Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Kirk" is just the Scottish word for church, in case anyone was wondering. They get married on the churchboat.

Trying to get the fairy flute isn't worth it in any sense. The abilities really aren't that great. Haste and regen statuses are good, but applying them via a spell means they don't last very long. And esuna is just a remedy. You should have plenty of those from stealing and H&C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Stealing rare stuff from bosses is basically useless, especially if you keep up with Chocobo Hot and Cold. There's an ability later that makes the hassle disappear entirely, but it's really late game and the stuff you'd be stealing with it is no better than the stuff you get by getting that ability.

If it's a happy accident, great, but unless some insane low-level strats rely on the rare steals, it's not worth sitting there and trying to get the fairy flute from Hilgigaris.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I will steal everything good from the bosses in this game EXCEPT the Beatrix crap and the Fairy Flute. gently caress stealing that thing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Figured I should separate this into its own post in case you wanted to add this information to the update.

When Eiko summons Fenrir, he in turn calls Titan to do the attack.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The cactus enemies are called Cactuars, not Cactaurs. As a random fact in the original they're Sabotenders, which is what they go with in the localized versions of the MMOs. A pun between Japanese word for "cactus" and "pretender".

Also as I played the game as a kid, Iifa Tree was pronounced "Lifa Tree" in my head for the longest time.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Kanfy posted:

Also as I played the game as a kid, Iifa Tree was pronounced "Lifa Tree" in my head for the longest time.

Me too. It's not like we have words that begin with two I's in English to compare with.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really love how the game handles Dagger. She's actually smart and fairly capable (without coming across as a wonder woman) but the extreme things that happened to her (her mother trying to kill her, losing her Eidolons, her first attempt at independence ending horribly, etc) push that to the side. She doesn't bounce back immediately, like many writers would have her do. It takes her time before she's comfortable again

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gonna plug The White Dragon's stream for this game that's currently going as of this post. He's up to Burmecia right now.

Lavender menace
Nov 7, 2012

by Lowtax
The jolly green giant fight feels awkwardly shoehorned in, no foreshadowing and then dismissed in two lines of dialogue. IIRC he is the first enemy to have a 1/256 steal slot and the only boss to have one before you can mitigate those odds.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The optional fight when you escape from Alexandria also has a Rare Steal, though it's not too useful except as a nice defense buff for Steiner or Freya since it's heavy armor, and after that section you're not gonna play as Steiner or Freya until Disc 3 anyway.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 6, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I have legitimately thought of buying a new laptop for the FF9 port. I bought this one last year. I'm not great with money

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So if you look closely, you'll see the Hill Gigas fashioned himself a knuckle duster out of a ship's anchor. That's really cool.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
From the screenshots, the port just looks odd to me. They massively upped the resolution on the model textures, but the prerendered backgrounds look untouched, so you've got these beautifully sharp characters wandering through a world of pixelated blobs and everyone seems weirdly out of place.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Afaik there weren't any original files left to convert so they got left out.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Is this the game where the source code was literally printed on paper and stored somewhere?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This is the first review I see for the game on Steam:

:3:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I too prefer using Eiko in battle over Dagger
but the great part is that no character is unfun to use anyway

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eiko has my favorite line in this game, but we aren't there yet.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Eiko is an interesting character. I can see why she's unpopular, but I don't feel one way or the other about her, but I feel they handled her pretty well. The only character I really can't sand in this game is holy gently caress guys, spoilers, geez

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kheldarn posted:

This is the first review I see for the game on Steam:

:3:

Sorry but the skill is Protect Girls.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

DeafNote posted:

I too prefer using Eiko in battle over Dagger
but the great part is that no character is unfun to use anyway

Yup. While the two do play fairly similar to each other, Eiko has a major in white magic with a minor in summoning while Garnet is the reverse. I prefer Eiko's wider range of support spells to Garnet's wide variety of elemental AoE summons.

However, if you keep up in side quests say Chocobo Hot and Cold, the difference between them becomes even less distinct.

Finally, Eiko is a far more believable 10 year old, well into that massive brat stage. You could probably age everyone 3-5 years and have 0 downsides.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Eiko's honestly better than Dagger; while Dagger gets elemental summons as well as non-elemental options, Eiko gets Holy, which is only resisted by a few enemies, none of which matter or can be circumvented (Friendly Monsters for the most part). Add that to her better White Magic variety and Eiko comes out on top all around.

Dagger actually does have White Magic that Eiko can't learn - Scan, Berserk and Confuse. None of which will see any real use, but hey.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eiko's honestly better than Dagger; while Dagger gets elemental summons as well as non-elemental options, Eiko gets Holy, which is only resisted by a few enemies, none of which matter or can be circumvented (Friendly Monsters for the most part). Add that to her better White Magic variety and Eiko comes out on top all around.

Dagger actually does have White Magic that Eiko can't learn - Scan, Berserk and Confuse. None of which will see any real use, but hey.

Once again demonstrating Square's utter inability to properly balance their characters, Eiko continues the trend that Quina started, though in her case she's more overpowered than most of the others whereas Quina is largely useless with some situational use (sure, Limit Glove is awesome but compared to just blasting away with physicals from Zidane and Steiner or spells from Vivi, setting it up is far more of a pain that it's worth unless you're in a special challenge run like OFS is doing). Eiko's abilities basically just end up passing Dagger's in every area. I think the only real advantage Dagger has is in pure stats, and I'd have to double-check that.

EDIT: Double-checked that, and nope, not really.

The Max Stats FAQ over at GFAQs posted:

Level 99 base stats:
Garnet
Speed: 30
Strength: 52
Magic: 61
Spirit: 34
Magic Stones: 68

Eiko
Speed: 28
Strength: 52
Magic: 60
Spirit: 36
Magic Stones: 67

Garnet has a bit of an advantage in most stats (and I believe a decent HP advantage due to not being as fragile as a 6-year old girl), but Eiko's higher Spirit stat (AKA the God Stat) makes up for any other shortcomings. Either way the differences are basically nil at that point anyway.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 7, 2016

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I like Dagger more as a character, so that's who I use

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

morallyobjected posted:

I like Dagger more as a character, so that's who I use

This is the correct answer. Final Fantasy games are pretty easy so just use who you want. I used Cyan in FFVI because gently caress Ultima spam.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dagger's minor advantage is that she gets a +Spr weapon in the Stardust Rod, which makes it slightly easier to raise if you're min-maxing that way.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Dagger would come out ahead if anything in this game survived longer than a few rounds simply due to her Trance. As it is, Eiko is better in pretty much every area.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Finally, Eiko is a far more believable 10 year old, well into that massive brat stage. You could probably age everyone 3-5 years and have 0 downsides.

This is actually what I usually go with, mentally, for this game.

Also it's not uncommon for me to run both Eiko and Dagger. It's overkill on the white magic but I love summons, even if they're not really the most optimal way to kick rear end in this game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Eiko can give a passive ~1/3 chance to avoid party wipes as well.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
If Dagger has one advantage over Eiko, it's that her summons tend to be longer. While this SOUNDS like a downside (and really kinda is, given that battles in this game take long enough as it is), this works extraordinarily well with Auto-Regen. Field-clearing spell AND a near full heal with one turn? I'll take it.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Mega64 posted:

And as you probably guessed from the Tindeck link, her name is Eiko. Yes, Eiko carries the proud FF tradition of "little girl who fights in your party" started in FF4 by Porom and briefly by Rydia before she ages ten years in the span of a week, and carried on by Relm in FF6. OK, so it's really only those two games and this one that do that, but yeah, this little girl is our seventh party member. Yep, we finally get our seventh party member in the latter half of Disc 2!

You forgot Krile!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Woo, had to restart recording three times because after the new Windows update minimizing ePSXe with Fraps recording (yes I still use Fraps because I'm lazy) would crash both. Once I finally stopped doing that, I get a good chunk of progress going only for a power outage to gently caress up that recording a good chunk in. :suicide: At least I make tons of save back-ups so actually getting that footage back is trivial, but still sucks to lose an hour or so of recording and having to do the beginning scenes of Madain Sari a fourth loving time.

So yeah, it'll probably be a couple of days until the next update.

e: Attempts to repair the video seem slow but promising, so maybe I can salvage this session yet.

e2: Took 3-4 time as long to fix as it would've taken to just replay the section but it's fixed! Still doubt I'll update today though, likely tomorrow.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 7, 2016

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, I missed the Black Mages. They are the bestest. :3:

Also Hilgigars rules.

And if I remember correctly, there's some sign in Conde Petie that records how many marriages they've had, and it is actually 99 until this bit, where it either gets to 100 or 101. I really like the little details like that in the game.

Also, gently caress, I think the opening bits of Madain Sari might be some of the worst to have to do repeatedly. Commiserations.

Oh, and Eiko ends up being quite an entertaining character I find. Which is good since she's the sort that could end up really annoying.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

dragon_pamcake posted:

You forgot Krile!

I looked this up because of the FFV Four Job Fiesta, but Krile is 14. She's older than Gau is at the start of FF6, and only a few years younger than Garnet.

FFV is a weird game.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 7, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This update was fun to record. Had to restart three times and after I finally got a groove going a power outage corrupted my video and I had to spend several hours recovering it. Fun times.

Anyway, this is Yeti.

I love this guy.

He's also kind of a greedy rear end and wants two Ores. I have too drat many of the things so why not.

The Friendly Creatures start out spread out, but then you have three pretty close to each other. We'll meet Nymph in a couple of updates.

20AP and an Elixir. Pretty sweet deal!

Blazer Beetles are drat boring and not worth talking about.

So I just throw Stop on it and instantly kill it.

There's a pretty large chunk of plot here, so much so I had to split this into two updates. But most of the Outer Continent is pretty chill plot stuff and we do have a bit of mystery about our new party member who just so happens to summon eidolons.

This is my home: Madain Sari!

So Eiko lives in a ruined village. The music pretty well matches the atmosphere here as well.

Mocha! Moco! Chimomo!

Momatose! Morrison!

She's not alone, however. She does have moogle friends, apparently.

No... Mog got eaten!?

Mog flies in from right behind that right monument.

No, I'm not mad. But don't ever leave me behind again, okay?

Kupo! Yes, ma'am.

Kupo!
Okay, come on!
Kupo!

Yup! Mog always stays with me.

Yep, this is a thing that happens a lot around this area. Mog can apparently shrink at will because, well, why not?

Tell me more about yourself! Tell me!
Sure. I wanna know more about you, too, Eiko.
Really!?

No, what I wanna know is...

-----

What's wrong? You look dazed.
Oh, it's nothing.
Do you have a fever?

You're fine. Hey, are you jealous?
Why would I be jealous?

Well...

So? What are you guys?

A team...?
Yeah.

Is it sort of like me and the moogles?
Something like that.

Thanks, Mocha! I'll be right there!

There's still stuff I want to ask her. Let's accept her invitation.
Okay...

Now we can explore and get a handle where our party's thoughts are at right now. First, let's check in with Vivi.

FADE TO WIND SOUNDS

But it's only because I thought stopping was different from dying... I don't think I really understand what it means to live and to die.

If that's what it means to live... I wonder where I came from...? Where will I end up when I die...?

What is it that I'm feeling...?

Vivi's still dealing with the things he learned in Black Mage Village. Any adult in his position would be struggling for answers, let alone someone with a kid's mentality. There's really no easy answers here, of course. But we'll get back to this in due time.

There's a Stellazzio here as well.

Probably not?

What's up? Is something wrong?
Oh, it's nothing. I was just thinking...
...Well, try not to think too much. Get some rest.
Okay. Thanks, Zidane.

Not much we can do with Vivi right now. Let's check in with Dagger instead.

I read about them in a book once... A tribe that possesses the power to call forth eidolons...

Knowing that I had eidolons inside me didn't bring me any joy. Mother imprisoned me...used the eidolons she stole from me as tools of war. I thought I would kill my eidolons if Kuja was going to use them for war...

Why am I thinking all this now...?

Dagger's also dealing with some heavy stuff right now. She's trying to reclaim her eidolons, and we know why Brahne and Kuja wanted them, but we've never really wondered why she has them. Now that she's come here, her powers weigh on her mind more than ever. This was a village of summoners, after all, and we haven't seen anyone else use summons besides Dagger, Eiko, and Brahne (who uses the eidolons extracted from Dagger, of course). Could there be some answers for Dagger here, perhaps how to better harnass her power, or even why she has that power in the first place?

It must've been like this for at least ten years.

Zidane meanwhile whines about dinner.

Eiko's ATE at least is a lot more lighthearted, though with some light bullshit as well.

But here's where the real challenge begins!

Dagger has been slow to catch on to Zidane's moves.

I don't think it's that so much as she's not really won over by them.

As you've probably noticed by now, Eiko has a crush on Zidane. Of course only a six-year-old would be impressed by Zidane's over-the-top facade. It's kinda cute in a way.

But Eiko screws up a lot when she cooks. We don't have much food in stock right now...

Kupopo...
Kupo... I'm sleepy!

I'm gonna cook my specialty: rock-fisted potato stew!

But the last one you made tasted so bad, I thought my pompom would fall off...
Just stew?
Yeah, I think I need another dish. What do you guys think?
Kupo. How about some fish? Fresh fish tastes great barbecued.

That sounds good!

Let's see...

Eiko has several ATE's where you can make choices to affect how successful the dinner is. The reward for picking optimally is more plot, no items or anything like that. Still gonna be optimal, of course.

There's a specific moogle to send for each chore, but honestly I don't know how you'd know which one to send. But Momatose is the one that goes fishing.

Go, Momatose!
Kupo!

Mocha digs up potatoes...

...and Chimomo does kitchen duty.

I don't know, maybe they give dialogue hints if you choose wrong? Beats me.

I don't wanna be alone anymore.

Of course, there's more to this than infatuation. We haven't seen only moogles here for no reason.

Vivi and Dagger aren't very talkative, so let's explore the last area of this place.

Restricted? What's that, then?

Zidane, this place only rocks and sand. I eat star sand once, but sand here not food.

Hey, don't take it so hard. S/he's a special case.

Anyway, we're not getting in quite yet.

I'll take you to the Eidolon Wall in the meantime. Please follow me.

So that place we couldn't get into, we'll get into next update. For now, let's close things off with another Eiko ATE.

There's me and Zidane. There's that quiet boy, Vivi... I guess I should cook for Dagger, too. And all you guys: Mog, Moco, Mocha, Chimomo, Momatose, and Morrison!

Kupo!

Four party members plus six moogles equals ten. However, Eiko doesn't realize that Quina's now lurking around here, so the correct answer is actually 11.

What are we, dwarves? No oglops. Cid would be offended.

Get the water goin'
A good shake o' salt

Potato, potato
Pumpkin bomb
Another shake o' salt!

Lots and lots of nuts

It's heavy... Kupo!

You want to help Momatose here or else he'll lose the fish.

Keep stirring, Chimomo. Don't let it burn!

We'll pull it together on 3, okay?

For once it is the Qu who is caught!

Next time, we eat Quina for dinner.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So wait, if Quina is a being that grows more powerful by eating others, what would eating Quina cause? Would the party suddenly gain Blue Mage abilities? Or just some major sickness from the amount of weird stuff that's no doubt in his/her body?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I believe the implication is that Qu are able to consume monsters for abilities due to their bodies adapting to the Mist. They are the only people aside from Burmecians that live in it, after all. I doubt eating Quina would give any benefits.

Also

I hope you had the Ability Up ability equipped on her before you did that battle!

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I hope you had the Ability Up ability equipped on her before you did that battle!

He did, the crystal is filled in. I think it would be just an outline of a crystal if it wasn't equipped.

Quina just hopping into the water in Madain Sari gets me every time. Are Qu amphibious? They dwell in swamps, but it would make an enormous amount of sense if they could breathe in water.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I always figured the Qu were distant frog relatives, what with the swamp dwelling, long tongues, and... indiscriminate eating habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
One neat thing about the aesthetics of Madain Sari is that the arrangement of rubble on the right makes the mountain have a :haw: face.

• Locked thread