Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

First SW done. 29 more to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That doesn't look like an armoured breakthrough

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
That beard will get caught in the running gear

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

That doesn't look like an armoured breakthrough

Gotta have some vets in rhinos yo.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
gonna bump his noggin on the airlock on the way out :(

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dizzy he looks good bro. The base is clean and a good contrast especially with the ginger beard. I'd probably put some more copper metal on him (like the joint connecting the backpack vents to the backpack, the backpack grills, elbow pads etc). It's a cool color that would help break out the grey armour.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I might do red/black pack markings on the knee-pads, but too much copper is a bad thing, imo.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's a good idea. Just something to break up all the grey.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'd weather the boots to look like the base so that the whole thing kinda ties together. I started doing that on my Sons of Horus Vets and I really like it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
After about a year of theorycrafting, dithering about, and procrastinating, I finally grabbed a copy of Calth and I'm putting together my Iron Warriors. I do have a question, though: what's the best/cheapest method of getting 30K Rhinos? I saw a conversion kit for a 40k Rhino but it ends up costing more than just getting a Forge World Rhino.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
all Rhinos are acceptable, all makes and models you can buy or pick up old ones 2nd hand are viable because they were all in use at the time. The only real choice is what type you like the look of more and how much dosh you want to spend!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yep! Same goes for predators, if you are one of those decent human beings who hates the FW predator look.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Have some Tactical Marines and a Siege Breaker:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Being able to use 40K Rhinos is delicious news. Now if only I could use something to sub in for a Medusa...

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

PantsOptional posted:

Being able to use 40K Rhinos is delicious news. Now if only I could use something to sub in for a Medusa...

Chop the long end off the barrel on an IG basilisk, that's what I've been doing.

Also, assault ram or dreadclaw for iron warriors, I'm leaning for the ram because :black101: but a claw is a lot cheaper and in the fast attack slot.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

PantsOptional posted:

Pair on of these siege guns from max mini with a chimera/manticore/wyvern body from ebay and it's a $40 medusa:

http://maxmini.eu/heavy-weapons/siege-gun-heavy

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

How do people run seekers these days. With or without a rhino?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

adamantium|wang posted:

Have some Tactical Marines and a Siege Breaker:

Noice.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJ Dizzy posted:

The legions that give infiltrate 'for free' have an advantage here since they don't need a 100 point vigilator. Otherwise your options are: rhino, vigilator, phobos, or a combination of vigilator + tank. If you take a tank it's mostly for insurance in the case your opponent seizes on you. A rhino won't survive, while a phobos probably will. The phobos also gives you the option to deploying aggressively even if you get second turn. It costs a lot though.

I'm building some seekers for VisV, but plan to run them in my normal army on occasion. I see them as a more flexible tactical support squad. Give them combi meltas, for example, sneak forward and blow up some armour turn 1. Then for the rest of the game fire your AP2 bolters. The small blast ammo type is also good insurance against cult hordes in the case you run into somebody running regular humans. They're less threatening than a support squad, BS5, preferred enemy, and they score.

Then again you could just take some vets. Which are better than practically anything (5 Seekers edge out against a 10 sniper tacticals by quite a margin, but they cost almost 100 points more)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I play in a meta where "spam" is viewed as being worse than the holocaust, and any army outside the norm must be because I am a WAAC player. So I can't just load up on veterans.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

DJ Dizzy posted:

Scouting Phobos or Dreadclaw, at least when that 3 unit phosphex quad launcher battery can't live for even 1 turn.

Ghazk fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 8, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

I play in a meta where "spam" is viewed as being worse than the holocaust, and any army outside the norm must be because I am a WAAC player. So I can't just load up on veterans.

lmao my 3rd Company Elite force is loving Kakophoni and Sonic Shrieker spam it's loving glorious

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

The dude who is running the escalation league told me I couldn't bring armored breakthrough because it doesn't fit with the meta. I bet you 10 bucks that guy will be bringing 4x5 kakophoni in 1000 points.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

DJ Dizzy posted:

The dude who is running the escalation league told me I couldn't bring armored breakthrough because it doesn't fit with the meta.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, people bringing new poo poo keeps a meta from being stale and games from being repetitive and boring. gently caress 'em

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Its not like I have a choice if I want to play 30k around here.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
poach his players, people will want to play with you because you are default better than the dude who needs to sign your army's permission slips before you can play

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lmao trying to deal with UberKakophoni with purely infantry what a loving joke

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Gosh I just love the greater warham community. What great choices I make in life.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
DJ Dizzy's club:

Mango Polo posted:

No ROWs, 1 grenade tacticals only, Istvaan destination.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

must be loving poo poo to hate fun so much that you place arbitrary restrictions on what people can bring

like seriously like it's a loving game with stupid resin dudes the rules police aren't going to hunt you down if you house rule loving hell

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
And in an escalation the point is the meta loving evolves LOL.

when I did one the Tyranids players swept the early rounds due to flyrants - look, everyone suddenly has flyers and AA as their first points increase...

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Seriously, the only restriction I used was "No primarchs chosen below 2k" because most of the players were new/didnt play an army with a primarch model.
poo poo worked just fine.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I can see that at <1000 points an all armour list can be tough for some lists to handle. Especially if the organizer is a rules lawyer requiring units to throw a single grenades in assault :rolleyes:

Thing is, 30k isn't terribly balanced at low points and there are other ROW that are just as intense. Organizer should have thought it through and let people use an alternative force org at really low levels. I'm of the opinion you should run campaigns around letting people bring more of the cool toys they want, not restrict them. Like sure I'd love to nerf veterans, but it's more fun for everyone if I make the other choices more attractive. People like more options. They don't like it when you take them away especially when they are good to begin with.

Sucks you don't have any other groups to play with. Paint up an knight army I guess?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

the 1 grenade is literally the stupidest loving thing ever

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Or just tell them to loving get good. You don't get blowjobs for winning, but 30k as a whole is pretty drat balanced - if they bring a pod leviathan with a Melta Lance and drop it behind your predator squadrons, gg wp wp. Everything has a counter.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yo, I got a quick/easy question for y'all. I've got a chaplain modeled up with a power sword (Calibanite warblade) and a bolt pistol. I figure that he could use an AP2 option so I'm thinking about swapping that bolt pistol for a power axe. The final tally would be a 10 point difference. Worth it?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those war blades are just fancy power swords, but yeah, it's free. You want some AP2 in there though and an axe on a chaplain isn't a bad way to get it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Those war blades are just fancy power swords, but yeah, it's free. You want some AP2 in there though and an axe on a chaplain isn't a bad way to get it.
Alright, consider that swap done. I couldn't come up with a reason not to do it so I just wanted a second opinion to push me over the edge.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

what primarch is this, the heraldry is confusing