Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It didn't even get shut down

You can still download it right from the creator's site

This conversation has gotten completely out of hand!!!

Anyway I beat the game and it is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Fan games tend to be romhacks that don't distribute the original rom with them and aren't executable on their own. I think that's more how they get away with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

Nintendo is just weird about what they DMCA.

Maybe so. I am not a lawyer (neither is Mario).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I remember back when ZSNES had the bloody hand throwing up the middle finger as its pointer. Gone are those days.

edit: Or am I thinking of a NES emulator I can't remember the name of
You might be thinking of NESticle

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quest For Glory II posted:

You might be thinking of NESticle

Yep!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRSbB2Eau74

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Fine kids, I'll get you a Nintardo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ahh, the glory days of the internet. :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The NMS thread is still a shitpost hellhole so I can't glean any useful info from it. Is the game actually looking any good or something or... really, what's the deal there?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ciaphas posted:

The NMS thread is still a shitpost hellhole so I can't glean any useful info from it. Is the game actually looking any good or something or... really, what's the deal there?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

GOTY

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm still not getting any useful context on if the game is actually turning out good or not, here :(

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I'm still not getting any useful context on if the game is actually turning out good or not, here :(

Maybe. Just wait in 24 hours I guess. Jeez.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it was looking really boring and annoying but theres a patch that makes it slightly less so that comes at launch. its still gonna be freaking boring but some people will like it.

i got it in the mail. idk if i'll like it but i'll try cause August 9th - 22nd is a gaming wasteland potentially more boring than shooting rocks in nms

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

smell this posted:

Maybe. Just wait in 24 hours I guess. Jeez.

Ah, I had gotten the impression it was out already. My bad! :saddowns:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Old Nintendo power was so shameless.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Not a Children posted:

I just learned that the voice of Mario, Charles Martinet, also voiced the pervy meathead general in Skies of Arcadia

Kinda blew my mind

He's the voice of that dragon in Skyrim too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ciaphas posted:

Ah, I had gotten the impression it was out already. My bad! :saddowns:
The day 1 patch is not, and apparently it's a big one

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Here's your official Metroid anniversary commemoration.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rexroom posted:

Here's your official Metroid anniversary commemoration.

Nice.

What's the "three notes" music he's referring to?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finished stargazer. dont play it

best rpgmaker game is still Echoes of Aetheria so far

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mak0rz posted:

Nice.

i think it's the start game jingle

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTYjS9JrF7s

Mak0rz posted:

Nice.

oddium posted:

i think it's the start game jingle
Yeah the famous dunnnnnnnnnnnn ding ding ding - at least before the "chorus" kicks in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM7X-HsmWb4

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Man... I can't defend that then. Like, Mother 4 is all new artwork, music, everything. Do it that way. I'm still concerned about that game because calling it Mother 4 is intentional misrepresentation but if they were to change their name I don't think Nintendo could do a dang thing

But -- like I said before. Zelda Classic. On the internet for over a decade. Uses Zelda assets. Calls itself Zelda. Many Zelda games made with it. Nintendo ain't care. I'm hoping the DMCA on Metroid Paradise is a troll and nothing more

someone actually made a full spritesheet replacement for zelda classic

also here's this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCffFG7GmP8

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Loving the bags just phasing straight through the wall.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know why I can finish X-com games but not Fire Emblem ones.

Probably because they're different kinds of srpgs and you like the one but not the other

That Mario looks really weird, I don't want to thank THAT mario

e: btw how many people have been around the internet for soooome time, i mean like, the 90s. the way Nintendo is now is so different from how they used to be then. They used to shut down sites that merely mentioned emulators, like Zophar's Domain, even though they didn't host ROMs. REMEMBER ZOPHAR'S DOMAIN???

I remember stumbling on "zelda online" which was just a couple vertical screens of some forests with you the player walking around and you could shoot arrows maybe I think, and I couldn't find anything else to do in it. Then years and years later a person got me into a game called graal classic and it turned out to be the same game but like, complete, and without the zelda name because nintendo had hit them up over the "zelda online" name so many years before

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Hmm see with Mirage Sessions I think I just kinda saw IGN give it a 7 then my EDGE came through that also gave it seven so I thought 'oh ok I'll wait on it then' but you guys are telling me its great and I've see nlots of good reveiws today after looking. The price is going up and up though so I'd possibly have to grab it now before it goes up more? :confused:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

http://store.steampowered.com/app/476650/ :D

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

we don't thank Shitman nearly enough

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I finished Until Dawn. It's pretty cool if you think about it as just an interactive slasher movie which I could get behind because in that genre the idea is that a line-up of characters is getting killed off one by one but some of them survive and having an influence on who makes it to the end works well. It's pretty much a perfect date-night game that you can experience in episode-long chunks.

I liked that you can have everybody survive/die if you do things right (and the bad ending is kinda badass). Also some of the characters that aren't very likeable at first actually grow on you as they go through some extreme situations. Like the Prom King kinda guy who started off as being vain and annoying but in the end was almost Ash from Evil Dead with his own pet wolf and I ended up liking him the most. Some of the death animations were also worthy of Dead Space 2, drat.

Another thing is that the hardest guy to keep alive is the token black dude, you pretty much have to follow a guide or get lucky with some pretty disconnected choices because holy poo poo does the game want him dead.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Palpek posted:

I finished Until Dawn. It's pretty cool if you think about it as just an interactive slasher movie which I could get behind because in that genre the idea is that a line-up of characters is getting killed off one by one but some of them survive and having an influence on who makes it to the end works well. It's pretty much a perfect date-night game that you can experience in episode-long chunks.

I liked that you can have everybody survive/die if you do things right (and the bad ending is kinda badass). Also some of the characters that aren't very likeable at first actually grow on you as they go through some extreme situations. Like the Prom King kinda guy who started off as being vain and annoying but in the end was almost Ash from Evil Dead with his own pet wolf and I ended up liking him the most. Some of the death animations were also worthy of Dead Space 2, drat.

Another thing is that the hardest guy to keep alive is the token black dude, you pretty much have to follow a guide or get lucky with some pretty disconnected choices because holy poo poo does the game want him dead.

I like how it seemed to be playing with the audience's idea of a branching story in a really well-handled way - at the start, I was getting the impression from all the different hints about various goings-on on the mountain the cast are visiting that the game would kind of give you a different horror plot/baddie based on your choices, like a monster or a murderer, etc. By the time the story really gets into high gear and shows that its a fair bit more linear than that, I was too into what was going on to care much or remember that it wasn't doing what I thought it would at the start. It nails being a schlocky horror film really well, too. I'm always impressed when a big budget title manages to accomplish what it set out to do with its writing.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Blackfyre posted:

Hmm see with Mirage Sessions I think I just kinda saw IGN give it a 7 then my EDGE came through that also gave it seven so I thought 'oh ok I'll wait on it then' but you guys are telling me its great and I've see nlots of good reveiws today after looking. The price is going up and up though so I'd possibly have to grab it now before it goes up more? :confused:

Depends. It is anime as gently caress though, so check your tolerance levels.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mak0rz posted:

Nice.

I just assumed he was referring to "tones" rather than actually "notes", cause the NES could only produce 3 types of soundwaves on its soundcard. And it's not uncommon for composers from older days to talk about how surprising it was to work with the limited sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3d1x2VPxk&t=131s

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My brother-in-law's first name is Mario and so far he's been safe from the Nintendo legal team. But it's only a matter of time :(

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Rexroom posted:

Depends. It is anime as gently caress though, so check your tolerance levels.

Well I can get a copy for £37 and I know in CEX it is £45 used and the £37 is pretty much the best I could have got if I got it new.

I don't mind anime that much I still watch a lot with the Wife who loves it but I would like a decent enough story/characters to keep me invested. I take quite a lot of anime with a pinch/huge quantity of salt.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jay Rust posted:

My brother-in-law's first name is Mario and so far he's been safe from the Nintendo legal team. But it's only a matter of time :(

Is his last name also Mario? If so then he's in trouble.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jay Rust posted:

Did you know that Metroid used to be the most common boy name :tinfoil:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Red Bones posted:

I like how it seemed to be playing with the audience's idea of a branching story in a really well-handled way - at the start, I was getting the impression from all the different hints about various goings-on on the mountain the cast are visiting that the game would kind of give you a different horror plot/baddie based on your choices, like a monster or a murderer, etc. By the time the story really gets into high gear and shows that its a fair bit more linear than that, I was too into what was going on to care much or remember that it wasn't doing what I thought it would at the start. It nails being a schlocky horror film really well, too. I'm always impressed when a big budget title manages to accomplish what it set out to do with its writing.
Yeah, it does what it sets out to do well and the interactivity adds entertainment to it. In the end it's another cliche horror movie but it works because it does it straight without trying to be something more or less and seeing those typical horror scenarios play out gives some actual enjoyment because they didn't half-rear end it. There are also still some neat details and nuances to the story that are cool to uncover like one of the monsters being Hannah and her aggressive behavior towards the 'old' monsters that work as a team. I'm also thankful that it didn't end with a sequel-hook but was a full experience. One factor that can't be overlooked is that while it's not a long game it's still a pretty long horror movie so I don't hold it against them that they decided to add some Saw, X-files and zombie movies into the mix - in the end it stays within the confines of the title.

Also while controlling the characters while walking through corridors and woods I thought that it would be really neat to get a classic point-and-click adventure game with these graphics and control, it would be a joy to play. It's not really possible to have that kind of budget in that genre though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

No, it's at 81 on Metacritic which puts it exactly in the range of "every SMT game not named Persona 3/4"

I'm not sure where anyone is getting the idea it reviewed badly. The average range for SMT games is 80-85.

Like in terms of games it is ahead of: Persona 1 and 2, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor 2, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Soul Hackers, the iOS port of SMT1, Both Raidou Kuzonoha games and it's all of one point behind Nocturne.
I wasn't saying it reviewed poorly, I just couldn't understand where "better reviews than any Shin Megami Tensei or Fire Emblem game ever" was coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek posted:

I'm also thankful that it didn't end with a sequel-hook

I thought it had a couple though, like Josh being the new wendigo if he survives, that and the wendigo spirits still being around since the old man specifically said not to destroy them or else that just releases their spirits

Tho if you just mean that it had a complete ending that had a definite starting and ending point without any dumb "well if you wanna know more about x then you'd better play the sequel!!!" then yeah, it didn't have anything like that I don't think, and that's good.

• Locked thread