Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
You'd think that any fan game would have original sprites prepared to fall back on. You can't copyright level layouts (I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Metroid Database site admin posted the entire letter from Nintendo's lawyer on their forums, including his address.

Y'know, in case anyone wants to mail dog poo poo to him.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Bloody Pom posted:

Metroid Database site admin posted the entire letter from Nintendo's lawyer on their forums, including his address.

Y'know, in case anyone wants to mail dog poo poo to him.

A totally appropriate, adult response to the thing that everyone knew would happen.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I can't believe Metroid is fuckin' dead

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I've always had the idea that if somehow I made some creative work popular enough to have other people making fan-stuff of I'd be (privately) against it because internet people get crazy rear end ideas about fictional works. I know that's not nintendo's motive here (it's money) but I can't get as riled up over stuff like that as some people for whatever reason. stuff like shutting down non-fiction books about the works is more upsetting to me, I heard nintendo did something like that a while back

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Improbable Lobster posted:

A totally appropriate, adult response to the thing that everyone knew would happen.

Seriously, posting an address is a little much. You can still get the game through other torrent hosts, right? What are the chances a Metroid 2 remake is the very thing Nintendo is working on?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

Seriously, posting an address is a little much. You can still get the game through other torrent hosts, right? What are the chances a Metroid 2 remake is the very thing Nintendo is working on?

Slim to none, considering the way they're trying to prop up Federation Force.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

BisterdDave posted:

Zero. They probably have plans to re-release the gameboy version on VM or something.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

stuff like shutting down non-fiction books about the works is more upsetting to me, I heard nintendo did something like that a while back

They sent a legal notice to a Kickstarter which suspended the campaign, but there was a clear list of specific things Nintendo had a problem with. Said things were addressed, KS campaign resumed and finished I think something like 2 weeks later?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Looks like you can still go to the creator's website and download the video game. But rip Metroid Database

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Where's the letter?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Germstore posted:

You'd think that any fan game would have original sprites prepared to fall back on. You can't copyright level layouts (I think).

Sure you can. Release a game that uses Super Mario Bros 1-1 and see how long it takes for a lawyer to show up at your door.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

BisterdDave posted:

Yeah, at least this one got out the door. Most fan projects put up an announcement or a trailer and disappear within a couple days.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm glad Nintendo is protecting the integrity of their really bad Rocket League/Left 4 Dead clone (yes I know that's not how IP protection works).

Really it's a wonder AM2R survived for, what seven years and two or three demos and actually came out.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Really it's a wonder AM2R survived for, what seven years and two or three demos and actually came out.

Yeah, like how many "OOT2d" projects started and fizzled in that time?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, like how many "OOT2d" projects started and fizzled in that time?

The big one that you've probably heard about got shut down because the dude was profiting off a terrible demo.

univbee posted:

They sent a legal notice to a Kickstarter which suspended the campaign, but there was a clear list of specific things Nintendo had a problem with. Said things were addressed, KS campaign resumed and finished I think something like 2 weeks later?

A few years ago the translator of Earthbound wanted to write a book about his time on that project. He asked Nintendo for their blessing and they said no.

There are protections for works of non-fiction but all it takes is a screenshot or some other intellectual property to show up for rights holder to make a case. Most people don't have the time or money to fight it which is why I wish video games had the equivalent of the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm glad Nintendo is protecting the integrity of their really bad Rocket League/Left 4 Dead clone (yes I know that's not how IP protection works).

Haha, Rocket League I get, but what about it is Left 4 Dead?

After playing the demo, the haters aren't wrong in being babies about it. It is sad when I shoot the ball and some guy 90degrees to the ball from me shoots it as well, and instead of it going forward and to the right as physics and geometry would dictate, the balls zooms directly at me, destroying my suit and they score.... replay confirmed my anger. I shut it off immediately after that match and was glad that I did not pre-order.

I'll stick to rocket propelled RC cars for my electronic soccer needs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
BlastBall isn't the only mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VEuxCvpka8

I mean, I guess you could compare it to other four player co-op mission shooters, but hey.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

kirbysuperstar posted:

After playing it for a few hours, it's kinda romhack amateur in the design department. I'm stuck because they hid one of the metroids in area 3 behind some stupid poo poo. It's the last one I need to move on. I bombed literally every wall and cannot find it.

- The metroids' carapaces (even the baby alphas) deflect missles and make them way more difficult than they should be.
- Save point locations are really inconsistent - they are everywhere starting out but there are some spots near difficult challenges that lack one. Also it takes way too long to save, the original was instantaneous.
- There is a dark room section in area 3 with no mechanic to light it up. Maybe it's just me, but I loving hate these.
- A boss in area 2 has an interesting mechanic but it's entirely RNG-based, thankfully the boss and item it drops are optional (I think).
- Whatever DirectX code they're using does not work with my card's hardware Vsync. I normally don't play action games with it on, but it looks especially bad without it, so I have to use theirs and suffer the input lag.
- A minor bitch but having to press start at the title screen and wait for the animation just to quit the game is dumb.
- They let you place a marker on the map. A marker, you can only have one at a time, lol.
- I don't recall if this was in other Metroid games, but it really irks me having to bomb destructible blocks to see what destructs them, instead of just shooting them.
- The charge shot has been almost completely useless so far.
- You can wall-jump but that is also useless due to how early you get the Space Jump and Spider Ball.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 8, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ofecks posted:

After playing it for a few hours, it's kinda romhack amateur in the design department. I'm stuck because they hid one of the metroids in area 3 behind some stupid poo poo. It's the last one I need to move on. I bombed literally every wall and cannot find it.

- The metroids' carapaces (even the baby alphas) deflect missles and make them way more difficult than they should be.
- Save point locations are really inconsistent - they are everywhere starting out but there are some spots near difficult challenges that lack one. Also it takes way too long to save, the original was instantaneous.
- There is a dark room section in area 3 with no mechanic to light it up. Maybe it's just me, but I loving hate these.
- A boss in area 2 has an interesting mechanic but it's entirely RNG-based, thankfully the boss and item it drops are optional (I think).
- Whatever DirectX code they're using does not work with my card's hardware Vsync. I normally don't play action games with it on, but it looks especially bad without it, so I have to use theirs and suffer the input lag.
- A minor bitch but having to press start at the title screen and wait for the animation just to quit the game is dumb.
- They let you place a marker on the map. A marker, you can only have one at a time, lol.
- I don't recall if this was in other Metroid games, but it really irks me having to bomb destructible blocks to see what destructs them, instead of just shooting them.
- You can wall-jump but that is also useless due to how early you get the Space Jump and Spider Ball.

I'm not good at Metroid, but I'm finding the jumping mechanics to be way more of a pain in the rear end than I remember, because of how fast the jump is (and short, before you get the jump upgrade) and the fact that the jump basically stops the moment your finger comes off the button at all. It's probably exactly how it is in official games, but it feels very finicky.

also, yes, having to get underneath the alphas to hurt them with missiles when they fly at you at gun level in areas often full of spikes or lava is absolute horseshit

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

BlastBall isn't the only mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VEuxCvpka8

I mean, I guess you could compare it to other four player co-op mission shooters, but hey.

Not bad, reminds me of Prime Hunters DS kinda. If the single player action is decent enough I may pick it up for that. However, if it is more Triforce Heroes style where you kinda need other players in some spots to not be terribly tricky, then I'll pass.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

If you guys think the babby metroids are tedious wait until you hit the omegas. Sure would be nice if you could save before you fight the first one, too.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
My local arcade just got a pristine Asteroids cabinet. I never realized how beautiful a working vector monitor is. The shots are so bright - it looks incredibly clool.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DrankSinatra posted:

My local arcade just got a pristine Asteroids cabinet. I never realized how beautiful a working vector monitor is. The shots are so bright - it looks incredibly clool.

Yeah I saw a vector arcade game for the first time a few weeks ago and I could not believe how gorgeous it looked.

I also saw one of these and did a double take

How did I not know this existed until seeing it in person? I sent a pic to a friend and he replied "what the hell is that? That's like if you showed me a Chrono Trigger arcade machine. How is that an arcade game?"

It was kinda fun I guess. I wonder if it's running the same hardware as the Mario Kart and F Zero machines.

Ineffiable posted:

You all need to buy 8bitdo controllers. Only issues I have with them is that every time you power off your source, you have to resync your controller. They're an impressive build quality.

Yeah I am incredibly anal about that stuff and the 8bitdo SNES controller is perfection. I can't believe bluetooth dongles came out for the actual SNES. I have one on the way to my home. I might do some sort of mod to my SNES so the receiver constantly gets power.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just curious, is that mod just to keep the receiver to pair up with the controller or something? I know the only concern people have is you have to sync up the controller with the receiver every time the snes is switched off.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Vector monitors are cool as hell. You feel like you're looking at something that is somehow horrifyingly beautiful. Like as if just looking at it is causing you physical harm but you can't help but stare.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

What the hell is that?!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yeah I saw a vector arcade game for the first time a few weeks ago and I could not believe how gorgeous it looked.

I also saw one of these and did a double take

How did I not know this existed until seeing it in person? I sent a pic to a friend and he replied "what the hell is that? That's like if you showed me a Chrono Trigger arcade machine. How is that an arcade game?"

It was kinda fun I guess. I wonder if it's running the same hardware as the Mario Kart and F Zero machines.

Apparently it just came out last year.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's a lot of those weird motion cabinet shooter dollareater games that come out for Dave n Busters or Chucky Cheese joints. I've seen Jurassic Park, Batman, and Silent Hill themes ones.

But a Luigi's Haunted Mansion? That's as weird as the Sugar Rush Mario Kart cabinet o saw at a Chucky Cheese.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RZA Encryption posted:

What the hell is that?!

Capcom made a Luigi's Mansion arcade game; it came out in Japan last year, got a limited release in the US via Dave & Busters and is now available for whoever wants to lease it, I think.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/arcade/luigimansion-ac/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Anc_FYS0AE

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Capcom made a Luigi's Mansion arcade game; it came out in Japan last year, got a limited release in the US via Dave & Busters and is now available for whoever wants to lease it, I think.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/arcade/luigimansion-ac/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Anc_FYS0AE

Oh it's a rail shooter. I was wondering how Luigi's Mansion would translate to an arcade experience.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, it's the sort of thing you'd expect Nintendo to port to Wii U if not for the fact that it's too sensible an idea.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So Heidi Kemps is doing a massive series on an old Taito game called Raimais. It's halfway done right now and fascinating to read. It's something you might want to look at and/or emulate yourself!

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Quick question. Which is better, Super Mario Land 2 or 3?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Wizgot posted:

Quick question. Which is better, Super Mario Land 2 or 3?

But yeah OK 2 is the better of the pair you mentioned. 3 is pretty dry for a Wario game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3 > 2

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't know as of right now I can't say anything bad about the Metroid 2 remake other than wishing the spider ball was 2x the speed (which is bringing back painful gameboy memories). I absolutely love the artwork and music. The controls feel good to me, the only time I got annoyed was the one room where you get knocked into lava and I was having a really hard time getting back to a platform consistently.

I played it for two hours last night because I couldn't put it down. Nintendo should really buy it from the creator and sell it officially.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DrankSinatra posted:

Vector monitors are sweet but they're so sadly fragile.

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh it's a rail shooter. I was wondering how Luigi's Mansion would translate to an arcade experience.

Rail shooter seems to be the default option these days for bringing a console series to an arcade game. There was a Castlevania rail shooter a few years ago as well.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Ineffiable posted:

Just curious, is that mod just to keep the receiver to pair up with the controller or something? I know the only concern people have is you have to sync up the controller with the receiver every time the snes is switched off.
I don't have this problem with either my SNES or NES Retro Receiver, which I have paired to an SNES30 controller. Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem...

I turn on the SNES, then I turn on the controller by holding Start and it connects automatically within a few seconds. Then I can power cycle the SNES over and over again while I switch carts and the SNES30 controller always reconnects to the RR within seconds of the SNES powering back on.

The only real issue I've had (which isn't really an issue, just a limitation of bluetooth) is moving my one SNES30 controller between the SNES RR and the NES RR. I decided to solve this problem by buying a second controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ofecks posted:

Idk, I disagree with a lot of this. From what I recall from the original M2, the map design recreates it pretty faithfully. I swear saves were faster in the demo, they are definitely slow here. Sometimes they are really fast like how I remember so maybe its just a bug? I didn't even know you could put markers on and personally a Metroid game with map markers feels weird (Zero Mission's "you need to vaguely go this direction" is different). Bombing blocks to see what destroys them has always been in Metroid, sometimes the wave beam reveals as well. Charge shot was useless in every game but Fusion I think. I feel like Metroids would be way too easy if they were weak all over, but maybe the weak point could be loosened just a hair.

Ok I'm done looking dumb and defending a fangame on the internet.

• Locked thread