Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Mike-o posted:

I've been playing skyrim again, gonna finally beat it and then go back and finally beat oblivion and play morrowind, maybe the older elder scrolls too. You know how some of you dorks are all into warhammer 40k and poo poo? I loving love all the crazy elder scrolls lore and the nutso poo poo Michael Kirkbride wrote for morrowind. I read all the loving books and junk and know way too much about all that poo poo. It's me, I'm the uber dork :negative:

The Elder Scrolls mythology is nuts, and I'm annoyed that we see less and less of it with each passing game. It's a shame Bethesda doesn't keep legit crazy writers on their staff these days.

If you're playing Oblivion on PC, do yourself a favor and download a graphics mod to make it look pretty again, and maybe a leveling mod so that enemies aren't always pushovers 2 levels below you.

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul does both. In addition to better graphics, it sets most NPCs to static levels, so there are dungeons you straight up can't survive until you're decently high level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I just picked up Morrowwind, I still have Oblivion and Skyrim as well,.

I still haven't started Stellaris either. Sigh

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Morrowind owns. If it's your first time I recommend putting Spear as your main weapon - not only does it increase your endurance which is incredibly important early game, it also has much longer reach than most other weapons allowing you to run backwards hitting without being hit in return.

And start levelling your Luck from the first levelup you get.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

You guys still playing FF XIV? Free login thing this month. Might give it another go. Couldn't really get into it last time

nah. i cant run in circles and shoot as a bard anymore so gently caress that

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Vasudus posted:

yea

got to skelly-whatever island in witcher. It's nearly the same size as the mainland. gently caress.

pretty sure like 50% of my game time is exploring that entire area loving boats

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Two Finger posted:

Morrowind owns. If it's your first time I recommend putting Spear as your main weapon - not only does it increase your endurance which is incredibly important early game, it also has much longer reach than most other weapons allowing you to run backwards hitting without being hit in return.

And start levelling your Luck from the first levelup you get.

Head to Balmora, join the mages guild. Teleport to Caldera or wherever, swipe the ring of invisibility from that one shopkeep.

Five finger discount everything you ever see from here on out.

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
There's about 100 different things you can do to break morrowind in the opening 30 mins. From having a daedric weapon as the first weapon you equip in the game, to the boots of blinding speed, to spells that let you 1 shot or run from any enemy in the game at level 1, or just abusing alchemy and becoming a god.

For a slightly more legit run just make sure to sell everything to the creeper(daedra merchant in Caldera) or the mudcrab merchant. You get ripped off by all humanoid merchants in the early game unless you've specced your character for mercantile.

subterfudge fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 7, 2016

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

I finally built a gaming pc and am catching up on the last 5 years of backlog pc gaming. Any and all recommendations welcomed.

Vasudus posted:

yea

got to skelly-whatever island in witcher. It's nearly the same size as the mainland. gently caress.

Go to merchants in Skellige and buy the lonely planet guide to Skellige. It gives you a bunch of fast travel points, which saves you having to boat everywhere.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
http://i.imgur.com/4PuZYYR.gifv

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Arrath posted:

Head to Balmora, join the mages guild. Teleport to Caldera or wherever, swipe the ring of invisibility from that one shopkeep.

Chameleon > Invisibility

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

A Metroid 2 remake came out yesterday, so far its good bit its kinda a pain in the rear end to play with an analog stick.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Arc Light posted:

The Elder Scrolls mythology is nuts, and I'm annoyed that we see less and less of it with each passing game. It's a shame Bethesda doesn't keep legit crazy writers on their staff these days.

If you're playing Oblivion on PC, do yourself a favor and download a graphics mod to make it look pretty again, and maybe a leveling mod so that enemies aren't always pushovers 2 levels below you.

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul does both. In addition to better graphics, it sets most NPCs to static levels, so there are dungeons you straight up can't survive until you're decently high level.

Even though Kirkbride hasn't worked for them since Morrowind, they still include some of his craziness that he writes out-of-game and even consult him on some lore poo poo. Like the crazy old guy screaming about Talos in Whiterun? Parts of that were a Michael Kirkbride text that wasn't in any games before.

Yeah, definitely going to use some mods for Oblivion. I've got some rose tinted glasses for Oblivion since it was my first Elder Scrolls (I played Morrowind for maybe half an hour loving around not knowing how to do anything on my buddy's xbox way back in the day), so I can stomach the lovely leveling system and potato faces but it'll be nice to go through it with some mods this time. I finished all the guild quests and junk, just never got around to finishing the main quest.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CMD598 posted:

Chameleon > Invisibility

Being Morrowind I'm sure there was some way to get full Chameleon 5 minutes off of the boat but I never found it. The ring was cake to steal.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mike-o posted:

Yeah, definitely going to use some mods for Oblivion. I've got some rose tinted glasses for Oblivion since it was my first Elder Scrolls (I played Morrowind for maybe half an hour loving around not knowing how to do anything on my buddy's xbox way back in the day),

Same, except my Morrowind experience was watching HDI install weird rear end mods and gently caress around, like a nude mod and just loving teabag the camera for 5 minutes at a stretch.

Just bought skyrim+DLC for $26 and it's all this thread's fault.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I beat the main storyline for Wild Hunt. Started to get impatient towards the end, still had like 4-5 witcher contracts and a few random secondary quests left. 70 hours, level 35.

Gonna do the expansions and then probably NG+ on the hardest difficulty.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Didn't you get the game on like Friday

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

Even though Kirkbride hasn't worked for them since Morrowind, they still include some of his craziness that he writes out-of-game and even consult him on some lore poo poo. Like the crazy old guy screaming about Talos in Whiterun? Parts of that were a Michael Kirkbride text that wasn't in any games before.

Yeah, definitely going to use some mods for Oblivion. I've got some rose tinted glasses for Oblivion since it was my first Elder Scrolls (I played Morrowind for maybe half an hour loving around not knowing how to do anything on my buddy's xbox way back in the day), so I can stomach the lovely leveling system and potato faces but it'll be nice to go through it with some mods this time. I finished all the guild quests and junk, just never got around to finishing the main quest.

its bad. like holy poo poo bad. if you did the dark brotherhood quests then you saw the best oblivion has to offer

dagger unity had another release but theres still a bunch of poo poo missing that actually makes it a game. hopefully theyll get it to that point soon

in other news, my quest to play all of my steam library is slowly approaching the bs. just got 11 a games to plow thru first

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Didn't you get the game on like Friday

I got it the 30th. So 8 days.

Out of those 70 hours probably 50-60 of it is actually playing. I was working from home mostly last week so I would do a quest or two then have it on pause for hours.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Vasudus posted:

I got it the 30th. So 8 days.

Out of those 70 hours probably 50-60 of it is actually playing. I was working from home mostly last week so I would do a quest or two then have it on pause for hours.

:catstare:

you have it on easy mode or what?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

http://www.amistech.com/msc/index.html#media

lol, this video owns. If something like this was added to a game like dayz I dont think my autism would ever let me quit. I think I could spend the rest of my video game life wandering a post apocalyptic waste land looking for parts to build my summer car and drinking beer.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 8, 2016

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Arrath posted:

stealing poo poo in oblivion after school was the best

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

finally getting around to redoing a bunch of poo poo on my cabinet today, need to finally getting around to swapping out the c:\ for a SSD but i'll have to do it as a new install.

also i may have run out of systems to emulate on this thing. I'm just now tossing on the Taito Type-X arcade platform (Tetris Grandmaster motherfuckers) and i figured since I have a couple TB free I'll grab whats available for PSP. Because why not.

also found my old copies of ZZT and Super ZZT when i was clearing out an old bookshelf so I tossed them on there too. I spent way too many hours playing them as a kid but goddamn i'll play them again.

Also PS2 emulation has finally gotten halfway decent, but a lot of games are fiddly and need special settings to work. I was playing a bunch of The Bouncer earlier though.

My lightgun power supply for the recoil finally came in. it was some A1C at Tindall i think, since the return address for for a barracks. took him 2 months to send this poo poo out to me.

I need to get a Wii controller and a sensor bar now too for this poo poo.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
N4B can I come to your house after school?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Deathy McDeath posted:

N4B can I come to your house after school?

hells yeah

realtalk the best part about this is people going through my lists of games and freaking out about seeing a game they haven't played in a million years

Right now on this thing I got

-Atari 2600/5200/7800/Lynx/Jaguar
-NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube/Wii
-Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance/Virtual Boy
-Sega Master System/Genesis/32x/Saturn/Dreamcast (technically Naomi as well, since most emulators do it)/Game Gear
-PS1/PS2
-Neo Geo Pocket Color
-MAME
-Some random stuff -Mostly Neo-Geo poo poo I grabbed from Humbe Bundle but I got my Steam poo poo on there too

adding Taito Type X and PSP now, maybe I'll grab the new Nintendo DS emulator that supposedly works well (DeSmuME)

also the Lightgun works really well, and I grabbed some stupid USB footpad for pro FPS gamers that works well as a foot pedal for all the Time Crisis games.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

can we play contra hard corps/probotector

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Two Finger posted:

can we play contra hard corps/probotector

yeah i got the genesis version

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i'm the big wolf robot

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

its bad. like holy poo poo bad. if you did the dark brotherhood quests then you saw the best oblivion has to offer

Respectfully disagree, Shivering Isles is pretty loving great.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Redeye Flight posted:

Respectfully disagree, Shivering Isles is pretty loving great.

gently caress I forgot that I barely touched shivering isles, gently caress the main quest that's what I'm going to do as soon as possible.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of shivering isles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fxVeAVl2I8

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

ElMaligno posted:

A Metroid 2 remake came out yesterday, so far its good bit its kinda a pain in the rear end to play with an analog stick.

I'm getting a pretty big kick out of this game. Perfect mix of Metroid 2 and Super Metroid.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

Neat, but how has he not gotten a C&D from nintendo yet?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

That was my question as well, but whatever.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

nintendo pledged earlier last year to stop being so douchey about fan made games

thats why mother 4 is still being made

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

:catstare:

you have it on easy mode or what?

The second highest one, I think. Whenever I do NG+ it's gonna be on Death March.

I was largely overleveled for the majority of the game because of doing sidequests, I think.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

nintendo pledged earlier last year to stop being so douchey about fan made games

thats why mother 4 is still being made

I wonder how long until the perverts make Nintendo regret this decision.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Apparently some websites that where carrying the game did get a C&D.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I wonder how long until the perverts make Nintendo regret this decision.

Steam Greenlight is still a thing.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
guys i've gone balls deep into Elite the past few days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
C'mon Dishonored 2, get here faster!