Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
hi knitting thread! i was funemployed for five weeks and recently got back into knitting with a vengence. today i finished up a pattern based on the notched hem tank top from purl soho. just need to wrap up the ends and block it, it's a little too boxy for my tastes but my mom says that can be easily fixed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
Aw yiss

From dis

To~~

It's not perfect, but I don't give a poo poo. It's awesome and it's mine and drama can suck a dick. Thanks for all of the help!!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

You did an amazing job patching- looks brand new to me! Congrats! :D

Ashes_to_ashton
May 2, 2005
Rocky Horror is my Love
That looks amazing! gently caress drama, hooray for patches!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Whatever it is, it looks like a good one! I'm so glad it worked out, you did a good job.

effika posted:

Anne Whateley is usually pretty smart about this stuff too-- let's see if she has any ideas. I am fascinated by this! :allears:
I just saw this sorry! :( I agree with you, something is off, go back to instructions and confirm everything you're doing matches 100%? I would also use a different source for the instructions in case something was funky with the source you used first.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm looking at something to replace Hobby Lobby I Love This Wool for my home dyeing. It dyes easily and has never felted during dyeing, but it's a little scratchy and I can't keep giving Hobby Lobby money. It's cheap af at $5.50 per 116g/4oz so a few bucks more per 50g or so would be fine, but probably not more than $5 per 50g for now. Looking for 100% wool that won't felt if I look at it wrong and is hopefully a little softer than ILTW.

I see Knit Picks bare Stroll, Swish, Wool of the Andes, and Palette. I know people have had problems with Knit Picks so I'm a little iffy on them. Anyone got another source?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Do you need 100% wool? Fisherman's Wool is very nice for dyeing, quite cheap, and nice feeling. And you can get it other places than Hobby Lobby.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
Where do you live? Have you checked out local farms? When I lived in Illinois there was an alpaca farm nearby that had roving cheap.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm in Omaha NE so not real close to any farms that I know of. I don't spin yet so looking for commercial yarns for now, but I'll have to see if we have anyone around with maybe a handspun that I like.

I didn't think of fisherman's yarn, I'll have to give that a shot. I'm using acid dyes for now and I don't think synthetics will hold them, but I'd be willing to try nylon blends for like socks for myself. Anything I make for my husband has to be natural fiber, I won't work with cotton, and my instinct is that silk blends, while probably being very pretty when dyed, will be a little too delicate for him. Does that leave wool only?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

NancyPants posted:

I'm in Omaha NE so not real close to any farms that I know of. I don't spin yet so looking for commercial yarns for now, but I'll have to see if we have anyone around with maybe a handspun that I like.

I didn't think of fisherman's yarn, I'll have to give that a shot. I'm using acid dyes for now and I don't think synthetics will hold them, but I'd be willing to try nylon blends for like socks for myself. Anything I make for my husband has to be natural fiber, I won't work with cotton, and my instinct is that silk blends, while probably being very pretty when dyed, will be a little too delicate for him. Does that leave wool only?

I've never dyed it myself but I see a lot of people who do test dyeing or small batches using Fisherman's Wool, so I don't think the acrylic content is high enough to affect it (I could have sworn before that it was 100% wool but I looked up it when posting earlier and the website says it has acrylic). I do know it feels quite nice.

fake edit: I looked at the Joann's website and THAT says 100% wool. Hrm. Not sure now. It CAN felt though but I never had issues with it except when I did it on purpose.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I don't know why the Lion Brand site has it as being acrylic and wool, all the Fisherman's wool yarn I've seen has been 100% wool. Of course, they stopped carrying it at Michaels (I shop there for cheapo yarn because I get an employee discount) just over a year ago so I haven't really seen it since then, maybe they changed it?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I took a look on Ravelry, and it said that there's one particular colorway that isn't pure wool. Apparently the Birch Tweed is wool/acrylic/rayon. Seems kind of dumb to me, but okay.

http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/lion-brand-fishermens-wool

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Acid dyes will dye nylon too! The uptake might be slightly different between fibers, so the yarn might be lightly semisolid, but it will dye well.

I haven't done the dollars-per-gram math, but my real hot tip here is http://www.wool2dye4.com if you're buying in bulk to dye. I think almost all indie yarn uses these bases, and marks them up enormously just for dyeing. So if you're going to be dyeing your own (or even just knitting like a natural-colored Aran sweater), this is the way to go.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Ohhhhhhhhh boy that is BULK

No, dear, I don't need to go back to school and get a real job, I'm going to dye yarn all day every day and never sell it because they are my precious babies.

Thank you guys for the tips, I'm always open for more but this gives me a really good jumping off point.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I did some math later and I think it works out to $3-4 per 50 grams though! Basically it would be silly NOT to drop $100 there! Minimum!!

Realtalk though they have some smaller packs (Secret Stash, New Yarns, Kits, Promotion), with prices still better than retail even though not AS good as the big packs.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Oh yeah, I was trying to crank numbers in my head while doing something else too, thinking "yes that seems economical". I would like to buy a skein of each of a few weights/fibers before dropping $100 on it, I'll have to check those out.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Anybody else watching Slow TV's National Knitting Evening on Netflix? I'm finding it absolutely delightful.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
I started watching it, but realized that I couldn't knit lace and read the subtitles at the same time. :( Going to try again with a more mindless project

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015
Hi again knitting thread...i hope you like picturedumps....

I found some older projects, buried in my phone

a babby project for 2015.

two gifts for xmas 2015, that really turned out nice, if i say so myself.

I also finished a fair few projects in the last two months.

a giant sweaterdress for a dear friend, i made the chart for the feathers myself, so if anyone wants it, it runs on a divisible by 8 repeat, just ask, ill post it/send it.

Like most knitters, i end up with that little bit of leftover yearn, and i really really dislike scrapblankets....sooo...i make washing-machine felted bowls instead...

looots of bowls (these arent felted yet)

....my hands are sore.....cant think why....

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Those bowls are a really neat idea! Do you just use them for storage?

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015

Ms. Happiness posted:

Those bowls are a really neat idea! Do you just use them for storage?

Mostly I use them for gifts. My mother got the very first one I made, shes pretty happy with it.

I felted the other 3 yesterday, I think they turned out nice!

also....dont be me, make sure to unfold the flap BEFORE machine-felting them...or they get a pretty visible folding edge.

I have a few girlfriends who have dropped not-so-subtle hints about wanting them for birthday presents.

now with stuff in em!

Got another one on the way....also, Plotulopi/unspun yarn/felting yarn is best...i can tell that the red yarn i subbed in, in one bowl, woulndt stand on its own, even after felting. Its too soft and pliable....So this is really only a way to use your unspun/felting-yarn scraps....unless you REALLY knit it large and shrink it down....?

The recipie is pretty easy, its from Drops - http://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=5851&cid=17 - also, im apparently a dumdum, its a basket, not a bowl...?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The color changes look cool the way you did them.

If I had seen that pattern without the ones you made, I would have passed over it without a second look once I saw "short row and sew together".

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015

NancyPants posted:

The color changes look cool the way you did them.

If I had seen that pattern without the ones you made, I would have passed over it without a second look once I saw "short row and sew together".

the colorchange is born out of the very controlled process of "dammit it needs to be 3 threads to fit the size of the knittingneedle...allright lets see what color leftovers we have in this bag....oh green/brown and SO MUCH BLACK/GREY, ok lets knit!"

And...uhm, i have a secret.....i dont sew...at all, when i make these. When you use unspun lopi, you sorta just...twirl new yarn and old yarn into eachother between your palms and keep knitting, theres no darning in ends when you change yarn if you dont want there to be. I figure the feltingprocess deals with the tiny peeking bits that happen (rarely) and i dont sew the side either, i crochet it, gives a more rough look that suits the mixed yarn better, i feel.

Well...ok i do use a tapestry needle when I pull the stitches at the bottom together...aaand when I finish the edging at the top (which is also a round of crochet, so any tiny ends left at the edge i just hold along the side and crochet over, saves a ton of darning in the ends if i shift at the edge or have a tail of yarn left over)...but other than that i dont sew.

I will actually spend a inordinately large amount of time finding ways to avoid sewing in a recipie, i have a fair few no-sew hacks in my repetorie by now. It is all in selfdefence, since the large icelandic sweaters with colorchanges, would tell you to darn in ends at every shift in the pattern.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Sewing in ends is the absolute -worst-. I'm decent at hiding the sewn in ends when I crochet, but still figuring out how to make it look pretty when I finish knitted things.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm that way too. I will increase the quantity and/or complexity of the knitting just to avoid sewing at the end. Where loose ends are unavoidable I'll darn as I go.

When I'm done knitting I want to be done. (I'll make an exception for blocking).

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Hi knitsquad! I've picked my needles back up even though it's still scorching out. My obsession is making Icelandic lopapeysas; here is my latest one, Riddari (on ravelry):

Current project is the Atiru shawl. About halfway done. It's a really fun knit, so far, just enough detail to keep you busy. :)

Hoping to have it done before the first snow, which could be any day in Denver, even though it's 90 today!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Oh, I love the Riddari pattern! Beautiful colors. :)

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Love the colors and colorwork you did! Do you mind me asking what yarn you used?

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Ms. Happiness posted:

Love the colors and colorwork you did! Do you mind me asking what yarn you used?

I used Istex Lettlopi. Bought a gigantic stash of it when I went to Iceland because it's super cheap there. Also got Addi turbos for like $5... they're almost $20 here!

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015

Ms. Happiness posted:

Sewing in ends is the absolute -worst-. I'm decent at hiding the sewn in ends when I crochet, but still figuring out how to make it look pretty when I finish knitted things.

Sometimes ill use needlefelting to hide where ive sewn in the yarnend....especially with the soft/slippery arns used for babystuff.

And ill third that Riddari being very very pretty....

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
New knitty is up. There's nothing that really calls to me, but it seems much less cringey than it has been for a while.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I agreed with you until I saw the sweater with a pocket on the front for a beer. Sigh.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I agreed with you until I saw the sweater with a pocket on the front for a beer. Sigh.

That just seems made to stretch out of shape and dump your beer out.

Everything else is pretty inoffensive. Definitely a "safe bet" sort of issue, if fairly uninteresting.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I was intrigued by Gift of Thistle, but looking closer it's too busy. I don't know if I'm just not crazy about the gradients used, if it's because she did them opposite, or what. That pattern would be a good candidate for having only one yarn as a gradient and the other a solid, I think.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
I like Laurel for its interesting shaping and how it's knit up, but I don't like the seam at the back and how the cables look with each other. I'd probably end up wanting to change it to something with colorwork instead. It reminds me of the first sweater/top I ever made.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Hello knit thread, I'm making a scarf and it's about 3-1/2 feet long right now:

It's merino wool and it's purple and it's great.

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Looks to be a v comfy scarf! I can't wait for cold

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I finished my scarf:

It's huge and I love it:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

That's great! I love the colour choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Hi all, I'm currently looking for a shawl pattern to make for my wedding. I'm absolutely in love with this one http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/winter-garden- but the charts are beyond me. Does anyone know of a similar pattern or want to walk my dumb baby brain through the charts on this one? I can read the symbols just fine, but the complete lack of instructions on how they match up is where I'm getting confused. Tia!

E: Ok I think I mostly figured it out after a serious look-through. The only question I have now is what the "etc" means on the tops of parts of the pattern. Does that just mean repeat? (I assume so otherwise what else could it possibly mean?)

Shiny Penny fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 5, 2016