Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Hey, CanPol thread. Just dropping by.

:siren: Shirtless Justin Trudeau accidentally photo bombs B.C. beach wedding :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
stupid sexy trudeau

meanwhile at trudeau's constituency office:

2000 posties, public servants and their allies rally to protect their pensions and promote real pay equity.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

RBC posted:

stupid sexy trudeau

meanwhile at trudeau's constituency office:

2000 posties, public servants and their allies rally to protect their pensions and promote real pay equity.

Ah, real news! When was this?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Yesterday

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Barbara Kay: How dignity lost its shirt in high office

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

El Scotch posted:

What absolute twaddle.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oi pip pip tally ho god save the queen loving retard

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

El Scotch posted:

Oh my god I read the comments section at the end :suicide:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 9, 2022

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

im not going to quote that shithead but i feel like that entire post is basically policebrutality.txt

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Emay officially supporting the bds movement against Israel. Good cuz gently caress Israel

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/foreign-buyer-tax-15-per-cent-metro-vancouver-1.3709442

The CBC's getting in on the :qq: BC real restate market bandwagon. Poor couple buys a house before closing the sale on their million dollar property and now has to pay TWO mortgages when their buyer gets spooked by the new 15℅ foreign ownership tax.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Dark One posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/foreign-buyer-tax-15-per-cent-metro-vancouver-1.3709442

The CBC's getting in on the :qq: BC real restate market bandwagon. Poor couple buys a house before closing the sale on their million dollar property and now has to pay TWO mortgages when their buyer gets spooked by the new 15℅ foreign ownership tax.

Lmao, a $1.6m house and the guy is whining he may have to sell for a bit less to a non-foreign buyer?

quote:

"We couldn't live where we wanted to live ... we just said well that's the way it is. Let's just move to Langley and commute."

quote:

Notting said he intends to "do the Donald Trump thing" now with his vote and keep the Clark government out.

:stare:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

that's a dope-rear end banner

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Two poorly meshed gears that will slip, constantly losing efficiency until everything grinds to a halt?

Yes, a perfectly apt metaphor for public sector unions.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahaha

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.
https://twitter.com/davidakin/status/761960529539858432

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Why should we pay attention to that? We need to focus on the real issues: the Prime Minister, at various times while on holiday, wasn't wearing a shirt!

Like, for gently caress sake, it's not like JT is leaving us wanting for reasons to criticize him, why is his shirtlessness being focused on more than these very real issues? It's not like it was Nenshi without a shirt, which would be a horrifying sight worthy of actual criticism :v:

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

PT6A posted:

Like, for gently caress sake, it's not like JT is leaving us wanting for reasons to criticize him, why is his shirtlessness being focused on more than these very real issues?

media people are idiots

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

How much more Libbing has to occur before those of us that called it are allowed to start being smug assholes about it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

How much more Libbing has to occur before those of us that called it are allowed to start being smug assholes about it?

The threshold has been reached.

The sad thing is that, even knowing what I know now, I can't say I'd vote differently. I'm in the dead-zone of the vote compass on a consistent basis :smith: I just hate the Liberals slightly less than the alternatives.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Where is bunnyofdoom now

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

namaste faggots posted:

Where is bunnyofdoom now

He's here, lurking, afraid to say anything lest it come out that a "senior trudeau advisor" is posting poo poo on an internet message board without the approval of his dcomm.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Maybe he came to the conclusion that you're all out of your minds, and has less patience for toying with y'all than I do.

EDIT: Except CI, he's the only sane person here, but he's a bit of a jerk (or, to give him something to attack: a wanker and a ponce).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

*wrong thread*

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

I'd like to point out about 90% of these layoffs where done 2 years ago when the funding for their projects was killed.

Science in this country is hosed for a generation.

The Liberal party only barely saved the NRC at the last minute like, 2 hours before the old President announced it's dismantling when the Minster showed up for it's 100th anniversary party.

As far as the Phoenix and Shared Services stuff goes they are both such a disaster it will take years to fix. The old payroll system already so broken due to layoffs before Phoenix came online it couldn't be fixed. The only reason it didn't fall apart before hand was dumb luck but tons of people had long term pay problems under it (like me when I joined the public service full time and somehow didn't get paid for 12 weeks when going from term to continuing). I'm also sure that many of you are unaware that SSC is a double outsourcing in that the previous government paid CGI so much money that they outsourced it to Bell and still made a huge profit.

The Libs are going to Lib but the current disaster that is the public service in this case is not really their fault, they just get to clean up the mess.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

How recent is this StatsCan data though? I couldn't find any indication that it's been updated since May, but Environment Canada published a supplementary estimate in June that allocated an additional $84.6 million in spending, so this StatsCan data may be reflecting EC's main estimates from February rather than the revised ones.

(this was the original source btw for those who didn't want to go digging through that guy's twitter feed: http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a26?lang=eng&retrLang=eng&id=3580166&&pattern=&stByVal=1&p1=1&p2=-1&tabMode=dataTable&csid= )

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It cracks me the gently caress up they in this day and age, the stats can cannot figure out how to host popular stats like the lfs survey

is SSC the only it organization in the world that's never heard of a cdn

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

namaste faggots posted:

is SSC the only it organization in the world that's never heard of a cdn

I"m sure they haven't as SSC was originally created to do two things, get government purchasing of computer equipment under control and update the horribly out of date email system. Neither of those things have really gotten done.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

They're saving taxpayer money by not spending money on hiring anyone who can distinguish their rear end from a hole in the ground. :eng101:

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

sbaldrick posted:

I'd like to point out about 90% of these layoffs where done 2 years ago when the funding for their projects was killed.

Science in this country is hosed for a generation.

LPC could have reversed any cuts it wanted in 2016 Budget.

vyelkin posted:

How recent is this StatsCan data though? I couldn't find any indication that it's been updated since May, but Environment Canada published a supplementary estimate in June that allocated an additional $84.6 million in spending, so this StatsCan data may be reflecting EC's main estimates from February rather than the revised ones.

(this was the original source btw for those who didn't want to go digging through that guy's twitter feed: http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a26?lang=eng&retrLang=eng&id=3580166&&pattern=&stByVal=1&p1=1&p2=-1&tabMode=dataTable&csid= )

EC's 2016-2017 RPP, published in March of this year (e.g. under Trudeau's Liberals), lays out the following for FTEs

2016–17 5,692
2017–18 5,523
2018–19 5,330

Interestingly, the RPP also forecasts significant budget cuts over the next few years:

2016–17 $902M
2017–18 $871M
2018–19 $815M

http://ec.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=6ACA5FAE-1&offset=2&toc=show#s1.6

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

EC's 2016-2017 RPP, published in March of this year (e.g. under Trudeau's Liberals), lays out the following for FTEs

2016–17 5,692
2017–18 5,523
2018–19 5,330

Interestingly, the RPP also forecasts significant budget cuts over the next few years:

2016–17 $902M
2017–18 $871M
2018–19 $815M

http://ec.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=6ACA5FAE-1&offset=2&toc=show#s1.6

They did, that was based on the federal government's Main Estimates, but the government also publishes Supplementary Estimates when a department doesn't have their numbers ready by the deadline. Environment Canada apparently didn't have their poo poo together in February/March when the Main Estimates and budget were published, but got an additional ~$100 million when the Supplementary Estimates were published in June, which keeps their funding (and presumably their staffing as well) at around the same overall levels as last year. That's why I'm curious to know how recently the StatsCan jobs figures were updated, whether they reflect the February/March figures or the June figures.

http://tomduck.ca/posts/2016-07-13_misery-continues-at-ec.html
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/hgw-cgf/finances/pgs-pdg/se-bsd/sups/a/20162017/sea-bsda02-eng.asp#toc2-17

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

PT6A posted:

Maybe he came to the conclusion that you're all out of your minds, and has less patience for toying with y'all than I do.

Don't call me crazy, flying avocado! :argh:

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

vyelkin posted:

They did, that was based on the federal government's Main Estimates, but the government also publishes Supplementary Estimates when a department doesn't have their numbers ready by the deadline. Environment Canada apparently didn't have their poo poo together in February/March when the Main Estimates and budget were published, but got an additional ~$100 million when the Supplementary Estimates were published in June, which keeps their funding (and presumably their staffing as well) at around the same overall levels as last year. That's why I'm curious to know how recently the StatsCan jobs figures were updated, whether they reflect the February/March figures or the June figures.

http://tomduck.ca/posts/2016-07-13_misery-continues-at-ec.html
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/hgw-cgf/finances/pgs-pdg/se-bsd/sups/a/20162017/sea-bsda02-eng.asp#toc2-17

EC received 76.5M in Vote 1a (operating) for climate change and air pollution in Supps A (as I'm sure you know, because you're pointing it out - NRCAN, INAC, PHAC, the Standards Council, and Transport also received money for this horizontal initiative), so we know roughly what this money will be for. From B2016:

• Supporting the Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change (EC) - science, data reporting, policy and regulations
  • Moving to a Cleaner Transportation Sector (Transport, EC) - regs and standards, so not scientists
  • Supporting Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Development (NRCAN)
  • Adapting to Climate Change Impacts (seven departments)
  • Ensuring International Environmental Cooperation (EC, NRCAN, GAC) - junkets and other int'l obligations
  • Reducing Air Pollution - EC, HC, NRC - research, reporting, AQMS, regulatory regime, economic and policy capacity

I'll grant that some of the $76M looks destined for science at EC, but I'm skeptical that it's 406 scientists worth, given all of the other spending obligations outlined.

(To be pedantic, that's not the purpose of Supps. It's not a question of "numbers not ready by the deadline", Supps A through C are routinely published every year, and reflect +/- funding changes that each department has undergone since the last update, typically following a Cabinet or Treasury Board approval)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

So they where going to reopen the closed NRC building in Winnipeg despite all the equipment and staff being gone.

It would be like attempting to restore the old science libraries, they could say the funding is there but its too late.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

sbaldrick posted:

So they where going to reopen the closed NRC building in Winnipeg despite all the equipment and staff being gone.

It would be like attempting to restore the old science libraries, they could say the funding is there but its too late.

The LPC reopened the Kitsilano coast guard station and provisioned it with new boats. If there's a will, there's a way. In this case, there's no will (Just like C-51, it seems).

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
all those poor boat owning people now ifnally have the safety they deserve

thank you prime minister topless

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Come on CI even you can't say that more coast guard is a bad thing

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The more rich west side boat owners that down the better imo