Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vive-havers, The Nest any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I don't have high hopes for PSVR support on the PS4, maybe only on the Neo if anything. I mean, they would have to get it running at a pretty high frame rate, right?
I think it already runs at 60 on PS4, and that's the minimum for PSVR support

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

coolskillrex remix posted:

Luckily no room scale for oculus so you won't ever need to extend it.

aw you bad boy

Hard to believe Touch isn't out yet and doesn't even have a street date. Not doing a whole lot with my Rift right now because all the cool stuff needs hands. What's the hold up?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AndrewP posted:

aw you bad boy

Hard to believe Touch isn't out yet and doesn't even have a street date. Not doing a whole lot with my Rift right now because all the cool stuff needs hands. What's the hold up?

Well, there's a Touch-required game in the "coming soon" of the Oculus store, listed as releasing in early December. So...before that at least.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I think the general assumption is that they're going to make an announcement at Oculus Connect 3 in early October.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

coolskillrex remix posted:

Luckily no room scale for oculus so you won't ever need to extend it.

It still has HDMI and USB at one end. Mine is extended right now.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cojawfee posted:

While accessories for the rift aren't technically up for sale, people have been putting in tickets to get replacements and have prices for various things. The camera costs 99 dollars, cable is 59 dollars, headphones are 45 dollars, facial interfaces are 20 dollars. No one really knows how much Oculus paid for the xbone controllers and I don't know if there has been a price listed for the remote yet. That puts the price for just the headset around 350 dollars which technically is in the ballpark everyone latched onto.

Interesting that the Vive base station costs 34 dollars more than the Rift camera. Everyone was blabbering on about the camera being so expensive compared to what they thought were simple, cheap parts. Though 99 dollars for the rift camera, and vive controllers being 130 dollars each, touch is probably going to be closer to 300 dollars rather than the 200 everyone hoped for. Though the camera is definitely not that 200 dollar webcam that one guy claimed it was because they had the same cylindrical shape.
Those are the prices for someone to buy them, not how much they cost to make. Presumably there's some margin built into those prices. At minimum, the cable most certainly does not cost anywhere near $59 to manufacture, even with the proprietary connector on the headset end. The camera I'm sure costs a few bucks to make, largely because high-res/frame rate image sensors with a global shutter are not exactly super common, but again, I'm sure there's some margin built in there.

I won't be super surprised if Touch ends up being more than $200, but I feel like $300 is probably pushing it a bit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Helter Skelter posted:

Those are the prices for someone to buy them, not how much they cost to make. Presumably there's some margin built into those prices. At minimum, the cable most certainly does not cost anywhere near $59 to manufacture, even with the proprietary connector on the headset end. The camera I'm sure costs a few bucks to make, largely because high-res/frame rate image sensors with a global shutter are not exactly super common, but again, I'm sure there's some margin built in there.

I won't be super surprised if Touch ends up being more than $200, but I feel like $300 is probably pushing it a bit.

My guess is Touch will be exactly $300 retail and Oculus will push the 'premium' aspect and the unique features it offers in defense.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Touch is going to include a second camera to help deal with occlusion, so if each handthingy is 60 bucks (ballpark for wireless controllers today), and the camera is 99, youre looking at $220, not including taxes and or any shipping fees.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Touch is going to include a second camera to help deal with occlusion, so if each handthingy is 60 bucks (ballpark for wireless controllers today), and the camera is 99, youre looking at $220, not including taxes and or any shipping fees.
And those wireless controllers don't cost $60 to make either. A 360 controller cost ~$11 to make in 2006, for example. Obviously there's a little more going on with Touch/the Vive wands, but still.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

And those wireless controllers don't cost $60 to make either. A 360 controller cost ~$11 to make in 2006, for example. Obviously there's a little more going on with Touch/the Vive wands, but still.

I didnt say they were 60 to make. Noone who is manufacturing anything will sell the end user a product at cost.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

I didnt say they were 60 to make. Noone who is manufacturing anything will sell the end user a product at cost.
Except for the situations where this has been provably untrue (see: Xbox 360 and PS3 at launch).

But yeah, of course they want to make money off of it, or at the very least not lose money. I'm just saying that basing the package price of a bundle of items (touch controller + camera, or Rift headset + camera + cable + controller) off of the retail prices of the components included is silly. Buying replacement Touch controllers plus another camera as separate parts will almost invariably be more expensive than buying them as a package deal.

Of course we're all making assumptions and wild guesses here as to the final retail cost of Touch, and nobody outside of Oculus actually knows the exact manufacturing cost for any of this poo poo, so it's kind of a pointless mental exercise at this point.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Well, it's all we've got to do during the interminable wait for them to announce price and availability for the goddamn things.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
My gut has always told me Touch will be $150 for pre-orders, $200 for retail after that, and a bundle for $750 with both the Rift and Touch on store shelves for Christmas. Beat the Vive on price, because despite Luckey saying 'it is all VR we all want to win' Oculus clearly doesn't entirely believe that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My boss is loaning me his Oculus to mess around with for a week, any must-have free (or cheap?) Oculus stuff out there I should check out? I have Elite: Dangerous and Project CARS, was definitely planning on trying E:D in VR. :D

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Dreamdeck is the favored thing of mine for demoing to friends and family, Henry's worth a look too just because it gives some oomph.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

The difference is that console makers set their accessory prices high to offset taking a loss on the console itself. If you need a second controller or more, you'll pay for it. If not, there are still games you can play with just one. Oculus is trying to get the touch controllers out to people to sell the motion controller games. They claimed to take a loss on the rift in order to get it out to people, they will probably do the same for touch. If they were to do some kind of deal for early rift orders, that would be cool, but i don't see that happening.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

My boss is loaning me his Oculus to mess around with for a week, any must-have free (or cheap?) Oculus stuff out there I should check out? I have Elite: Dangerous and Project CARS, was definitely planning on trying E:D in VR. :D

Farlands is free off the Oculus store, and is a pretty neat looking "feed and play with aliens" thing.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Yeah as above farlands is a bit weird but has really great visuals and is kind-of designed for roomscale which is cool.
I had a lot of fun flying under river bridges in War Thunder (also free).
In my view it's also really worth getting 3D SBS versions of movies like Gravity, Avatar, How to Train Your Dragon etc. and watching them in Oculus Video or BigScreen (both free). Bigscreen in general is p cool.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well VRLA was pretty sweet. Some good Keynotes and stuff with the Hololens and other talks about the future of the VR industry.

Didn't get to try as many experiences as I had wanted as each line in the expo was multiple hours long, but I heard great things about Mind show and the HP dome experience thing. I finally got to try the Star Trek Bridge Simulator and have to say that is going to be a must have when it's out. Get 4 friends together and its going to be hilarious fun. With randoms like at the event, we're lucky that the scenario sort of let's you win regardless how bad you play, but I hope in the full game it has the depth that when you truly work together well, you can kick some rear end proper. Most of the time I was watching, tactical was just hitting every button that lot up to fire something and didn't have any real regard for distance or shields/noshields.

Still extremely fun and touch felt great to hold and use. Kaz, how have you been liking that Dev kit they sent you?

Overall after this event though, I will be very happy to get back to my own VR to use in a more quiet, and comfortable environment.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

explosivo posted:

Windlands is basically VR Spiderman, very cool.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
http://www.cbc.ca/virtualreality/

Anyone tried this yet? Is it the future? Best way to watch the olympics? Weigh in now

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Well apparently it's for Canucks only, so no dice for me, at least. :sigh:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Nitr0 posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/virtualreality/

Anyone tried this yet? Is it the future? Best way to watch the olympics? Weigh in now

Ugh, no Vive support? Screw that.

hazyrazor
Apr 10, 2006
Could out fury the president

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well VRLA was pretty sweet. Some good Keynotes and stuff with the Hololens and other talks about the future of the VR industry.

Didn't get to try as many experiences as I had wanted as each line in the expo was multiple hours long, but I heard great things about Mind show and the HP dome experience thing. I finally got to try the Star Trek Bridge Simulator and have to say that is going to be a must have when it's out. Get 4 friends together and its going to be hilarious fun. With randoms like at the event, we're lucky that the scenario sort of let's you win regardless how bad you play, but I hope in the full game it has the depth that when you truly work together well, you can kick some rear end proper. Most of the time I was watching, tactical was just hitting every button that lot up to fire something and didn't have any real regard for distance or shields/noshields.

Still extremely fun and touch felt great to hold and use. Kaz, how have you been liking that Dev kit they sent you?

Overall after this event though, I will be very happy to get back to my own VR to use in a more quiet, and comfortable environment.

I went to a couple keynotes and they were helpful but I was surprised at how few interesting demos they had to try. The star trek thing and the mind vision (whatever visionaryVR is working on) were the only ones that really grabbed my interest but I didn't care enough to wait a couple hours in line for either.

Doing rec room at home was far more entertaining than many of the demos there. Not trying to be a sour puss, it was my first time at one of these and I guess I expected more.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
Any devs in the thread?

So the platform wars have begun. Oculus is trying to control all distribution for their platform and OpenVR and OSVR are trying to become the new standard abstraction layer for all VR headsets. OpenVR has an OSVR driver and OSVR has an OpenVR driver. They're both trying to do the same thing and they both think they're doing things the best way, of course.

OpenVR has been around for a while and is finally stabilizing. Does anybody see a future for OSVR that would warrant spending any effort in that direction? It's nice that it's open, but if I had a dollar for every time an open source project fizzled out...

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

EdEddnEddy posted:

Given it looks like it'll be the very end of the year before they're out, I sure hope touch is some kind of amazing! Now that there's a ton more roomscale games out for the Vive, the Rift is starting to seem like a really lovely choice.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Gay Bean posted:

Does anybody see a future for OSVR that would warrant spending any effort in that direction?

Unfortunately no, I still don't.

Currently I'd place OSVR support about level with Linux support; if your target market overlaps with that kind of enthusiast, you already have the hardware, and it's trivial to add support - i.e. you're using Unity or Unreal and the plugins work first time - then it might be worth doing. Even then, though, you've got to remember that you're adding a big post-release support burden for your title, as OSVR - like Linux - introduces a huge number of weird cobbled together hardware and software setups that people will expect you to provide support for.

The thing is, even though it has a price advantage and its features are approaching parity the install base of the HDK is still vanishingly small compared to the Vive or the Rift. Unless Razer can turn that around there's always going to be a chicken-and-egg problem that it can't overcome, as no-one buys it because no-one develops for it because no-one buys it.

The one thing that might sway you: If you're currently sitting at zero marketing, Razer are naturally desperate for titles to show off OSVR and the HDK so getting featured by them is going to be easier than getting featured by Oculus or Valve. Of course, given how few people are paying attention to them you might question how much that featuring is actually worth.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The question was about APIs rather than the hardware, though. The OSVR API has totally different design goals than OpenVR, and I think its fairly successful at what it tries to do. OpenVR abstracts everything at a fairly high level so applications have a hardware independent interface for handling tracked objects and hand controllers, it makes a lot of decisions on the behalf of hardware in how it should be presented in the interest of orthogonality. OSVR goes the other way and makes very few judgements about how hardware is presented, its just a very regular and cross-platform interface for enumerating and accessing hardware without going through a dozen different vendor APIs. If you're making a game OpenVR is definitely the way to go, but if you're doing something weird or experimental in VR that falls outside of OpenVR's purview you might actually be better served by OSVR.

The OSVR-OpenVR bridge is actually way more in OSVR's favor than anyone else's. For Valve all it means is that you can use an HDK on their store, which okay who even owns an HDK, and the people that do probably didn't buy it to play games on. For OSVR it brings more hardware into their ecosystem and the more stuff they can support the more attractive it is as a development interface.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 8, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Hamelekim posted:

Ugh, no Vive support? Screw that.

You could probably use desktop viewer in conjunction with the 360 degree stream to watch it on your Vive.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

KakerMix posted:

My guess is Touch will be exactly $300 retail and Oculus will push the 'premium' aspect and the unique features it offers in defense.

Methinks that Oculus shot themselves in the foot with this one. They want to be a proprietary platform, but unless they let go out of that position they're going to segment their audience further into: "owns Touch and doesn't own Touch", meanwhile Vive is going to be comfortable with: "everyone has wiggly fun controllers". Makes deciding which platform to develop for a lot easier if you're not relying on getting bootstrapped by that sweet sweet Facebook dollar.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

homeless snail posted:

The question was about APIs rather than the hardware, though.

For the purpose of development priorities they're effectively the same thing. Install base of the runtime is what matters, and 98% of users are going to install what comes with their hardware - and maybe SteamVR if they have Steam - and nothing else. The number of people who have the OSVR runtime installed with the Vive or Rift probably doesn't even reach four figures, and I'm including the engineers at Razer.

homeless snail posted:

The OSVR API has totally different design goals than OpenVR, and I think its fairly successful at what it tries to do. OpenVR abstracts everything at a fairly high level so applications have a hardware independent interface for handling tracked objects and hand controllers, it makes a lot of decisions on the behalf of hardware in how it should be presented in the interest of orthogonality. OSVR goes the other way and makes very few judgements about how hardware is presented, its just a very regular and cross-platform interface for enumerating and accessing hardware without going through a dozen different vendor APIs.

If you're purely talking about the API from a technical point of view I'd agree with all of this. It's a lower-level API that makes much fewer assumptions about what's going on. You could say that OSVR is to OpenVR as Raw Input is to Xinput: If you want to work with weird and esoteric flight sticks you use raw input to access all the different things they can do; if you just want your game to be playable with a gamepad it's a lot easier to use Xinput.

homeless snail posted:

If you're making a game OpenVR is definitely the way to go, but if you're doing something weird or experimental in VR that falls outside of OpenVR's purview you might actually be better served by OSVR.

I'd say the benefit specifically only comes if you want to support unusual hardware that does things the lowest common denominator doesn't - if you're developing for an HDR device, or a treadmill, or whatever. If the things you want to do only use features that exist on the Vive then implementing OpenVR is always going to be easier.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oculus will probably be fine. All these things that people say will kill Oculus are already being forgotten about. No one talks about Rift hardware shortages anymore. I rarely even see anyone bitch about exclusives either. They've been playing the long game this entire time and it will probably work out for them. They are about to get a huge visibility boost when they release touch. Even if there are growing pains with the touch release, people will forget about them much like people are forgetting about the Rift release.

As for OSVR. The analogy to Linux seems pretty apt. Do they plan on having a store or platform or will it always just be an API? No one cares what API their hardware uses. SteamVR seems to be the winner between SteamVR and OSVR. Steam uses SteamVR and people buy games on steam. Are games on steam going to support OSVR? Or will OSVR games be standalone? Even if someone buys an OSVR headset, it works with SteamVR so they won't really care what it uses as long as it works.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 8, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cojawfee posted:

Oculus will probably be fine. All these things that people say will kill Oculus are already being forgotten about. No one talks about Rift hardware shortages anymore. I rarely even see anyone bitch about exclusives either. They've been playing the long game this entire time and it will probably work out for them. They are about to get a huge visibility boost when they release touch. Even if there are growing pains with the touch release, people will forget about them much like people are forgetting about the Rift release.

Who has said it's going to "kill" Oculus? They are going to be fine it's just they have lost two things: hype and the narrative. Now you'll go "so what makes this different than the Vive that's been out for x amount of time?" Now you have a bunch of neato room-scale experiences that are out and people play and enjoy and develop toward and AFAIK Oculus still isn't targeting that as a company so they don't get to even control that aspect of what people talk about. And there is still a chance that a 'complete' Oculus kit is going to be more expensive than the complete Vive.
It's not that Oculus is in trouble at all, it's that they aren't the only VR thing around like they used to be and time will tell if they adopt to this rather than still pretending they are the darlings of VR.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Given it looks like it'll be the very end of the year before they're out, I sure hope touch is some kind of amazing! Now that there's a ton more roomscale games out for the Vive, the Rift is starting to seem like a really lovely choice.

The Touch worked really well and I liked the natural feel of it in my hands over the Vive's remotes for what I could imagine much more relaxed long term play. After a few minutes into the demo, I didn't even remember I was holding them to play until I was done which was something I didn't expect personally.

That and the graphics for the game were great and I got lost in the job I was doing over worrying about any graphical or screen door effect so it was pleasant they had it polished down this well.

The graphics sharpness seemed to be on par with Farlands in quality so everything was sharp, crisp, and looked great even with the slightly more cartoon effect of the game. And it was all running on AMD rigs with a single 480 with no hitches whatsoever.

I agree with the post above though, the event was great and the Keynotes were good, but the demo lines were retarded (up to 4hrs for Mindshow!?) and some of the smaller ones lost their appeal as you could see they either toned it down for the sake of time. (Talon systems went from Project CARS for their moving chair to a roller coaster which was much shorter, but they nailed the whole effect as far as I can tell from those that tried it. Only thing that was missing per everyone was air in your face.)

Still was pretty awesome to go and I might have an in with the V team to be their Social Marketing guy so that would be really cool. He has a cool team of guy that all live and breath this stuff too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Who has said it's going to "kill" Oculus?

Console warriors who have cemented themselves into team Vive. Every time Oculus does something bad, they run to reddit to spout a bunch of hyperbole that Oculus is finally done for. Then everyone forgets about it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cojawfee posted:

Console warriors who have cemented themselves into team Vive. Every time Oculus does something bad, they run to reddit to spout a bunch of hyperbole that Oculus is finally done for. Then everyone forgets about it.

Eh, it killed off a lot of early Oculus adoption and bumped up Vive support quite a bit. It got quite a few people to switch their Oculus preorders for Vives. Oculus will never be done for since they have Facebook money, but it's highly likely that the Vive will be the "winner" for Gen 1 on PC by a fair enough margin. Then again, I think the PSVR is the one that'll end up selling the most units since it's the most easily accessible to ordinary people who don't know computers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's if HTC can make enough money off it. I'd say Steam is the real winner of the first generation. They support every headset and everyone already had it in the first place.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cojawfee posted:

That's if HTC can make enough money off it. I'd say Steam is the real winner of the first generation. They support every headset and everyone already had it in the first place.

Also this part has got to frustrate Oculus to no end. They have always wanted the software and nobody gives a poo poo because they can not compete with Steam because they will always be centered on one set of hardware.

Does the friends list serve a purpose yet? Is there 3D screenshots and neat VR game covers yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only purpose the friends list serves is to tell me that Wander is indeed offline. I don't really understand what they've been doing since release because they haven't done anything to improve the user experience. There's already so much right with Oculus Home. I go to iRacing and start a session and walk over to my sim rig and the Rift is already up and running. Same for Dirt Rally. The SDK seems to grab the audio of most things I open and put it to the rift without me having to mess with my devices. Then when I'm done it drops me into the home screen and I can either load up virtual desktop and check out discord before jumping back into another iracing session or whatever or I can just take the headset off and it shuts itself off and I'm on my way. SteamVR is such a total poo poo show that it should be super easy for Oculus to beat them. But here we are, months after release, and we still have a useless friends list, and no way to add launchers for third party games. Also, none of the VR store features they promised.