Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Rexxed posted:

I don't know which is preferred but my dad got the official google one. It's expensive but it looks nice and he hasn't broken it so far. I'm just using a dztronic on my Nexus 6 which is boring but was a lot cheaper (like $9 instead of $35).

I've been using Diztronic since my Nexus 5 and don't see a reason to switch. Cheap soft cases that work with the side buttons, in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Has anyone seen really weird data behavior after switching?

I have had google music take nearly a gb in streaming in 2 days.

Previously even without zero rating (was on sprint who 0 rates nothing) a month's worth of listening while driving wouldn't even break 600Mb. And that was with music on high quality, now it's been on low.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

toplitzin posted:

Previously even without zero rating (was on sprint who 0 rates nothing) a month's worth of listening while driving wouldn't even break 600Mb. And that was with music on high quality, now it's been on low.

Seems pretty illogical to me. I'd be more interested in how much of the same music you typically listen to that could be potentially cached from your previous usage. Are you using the Project Fi App to look at usage or are you using the Android data usage setting?

Why not just cache some stuff ahead of time and avoid the issue all together, especially considering you get paid back for data you don't use.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

withoutclass posted:

Seems pretty illogical to me. I'd be more interested in how much of the same music you typically listen to that could be potentially cached from your previous usage. Are you using the Project Fi App to look at usage or are you using the Android data usage setting?

Why not just cache some stuff ahead of time and avoid the issue all together, especially considering you get paid back for data you don't use.

Regarding data: In both the phone and in Fi.

I was concerned since i went ahead and only prepaid for a GB since my historical usage was below that.

I listen to a few different Play Stations depending on my mood. Rarely is it the same couple CDs worth of music.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Uh how the hell do you block Private and Unknown Numbers? When I was using CyanogenMod there was an entire page in the settings menu dedicated to Privacy settings. I've flipped through the setting menu multiple times and I don't see anything that handles Blacklisting calls. I'm getting really really sick of the near incessant robo-dialers. I even had my number put on the Do Not Call registry long ago and it hasn't done poo poo.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

toplitzin posted:

Regarding data: In both the phone and in Fi.

I was concerned since i went ahead and only prepaid for a GB since my historical usage was below that.

I listen to a few different Play Stations depending on my mood. Rarely is it the same couple CDs worth of music.

That's wild, only thing I can think of is that it's some kinda bug in Play Music.

Only picking 1GB is, IMO the smartest option, because in reality it doesn't matter what plan you pick, you pay the same rate for data regardless if you go over or under.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

YouTuber posted:

Uh how the hell do you block Private and Unknown Numbers? When I was using CyanogenMod there was an entire page in the settings menu dedicated to Privacy settings. I've flipped through the setting menu multiple times and I don't see anything that handles Blacklisting calls. I'm getting really really sick of the near incessant robo-dialers. I even had my number put on the Do Not Call registry long ago and it hasn't done poo poo.

You can blacklist specific numbers via the Dialer app, but that's about it. Google's implementing a warning for spam callers, but I don't think it does anything to block them.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...m-apk-download/

In the comments section, a couple of people were talking up Truecaller:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truecaller

I had a rash of spam calling a few months ago, but it seems to have gradually gotten better after adding myself to the Do Not Call list. I also immediately block the number after I hang up on a robocaller.

azurite fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 5, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

azurite posted:

You can blacklist specific numbers via the Dialer app, but that's about it. Google's implementing a warning for spam callers, but I don't think it does anything to block them.

I had a rash of spam calling a few months ago, but it seems to have gradually gotten better after adding myself to the Do Not Call list. I also immediately block the number after I hang up on a robocaller.

The Do Not Call list does virtually nothing. First, legit companies - the only ones that would abide by the list - aren't supposed to use mobile numbers in the first place. They are automatically exempted. Second, legit political organizations - a lot of them - are exempted (from having to abide by the list).

And third, the scourge of overseas VOIP scam farms that comprise some 99% of robocalls don't give a flying gently caress about the list.

You can block the numbers, but they change constantly, so all that will do is knock out any particularly annoying/stupid operations for a few days. You need a program that relies on a crowdsourced, vetted, rolling blacklist. The very best of those is Nomorobo.com - unfortunately their version for cell phones is in a very limited trial right now and you have to sign up for a waiting list. I can confirm it works *great* though.

Truecaller is also supposed to be pretty good though I haven't tried it. Google's (and Apple's) upcoming systems that are being slowly rolled out may help though as noted I think Google just warns you if it thinks it's a robocall, it won't block it for you automatically.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I just report the call to the FCC. After having done it two or three times I no longer receive robot calls. Probably more of a coincidence but still smart to do.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

toplitzin posted:

I am using about twice as much data on Fi that I was on Sprint (where I had unlimited data). I have better coverage now (I'm on T*Mo almost all the time), but I'm paying another $10-$20/mo and worried about data use all the time. It's disappointing.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Yea having better coverage and therefore using more data is certainly a potential drawback for pay as you go data.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My habits haven't really changed. I don't chat or text any more or less, I don't listen to music any more or less. But the 12 month numbers from before don't match up with the 2 months I've been on Fi.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

azurite posted:

I've found true caller to have gotten worse recently. It fails to intercept known spam and does alot of self advertisement. On my old phone it worked well, but i think they are using newer android features to self promote. I'm trying out that new phone app you mentioned.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I was on T-Mo before and I've had roughly similar data usage in the 2 months I've been on Fi. it's honestly helped me uninstall some poo poo games that gobble megs of data to play 2 levels.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Anyone play with a data-only SIM with one of those cheapass BLU phones? I'm going to try it since it has all the right bands. Me and the gf are going to Toronto soon, but we'll need to communicate abroad somehow because we're not arriving together. She has a locked AT&T iPhone that I don't want to mess with.

I'll gladly provide a trip report if nobody's attempted this.

Hahaha oh man:
https://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/international/international-cell-phones.html

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

azurite posted:

Anyone play with a data-only SIM with one of those cheapass BLU phones? I'm going to try it since it has all the right bands. Me and the gf are going to Toronto soon, but we'll need to communicate abroad somehow because we're not arriving together. She has a locked AT&T iPhone that I don't want to mess with.

I'll gladly provide a trip report if nobody's attempted this.

Hahaha oh man:
https://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/international/international-cell-phones.html

I have a BLU phone I keep in my car just to play podcasts and music and I tried putting a Fi data-only sim in it and while it shows that its connected to the Fi network it won't let me do anything on it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I ordered the 5x and plan to switch to Fi when it's delivered tomorrow.

I recall reading some news story about issues with the USB-C power cord on some of these? What is the latest / what do I need to know & look out for?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Walked posted:

I recall reading some news story about issues with the USB-C power cord on some of these? What is the latest / what do I need to know & look out for?

Only use official Google cables and chargers.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The recently discovered issue was the other way around -- the only thing you should charge with your 5X charger is the 5X. That charger is actually outside the spec and could fry other USB-C stuff.

Only charging the 5X with its official charger is fine too, but there are reputable chargers and cables from companies like Anker.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Walked posted:

Right now, the world of USB-C is a Wild West of crappy off-spec gear. Devices, cables, chargers, a lot of them don't properly conform to the USB-C standard and some of the chargers and cables will fry your stuff.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
There was some engineer from Google that was going through Amazon USB-C cables and buying them all and then leaving reviews as to whether they met spec or not. His reivews got voted to the top, so you can see which ones are legit now.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

photomikey posted:

My habits haven't really changed. I don't chat or text any more or less, I don't listen to music any more or less. But the 12 month numbers from before don't match up with the 2 months I've been on Fi.

OK, at least I'm not the only one.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Blackchamber posted:

I have a BLU phone I keep in my car just to play podcasts and music and I tried putting a Fi data-only sim in it and while it shows that its connected to the Fi network it won't let me do anything on it.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll play with it and let you know if I get anywhere.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The recently discovered issue was the other way around -- the only thing you should charge with your 5X charger is the 5X. That charger is actually outside the spec and could fry other USB-C stuff.

Only charging the 5X with its official charger is fine too, but there are reputable chargers and cables from companies like Anker.

The 5X charger technically isn't an official Google charger, as the phone is made by LG. I think LG subcontracts the charger out to other manufacturers too, so not all 5X chargers are even alike.

azurite fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 8, 2016

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

photomikey posted:

There was some engineer from Google that was going through Amazon USB-C cables and buying them all and then leaving reviews as to whether they met spec or not. His reivews got voted to the top, so you can see which ones are legit now.

Yeah; I found him and all his reviews. That what I went with!

Thanks all.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I will say that the USB-C charger that came with my HP Chromebook works great for charging my Nexus 6p. Doesn't work the other way around though (I get a low power charger message on the HP using the Nexus adapter).

One day, all USB-C chargers will be equal. One day.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

azurite posted:

Unfortunately that doesn't work for "Unknown" Numbers. There doesn't appear to be a way to blacklist Unknown or Private numbers. I'm gonna check this True Caller thing out. I've been blocking them manually but I get about 7 spam calls a day starting at 5am until around 10pm.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 9, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Something I discovered last night:

There's a number blocking feature in the Fi app. Allegedly, its behavior is like Voice where it gives the "number disconnected" message instead of sending to voicemail like the Phone app does.

You still need to provide a specific number though.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Following up on the data-only sim in the BLU R1 HD. Works fine, so far! The nano-SIM is too small (the phone will take two micros), but I was able to lay it in place and close the tray. I have an adapter on the way. At home, I get LTE and was able to do a Hangouts call on it. We'll see what happens in Canada. The Fi guys on Reddit seem to think it'll work fine.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

azurite posted:

Following up on the data-only sim in the BLU R1 HD. Works fine, so far! The nano-SIM is too small (the phone will take two micros), but I was able to lay it in place and close the tray. I have an adapter on the way. At home, I get LTE and was able to do a Hangouts call on it. We'll see what happens in Canada. The Fi guys on Reddit seem to think it'll work fine.

Glad it worked for you. The one I have also has the dual sim holder but mine came with a metal clip to hold it in place. Maybe I just had crappy alignment or something, since you had success I'll have to give it another try on mine.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How can I see what is using my data? I just switched to Fi last week and I'm already at 1.57GB. I signed up for 2GB/month because I always used less than that on Sprint.

Edit: looks like Photos used 722MB. I set it to sync only while charging now, that should help.

Seems like I need data on for SMS via Hangouts. I set my default SMS app to Messenger and sent my girlfriend a text. I didn't get her reply until I turned data back on, and it came in via Hangouts. How can I text without data?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 12, 2016

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How can I see what is using my data? I just switched to Fi last week and I'm already at 1.57GB. I signed up for 2GB/month because I always used less than that on Sprint.

Edit: looks like Photos used 722MB. I set it to sync only while charging now, that should help.

Seems like I need data on for SMS via Hangouts. I set my default SMS app to Messenger and sent my girlfriend a text. I didn't get her reply until I turned data back on, and it came in via Hangouts. How can I text without data?

I wouldn't really worry about texts using data on Fi. The amount is seriously miniscule.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sorry, should have clarified. I turn data off at home because I live in a cell service black hole and it drains my battery fast to leave it on.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Sorry, should have clarified. I turn data off at home because I live in a cell service black hole and it drains my battery fast to leave it on.

Texts are carried over the cellular network; you can't receive a text over WiFi. You could use a service such as WhatsApp, WeChat, Line, or...Hangouts.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

When I was on Sprint I didn't need mobile data enabled to send and receive SMS.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I text over wifi all day at my house, also in a black hole

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, isn't that a part of Wifi Calling?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Use hangouts, it's good and works.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Read?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Said you're using messenger, unless I truly can't read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Edit: i misread as well