Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/4547/four-watch is the site. Edmure looks really good.

House of the Undying is a hell of an effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Arkham will be published too late for my birthday in September and waaay to early for Christmas. :smith:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So far the bag doesn't seem very interesting. The way I understand it it's basically a big die with special faces and, I assume, weighted chances for the rolls. It gives them more design space to do interesting things and make scenarios unique, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Balrog is some bullshit and that saga quest is garbage. Lose a couple of Doom tokens to effects and might as well pack it in.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Fat Samurai posted:

So far the bag doesn't seem very interesting. The way I understand it it's basically a big die with special faces and, I assume, weighted chances for the rolls. It gives them more design space to do interesting things and make scenarios unique, though.

They can easily write an app (or I can easily write my own app) to simulate the bag, although there's something to be said for the physical searching for a token.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm just going to sew myself a cool Chaos Bag with Halloween prints.

EDIT: Any idea on how tournaments would be done?

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 7, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

It's not like the Pathfinder card game and the Pathfinder card game sucks :psyduck:

What fuckin world are you living in

Like forget about you being a mutant that doesn't like the Pathfinder card game for some insane reason it's a game where players can split up to explore multiple locations and encounter the top card at that location and then have some form of randomness in conflict resolution and also it's got campaign mode baked in and you replace your starting deck with new cards as you progress

Like all the RPG elements are ideas that appeared in the Pathfinder game first, just implemented differently

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 7, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fat Samurai posted:

There's also the possibility of different big box expansions having different token sets and altering the odds

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

What fuckin world are you living in

Pathfinder ACG does suck.

In other news I played the monster 12 person LOtR LCG: Siege of Annúminas at GenCon and got our asses handed to us twice. Both times were do to the other groups, not us though :smug:

It has some grade A bullshit cards included in the quest.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

djfooboo posted:

In other news I played the monster 12 person LOtR LCG: Siege of Annúminas at GenCon and got our asses handed to us twice. Both times were do to the other groups, not us though :smug:

Man that's a cool and well thought opinion you have convinced me that this good game is actually bad

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

djfooboo posted:

Oh man I can't wait for event night. I passed on a ticket for it this weekend since it didn't include the playmat.

Man that's a cool and well thought opinion you have convinced me that this good game is actually bad

I'll spell it out for you:

I get where you're seeing similarities with the RPG-lite idea and locations, but that's literally as far as they go. The game is vastly different in every meaningful measure. And if you enjoy Pathfinder that's great, but it is generally not well regarded. I have quite a few "bad" games in my collection, but either myself or my playgroup likes them and that's what matters.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh man I can't wait for event night. I passed on a ticket for it this weekend since it didn't include the playmat.

I'll spell it out for you:

I get where you're seeing similarities with the RPG-lite idea and locations, but that's literally as far as they go. The game is vastly different in every meaningful measure. And if you enjoy Pathfinder that's great, but it is generally not well regarded. I have quite a few "bad" games in my collection, but either myself or my playgroup likes them and that's what matters.

I am convinced by your impressive amounts of evidence

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Your username is very apt.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I dunno man you're the one going it sucks like that explains literally anything about your opinion or is a statement of fact with no room for opinion not me

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I mean if you like a garbage game, that doesn't necessarily make you a garbage person.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Like all the RPG elements are ideas that appeared in the Pathfinder game first, just implemented differently
I too fondly remember finding the horny innkeeper's daughter in the evil castle and having to roll Will not to gently caress her there and then in my Pathfinder RPG. And then relaxing in the tavern and finding a dragon under the table.

Also the shuffling. Oh, god, the shuffling.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Pathfinder is a pretty boring card game where you have very limited decisions and influence over how the turns play out. I guess it's good if you and your friends suck at actual roleplaying and also at board games which require strategy and planning. It got a lot of press when it came out because it was less deck build-y than LotR and you had a persistent character which evolved as you played but nobody I know stuck with it long enough for that to matter. For us, it was kind of like Risk Legacy in that it had some good ideas but you were still playing a boring, random, shallow game and you knew in a few years someone smarter was going to take those good ideas and make something good (see Pandemic:Legacy).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Please stop quoting Literally The Worst. If you haven't blocked him yet don't make the rest of us suffer along with you.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Carteret posted:

I mean if you like a garbage game, that doesn't necessarily make you a garbage person.

Cards against humanity

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I won my first Game of Thrones game against an experienced player yesterday. It felt good.

Ran a Baratheon Fealty deck.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PJOmega posted:

Please stop quoting Literally The Worst. If you haven't blocked him yet don't make the rest of us suffer along with you.

This is quite possibly the saltiest post I've ever seen in this forum

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ConfusedUs posted:

I won my first Game of Thrones game against an experienced player yesterday. It felt good.

Ran a Baratheon Fealty deck.

I think Bara is an excellent starting faction. They have a simple gimmick that when it works can be tough to play around and don't have too many tricks but just enough to make them a little tricky to play well.

Some people recommend Core Stark as a good deck to start with but I think the lack of direction hurts them because without some kind of strategy you're just hoping that you flop better dudes than your opponent and can survive his challenges better than he can survive yours.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PaybackJack posted:

I think Bara is an excellent starting faction. They have a simple gimmick that when it works can be tough to play around and don't have too many tricks but just enough to make them a little tricky to play well.

Some people recommend Core Stark as a good deck to start with but I think the lack of direction hurts them because without some kind of strategy you're just hoping that you flop better dudes than your opponent and can survive his challenges better than he can survive yours.

Yeah. I ran decks of most factions (haven't done a pure Tyrell, although I've done banner Tyrell) solo to get a feel for them. Bara was the most straightforward, closely followed by Greyjoy.

Lannister gives me fits, both playing it and playing against it. SO many moving parts!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/9/the-mumakil/

Preview is up for the first pack in the Haradrim cycle for LOTR.
Gonna catch me an elephant :henget::eonwe:

That Keep Watch side quest looks really great.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/10/the-rains-of-castamere/

New article for the Lannister deluxe box, probably due out in the next month or so. Big impact agenda IMO, especially when combined with the fact you can pull Varys' Riddle mid-challenges and hit something sweet like Counting Coppers. Tyrell will have some really good options with it too by using it with Pulling the Strings. Do your military challenge, then Int and do a mid-challenges Marched to the Wall. After March, Tears of Lys for extra salt.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That agenda is bonkers. Really interesting way of pushing the limits with the design space.

I'm torn on the new Cersei for my Lannister fealty intrigue heavy deck. I think Tywin will remain my only 7 drop and I can abuse more of the intrigue bonuses with old Cersei. Tommen is a great addition though as a 1 of I think.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 10, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What does the last line of Rains refers to? When would the plot leave play?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

GrandpaPants posted:

What does the last line of Rains refers to? When would the plot leave play?

I have a feeling the Agenda will need some FAQing, but my guess is that it's just future proofing. Or is there a card that forces a player to select a new plot currently which might work to counter revealed Rains Schemes?

e: vvv Oh, that seems really obvious now. Right.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

At the end of the round when the scheme plot would normally get discarded it doesn't go to your plot discard pile, it leaves the game. Each of your schemes are 1 time use basically.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 10, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Does it get discarded when it's just revealed?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can't reveal them normally in the plot phase, only via intrigue challenges. They can't be revealed until you trigger the agenda, then you flip the scheme of your choice and it becomes your active plot until the end of the round, then instead of it going to your discarded plot pile it is removed from the game.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
Essentially the gold and initiative are wasted on the Scheme plots - you get the When Revealed trigger, and then the claim for the rest of the round is now the Claim shown on the Scheme. The reserve also matters.

Flip Valar Morghulis (with its 0 claim), then win an intrigue by 5 and replace Valar with pretty much anything. Now you have your normal 1/2 claim even for the intrigue you just won.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

In lotr campaign mode, if I lose a hero and don't replace them, can I dial my threat down next mission for the next mission to reflect 2 heroes?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Baron Porkface posted:

In lotr campaign mode, if I lose a hero and don't replace them, can I dial my threat down next mission for the next mission to reflect 2 heroes?

Yes, but you still have to include the +1 penalty afaik.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Éowyn/Boromir mono tactics secrecy/valour deck may be the worst thing to take against Escape from Mount Gram, but I can safely say it works!

Tips:

Sometimes you need to pay full price for Resourceful. Twice.
11 willpower total in a deck really isn't enough.
Favor of the Valar is a good card. But the Palantir I used to hit 50 so I could attach a third Favor is better. (also see Close Call)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Lord of the Rings LCG is a great game. I just did my first attempt at Into The Pit. The very last quest phase revealed a goblin that would have had to attack me undefended, and would have killed my two remaining heroes. I was able to discard my last card in my hand to trigger Eowyn's +1 Willpower effect to clear the quest and finish the round.

Certainly my most exciting finish.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Those last minute victories are the best, like when one player gets eliminated and the other manages to limp across the finish line with 48 threat.

Also I put Spirit Éowyn into a deck a little while ago and realised I'd forgotten just how good she is. Same deck when building it I was going through the cards (I normally use RingsDB now) and Unexpected Courage blew my mind. Genuinely forgot it existed and haven't used it in a deck for months.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Single Tight Female posted:

Those last minute victories are the best, like when one player gets eliminated and the other manages to limp across the finish line with 48 threat.

Also I put Spirit Éowyn into a deck a little while ago and realised I'd forgotten just how good she is. Same deck when building it I was going through the cards (I normally use RingsDB now) and Unexpected Courage blew my mind. Genuinely forgot it existed and haven't used it in a deck for months.

Both those cards are really great. I popped unexpected courage on Lore Denethor in my last game, which was very helpful to have him defend in a turn and be able to use his ability to manipulate the encounter deck.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
With Golden Shield Spirit Eowyn can be a great quester and or an amazing defender. I almost want to say she's the best hero in the game right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

frgildan posted:

With Golden Shield Spirit Eowyn can be a great quester and or an amazing defender. I almost want to say she's the best hero in the game right now.

There are too many ridiculous combos available for that to be clear cut.

But it's still Boromir.