Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Shadow225 posted:

Man I wish he and his wife didn't fap to anime. :sigh:

I'm glad they're comfortable with their sexual preferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Shadow225 posted:

Unfortunately, the friend I convinced to buy Terra Mystica wants me to keep my eye out for any deals on like new or brand new copies of Tanto Cuore. Man I wish he and his wife didn't fap to anime. :sigh:

You could try to convince him to pick up Argent or Tragedy Looper if he needs to get anime themed games.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Shadow225 posted:

Unfortunately, the friend I convinced to buy Terra Mystica wants me to keep my eye out for any deals on like new or brand new copies of Tanto Cuore. Man I wish he and his wife didn't fap to anime. :sigh:

Get them into Battlecon and you'll be safe in the knowledge you've pushed their flaws in a constructive direction.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Played CitOW yesterday as purple guy/lady/sexmonster, new cards (I know, I know). Was very lucky to have nobles drop in the first two regions, so I set up camp there and build a wall of claws in the third region, next to the Empire. Then it was a matter of picking Noble upgrades (can move them when moving a cultist, add 1 point to my Domination value and my big demon counts as 3 noble tokens) and I was able to consistently Dominate and tick on that area while keeping people away, and slowly adding corruption to the regions so they would score on the 4-5th Ruin card. I even manage to Dominate the Empire when a lucky Old World card prevented battles there.

I prefer the old upgrades, but it's still a good game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Talking about bad art, if anyone is interested in playing Yomi online, let me know.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

dropkickpikachu posted:

Does Legends of Andor hold up well compared to some of the coop games that have come out since then? That's a pretty good discount on it.

House Louse posted:

You can also lose the game instantly by drawing the wrong card.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Re Legends of Andor I'm in the minority but I liked the game. But I have come to realize it is helpful to let people know it is a "tactically solve this specific mission of a problem with your limited time and resources" game. It is not a "stab monsters inna face to take their stuff & level up" game.

The first two or three "missions" I quite enjoyed. It's the one where set-up is randomly determined that sucks, and where my gaming group (which includes House Louse) basically stopped.

As Mister Sinewave says, it's a puzzle game. It is NOT D&D Magical Murder Hobos: The Game. Focusing on killing monsters will cost you the game. It is a bit tense, as sometimes it'll look like you're just about to lose, and bam! You'll find the right movement and win. The last mission my group played, though, has random set-up rules, and we basically lost the game in the set-up phase, but took us two turns to see it. We haven't played it since.

I enjoyed the game up until that level, and am tempted to drag it back out and maybe just skip that mission to see what the next one holds. Though maybe that's "cheating".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Marry - gently caress - Kill: Tom Vasel, Wil Wheaton, Rutibex

Rutibex makes his own rules, Wil Wheaton gets the rules wrong and Vasel only cares about the playing pieces. Kill all three.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That is not how the game is played!!!!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow225 posted:

Tell them to get the Oktoberfest edition first. Its much better than the base Tanto Cuore, and the same price.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Oh my god gently caress off forever you gross mother fucker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

That is not how the game is played!!!!

It is if you're Rutibex or Wil Wheaton.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The correct answer is gently caress Tom Vasel by covering his face with his dumb hat, marry Wil Wheaton because he's a cuc.k anyways, and kill Rutibex becsuse he's too dumb to fight back.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I'm looking for the best pirate theme board game out there and based on reviews a constant recommendation seems to be Merchants and Marauders anyone have any experience with it and how it plays?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I'm looking for the best pirate theme board game out there and based on reviews a constant recommendation seems to be Merchants and Marauders anyone have any experience with it and how it plays?
Don't bother, it's just a long roll and move dice feast.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I've yet to play a pirate theme game that was actually tolerable. Seems like a theme good designers stay away from

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Isn't Libertalia the thread-approved pirate game?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How mobile friendly is the app? I don't have a tablet or anything like that so i'd just have to stick it on my phone.

I played this on an iPad, and it definitely seems to be designed for a tablet. However, I just tried out the app on my phone and while the text was a little small I wouldn't say it was terrible. I think a phone would be perfectly serviceable to play with.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Saguaro PI posted:

Get them into Battlecon and you'll be safe in the knowledge you've pushed their flaws in a constructive direction.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CaptainRightful posted:

Isn't Libertalia the thread-approved pirate game?

Libertalia is indeed good, but it's not a move and trade game like most pirate games.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Played an 8 hour 3 player game of Mage knight, my brain hurt

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey guys, how is Star Trek Ascendancy different from Mage Knight, rules-wise? I'd like a copy of Mage Knight but with a Star Trek coat of paint - but I'm not so keen on adulterated Mage Knight.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Played Scythe for the first time last night and had a bad first impression with it. It was a four player game and two persons already played it like three or four times, but basically they completely destroyed us two newbies. They both did like 100+ points and left the others in the 30-40 range. There was basically little we could do about it and we both agreed right there that we weren't going to play it again in a long while.

Is it always like that? I was really excited about playing it and the game left me flat and that's weird, because I love worker placement games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey guys, how is Star Trek Ascendancy different from Mage Knight, rules-wise? I'd like a copy of Mage Knight but with a Star Trek coat of paint - but I'm not so keen on adulterated Mage Knight.

-No day/night
-Always get 1 experience for exploration
-Star terrain which inflicts damage if you stay there
-Engage enemies adjacent instead of moving into their space
-No artifacts. Dungeons and ruins replaced with away missions which you assign crew (units) to fight. Can be won with diplomacy (influence). Crew take damage in this phase, not the ship.
-Ship combat lets you block partial damage but crew can't be used to block. Your ship's defense is 1 unless you have an uninjured crew to "captain" the ship.

Other than that it's literally Mage Knight with different art.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Talas posted:

Played Scythe for the first time last night and had a bad first impression with it. It was a four player game and two persons already played it like three or four times, but basically they completely destroyed us two newbies. They both did like 100+ points and left the others in the 30-40 range. There was basically little we could do about it and we both agreed right there that we weren't going to play it again in a long while.

Is it always like that? I was really excited about playing it and the game left me flat and that's weird, because I love worker placement games.

If one person is scoring 100+ points, let alone two people, you were probably doing something wrong.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Talas posted:

Bolded part is your problem, I imagine. I haven't played Scythe, but I imagine it's one of those games where someone who knows what they're doing will always trump the guys who don't. Quite a few games are like that, even Tokaido can get that way.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Talas posted:

I would blame the players instead of the game. They should have been counseling you on what actions are important when, and explaining their goals enough that you'd have a chance to counter them (or better yet, pointing out what the other experienced player was doing and suggesting how to stop them). At the very least, they should have been giving you some advice on how to make more efficient and effective choices. Consistently performing both a top and bottom row action really improves your game.

An experienced player crushing a newbie so that they don't want to play the game again counts as a real-life strategic loss, in my opinion. For what it's worth, I've yet to play a game of Scythe that had a runaway leader or huge point disparity by the end.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

Bolded part is your problem, I imagine. I haven't played Scythe, but I imagine it's one of those games where someone who knows what they're doing will always trump the guys who don't. Quite a few games are like that, even Tokaido can get that way.

I'd say the biggest advantage that a veteran player would have is being able to see when the game is about to end and knowing when to start grabbing up territory. Scythe doesn't have any cards or events to reveal mid-game that would take a new player by surprise.

If I'm calculating this correctly, a perfect game (maximum popularity, all six stars, every possible unit and building controlling a separate territory, including the factory, with maximum building bonus) would get you 115 points plus whatever cash and resources you had at the end. The second place player wouldn't have a sixth star or the factory and could get a maximum of 102 plus cash and resources. I can't imagine two players breaking 100 in one game unless they were doing something wrong or did a really poor job of teaching the game to the others.

E: forgot that the factory counts as 3 territories.

I've only played a few games but the highest score I saw was low 80's. Lowest was maybe 40.

Medium Style fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 7, 2016

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Yeah, I figured that much.... thank you guys.

Medium Style posted:

If one person is scoring 100+ points, let alone two people, you were probably doing something wrong.

It was funny when they started going "oh, I forgot to tell you about this thing" right after they did it. It was once of those times when I really wished I was a rules lawyer... I suppose I'll go check the rules one of this days. Thanks again.

Edit:

Medium Style posted:

If I'm calculating this correctly, a perfect game (maximum popularity, all six stars, every possible unit and building controlling a separate territory with maximum building bonus) would get you 107 points plus whatever cash and resources you had at the end. I can't imagine two players breaking 100 in one game unless they were doing something wrong or did a really poor job of teaching the game to the others.

One did 103 and the other did 101, they never fought once while I made the mistake of attacking the other newbie early for an encounter token, I was Polania. I didn't expect she would put all her power into that fight but she did and I lost. I guess that was it for us.

Talas fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 7, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Star Trek Ascendecy is not the Mage Knight reskin, that's Star Trek Frontiers.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Talas posted:

7 posts and still no correction that Scythe is not a worker placement game?

edit: :goonsay:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

ETB posted:

What was the verdict on Via Nebula? My FLGS has it currently...
One of my favorites this year so far. I only wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a game that'll fill a whole night by itself or your group doesn't like having their plans hosed with.

Also, I played my first 2 player game today and it was better than I thought it'd be, so I'll go back to this for a second:

Acceptableloss posted:

Hey guys I need a board game recommendation. I've been browsing boardgamegeek trying to find something for the wife and I to play on our own that will also be good for group boardgames night without consuming a whole evening.

1) Plays in 60min or less
2) Is good with 2 players but will support more
3) Is relatively complex - on par with Agricola or even higher
4) Board game with fun bits and bobs, but not a minis game

Possibilities so far include Seasons, and Euphoria. Looking for other ideas to read up on.

Thanks!
1) Definitely fits this. I think the 2 player game took us little more than half an hour (not counting setup), or at least that's what it felt like.
2) I originally thought it wouldn't work that well with 2 since using the routes and resources other players make available is a big part of the game, but it's actually still good. It definitely felt like we were getting into each others way a turn later than in a 3 or 4 player game, but the game still functioned.
3) It's not a heavy game by any means but there's a lot of player interaction and variable setup, so there's still a lot of depth.
4) The board and art in general are very pretty and there are pig meeples.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Kemet question: Can I use a day DI card during a battle? I'm trying to use two DI cards in battle: one to gain 2 prayer points, the other to py prayer point and gain an attack. If not, can I use it directly before the battle on an opponent's turn?

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 19, 2016

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

Kemet question: Can I use a day DI card during a battle? I'm trying to use two DI cards in battle: one to gain 2 prayer points, the other to py prayer point and gain an attack. If not, can I use it directly before the battle on an opponent's turn?

I think it is no to both questions. Day cards need to be used on your own turn, outside of battle.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

No to both. Day is your turn only.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tekopo posted:

Talking about bad art, if anyone is interested in playing Yomi online, let me know.

Same.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lord of the Rings LCG - 5837
Me - 0

Might have to build a deck beyond the four in the box.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Got a game of Vast in earlier, 3p with Cave, Dragon, Knight. Barely won as Knight, Dragon had just woken up and would have made it to the exit next turn. I think 4p is better, but this was definitely interesting. Enjoyed it quite a bit but I think I'll be hunting for 4p next time.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Cave feels very much a non-player imo. I think they need faster way to get tiles out, since that is almost completely at the behest of everyone else. I tried it out at gen con with 5 with me as the cave. It's interesting but you can't even start your win condition until long after the others are near theirs. By the time a player won i still had about 1/3rd the stack left, and that is just to start trying to win.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Tekopo posted:

3rd here, and I'd play with you two. My Steam name is burger time, we might be friends already? I haven't played in a while but I'll be back on sometime this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Ropes4u posted:

Lord of the Rings LCG - 5837
Me - 0

Might have to build a deck beyond the four in the box.

If you've only used the starter decks you should experiment with some other things ASAP, there are a lot of meh cards in the core set you could replace with more usefull things. If you have only the core set for deckbuilding, forget about adhering to the 50 card requirement, since you don't have enough good cards for that yet