Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

RareAcumen posted:

I like how even the game is like 'OH NO YOU DON'T!' When it comes to giving Neji, Hinata, Shino, or Kiba screentime.

Remember in the last game when Shino basically said "we're not main characters, we should just gently caress off"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ChorpSaway posted:

Kisame pretended to be dead and a sword from the end of episode 207 to the beginning of episode 250. It's something like 35 chapters in the manga.

I was hoping for some crazy number like 100 episodes but that'll do. :allears:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On the bringing Zabuza back it's basically that Kabuto and Tobi are on one side and literally the entire Ninja World is on the other. Their solution is to mass raise every vaguely impressive Ninja from the last 100 years. In the manga as I recall Zabuza is actually told to hang back by the other Swordsmen because he's the best at the Mist Field Jutsu, and ultimately he's mostly good at ensuring kills that the others set up over personally fighting. The Mist Field also makes them all way deadlier because it vastly tips combat in their favour because they train constantly in it.

Also yeah Sasuke still leads his little ninja team and so Suigetsu at this point has been made to give the Decapitating Carving Knife back, funnily enough this is also where we learn that it literally drinks blood to rebuild itself as it's returned basically snapped in half and Zabuza's response is to stab someone from memory.

The Seven Swordsmen in general amuse me because they aren't individually that dangerous, but as a team they're probably capable of killing Pein if they know what they're up against. Also every past member met in the anime travels with a younger male of a nearly dead clan with a powerful bloodline.

The swords are pretty silly too, I think I've mentioned it before but they're all pretty weird. The three most normal are Zabuza's, which drinks blood, then the Sewing Needle that has a giant spool of wire attached, you stab it throw people and tie them up in little bundles, and the twin-swords that are imbued with Lightning and can supposedly cut through anything. Then you have the other stuff, the Bluntsword, the Splash Sword that explodes when you hit people with it. Lastly you have the really weird ones, neither of which are in this fight, Kisame's blade which eats chakra and can change size, and the only sword still under the control of the Hidden Village of the Mist, which has 2 handles and can be morphed into any shape the wielder wants through Chakra.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

my sword is cooler, it gets more powerful the more it tastes my piss. i call it Good Boy

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: PODCAST PARTY! :siren:

Youtube
MP3 Download

FutureFriend has decided that he has better things to do than watch anime (yeah loving right), so it's up to Jordan and I to retake the reigns Choco☆Disaster and it's about us watching and discussing anime!
Today we look at the shows coming out for the upcoming summer season and talk about how we're keeping cool in the midst of terrible heat! There's not as much immediately stand-out but we've still got hope for a couple really good hits.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Waiting for the next episode of this LP is the Naruto filler arcs of this LP (amine only).

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: PATRIOTIC UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Nothing's more partriotic than the landing at Normandy, so let's celebrate with Darui-Day! The First Division is on the beach to take down a couple of despicable criminals, and Darui has a plan up his non-existent sleeves for taking care of the deadly duo. Can the First Division take back the beach in time for an Independence Day barbecue?

Characters Introduced This Episode

Darui
Student under the Third Raikage and right-hand-man of the Fourth. Darui is a laid-back individual, but incredibly loyal to the Fourth Raikage, for who he acts as a bodyguard. He has a bloodline technique that allows him to manipulate lightning as if it were water, and also inherited the Third's black lightning technique which often manifests itself as a giant panther. Darui also knows his way around a buster sword.

Kinkaku and Ginkaku
Also known as the Gold and Silver Brothers. At one point they were devoured by the Nine Tails, but forced the Nine Tails to regurgitate them out by eating him from the inside out. This eventually led them to gain huge chakra reserves, similar to Naruto. They use this newfound power to steal world treasures and assassinate several world leaders and were regarded as powerful but despicable criminals. Now they've been revived, and they're right back to causing havoc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ChorpSaway posted:

Kinkaku and Ginkaku
Also known as the Gold and Silver Brothers. At one point they were devoured by the Nine Tails, but forced the Nine Tails to regurgitate them out by eating him from the inside out. This eventually led them to gain huge chakra reserves, similar to Naruto. They use this newfound power to steal world treasures and assassinate several world leaders and were regarded as powerful but despicable criminals. Now they've been revived, and they're right back to causing havoc.

Wait, I thought the Nine Tails was basically a being made of pure chakra that just happened to look like a fox? So how does one eat it from the inside out? It's not like they could start gnawing on its organs... or is my understanding of the Fox demon flawed and he really is just a giant fox?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

TwoPair posted:

Wait, I thought the Nine Tails was basically a being made of pure chakra that just happened to look like a fox? So how does one eat it from the inside out? It's not like they could start gnawing on its organs... or is my understanding of the Fox demon flawed and he really is just a giant fox?

In as much as any one can understand a giant magic fox made out of magic, yes.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So does the anime shed some more light on these villains that Kabuto has resurrected? Because aside from the few that were in the past games/remnants from the first series. Every time another one shows the characters are like "OH poo poo IT"S THOSE GUYS?! BUT THEIR DEAD!" and then you just fight them like normal.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It goes into more detail, yes. Ginkaku and Kinkaku get some background info from the Cloud Ninjas, and you actually get to see why the Seven Swordsman of the Mist were feared before the people with names fight them.

TwoPair posted:

You know how there are medic ninjas and you can create fireballs and lightning and poo poo with chakra? The beasts are like that, but they formed flesh and bone from chakra. There was a clan able to manipulate their own bones, which Kimimaro (one of Orochimaru's ninja, died during the "Sasuke is loving off to Join Orochimaru" arc) was a member of, so there is precedent for this kind of thing.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
For being introduced so late in the series Darui is pretty neat. Also gotta appreciate the ninja art of firing homing lasers and black panthers.
Why is homing lasers classified under wind ninjutsu?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So does the anime shed some more light on these villains that Kabuto has resurrected? Because aside from the few that were in the past games/remnants from the first series. Every time another one shows the characters are like "OH poo poo IT"S THOSE GUYS?! BUT THEIR DEAD!" and then you just fight them like normal.
The manga version is usually a lot more involved, yeah.
Like, for these two, they take the time to show them beating a couple weak named characters instead of going "OH NO IT'S THESE TOUGH GUYS WHAT WILL WE DO?!". It mostly showcased their weaponry and a really dumb wordplay gimmick where you get sucked into a pot if you say the word you've repeated the most during your life.
One of them even turns into a miniature ninetails like Naruto does too.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Homing Lasers is actually a combination of two elemental natures, like Haku's ice made from water and wind, it's storm and it's made from lightning and water.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, just when it seems like the Ninja Alliance has the upper hand, a final assault is made on the beach! Can the last team of fresh soldiers take down the rest of the reanimated ninja, as well as a giant rock monster!? Find out today on the chapter finale of Mortal Combat on the Coast!

Shikamaru Nara
A member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Asuma. Since the death of his teacher Asuma, Shikamaru has picked up a pretty nasty smoking habit, which I'm sure he'd consider a real drag. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be affecting his physical ability. Plus, it's not like he's gonna be moving around too much what with his shadow manipulation powers.

Choji Akimichi
A member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Asuma. A big and strong boy, Choji is about to grow into an even more powerful ally with his body expansion techniques. Please be kind to him.

Ino Yamanaka
A member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Asuma. Ino's still here, and her mind jacking techniques are just as powerful as ever! Too bad she'll be forever relegated to sideline duty.

:siren: ALSO SOME CHOCO DISASTER! :siren:

Youtube
MP3 Download

Today, JordanKai and I discuss the spring season and talk about what we finished, what we liked, and what we just couldn't stand. Lots of not-quite-breaking-anymore news, but some interesting stuff pops up, like the fact that Bleach is ending within 10 weeks of now. The Big Three will soon just be the Big One (Piece)!

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
As I mentioned last thread, the things that Asuma uses as weapons are real life things called Trench Knives! While he uses them kinda odd, they were mainly used in WWI in trench warfare (thus the name) and were designed to pierce through a helmet and skull when thrust down when leaping into a trench. And then if that didn't work, bam! Brass Knuckles! The knuckles also made it harder to drop as you were litteraly stuck in them and if you needed that hand to do something else and needed to get your fingers out you were already pretty hosed.
Man, early 1900's weapons were kinda weird...

Pic below for proof!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ah, the 'strange info about commentators no one wanted to hear' episode.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

On the discussion about how a bunch of characters would be far more interesting as main characters than Naruto I argue Naruto himself would be more interesting if Sasuke and the Uchiha hadn't swallowed the plot with their black hole eyeball powers, much like they can apparently swallow themselves.

Most of the really awful stuff in the manga/anime can be tied back into the increasing importance/power of the Uchiha and Sasuke. I don't know if I've said it before in this thread but I'd have liked the show more if it never made it about saving the world, and instead just shifted focus between different teams from Konoha and sometimes the other villages and we just got to watch Ninja being Ninja in this world. No villain should have ever been more powerful/important than Orochimaru and maybe Pein, if you need a real final villain style thing.

As it is the Fourth Ninja World War is ridiculous and just gets worse from memory.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I remember the fight with Asuma, but that whole Gedo Statue giant godzilla fight came out of nowhere. That was even sillier than expected.

Lord_Magmar posted:

On the discussion about how a bunch of characters would be far more interesting as main characters than Naruto I argue Naruto himself would be more interesting if Sasuke and the Uchiha hadn't swallowed the plot with their black hole eyeball powers, much like they can apparently swallow themselves.

Most of the really awful stuff in the manga/anime can be tied back into the increasing importance/power of the Uchiha and Sasuke. I don't know if I've said it before in this thread but I'd have liked the show more if it never made it about saving the world, and instead just shifted focus between different teams from Konoha and sometimes the other villages and we just got to watch Ninja being Ninja in this world. No villain should have ever been more powerful/important than Orochimaru and maybe Pein, if you need a real final villain style thing.

As it is the Fourth Ninja World War is ridiculous and just gets worse from memory.
The series could have so easily ended with Pain, Naruto's character arc is like blatantly finished by then and neatly tied up, it kinda hurts. At least them stretching for material did lead to some ridiculous scenes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Choji's whole clan takes an oath every generation to protect Shikamaru and Ino's clans and all their kids get stuck on a team together? But like, what if a generation of kids comes along that hates each other's guts? Just stick 'em on a team then and make them swear their life oath. hosed up.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

So Choji's whole clan takes an oath every generation to protect Shikamaru and Ino's clans and all their kids get stuck on a team together? But like, what if a generation of kids comes along that hates each other's guts? Just stick 'em on a team then and make them swear their life oath. hosed up.

I mean everyone hated each other in Team 7 and look how that turned out!

...Oh... right...

HGH posted:

The series could have so easily ended with Pain, Naruto's character arc is like blatantly finished by then and neatly tied up, it kinda hurts. At least them stretching for material did lead to some ridiculous scenes.

I think I said this last time but without the "Itachi was actually good" asspull everything wraps up at Pain and everyone with a big character arc has it resolved. It really could have been over and had everyone be friends. There's some fantastic nonsense in the later parts but goddamn does the plot just start to lose any real meaning.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Naruto's continuing training while all of his friends put their life on the line! It seems he can't concentrate though, and he wants to figure out what weird chakra poo poo's happening outside the waterfall. Will he make it out, and what will he do if he discovers the truth of his isolation training? What's Killer Bee's favorite mixtape? All this and more on today's episode!

Iruka Umino
A ninja from the Hidden Leaf Village and mentor to Naruto before he graduated school. I don't really remember why they decided to add him back in, but there he is! Please protect this man.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's about drat time Naruto accepted the demon inside of him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am pleased to see the return of RAP SYMBOLS to this LP.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, Naruto and Killer Bee are off to join the war, but it looks like there are a couple people unhappy with this particular self-sacrifice. The two leaders of the Ninja Alliance who aren't on the battlefield have decided to stop the two of them before they cross into the warzone, but will they be enough to stop the newly powered-up Naruto? Find out today for the finale of Chapter 8: Two Suns!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Ya know, if Naruto (the whole series, but also the character) was better, these scenes would probably be really great unironically as opposed to ironically for the wrong reasons.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
The main character wears a headband and heals by eating instant noodles, gameplay is constantly interrupted by melodramatic and wordy cutscenes, and now we've got two old dudes duking it out yelling BROTHER! in a chapter called Two Suns. It even looks kind of like the MGS4 brush font. My god TwoPair, you were right.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Gologle posted:

Ya know, if Naruto (the whole series, but also the character) was better, these scenes would probably be really great unironically as opposed to ironically for the wrong reasons.
It's true. This would have been very cool if I gave the tiniest poo poo about any of these characters.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
Y'all were talking about how cool it is that Bee and Ay use wrestling moves and it's reminding me that the both of them did a lariat to kisame and decapitated him in the manga and how much it owned.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Has there been a video on Naruto's Nine Tail Form or whatever the hell it's offically called? Just watching the footage it looks like he's kind overpowered.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Has there been a video on Naruto's Nine Tail Form or whatever the hell it's offically called? Just watching the footage it looks like he's kind overpowered.

Yeah every time he hits someone in a video it's like 3 times louder than anyone else's hits.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

TwoPair posted:

Yeah every time he hits someone in a video it's like 3 times louder than anyone else's hits.

I think it was called the Nine Tails chakra cloak? In-game, the cloak is his awakening mode. Every character has an awakening mode that improves their power, some characters get additional moves or even a whole new fighting style. Normally there's be a time limit on awakening mode but since Naruto is learning how to best make use of the Nine Tails's power, he gets infinite time in story mode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Are we sure that's natural and not at all because of that Attack boosting bento he ate before he fought Ay?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

the problem ive noticed with this game is that non-main character arcs just kinda tend to get started and then get resolved in the same 20-30 minutes, is this like a huge thing in the anime and or manga too or is it mostly due to how the game has to pick up a 300 chapter piece and turn it into 15 hours of cutscenes?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I hadn't listened to the last couple of Choco Disasters, but my Japanese teacher gave me a direct order to watch more anime the other day, so I had to go back and catch up on the ones I missed to get some recommendations. Apparently this is my life now.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, Naruto and Bee continue their journey to the front line, but it seems like the enemy already has some soldiers on their way to intercept them. Meanwhile, it seems that the main army front has just seen Madara's heavy hitters appear, so it's time for another desperate struggle! Things will start coming to a head here in Chapter 9: Battle of the Kage!

Itachi Uchiha
Former member of the Akatsuki and the brother of Sasuke Uchiha. After Itachi's incredibly roundabout plan to get everyone to love Sasuke backfired, he's been brought back to life to see the results of his efforts. Don't be too cruel to him though, he can be a bit i-touchy about the subject.

Pain
Former leader and co-founder of the Akatsuki. He's been brought back after reviving all the dead ninja in the Hidden Leaf Village, only to be forced into combat with them once again. I guess life really is... suffering.

I'll do the Kage next time once we beat them all up.

FractalSandwich posted:

I hadn't listened to the last couple of Choco Disasters, but my Japanese teacher gave me a direct order to watch more anime the other day, so I had to go back and catch up on the ones I missed to get some recommendations. Apparently this is my life now.

This is my new favorite thing. Hope you find something you enjoy!

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

It's kinda distracting how Gaara's dad and Itachi have the same VA. Also I just noticed that Kisame's sword has a skull on the hilt. Nice.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I think Pain's hair turned white when he resurrected all of the people he killed in the leaf village because the stress of it aged him prematurely. And then he died from being an old man.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It's crazy how much Itachi keikaku'd, it's almost like the writer is making poo poo up as he goes.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Naruto seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't notice a bird flying into his mouth while he was devouring ramen, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Itachi is perhaps the most obvious place where the writer wants a character to be the coolest and greatest but has already written him as a monster. So he keeps adding newer and newer ways to make Itachi the most awesome dude ever and not a man who mentally traumatised his younger brother so hard that it permanently damaged his psyche and memories of the event.

Then when said brother looked like he was getting over the trauma he did it again, entirely so that Sasuke would have the conviction to kill Itachi and thus make the Uchiha great again.

See Itachi works as a guy who wanted to test himself so badly that he slaughtered his entire clan in one night to do so, that's a good idea for a very personal villain for one of the main characters of a manga/anime. It also lets you study the pursuit of strength in a world where people have mystical powers.

• Locked thread