down to Normal would work?).

EDIT: But those floating plates that shoot tiny lasers are generally able to be shot down while it messes with you. Just ran through mission #25(?) and I was popping plates on principle while it got ready to slowly float away.

On that note, my inital run through for this PC port I once again forgot that the hornet's nest is similarly plot armored the first time you see it, and spent probably about 10 minutes shooting rockets at it from the spawn before I remembered :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 8, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Obsurveyor posted:

Use the one to alter pickup counts, takes longer but it still works.
That sounds good. Can you point it out?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

This is the oddest excuse for not having a mic I've ever seen

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Obsurveyor posted:

I can confirm too that the armor/weapon boxes table still works. You wouldn't want to check the checkboxes anyway because that freezes the values. Make sure you're running the 64bit version of Cheat Engine.

(I'm still using 6.5 out of paranoia because I can't find any portable version of the latest)

edit: Infinite Ammo Clip script still works fine too.

edit2: Looking at your screenshot again Coolguye, I'm almost positive you're using the 32bit Cheat Engine binary which isn't compatible with a 64bit binary like EDF41.exe.

Just checking back in to say you got it in one. Thanks. Cheat engine gave me 10,000 armor pickups per class in about 6 minutes and I have never been more pleased thinking about all the time I just saved.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Coolguye posted:

The child boxes are unclickable at all times.

edit: nvm too slow

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Robo Reagan posted:

This is the oddest excuse for not having a mic I've ever seen
my computer is across the room and I'm not buying a wireless mic, also my room is loud due to my AC and fan, so I'm fine with not having a mic

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

my computer is across the room and I'm not buying a wireless mic, also my room is loud due to my AC and fan, so I'm fine with not having a mic

Luckily you can push a button and yell EDF! to your heart's content so who gives a poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dis astranagant posted:

Luckily you can push a button and yell EDF! to your heart's content so who gives a poo poo.
as I did multiple times in the midst of shenanigans

as well as "I am sad now." whenever I died

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

That sounds good. Can you point it out?

I can't confirm right now but from a couple pages ago, I think this is it:

SilverMike posted:

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=593521 pox911's table at the bottom of the first page still works for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo, just got the level 40 & 45 Vegalta for air raider and this kind of changes everything.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I don't understand why more people don't like the Vegaltas as a whole. Their revolver cannons are absolute dreams for clearing out big swaths of the enemy. Sure, they're not the speediest things on the planet, but it's a small price to pay for the ability to mow down everything that's even thinking about looking at you.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Coolguye posted:

I don't understand why more people don't like the Vegaltas as a whole. Their revolver cannons are absolute dreams for clearing out big swaths of the enemy. Sure, they're not the speediest things on the planet, but it's a small price to pay for the ability to mow down everything that's even thinking about looking at you.

Vegaltas rock, even the very first one you get is great once you turn your aim speed up all the way. Jump jetting around is fast enough, even if start up/recover animations are a little slow.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
I mostly agree; the Vegaltas with revolver cannons are good except for the Naegling problem. It's a phenomenal vehicle right after you get it, but it's obsolete within 10 levels and you're only halfway to the replacement.

I suspect it has to do with half of the Vegaltas are rocking enough revolver cannons to be useful and the other half are gimmick machines that are either immobile or irredeemably terrible. Yes EDF command, let's strip out all the long range firepower AND most of the armor to strap a pair of flamethrowers to a surface vehicle. There's no way a single ant could ever outflank it and destroy it in a single acid volley.

Also, I'm stuck in that awful period where the last vehicles from Hard mode have enough damage to contribute in Hardest against ants and spiders but I don't have any vehicles with Hardest armor to survive drones or the damage to kill Hectors and Transports. Which kind of limits the missions where I'm useful but can still get new stuff. And goddamn but I have to carry every group I join until we fail the same shieldbearer filled missions enough for an even bigger carry to show up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Obsurveyor posted:

I can't confirm right now but from a couple pages ago, I think this is it:
How do I add that in?

The Vegeta's have been great in every map they have been in. A little hard to drop turrets high enough on, but I am still working on that. Certainly better than the dead in one shot Crawlers which need a turret support. I never saw anyone use a Naegling before.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheBlandName posted:

I mostly agree; the Vegaltas with revolver cannons are good except for the Naegling problem. It's a phenomenal vehicle right after you get it, but it's obsolete within 10 levels and you're only halfway to the replacement.

I suspect it has to do with half of the Vegaltas are rocking enough revolver cannons to be useful and the other half are gimmick machines that are either immobile or irredeemably terrible. Yes EDF command, let's strip out all the long range firepower AND most of the armor to strap a pair of flamethrowers to a surface vehicle. There's no way a single ant could ever outflank it and destroy it in a single acid volley.

Also, I'm stuck in that awful period where the last vehicles from Hard mode have enough damage to contribute in Hardest against ants and spiders but I don't have any vehicles with Hardest armor to survive drones or the damage to kill Hectors and Transports. Which kind of limits the missions where I'm useful but can still get new stuff. And goddamn but I have to carry every group I join until we fail the same shieldbearer filled missions enough for an even bigger carry to show up.

The Fireghost is loving hilarious on Crimson, though.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

How do I add that in?

Just copy and paste it to a text file. Rename it to a .ct extension(make sure it's not .ct.txt) then just do File->Load in CE.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Thanks.

The last few stages I tried solo sure are amazing and approaching roguelike levels of punishment. Get underground and survive the immediate ambush. Now find the Queen. I think my monitor is broken, all I see is red and my health is ticking down constantly. Fight the Mothership, poorly. Now do it again and survive the bullet hell. Say hi to Godzilla.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Thanks.

The last few stages I tried solo sure are amazing and approaching roguelike levels of punishment. Get underground and survive the immediate ambush. Now find the Queen. I think my monitor is broken, all I see is red and my health is ticking down constantly. Fight the Mothership, poorly. Now do it again and survive the bullet hell. Say hi to Godzilla.

The sleeping Erginus is so cute, I felt bad for boming him. Is it true that there's a mecha-erginus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Brick Dust Otis posted:

The sleeping Erginus is so cute, I felt bad for boming him. Is it true that there's a mecha-erginus?

There better be. And also little babby erginus that lure you into a false sense of security when the big daddy super huge one shows up.