Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

So, I finally have 50 Pikachu candies and I have this little guy...

But I'm scared to upgrade him on the chance I will get a lovely moveset! He's so perfect, I'm afraid I'll RUIN him. Give me courage, SA!

pop an egg and deny yourself the excuse. time to mash more birds and rats into soilent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dahbadu posted:

But I'm scared to upgrade him on the chance I will get a lovely moveset! He's so perfect, I'm afraid I'll RUIN him. Give me courage, SA!

Raichu is poo poo. Keep him as pikachu forever.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

Go for it man, they may eventually add HMs to the game. Plus even if it got the shittiest moves it'll be more powerful

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Dahbadu posted:

Raichu isn't great anyway and the difference between its best and worst isn't that big. You've got nothing to lose.

Save the evolution anxiety for a Growlithe :ohdear: There should be a hotline specifically for people who got an Arcanine with Bulldoze.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cartouche posted:

I had a 23cp rat break out 3 times today against my level 11 trainer. Those claiming it has not been made harder are full of it. This is not just a case of rotten rng.

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/761301330967326720

Old news. Stop trying to derail the scanner/no scanner chat :colbert:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Scanner is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z95bCP_pOhs
the other, electronic Scanner is way better but I can't find his songs on YouTube

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Cartouche posted:

Problem I see with the use of scanners spoofs and maps and such is that the ship has sailed and damage done.

The second point is also valid. I had a 23cp rat break out 3 times today against my level 11 trainer. Those claiming it has not been made harder are full of it. This is not just a case of rotten rng.

Niantic also straight up said that it was busted and they're working on it.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Cowman posted:

i had no idea that was publicized

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

Please keep calling me a r- tho, really lends credence to the "this is just like torrenting in 2006" argument

I bet you're fun at parties. Do you make sure the DJ owns legit copies off all the music he is playing and suggest the host of the party kick him out if he doesn't?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Cowman posted:

They straight up did not say that. They said it did not meet their "underlying product goals" and that they would keep us updated as they "strive to improve this feature"

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Reik posted:

They straight up did not say that. They said it did not meet their "underlying product goals" and that they would keep us updated as they "strive to improve this feature"

brah i think its that tweet up there

i mean it wasnt new 4 days ago but i didnt know they posted that either

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Roro posted:

Does skiplagged only work in New York?? Because I tried running it for my location and got nothing. I guess I can scan pokestumble if I'm curious.

Skiplagged works anywhere that someone is running a Python script to populate the map. Start running an instance for your town and it will be populated.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Skiplagged works anywhere that someone is running a Python script to populate the map. Start running an instance for your town and it will be populated.

i swear that desktop picks up other scans too, ive seen partial scan areas decaying that i def do not have coverage over

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
If the issue is server load from scanning precise poke locations why not have some sort of feature which tells you generally what areas pokes spawn in? Like how in the games your pokedex could tell you "Sandshrew appears on Routes ABC and XYZ."

That way if you want a particular poke at least you can have a reasonable estimation that if you spend time in a particular area you might see it.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

BrianBoitano posted:

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/761301330967326720

Old news. Stop trying to derail the scanner/no scanner chat :colbert:

Has there been any discussion about what this implies? It sounds like where a ball hits (not talking about the circle) is taken into account when deciding the escape chance. eg. just nicking it might result in a lower capture chance than if you land it on its head, and the problem is the client is misreporting throws as "just nicked it" no matter where you land it. Maybe.

Er, I mean, scanners are bad, stop cheating at cartoon monster games.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Licarn posted:

Has there been any discussion about what this implies? It sounds like where a ball hits (not talking about the circle) is taken into account when deciding the escape chance. eg. just nicking it might result in a lower capture chance than if you land it on its head, and the problem is the client is misreporting throws as "just nicked it" no matter where you land it. Maybe.

Er, I mean, scanners are bad, stop cheating at cartoon monster games.
I've interpreted it to mean "the base capture rate is exactly the same as it always is, however, the modifier bonuses (1.2x, 1.5x, etc) that you get for hitting "great/excellent" shots aren't working at the moment"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bill Barber posted:

I've interpreted it to mean "the base capture rate is exactly the same as it always is, however, the modifier bonuses (1.2x, 1.5x, etc) that you get for hitting "great/excellent" shots aren't working at the moment"

I've interpreted it as a call to smite the enemies of Allahkazam.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Haha I just hosed up. I took down a gym that was full of trash (really, absolute trash, the first thing was a 200cp Weedle), then installed my new dictatorship upon it with a 1000cp Hypno. Not my best, but not bad.

Then I went to train against it to up the rank a bit and uh. I have nothing that can beat it. :doh:

All my best guys are terrible against Psychic.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i just caught, no poo poo, about 16 charmanders in an hour of walking

i can now evolve and level up a charizard but i need to find a good IV charmander first, everything had been sub 50%

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I threw caution into the wind and did it! I got the moveset I wanted:

Real talk: Raichu doesn't say anything cool when you click on him. POO! :argh:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

If the issue is server load from scanning precise poke locations why not have some sort of feature which tells you generally what areas pokes spawn in? Like how in the games your pokedex could tell you "Sandshrew appears on Routes ABC and XYZ."

That way if you want a particular poke at least you can have a reasonable estimation that if you spend time in a particular area you might see it.

Niantic is really missing some opportunities to have fun with the ar part of the game. Announcing spawns of rare mons in random places would be cool. Challenges for xp bonuses involving capturing or gyms, lots of cool things could be done

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

It's dumb that they don't have a world map of stops or anything at all to supplement the loss of tracking

The way they have it on timers rn precludes a bit of what you're proposing. It would have to be automated to have any chance of being feasible

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dahbadu posted:

Real talk: Raichu doesn't say anything cool when you click on him. POO! :argh:

You were warned.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Roar posted:

I don't give a poo poo about who uses scanners or whatever but I'm honestly perplexed at the people upset about how the game is unplayable if you can't zero the gently caress in on Pokemon while you're out and about.

You wander around and hopefully find something cool, I'm not sure why not having a Pokemon genie that tells you where everything is diminishes your fun value

That being said I never bothered with the footstep scanner anyways so maybe I'm just not one of the cool kids

Finally a post from a sound mind. I've read five pages so far just trying to keep up with the last 12 hours and it's just bickering. Like yeah, we get it, maps are cheating. And yeah, we get it, the tracker is broken. But I play in Canada, we never had a "working" tracker since before July 17, and I live in a rural area and have to drive 30 minutes just to get to a good location.

I like to look at maps to re-affirm that there are no other good spots in my city other than the one I'm at. I'm level 23, so I could probably start grinding out some decent snorlaxes and laprases, but I'll just be doing it again at level 30 and then some more once I desire perfect IVs. I don't even like gym battles right now, but that level 23 snorlax isn't going to be very useful in a few weeks regardless.

So in the mean time I'm playing as I always have, running from lured pokestop to pokestop and catching more than I have the balls for. And if someone wants to scan and yell onyx for everyone as they run by that's cool too.

It's dumb that they don't have a world map of stops or anything at all to supplement the loss of tracking

The way they have it on timers rn precludes a bit of what you're proposing. It would have to be automated to have any chance of being feasible

quit double posting jesus christ use your edit and vvv and ^^^s.

edit: vvvvv go look back a few pages, it was.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 7, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
its 2016 my dude, no one cares if you're double posting as long as you're not spamming poo poo for fives or tens of posts

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Is this difficult to do?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You may have infinite time to wander around hoping you get something neat, but I don't. I don't have a bunch of lured stops to run between in my area. I don't have a ton of Lapras and Snorlaxes around me. All I would like is the ability to choose a direction to walk when I'm with my friends trying to catch anything that isn't a bird or rat. Scanners have shown me, if nothing else, that the game isn't as random as I thought. I used to walk for blocks and not see a single Pokemon and wonder what was up. As it turns out if you're not in a specific place at a specific time, you won't get anything. And that specific place and time actually is random, so I can't even go there on a consistent basis. Seriously, if you're someone who doesn't understand why people could be miffed about the loss of the tracker, I envy you. I only wish I had that kind of environment to play the game in. I don't even live in a really rural area or in a poor part of the city. I just don't have that level of "Oh, ho hum, I'll just walk in a random direction for a couple miles and see how many things I get between 10 lured stops".

Seriously though, "You just wander around and hope you find something cool" is the most condescending poo poo. I'm not going to wander around for hours hoping I see a Drowzee. Especially since it's possible I'll be wandering in an area where it isn't possible for them to spawn. And with a busted map, I have no way of knowing that.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 7, 2016

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I was walking down the street today and saw some workers putting up signage for a new store or restaurant called "The Poke Spot". My initial thought was "you only have one pokestop here, maybe find a better location".

Turns out, poke is a type of Hawaiian food and the world does not revolve around Pokemon to the degree that I think it does.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

SonicRulez posted:

Seriously, if you're someone who doesn't understand why people could be miffed about the loss of the tracker, I envy you. I only wish I had that kind of environment to play the game in. I don't even live in a really rural area or in a poor part of the city. I just don't have that level of "Oh, ho hum, I'll just walk in a random direction for a couple miles and see how many things I get between 10 lured stops".

I understand it, I watched streamers enjoy that feature for a few weeks while I was unable to play. I'm only saying that until you're level 30, you may as well take this time to focus on leveling up. By the time you reach level 30, who knows, maybe the feature will be replaced or repaired.

And yeah, I don't mind walking between stops, because it is the fastest way to grind pidgey and rattata and drowzee candies, while also being able to collect tons of pokeballs. Feels like a no brainer as I type it out.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Alif, Lam, Meem.

This is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance for those conscious of Niantic -

Who believe in the unseen, establish prayer, and spend out of what We have gotten from stops,

And who believe in what has been revealed to you, [O slowbrohammad], and what was revealed before you, and of the Hereafter they are certain [in faith].

Those are upon [right] guidance from their in-game tracker, and it is those who are the successful.

Indeed, those who disbelieve - it is all the same for them whether you warn them or do not warn them of scanners - they will not believe.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Abra has set a seal upon their hearts and upon their hearing, and over their scanner is a veil. And for them is a great punishment.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I saw an omanyte on the beach today and caught it right before the servers decided to blow up. That's my Go story for the day.

Are the servers still hosed? I can't get any info from PokemonAdvisor and can't figure out why.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

Is there a guide for this?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Eyochigan posted:

I understand it, I watched streamers enjoy that feature for a few weeks while I was unable to play. I'm only saying that until you're level 30, you may as well take this time to focus on leveling up. By the time you reach level 30, who knows, maybe the feature will be replaced or repaired.

And yeah, I don't mind walking between stops, because it is the fastest way to grind pidgey and rattata and drowzee candies, while also being able to collect tons of pokeballs. Feels like a no brainer as I type it out.

You know what helps leveling up? Catching the ones I don't have. The ones that i'd be awesome if I could walk to when they pop up on the map. I know you don't mind walking between stops, that's more or less how it's to be played. But for those who may have several miles between stops, that isn't exactly practical. Nor fun.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Blanketspace posted:

Is there a guide for this?

you can probably set an area to scan in desktop and see if skiplaggs or whatever picks it up. i imagine that they use the same scanning thinger from pokemongodev

all you have to do is learn python i guess

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

If you are the only one in the area with the app running, and you reboot the app, does it regenerate new nearby spawns?

I only ask as it seems that ones no longer nearby are staying on the list until pushed off by new ones. Most of the time I am walking around with 9 nearby, and as soon as I reboot the app it shows 1 or 2 until it eventually fills up again. Usually starting with pidgies and rats.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Cartouche posted:

If you are the only one in the area with the app running, and you reboot the app, does it regenerate new nearby spawns?

I only ask as it seems that ones no longer nearby are staying on the list until pushed off by new ones. Most of the time I am walking around with 9 nearby, and as soon as I reboot the app it shows 1 or 2 until it eventually fills up again. Usually starting with pidgies and rats.

no everyone sees the same everything always, player level determines CP (incense is the exception)

all spawns are anchored to a small area and on an interval

also the ingame tracker is totally broken, dont even look at it

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Bacon Hat posted:

no everyone sees the same everything always, player level determines CP (incense is the exception)

all spawns are anchored to a small area and on an interval

also the ingame tracker is totally broken, dont even look at it

Right, but do spawns exist if nobody is running the app in the area? I cannot imagine they would keep track of the location of spawns in remote areas if no one was there to have them pop up on the list.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Cartouche posted:

Right, but do spawns exist if nobody is running the app in the area?

ya

wait now what the hell are you talking about, what is "the app"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
if a pokemon spawns in a forest and there's no one around.... does it make a sound?

• Locked thread