Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Honestly at this point I'm more amused by Alaois poo poo posting than anything which I never thought I'd say.

Puppy Time posted:

I just have a Thing about calling a work "bad" when one really means "I didn't enjoy it."

You're not exactly wrong but the whole good/bad thing is extremely subjective. Plus people have done this with every single bit of media and every product and basically everything that exists since, well, forever basically. You can't always look at everything on some nebulous objective scale.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alaois is the best poster on Something Awful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shut up all of you I will continue to talk about kyle's videos until you change the subject. I've already binge watched baywatching and best of the worst, so kkall is on the block now. I just watched your fallout video and thank god I'm not the only person who believes that fallout is not about wallowing in the ruins of the old world, but about its steady recovery and the challenges society faces. If you ever decide to do another fallout video to discuss the developments in fallout 4, I'd love to hear what you have to say about the settlement builder. It is basically the most hands on the series has yet gotten with the reconstruction of humanity.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shut up all of you I will continue to talk about kyle's videos until you change the subject. I've already binge watched baywatching and best of the worst, so kkall is on the block now. I just watched your fallout video and thank god I'm not the only person who believes that fallout is not about wallowing in the ruins of the old world, but about its steady recovery and the challenges society faces. If you ever decide to do another fallout video to discuss the developments in fallout 4, I'd love to hear what you have to say about the settlement builder. It is basically the most hands on the series has yet gotten with the reconstruction of humanity.

Really enjoyed Blue and F for Fake, though really all his videos are good (though I disagree with him on a few points for Cloud Atlas). I can't seem to find a lot of his older ones though. I wonder if it's because they got lost in the transition or if he just wants to forget about them?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MrSlam posted:

Let's be clear here, humor is subjective, and the humor here wasn't my cup of tea by far. People are allowed to like it but for me, it was a bad movie. I typed out a longer explanation for why the film didn't work for me and what reviews I'm talking about but what's the point? Vosgian Beast already made up his mind about me and DStecks is right in that this isn't the place for it.

Ultimately the problem with the film is it wants to have a fairly serious story, while injecting improv into all the scenes, and that just doesn't work. It works for some moments, but for something like Ghostbusters, you have to lock down your script. Because otherwise, characters run amok and you have no clue who they are, or why they do what they do. Case in point, Abby and Erin who are so inconsistent, that their big moment towards the end feels completely unearned.

Paul Feig was an interesting choice to direct, but the wrong one.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

MrSlam posted:

Really enjoyed Blue and F for Fake, though really all his videos are good (though I disagree with him on a few points for Cloud Atlas). I can't seem to find a lot of his older ones though. I wonder if it's because they got lost in the transition or if he just wants to forget about them?

Alternately, he has them and would have to re-edit them to fit Youtube's dumb copyright rules, and that's a huge pain in the rear end.

Fortunately, Russian fans seem to have preserved a lot of Channel Awesome stuff, otherwise I'd probably have never been able to watch KKall's video on the Pig loving Movie or Tromeo and Juliet.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

CelticPredator posted:

Ultimately the problem with the film is it wants to have a fairly serious story, while injecting improv into all the scenes, and that just doesn't work. It works for some moments, but for something like Ghostbusters, you have to lock down your script. Because otherwise, characters run amok and you have no clue who they are, or why they do what they do. Case in point, Abby and Erin who are so inconsistent, that their big moment towards the end feels completely unearned.
I agree, all of Bill Murray's ad-libbing felt forced and totally threw off the tone. They're supposed to be fighting an evil god and he's like 'let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown!'

Like, what does the downtown area have to do with ghostbusting, or crossing streams, or nuclear accelerators?! Why would a scientist (or at least he says he's a scientist in another ad-lib earlier) be saying something like that in a time of crisis?! I cannot tolerate inconsistent jokes in my science fiction comedy films.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Apperently Bill Murray didn't ad-lib much in the film according to a few Ghostbusters experts. I'll take their word for it.

But that still does not negate what I said in my post. I said it works for moments. And it does. And if those lines are ad-libbed, then those are moments, not entire scenes. The new Ghostbusters improvs way, way too much and it ruins character and sometimes story.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Alacron posted:

Alternately, he has them and would have to re-edit them to fit Youtube's dumb copyright rules, and that's a huge pain in the rear end.

Fortunately, Russian fans seem to have preserved a lot of Channel Awesome stuff, otherwise I'd probably have never been able to watch KKall's video on the Pig loving Movie or Tromeo and Juliet.

Oh man I forgot about the Pig loving Movie. I'm kinda glad I did actually :(

I have to decide if I want to go watch it or not. On the one hand animal cruelty gets my blood angry but on the other hand I have to know if he made a Miss Piggy/Kermit joke.

edit: headless pigeon. NOPE not worth it

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 7, 2016

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Apperently Bill Murray didn't ad-lib much in the film according to a few Ghostbusters experts. I'll take their word for it.

That's interesting, since according to the DVD commentary, he did quite a lot.

It may depend on one's idea of how much ad-libbing counts as a lot, and I'm not exactly keen to compare script vs. final product.

quote:

But that still does not negate what I said in my post. I said it works for moments. And it does. And if those lines are ad-libbed, then those are moments, not entire scenes. The new Ghostbusters improvs way, way too much and it ruins character and sometimes story.

I never felt like it ruined anything, but I went into the movie expecting light comedy fluff, and it never really felt like any particular character was super strongly defined, so nothing really got in the way of anything else. vOv

It's just not a movie that left a strong impression for me, beyond the aforementioned "Oh yay, my gender gets to be the heroes without a focus on their gender!" I recall laughing at some parts, but not really what happened to provoke the laughs.

I guess I keep wanting to talk about it because it's a really, really weird experience for me to have a movie that's so insipid throughout but still vaguely enjoyable. Thinking about it is like when you have local anaesthesia and you're just poking at the spot and marveling at the complete lack of sensation. It's just so weird.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fair enough if he did. Like I said, I was mostly going by what the Ghostbusters experts have said. As much as I love the film, I don't think I've ever delved into the production stuff. But my point still stands. Those are moments over scenes.

And yeah no, I get you there. The film is really weird, and it frustrates me because it was almost good, but it was just ruined by bad characters, editing and structure.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

I guess I keep wanting to talk about it because it's a really, really weird experience for me to have a movie that's so insipid throughout but still vaguely enjoyable. Thinking about it is like when you have local anaesthesia and you're just poking at the spot and marveling at the complete lack of sensation. It's just so weird.

I will say Patty running into the mannequins and the flying baby joke got a chuckle out of me. I just wished they didn't explain the jokes or let the jokes go on for way too long cause it ends up driving it into the ground. I think that's a modern comedy thing though (I base that assumption on absolutely nothing).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MrSlam posted:

(I base that assumption on absolutely nothing).

how do i contact zen death robot to implement a script that adds this to the end of every post

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I liked the characters in Ghostbusters and I thought it was pretty funny. :shrug:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arcsquad12 posted:

My brother was showing me The cook the thief his wife and her lover on Netflix recently and watching it I was like, "Oh god I'm going to be sick" then after a few hours I was like "You know this is something Kyle would review" and sure enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SngGBB_x7qU
Love the music from this movie by the way especially in the ending where it builds and builds

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

prahanormal posted:

I liked the characters in Ghostbusters and I thought it was pretty funny. :shrug:

I liked Patty and Holtzmann. Abby and Erin, the "heart" of the film, were awful and brought the film way down.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Alaois posted:

Jai Courtney, who plays Boomerang in next month's Suicide Squad movie, has revealed the extreme actions he took to prepare for the role.

Speaking to Empire (and reported by Yahoo), Courtney revealed that he once took mushrooms before a Skype call with director David Ayer and proceeded to self harm using a cigarette.

I would believe this, if it was any other actor.

I think it went like this:

{skype screen, split DAVID AYER and JAI COURTNEY}

DAVID: Why are you calling me at 9pm?

JAI: YO DAVID I'M TOTALLY HIGH NOW! {waves bag of mushrooms}

DAVID: {reading bag}-- Jai-- those are Portabellos.

JAI: I'M TOTALLY WASTED!

DAVID: That's nice, Jai. I'm hanging up now.

JAI: I'M INTERESTING! LOOK AT THIS COOL TRICK WITH A CIG! {tosses it in the air, mouth open, trying to catch it like popcorn-- fucks up and it bounces off his nose} OW gently caress WAIT I MEAN "SELF HARM" YO!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAVID: Good night, Jai.

{Skype call ends}

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Which was the video where Kyle had Alison voice a cat?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

LFK posted:

Lindsay's Loose Canon on 9/11 is also up for everyone now

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZbH72rWAhQ
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waL2lJVbAf4

I know episodes can't cover every single instance of the theme, but kinda surprised the episode didn't include "Rescue Me".

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

lornekates posted:

I would believe this, if it was any other actor.

While some just sound funny or stupid, Joel Kinnaman (Rick Flag duder) claims they showed him videos of cartel murders and this and that, which is pretty :stonk: enough.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I liked Patty and Holtzmann. Abby and Erin, the "heart" of the film, were awful and brought the film way down.

This. Them and Kevin were where the majority of the laughs came from, at least with the audience I saw it with. Abby and Erin work as an idea, but they needed to be written better as characters. Beyond that, I actually liked Ghostbuster 2016 for what it was: "okay." I probably won't ever go back and watch it again, but I enjoyed it while I was in the theater watching it, and that's about all I can ask out of a movie of its inherent nature.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which was the video where Kyle had Alison voice a cat?

"Me and You and Everyone We Know"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jay and Mike tackle Suicide Squad.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

"Me and You and Everyone We Know"

No, that's not it. But it did lead me to find out that the movie I was thinking of was made by the same director.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

holy max landis burn batman!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Oh what's this, it's the actual thread for discussing Ghostbusters 2016

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

No, that's not it. But it did lead me to find out that the movie I was thinking of was made by the same director.

Aw poo poo! I have the worst memory. Which is it?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The Future. I know Kyle did a review of it because I remember Paw-Paw. Wish I could find the review on Youtube.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Nobody mentioned it, but I like the guy so here's: Guru Larry's 5 Movies You Never Knew Had Video Games

But I'll go ahead and spoil it for you
1. Back To The Future on PC
2. Masters of the Universe
3. Suburban Commando starring Hulk Hogan
4. Men in Black 3
5. Akira

ed: does anyone know what game music he uses for his bumpers?

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 8, 2016

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

lornekates posted:

I know episodes can't cover every single instance of the theme, but kinda surprised the episode didn't include "Rescue Me".

The first 3 seasons of that show are actually pretty decent if you can stand Denis Leary. After that it careens downhill into dogshit.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

While some just sound funny or stupid, Joel Kinnaman (Rick Flag duder) claims they showed him videos of cartel murders and this and that, which is pretty :stonk: enough.

I bet he just saw The Counselor and thought he could get in on the Leto kayfabe.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

To prepare for his role, Adam Beach who played Slipknot read the works of Emily Dickinson

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

The Future. I know Kyle did a review of it because I remember Paw-Paw. Wish I could find the review on Youtube.

Aw, dang! Ash-Pawpaw was awesome.

Man, so many old videos, lost. Like the burning of the Library of Alexandria, only instead of great knowledge we lost mostly internet randos riffing on weird poo poo.

Please imagine a humorous parody of the 9/11 crying eagle smiley here.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Confused Matthew seems to have disappeared too

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Confused Matthew seems to have disappeared too

Not a great loss. He's like Mr Enter except without the ironic humor.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Confused Matthew is the one who said 2001 literal isn't a movie. Also he seems to think that the Marvel Cinametic Universe killed his dog. He seemed to have a literal hate-boner for it to an irrational degree.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

I love everyone who emphasises how little the Joker is in this movie, since it highlights how absurd the Jared Leto stuff was. Did people just not tell him he didn't have that big a role? Were they scared to after he introduced himself via dead pig carcass?

I agree that it'd be nice to have superhero movies with personality. At least then they'd be memorable in some way and feel less like a waste.

Also, Ghostbusters probably sucked (that trailer was dire), but the idea that there was some conspiracy about it is pretty absurd. You really don't need to make up right-wing dorks hating on women, as Hbomberguy shows pretty well. Then again, they obviously saw the chance to make it not another forgettable 80s franchise update, and seized on the opportunity to market the thing written and originated by men as feminist.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Tracula posted:

Confused Matthew is the one who said 2001 literal isn't a movie. Also he seems to think that the Marvel Cinametic Universe killed his dog. He seemed to have a literal hate-boner for it to an irrational degree.

He didn't just say 2001 wasn't a film, he had a month long feud with his own fans over it spanning several videos. Still I thought his DS9 review was funny.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

kaleidolia posted:

I love everyone who emphasises how little the Joker is in this movie, since it highlights how absurd the Jared Leto stuff was. Did people just not tell him he didn't have that big a role? Were they scared to after he introduced himself via dead pig carcass?

Yeah, the Jared Leto stuff is kinda loving insane and if the stores are true he probably should have been arrested :v:

I made a joke a while back to some friends that if I was gonna be cast as Patrick Bateman should I suddenly start terrorizing people with a loving chainsaw? And not to get into anything overly deep here I always saw the Joker as asexual and Harley having a horribly broken self-destructive love with him and that's the tragedy of her character. Not, y'know, having the Joker be some sexual predator sending loving used condoms to people. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

kaleidolia posted:

Also, Ghostbusters probably sucked (that trailer was dire), but the idea that there was some conspiracy about it is pretty absurd. You really don't need to make up right-wing dorks hating on women, as Hbomberguy shows pretty well. Then again, they obviously saw the chance to make it not another forgettable 80s franchise update, and seized on the opportunity to market the thing written and originated by men as feminist.

Yeah, it's like 9/11, the Bush administration didn't knock down the towers using thermite or whatever, but they certainly capitalized on it to sell a war.

Also I still can't believe people actually got worked by the dude from matchbox twenty or whatever playing a William Castle gimmick straight out of the 60s but putting a "method actor" spin on it.

• Locked thread