Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They recently re-added Don't Trust the B---- to UK Netflix so everyone shut up I'm gonna be busy for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I meant in how it was shot. It looks like the practice take.

Aren't they old rich white dudes that drink and smoke a lot? Their fighting is going to be awkward.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm announcing the TV IV Award nominees tomorrow, so if you haven't voted yet, this is your last chance to do so. I close the ballot at noon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mu Zeta posted:

Aren't they old rich white dudes that drink and smoke a lot? Their fighting is going to be awkward.

I'd also agree that it was probably intentional.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

muscles like this? posted:

He says in his last comedy special that he got laser eye surgery so he doesn't need them any more.

To be fair, last time he came through town he said he was glad he wasn't gonna look like "black Milhouse" now, so

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sober posted:

Mae Whitman is pretty drat good and it's a shame she's basically a one-note prop in something like Arrested Development.

Also her acting across Lauren Graham really gives Alexis Bledel a run for her money for the better mother-daughter pair. Like if anything I hope she does make an appearance in the GG revival in some fashion.
She's really good, and she and Alia Shawkat are best friends IRL, and it's kind of insane to me that they haven't been given a Netflix vehicle yet. I think they'd be great in a show similar to Broad City or Apartment 23 (which I recognize are two very different shows, but the central relationships are similar).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here are two series coming to Hulu later this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIPRjWN8hcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK0nxmjhHfI

Also next Thursday Hulu has another Triumph The Insult Comic Dog special from the RNC/DNC. That should be a good laugh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Somehow I doubt that "Shut Eye" is a real term.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Somehow I doubt that "Shut Eye" is a real term.

You would be incorrect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjPsnfysrp8

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 7, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man. I watched all of Mr. Robot in the last 3 days, and it was amazing. And now im picking up where I left off in season 2 of 12 Monkeys.

Tv is so good right now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have never heard of the term before. I guess I'm just too burned out by all the shows that just constantly make up names for things like they're real.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've only heard "shut eye" in the movies. Nobody says it in real life.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Speaking of this, F for Fake is excellent and should be watched by everyone.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I've only heard "shut eye" in the movies. Nobody says it in real life.

It's a common expression down our way.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I"m sure "shut eye" is only really common if you are a magician otherwise it crazy.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

X-O posted:

Also next Thursday Hulu has another Triumph The Insult Comic Dog special from the RNC/DNC. That should be a good laugh.

I wish Hulu would make some kind of conclusion to the Booth at the End.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

X-O posted:

These trailers are poo poo. :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Other similar phrases I've heard are "drinking his own kool-aid" and the less colorful "believing his own hype."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
People say "I'm gonna get me some shut eye" in the South all the got-dang time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait, are we arguing that "shut-eye" isn't an actual phrase? What back-water hole did you grow up in if you're unaware of it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

Wait, are we arguing that "shut-eye" isn't an actual phrase? What back-water hole did you grow up in if you're unaware of it?

Look if I haven't heard the 4 people I talk to use that phase then it doesn't exist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Look if I haven't heard the 4 people I talk to use that phase then it doesn't exist.

I just realized my post is mod sass. See you guys in a month I guess!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
"shut eye" no hyphen as the show uses it is different than "shut-eye" hyphenated, if you actually watched the 30 second teaser trailer you would know this...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unless one of you is actually a stage magician, it seems like what's apparently an industry term maybe wouldn't be very common in your social circles.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

"shut eye" no hyphen as the show uses it is different than "shut-eye" hyphenated, if you actually watched the 30 second teaser trailer you would know this...
But then we wouldn't be able to argue about things about which they know nothing. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I just realized my post is mod sass. See you guys in a month I guess!

No, I was talking about that show which is saying that it is a specific magician/con artist term which I have never heard before.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just read that George RR Martin's other series, Wild Cards has been optioned to be turned into a TV show but it turns out that he has some kind of crazy restrictive deal with HBO which means he can't actually work on it.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
The dude is notorious for working really slowly. Imagine if he would split his time between even more projects.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just read that George RR Martin's other series, Wild Cards has been optioned to be turned into a TV show but it turns out that he has some kind of crazy restrictive deal with HBO which means he can't actually work on it.

So how's that different from Game of Thrones?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What's George up to?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I meant in how it was shot. It looks like the practice take.

Well it was a take alright. Here it is with the proper audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnR40pNkIkQ

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Olympics Chat, since that's the only thing worthwhile going on TV wise: Today I had my every-four-years realization that I really like Handball for some reason. It's fun to watch.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This may be a dumb question, but will the Paralympics get any air time this year, on NBC or elsewhere? We look forward to watching it every year, and nothing is ever televised.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

What's George up to?

Oh Clive.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I have the same realization every 4 years, but with Curling, instead.

I love the Winter Games for the hockey, but curling is pretty cool as well. Very relaxing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gonz posted:

I have the same realization every 4 years, but with Curling, instead.

I love the Winter Games for the hockey, but curling is pretty cool as well. Very relaxing.

Nothing relaxing about Handball. But watching Archery on the NBC app with the No Commentary option is relaxing as hell.

The No Commentary option is my favorite thing in the world actually. Just watching it like you're there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spatula City posted:

Parenthood is okay, except that Peter Krause and Monica Potter's characters are consistently infuriating.

Krause's character doesn't bother me too much (he's basically a sane man in an insane world) but Potter's character drives me nuts. Not only does the show just love to poo poo on her, but she treats everyone around her like garbage. Joy Bryant's character gets pretty unlikable at times, too, but at least they eventually drop the drama with her shithead family.

The underappreciated members of that cast are Sam Jaeger and Sarah Ramos. They're terribly underwritten but they really elevate their material.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Haddie? What do you like about Haddie?

Sam Jaeger was hired solely to be the alpha hunkasaurus on the show and he accomplishes that well.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

X-O posted:

Nothing relaxing about Handball. But watching Archery on the NBC app with the No Commentary option is relaxing as hell.

The No Commentary option is my favorite thing in the world actually. Just watching it like you're there.

DirecTV has specialized channels that have no commentary. I watched Table Tennis and the US/China basketball game yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

Haddie? What do you like about Haddie?

Sam Jaeger was hired solely to be the alpha hunkasaurus on the show and he accomplishes that well.

Like I said, I don't think Haddies is particularly deeply written, but I've always felt that Ramos did a great job of portraying a kid who has no idea where she is in the world and doesn't have the support she needs from her family. Maybe it hit home for me because I watched both of my sisters go through very similar experiences, but I thought she did a great job with some very weak scripts.

• Locked thread