Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

Queensland Premier Pauline Hanson.

sounds about right.

kirbysuperstar posted:

First Dog keeps showing up in my Google Now feed. What did I do to deserve this?

" because you showed interest in First Dog on the Moon"

* holy poo poo my voice recognition capitalises First Dog on the Moon

Amethyst posted:

Chicken salt on fish and chips. Good or bad?

Good

bigis posted:

I wonder how the reffo team would go if Australia was hosting the Olympics.

We will decide who comes to these games and the circumstances in which they come?

Fences will be extended an extra 30 centimetres above the maximum high jump.

Anidav posted:

Ricky Muir is melting down on Facebook about not being elected.

Sorry Rick I tried to help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Kat Delacour posted:

Sounds like the ACMA are politely/officially saying "He's an idiot, gently caress that guy"

Sounds like ACMA are politely/officially saying "we're of no loving use to anyone, no loving use at all"

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The entire basis of media regulation in Australia is what a reasonable, ordinary person would conclude. To say that a reasonable ordinary person would think Bolt is hyperbolic and opinionated is saying Bolt's audience/followers are unreasonable and extraordinarily stupid.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I still think that bolt is some kind of twisted performance art.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

kirbysuperstar posted:

First Dog keeps showing up in my Google Now feed. What did I do to deserve this?

Kommando posted:

holy poo poo my voice recognition capitalises First Dog on the Moon

These are end times

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Kat Delacour posted:

The entire basis of media regulation in Australia is what a reasonable, ordinary person would conclude. To say that a reasonable ordinary person would think Bolt is hyperbolic and opinionated is saying Bolt's audience/followers are unreasonable and extraordinarily stupid.

That's a real sick burn and I'm sure they'll reconsider their ways.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ricky Muir posted:

Malcolm Roberts from One Nation has been elected to the Senate with 77 below the line primary votes. Naturally there is an uproar from aspects of the media, political commentators and the public. I have noted this with great interest and frustration all in one.

The 2016 electoral reforms which were rammed through the parliament would not have been possible without the Greens siding with the Government to get the numbers to pass the Senate. Remember, the Greens and their supporters repetitively stated that this was the Greens policy for many years and will make the system democratic.
Many used my 2013 below the line first preference (479) as justification for the changes.

Now that the changes have been enacted and we have had our first election under them, lets look at some of the Victorian results.

We will start with how many below the line first preferences I received, then I will highlight in order below how many Victorian Senators got elected on less than I received.

NOT ELECTED:
Ricky Muir (AMEP) 10,632.

ELECTED:
Jacinta Collins (ALP) 3,185
Stephen Conroy (ALP) 3,106
Bridget McKenzie (NATS) 2,360
Janet Rice (GREENS) 1,998
James Paterson (LIB) 1,467
Scott Ryan (LIB) 1,261
Gavin Marshall (ALP) 1,167

This happens because of above the line voting. Parties still get to chose who their candidates are above the line and in what order they appear on the ballot paper, yep, the Libs and Greens, despite stating that they were giving the power back to the people as to where their preference goes, dictate who and in what order their preference go to.
This results in candidates being elected with little to no public support, but apparently it is O.K, as their party gets to choose who that is in their group, not the voter.
Sound familiar?

Isn't that why they rammed electoral reform through?

To ultimately give the power of the preference back to the voter I suggested many changes during the electoral reform debate, including complete removal of above the line voting, introducing the Hare-Clarke system and/or introducing a Robson Rotation.

All the above would have returned Senate voting back to our constitution of candidate based voting where a candidate would have had to of had public support to be elected, the LNP and GREENS rejected this and continued to say that the system that they were introducing was democratic.

In short, Malcolm Roberts got elected because One Nation received enough of a primary vote above the line to keep him in the game long enough.

These are the the rules that were implemented as the Greens "long term policy". There is plenty on the public record where the Greens quote over and over that the new system is democratic, and this is the result of their policy.

On that note, every candidate who is currently elected is democratically elected under the current electoral laws. The voters have spoken and we have three years to decide whether we are content with their performance on not.

This whole 'Senate BTL Primary Vote' truther movement is one of the dumber outcomes of the election.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

To ultimately give the power of the preference back to the voter I suggested many changes during the electoral reform debate, including complete removal of above the line voting, introducing the Hare-Clarke system and/or introducing a Robson Rotation.
These are good suggestions that should be done (and are already done in Tasmania and the ACT).

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Bring in CIRs while you're at it.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lid posted:

ACMA agreed. Even though Mr Bolt said his viewers "chose facts above fear" and presented his views as facts, ACMA believed his use of overblown language would have made the ordinary person realise he was only giving an opinion.

lmao

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I don't see the huge problem with it. A Party's second and third candidates are always going to get lower primary votes and rely on the flow of preferences, right?

I don't consider that to be fundamentally undemocratic.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

That really is an amazing line isn't it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
comparing below the line votes is completely stupid when the majority of votes are done above the line.

"Oh no, more people voted for One Nation than Motorists and they got in and I didn't - abloo bloo bloo"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

This whole 'Senate BTL Primary Vote' truther movement is one of the dumber outcomes of the election.

Nice meltdown.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Well it looks like we will get an early indication of exactly how full of poo our new crossbench are:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/mark-dreyfus-says-labor-will-%27stand-together/7699518

quote:

Mark Dreyfus: Labor will 'stand together with ethnic communities' to fight attempts to change section 18C Monday 8 August 2016 7:37AM (view full episode)

When Parliament returns at the end of this month, Liberal Democrat David Leyonhelm is set introduce a Bill to altogether dump the contentious section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, which makes it illegal to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person because of their race, colour or ethnic origin. Leyonhelm has the support of several of the new crossbenchers, including One Nation's Malcolm Roberts, who says minorities would not be hurt or offended unless they chose to take offence. :psyboom:

Attorney General George Brandis says the Government has no plans to reform 18C, though some Coalition MPs publicly support change. Shadow Attorney General Mark Dreyfus says there is 'no need' to change section 18C.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-08/xenophon-wont-support-removing-18c-racial-discrimination-act/7699374

quote:

Nick Xenophon rules out support for removing 18C from Racial Discrimination Act By political reporter Stephanie Anderson Updated 37 minutes ago

Crossbench senator Nick Xenophon has ruled out supporting any future changes to the Racial Discrimination Act. Liberal Democrat senator David Leyonhjelm plans to introduce a bill to remove section 18C of the Act, which makes it unlawful for someone to do an act that is reasonably likely to "offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate" someone because of their race or ethnicity. Crossbench senators Derryn Hinch, Bob Day and One Nation politicians have also voiced support for amending 18C, which was brought in by the Keating government in 1995.

Attorney-General George Brandis ruled out changes to the legislation last week.

Senator Xenophon has told the ABC he would not support any changes, citing the failed attempt for amendments by the former Abbott government. He said the proposed amendments, pulled off the table by former prime minister Tony Abbott in 2014, "weren't well considered". "I can understand some of the arguments put forward," he said. "But when you have both the Jewish community and Arab community on a unity ticket, in the same room, saying 'we think these amendments are reckless', then you know this is an area that we shouldn't go down."

If Labor and the Greens also maintain their opposition to changes, there is little chance any amendments will pass the Upper House.

Shadow Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus said attacks on the Act were driven by "ill-informed comment", and voiced concerns that there would be a "rise in hate speech in the community" if the Act was weakened. And he said the issue would be a test of Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's leadership. "Malcolm Turnbull has to rule out making 18C in any way a bargaining chip [for the crossbench]," he said. The Racial Discrimination Act was first introduced in 1975 and changes to 18C were made in 1995 when Parliament passed the Racial Hatred Act.

Why isn't Billy Boy Leak being charged under 18C?

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/indigenous-dads:-stories-of-indigenous-fatherhood/7699848

quote:

#IndigenousDads: stories of Indigenous fatherhood counter Bill Leak cartoon Monday 8 August 2016 8:35AM (view full episode)

Australians have taken to social media to share photos and stories of Indigenous fatherhood and family, following a Bill Leak cartoon published in The Australian last Thursday. The cartoon depicted a police officer holding an Aboriginal child, telling the child's father to teach him about personal responsibility. The father was drawn holding a can of beer and saying, 'Yeah righto, what's his name then?' The publication was met with howls of outrage, and prompted some advertisers to question their relationship with the national broadsheet. Over the weekend, the hashtag #IndigenousDads sprung up in opposition to the 'offensive and racist' stereotyping in the cartoon.

Joel Bayliss, the Indigenous father who began the hashtag, joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

loving refos taking aw medals! Of course they swim well! All the bad swimmers are dead. Should make 'em swim wearing niquabs or just leave the towels on their heads.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-07/syrian-swimmer-yusra-mardini%27s-olympic-debut/7698058

quote:

Rio 2016: Syrian swimmer Yusra Mardini makes debut for first Refugee Olympic Team in butterfly heats Updated yesterday at 11:13am

It was what Yusra Mardini left unsaid, rather than the conventional words of excitement, that made the bigger impression after the teenager's debut in the Olympic pool on Saturday. "I was only thinking about water and the last competitions and where I am now," Mardini told reporters when asked what went through her mind ahead of her 100 metre butterfly heat. The Syrian 18-year-old is swimming for the world's first refugee Olympic team. The first of the refugees in action, she had looked down briefly before stepping on the platform. "I left swimming for two years so now we are working to get back to my level," said Mardini, who won her heat of five swimmers but finished 41st overall, when asked how her time compared to previous ones. There was no need to explain the two-year break in her career, or indeed what kind of water might have been on her mind.

The first Refugee Team

The team of 10 refugee athletes have no flag or national anthem, but now have a home in the Olympic Village. Just last year she was fleeing Syria, making a treacherous sea crossing from Turkey to Greece and arriving in Berlin with her sister. She swam part of that crossing over to the island of Lesbos, helping other refugees who were in the water and were unable to swim. "It was quite hard to think that you are a swimmer and you might end up dying in the water," she said later. A competitive swimmer in Syria, she is now part of a refugee team backed by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

She has met the Pope and been feted in Rio.

"It was really cool and everything was amazing and everyone welcomed us," she said of the opening ceremony, speaking as reporters crowded around. "It was really amazing and an incredible feeling to compete here in the Olympics and I am happy and glad for that … I'm really happy to be here and to see all of the champions and other swimmers here." She shrugged off a suggestion that all the attention around her might have prevented her from just enjoying the experience of the Games. "This is not difficult because all of those people want to show everyone what I'm doing … and that we didn't stop our refugee trip and it continues," she said. And then it was back to sport again. "I'm really excited for the 100 [metre] freestyle and I hope I'm going to swim better."
:3:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
gently caress a chicken salt

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No, don't

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mad Katter posted:

I don't see the huge problem with it. A Party's second and third candidates are always going to get lower primary votes and rely on the flow of preferences, right?

It's not a huge problem, no. Roberts got substantially less than the average second senator (who normally get a few thousand first preferences), but that's probably because he's in a party where the leader's name is also in the party name. The same happened with the second and third NXT Senators.

Might as well do this here:

Addendum to my How STV systems work post.

What is a Robson Rotation?
Currently, parties can select the order of candidates on the ballot paper. This allows them to put their best (ie most factionally important) candidates at the top, giving them a greater chance of being elected.

A Robson Rotation involves using additional ballot papers with the candidates in a different order. This means that every candidate gets to be in the top spot.

Wouldn't you have a huge number of ballots?
It's not necessary to cover every permutation. The simplest approach is to have every candidates at the top and just rotate the order (for four candidates it would be ABCD, BCDA, CDAB, DABC). The ACT experimented with this, but found people were still voting straight ticket, which meant the preference flows tended to go in only a few specific paths, aiding some candidates depending on what position they drew. The solution is to add in more options (most obviously a set like DCBA, CBAD, BADC, ADBC). The ACT has 60 different ballot papers for 5-member electorates, and 420 for the 7-member electorate.

Are there any other effects?
  • Major parties cannot easily privilege certain candidates. While it might be helpful for major parties to spread their quotas around more candidates (eg Singh's actions in Tasmania probably got Labor an extra Senator) there is no guarantee that would help a factional boss on the top of the ticket.
  • It would probably hurt smaller parties a little, since it's a zero sum game.
  • Senate How-to-Vote cards become unworkable, given how many different ballot papers exist.
  • Above-the-Line voting would probably have to be removed.

The Tasmanian Electoral Commission had a paper on it from 2008, comparing the implementation there to the one in the ACT.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lid posted:

Andrew Bolt's comments about climate change on his television show were so hyperbolic and subjective that no reasonable person would think he was providing a "concluded scientific position", the television regulator has found.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) found The Bolt Report did not breach the Commercial Television Industry's Code of Practice when Mr Bolt presented facts about global temperatures in an episode aired on Southern Cross Ten in late 2015.

In particular, by showing a graph of global temperatures from 1997 to present, Mr Bolt was correct to say "there has been no real warming of the atmosphere for some 18 years now". However, the full chart goes back to 1979 and shows an increase in temperatures from 1979 to 1997.

ACMA noted that, while climate change was occurring, the code's requirements for accuracy only applied to statements of fact, not statements of opinion.

"Current affairs programs such as The Bolt Report are not precluded from taking a position of any matter and are not required to be balanced or to include all information about a particular issue," ACMA's report found.

"Much of Mr Bolt's language was hyperbolic, such as 'great global warming scare campaign', 'Australians aren't stupid', 'can't be fooled for long', 'all that propaganda' ... The use of hyperbole indicated that Mr Bolt was giving his subjective personal opinion about the matters being discussed and was not presenting a concluded scientific position about global warming in the segment."

Ten told ACMA Mr Bolt was presenting "his opinion based on material presented during the segment, rather than presenting the material as a statement of fact".

ACMA agreed. Even though Mr Bolt said his viewers "chose facts above fear" and presented his views as facts, ACMA believed his use of overblown language would have made the ordinary person realise he was only giving an opinion.

Mr Bolt declined to comment when contacted by Fairfax Media.

The program in question aired on November 8 last year but the investigation did not start until April. Mr Bolt's show now airs on subscription station Sky News Live.

The complaint argued that "taking small sections of larger graphs is neither accurate nor scientific" and was a way to manipulate data. It called for a correction and apology.

Co-host of Ten another show, Waleed Aly, criticised Mr Bolt's show a month after it aired, saying Mr Bolt could not keep denying climate change because of emotional or incorrect reasons.

He lied so big only an idiot would believe him. I hope theres not many of those about

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Wouldn't you have a huge number of ballots?
It's not necessary to cover every permutation.
On the other hand, printing more senate ballots than there are atoms in the universe would be cool

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mr Chips posted:

On the other hand, printing more senate ballots than there are atoms in the universe would be cool

If each senate paper is written on one atom how are we going to fold it up to put it in the white box?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hooman posted:

If each senate paper is written on one atom how are we going to fold it up to put it in the white box?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One Nation senator for Western Australia, Rodney Culleton, has been arrested in New South Wales over a larceny conviction.

itshappening.gif

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Oh my god, the 730 interview with Culleton is golden.
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2016/s4510194.htm

LAUREN DAY: And why the burqa should be banned?

ROD CULLETON: (Laughs) I tend to think Muslim women, you know, would be very attractive women. I mean, why do they have to hide their face?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

GrandMaster posted:

ROD CULLETON: (Laughs) I tend to think Muslim women, you know, would be very attractive women. I mean, why do they have to hide their face?

Burqa shops (Berk Burqa Bargains?) are going to see a massive increase in business.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GrandMaster posted:

Burqa's are oppressing my right to perv on women has to be the whitest malest reason ever for banning the burqa.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-08/no-conspiracy-around-patriot-movement-galea/7699674

lol at fascists thinking the police are conspiring against them.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I actually don't think Culleton should be sentenced to over 12 months jail over what he's done

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What's with the left-right paradigm only being applied to white people? How could anyone possibly argue this was the first time anti-terror laws have been used against the right?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/08/my-10-principles-to-reform-the-united-nations-before-its-too-late

KRudd fixes the UN

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mad Katter posted:

Sounds like Muir is advocating for the official non-recognition of political parties altogether, in which case :getin:.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What's with the left-right paradigm only being applied to white people? How could anyone possibly argue this was the first time anti-terror laws have been used against the right?

Extremists don't count as right wing if they're Muslim.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Christ, the very first line of that:

quote:

I will not now be a candidate for the position of UN secretary general but I offer these reflections to the next SG and to the UN member states

As for the UN itself, I think it's going to slide into long term irrelevance, as much as that is a shame.

After the US/UK/AUS sidestepped around the UN in the invasion of Iraq the decline started in full.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

i'm still working on doing a new naziwatch thing but basically there's this real amazing persecution complex emerging within the "patriot movement" (actually right-wing ultranationalists). The rhetoric being pumped out is some next level poo poo and really I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone affiliated with these groups to be arrested under these laws.

e:

:eyepop:

Recoome fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 8, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Isn't the whole reason these groups get started in the first place that people feel like they're being persecuted?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

It's really goddamn rich of him to take a run for the leadership when his final moments in office were spent passing refugee policies widely and aggressively opposed by the UN. Has anyone put to him how he would have reconciled the differences in policy between the UN and himself concerning refugees if he had formally been nominated to run for leadership? Was his goal to double-down and try to make boat turnbacks a worldwide policy or was he planning on repudiating his own platforms as leader of Australia?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Serrath posted:

It's really goddamn rich of him to take a run for the leadership when his final moments in office were spent passing refugee policies widely and aggressively opposed by the UN. Has anyone put to him how he would have reconciled the differences in policy between the UN and himself concerning refugees if he had formally been nominated to run for leadership? Was his goal to double-down and try to make boat turnbacks a worldwide policy or was he planning on repudiating his own platforms as leader of Australia?

Pretty sure his plan was to say whatever was needed to get a grip on power and hold it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

open24hours posted:

Isn't the whole reason these groups get started in the first place that people feel like they're being persecuted?

I honestly thought it revolved more around some kind of moral panic about Islam, rather than being persecuted (at least until now). My opinion is that the ultranationalist groups have only introduced the persecution part into the discourse this year, seeing as they've only had like one somewhat successful rally in Perth.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'm disappointed that VicPol didn't carry out their usual shoot first policy when dealing with the mentally ill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Please, you havent been persecuted til you've joined the Democrats

• Locked thread