Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Server is back up as of this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Please toss an invite to @Eltoasto

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Bought this because it was on sale, want to try it out, throw an invite to @luizjaq please!

frajaq fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 7, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Got told I had too much health as a DPS today. This is why I don't DPS.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Just picked this up. Could I get an invite for @ManifestDynasty?

Are there any "must have" mod suggestions that aren't listed in the OP's short list?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I see this is on sale, and I'm considering buying it.

I'm reading everywhere that it improved significantly since release.

In general though I don't play MMOs because I don't like the typical grinding experience found in MMOs. Repetitive action is not fun.

Is this any different from other MMOs in that regard? I should note that I'm someone who loved Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, so I'd really like some more Elder Scrolls right about now.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Inverness posted:

In general though I don't play MMOs because I don't like the typical grinding experience found in MMOs. Repetitive action is not fun.

Is this any different from other MMOs in that regard? I should note that I'm someone who loved Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, so I'd really like some more Elder Scrolls right about now.

You obviously won't get the sheer freedom that you have in other elder scrolls games, but assuming you get a significant level of enjoyment from the world/lore, there's plenty to keep you there. Just don't treat it like an MMO and it won't be. :shrug:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Inverness posted:

If you don't care about it being on Steam (which you shouldn't since it requires a third party launcher), you can get it for $10-$11.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

If you don't care about it being on Steam (which you shouldn't since it requires a third party launcher), you can get it for $10-$11.
The price doesn't bother me. If I want a game I'll pay for it anyways. It's just a question of whether or not I really want to.

I've looked at a few videos, read some reviews, and have seen good things.

I'm just looking for some personal anecdotes now.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Inverness posted:

The price doesn't bother me. If I want a game I'll pay for it anyways. It's just a question of whether or not I really want to.

It's the only content-driven themepark I've enjoyed since the original Everquest, mostly because it gives me a lot of freedom (and that's improving even more with One Tamriel).

I'd get the $10 key and then if you like it, get ESO Gold Edition (which comes with all the DLC expansions) for $45 when it comes out in September.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I have been working on vMA. It's frustrating.

I think it can be a bit of grind in and of itself and I am not a particularly skilled button masher as it is.

After several different builds I have opted for a regen based build that works pretty well. I have also had to spec into health, which has lowered my dps a bit, but gives me more of an envelope, which as you will see I need.

For some reason I am not seeing the red circles associated with some ground effects. For instance, there is a dwemer round where the bosses do a barrage. From watching videos I know that these cast a red circle, but I don't get one. I get nothing when mobs line up for a charge, etc. Its not everything and I get red circles on some kind of attacks. Not seeing the ranged ones before they actually hit makes it pretty challenging though.

I checked for corrupted files and found nothing. I have yet to go reset all my video settings, but will probably do that today and see what happens. My system itself is only 6months old with the latest and greatest at that time.

In addition because the mechanics are so clear in vMA I have been able to see what my net coverage brings me. For instance there is a round with electrified water. This water should hit for about 9k for one tick. Occasionally this happens when I am crossing it. Often though just crossing the water quickly I get for something that registers as a one hit between 40-50k. I sometimes get two or more of these in my death report. From my screen I am never just standing in the water. I am not sure how much my Honor the Dead hits me for, but it is just shy of 20k I think and this doesn't really make a difference in such cases, even spammed. I have never seen this particular one hit thing happen on a video, though there are some other mechanics (like the poison) that legitimately one hit you for that kind of damage. This means of course that I go from full health and buffs to dead immediately. It's not just the water that does this, but it is very clear with the water. There is something pretty close to this in most rounds. It is really lethal and consistent health dsync. I can more or less waltz through normal mode. I think maybe it is because I can withstand these aggregated hits and they are mostly invisible to me. Another effect of this is that it seems mobs are not always where they appear to be so things like jabs don't register as they should.

I don't know yet if I can work through these or not, but it explains a lot about why pvp looks the way it does to me. Pvp can already have these 'lag pedal' like effects. Seems they are amplified from my side of things.

I plan to keep at it for a bit, but it is fairly rage inducing so we will see.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Inverness posted:

it's great

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sogol posted:

I think it can be a bit of grind in and of itself and I am not a particularly skilled button masher as it is.

After several different builds I have opted for a regen based build that works pretty well. I have also had to spec into health, which has lowered my dps a bit, but gives me more of an envelope, which as you will see I need.

For some reason I am not seeing the red circles associated with some ground effects. For instance, there is a dwemer round where the bosses do a barrage. From watching videos I know that these cast a red circle, but I don't get one. I get nothing when mobs line up for a charge, etc. Its not everything and I get red circles on some kind of attacks. Not seeing the ranged ones before they actually hit makes it pretty challenging though.

I checked for corrupted files and found nothing. I have yet to go reset all my video settings, but will probably do that today and see what happens. My system itself is only 6months old with the latest and greatest at that time.

In addition because the mechanics are so clear in vMA I have been able to see what my net coverage brings me. For instance there is a round with electrified water. This water should hit for about 9k for one tick. Occasionally this happens when I am crossing it. Often though just crossing the water quickly I get for something that registers as a one hit between 40-50k. I sometimes get two or more of these in my death report. From my screen I am never just standing in the water. I am not sure how much my Honor the Dead hits me for, but it is just shy of 20k I think and this doesn't really make a difference in such cases, even spammed. I have never seen this particular one hit thing happen on a video, though there are some other mechanics (like the poison) that legitimately one hit you for that kind of damage. This means of course that I go from full health and buffs to dead immediately. It's not just the water that does this, but it is very clear with the water. There is something pretty close to this in most rounds. It is really lethal and consistent health dsync. I can more or less waltz through normal mode. I think maybe it is because I can withstand these aggregated hits and they are mostly invisible to me. Another effect of this is that it seems mobs are not always where they appear to be so things like jabs don't register as they should.

I don't know yet if I can work through these or not, but it explains a lot about why pvp looks the way it does to me. Pvp can already have these 'lag pedal' like effects. Seems they are amplified from my side of things.

I plan to keep at it for a bit, but it is fairly rage inducing so we will see.

gently caress Maelstrom Vet. Coupled with a few bugs that haven't been fixed, running this poo poo is a nightmare. Dodge roll to avoid Solkyn's skull blast? NOPE STILL GET HIT gently caress YOUR ROLL DODGE.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Sogol posted:

Everything you said sums up my feelings on it. A tedious slog made worse by bugs and, of all things, loving LAG. Why the hell is there lag in a single player arena?

Scyantific posted:

gently caress Maelstrom Vet. Coupled with a few bugs that haven't been fixed, running this poo poo is a nightmare. Dodge roll to avoid Solkyn's skull blast? NOPE STILL GET HIT gently caress YOUR ROLL DODGE.

This, as well. The mechanics are broken and thus you have a long, tiresome DPS race with "go gently caress yourself" mechanics on top of piss-poor performance.

Those weapons, tho. Ugh.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Inverness posted:

I jumped in because of the sale and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much the game world feels like a TES game world. There's tons of little things to read/interact with/steal and do.

Also the character progression is broken wide open, except for the main class skill lines you pick at start, you can do anything the hell you want.

if you love TES IP you should get your money's worth in game play and possibly 1000+ hours of TES goodness.

EDIT:
Also the game is damned pretty.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I having a better net day and it might be possible that I have played the last several months with combat cues turned off. Maybe I'd did! Don't judge me.

It's going a bit better today which means it still sucks, but I am progressing with a much lower risk of stroking out in the process from general apoplexy.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Inverness posted:

TESO is one of the most chill MMO games I've ever played. I bought it for about 12 bucks on a lark from GMG expecting to not be impressed, but I ended up really enjoying it casually. The world is not as interesting and exploration not as rewarding as a real Elder Scrolls game, but compared to other MMORPGs you have a lot more freedom to just kind of pick a direction and wander into an activity. I would compare it to how you explore a zone in Guild Wars 2, but here there are actual quests with stories or treasure chests or named bosses or little dungeons to clear, rather than just events that constantly cycle. In an upcoming patch they're actually doing a really great thing (which they probably should have done from the get go) by making it so that you can explore the entire game world at any level and any order and the content will scale to you, which will really make the game feel that much like Elder Scrolls in a good way, rather than traditional linear MMO zone progression.

Other things I personally find charming about the game is that character building is really freeform and open to experimentation-- you can do a traditional things like a dagger guy with leather armor or a priest with robes and a staff, but you can also be a heavy armor axe wielding battlemage if you want. The game also does a valiant job of at least attempting to replicate the kleptomania aspect of Elder Scrolls by having a lot of stuff you can steal and find by rummaging through people's houses.

There are certainly some things I'm not fond of, like the environments having a major lack of visual diversity, many of the quests themselves are basically just uninspired MMO collect-ten-bear-asses or interact-with-five-doodads, and I'm not particularly intrigued by whatever the endgame is. Overall though, particularly on a sale, I'd say the game is worth the price of entry to run around killing N'wahs and stealing silverware.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Scoss posted:

TESO is one of the most chill MMO games I've ever played. I bought it for about 12 bucks on a lark from GMG expecting to not be impressed, but I ended up really enjoying it casually. The world is not as interesting and exploration not as rewarding as a real Elder Scrolls game, but compared to other MMORPGs you have a lot more freedom to just kind of pick a direction and wander into an activity.

That's why I've been waiting to really play it for the area scaling patch. I'm super excited to just do what I want like a more traditional elder scrolls game.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I made a stamsorc because the videos looked cool, even though I'm not sure how it will be to level and I'm sure it's mostly a FOTM build. But I figured I can always turn the character into a traditional sorc or healer if that doesn't work out. Game is fun, and I really like this payment model.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MAELSTROM STATUS: loving CONQUERED.

gently caress YOU WROBEL I BEAT YOUR GODDAMN GAMEPLAY DECISIONS.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the Tamriel Unlimited thing optional, or is it going to be forced on everyone?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Stuntman posted:

Is the Tamriel Unlimited thing optional, or is it going to be forced on everyone?

Source your quotes.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Hit level 10 last night, really enjoying everything so far. How do I go about getting an invite to the goon guild on the NA server so I can ask everyone a bunch of loving annoying questions?

Also I just bought the 5500 crown pack. What things should I buy with this? I'm having a hard enough time getting my head around the base game, so should I even bother with DLC at this point? I'm assuming all of the DLC packs are mainly for higher-level stuff?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Scyantific posted:

MAELSTROM STATUS: loving CONQUERED.

gently caress YOU WROBEL I BEAT YOUR GODDAMN GAMEPLAY DECISIONS.

Grats. Weapon any good?

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

jabro posted:

Source your quotes.

As a new play I'm not sure why this is a controversial question?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Inverness posted:

Here is my personal anecdote.

I bought it because I wanted to play more elder scrolls. I played it for a day.

Nothing that I enjoy about the Elder Scrolls is in this game. It is a typical MMORPG with a few unique tweaks, but has none of the mechanics, heart, soul or character of the Elder Scrolls. So if you like MMORPGs maybe you will like this. Maybe. It may even be a good MMORPG, I can't really comment. I spent 90% of my time running between higher-quality than usual fetch quests, but still, fetch quests. The characters were flat and boring. The plot non existent. My actions did not seem to have any influence on the game.

If you want to try it because you think you may enjoy another Elder Scrolls game, this isn't one. I hoped I might get $20 worth of Elderscrolls Goodness from it, it did not have that in it.

Luckily I got a Steam refund. I have not played Oblivion or Skyrim in a while, I am going to reinstall one of them I think.

Edit: Also, hi Sogol.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 8, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
Uh, we're talking about the same Elder Scrolls right? Because TESO is pretty much on an even keel in terms of character and writing quality to Skyrim. Bethesda isn't exactly CDPR over here.

E: TESO has the same (and in fact more complex than) melee and ranged combat as Skyrim. Magic is on cooldowns but otherwise whatever. The stealth is better-ish. And 95% of Elder Scrolls quests are fetch quests anyway. They typically send you across a larger seeming landmass rather than three minutes walk and some combat away, but TESO encapsulates Elder Scrolls pretty successfully.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 8, 2016

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jabro posted:

Source your quotes.
It's a quote from Stuntman. Do you know the answer to it?

DarianX
Mar 18, 2009
Can I get an invite to the guild on @DarianX Please?
I'm really enjoying ESO now that I'm finally playing it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Cathab posted:

Hit level 10 last night, really enjoying everything so far. How do I go about getting an invite to the goon guild on the NA server so I can ask everyone a bunch of loving annoying questions?

Also I just bought the 5500 crown pack. What things should I buy with this? I'm having a hard enough time getting my head around the base game, so should I even bother with DLC at this point? I'm assuming all of the DLC packs are mainly for higher-level stuff?

Post your @UserID in the thread for an invite.

NOTE: Due to space issues (we were at 499/500 members), I just purged anyone who was inactive for over 15 months (minus eSporks because I'm going to convince him to come back eventually), so if you've been kicked, just post in here and I'll get you back in.

EDIT: Ennuid, I made it to stage 7 in Vet Maelstrom again. Only arenas that give me any trouble now are that loving retarded ice stage and *maybe* the Argonian stage. Took about 1 hour 20 minutes.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 8, 2016

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Ah, thanks. I think it's just @Cathab, but if that doesn't work let me know :)

Skylancer
Aug 15, 2001
Sweet,
How much space do we have available in the Guild now?

I just picked this up on the Steam sale. Finally finished downloading and installing it.
Please send an invite,
@antiu

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wait, I'm dumb, Tamriel Unlimited is this game's subtitle. Proper question: Is the universal level scaling optional or is it going to be forced on everyone when the patch drops?

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Diogines posted:

Nothing that I enjoy about the Elder Scrolls is in this game. It is a typical MMORPG with a few unique tweaks, but has none of the mechanics, heart, soul or character of the Elder Scrolls. So if you like MMORPGs maybe you will like this. Maybe. It may even be a good MMORPG, I can't really comment. I spent 90% of my time running between higher-quality than usual fetch quests, but still, fetch quests. The characters were flat and boring. The plot non existent. My actions did not seem to have any influence on the game.

If you want to try it because you think you may enjoy another Elder Scrolls game, this isn't one. I hoped I might get $20 worth of Elderscrolls Goodness from it, it did not have that in it.

Luckily I got a Steam refund. I have not played Oblivion or Skyrim in a while, I am going to reinstall one of them I think.

e: Editing out my smartassery. I guess alot of people bought the game expecting it to be more like a single player elder scrolls game. I had it recommended to me by someone who I knew never played the single player games so I didn't have any expectations there. It is grindy to level, I guess, but I'm digging endgame stuff. Sneaking around and murdering npcs for DB is fun, PvP has been a blast for me, and melting dungeons with goons is also fun but it's definitely not Elder Scrolls 8 or whatever.

sluggo is mad fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 8, 2016

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Diogines posted:

Heya Diog. Yeh, it's not exactly Elder Scrolls, though there are some interesting bits. It would be disappointing if that is what you wanted. It is a good sort of MMO when it's not a horrible MMO.

For those of you that don't know Diog runs an amazing CYOA.

vMA update:

When I am not lagging I am slowly moving through, learning the mechanics. Challenging, but possible. When the game starts to lag it is about as infuriating a gaming experience as I have ever had.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 8, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hey I am coming back after a couple month break whats the cheapest place to buy a few months of plus+crowns?

Thanatos Mazus
May 30, 2007
Obscure

Scyantific posted:

You're not forced to play with goons in the same faction, but you will need an EP character for group/PvP hijinks until Zenimax gets off their rear end and implements true cross-faction grouping.

Is this still true/does this only apply to PVP? Can I join as an AD character and still do dungeons and other non-PVP things?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Welp it's me. I'm the guy that accidentally bought 3000 crown packs instead of 60 days + 3000 crown packs. They even most more than the game time ones!

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Stuntman posted:

Oh wait, I'm dumb, Tamriel Unlimited is this game's subtitle. Proper question: Is the universal level scaling optional or is it going to be forced on everyone when the patch drops?

Is there actually universal level scaling? I thought it would only boost you up, not down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

Welp it's me. I'm the guy that accidentally bought 3000 crown packs instead of 60 days + 3000 crown packs. They even most more than the game time ones!

Write to support and get a refund. You might get it saying you meant to get the ESO plus subscription.

Can someone add this to the OP or at least the front page or something?
http://www.gamesdeal.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited-60-days-eso-plus-membership-3000-crowns-pc.html

• Locked thread