Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Please read the comments today. You'll enjoy them!

:siren:

The likelihood of this guy being a 40 year old virgin is approaching 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Please read the comments today. You'll enjoy them!

Honestly, reading this thread sometimes feels like going into another dimension for me.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

mrfart posted:

Honestly, reading this thread sometimes feels like going into another dimension for me.

Of course we're in an alternate dimension. It's 2016 and people actually take the newspaper comics seriously!

Bloom County

Peanuts (August 10, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets (July 3 and 10, 1927)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Birthday Modesty Blaise

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Weird. Batiuk usually has a good eye for detail. Surprising that he drew the spots without room for ramps between them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AISLBrQ-ODE

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
She's not listening to this Bangles song, is she.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04HSg0YZi9E
I love the Bangles. :)

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.
\

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big) (July, 1930)

Gross Exaggerations (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (November 1934)

They’ll Do It Everytime (October 1939)

Mopsy (April, 1940)

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big) (August 1970)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

True North

Ahem, Walk Like an Egyptian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

CommaToes posted:

Officially he's a Clinton supporter because he's afraid if she wins he will be shot by the regime.

You have it backwards, he's a Clinton supporter because he's worried if* Trump wins, then the left will go insane because we think Trump is Hitler and therefore will start a revolution to overthrow Trump, and we will kill everyone who supported him much like how we went after everyone who worked with Hitler when we defeated Nazi Germany. So by endorsing Clinton he can say "It's not my fault I endorsed your side!" and avoid death by firing squad.

* Though it should be noted he firmly believes it is when, not if, Trump wins, because he believes Trump is a master of persuasion who will totally charm people into voting for him. He also believes that there's a silent majority of men who feel emasculated by Clinton being a candidate, and that men will vote in a landslide for Trump.

Slammy posted:

Mr. Tweedy

At first I thought this was a good old fashioned nut shot joke but after looking at it more closely it looks like it just went up the leg of his shorts? What a missed opportunity.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Luann

quote:

And this is going to help you find a new boyfriend exactly how?

quote:

Dumbbell is as dumbbell does… Your dentist will love you for all the work you’re going to need from neglect. If you weren’t just a comic strip charactress.

quote:

With a nod to technology…..the movie magazines are missing. So much for tradition…kinda sad.

quote:

positive reinforcement
negative reinforcement
FYI this is neither. If anything this would be pairing an aversive stimulus with a neutral stimulus, causing it to become a conditioned punisher.

quote:

I didn’t say she needed a boyfriend, it’s been a constant for a long time that she thinks that’s her main purpose in life. And yes, I’m aware, thank you, that she’s in college now, and should be focusing on other priorities.

quote:

Wait a Second. THAT Room Is CLEAN!
Okay Missy. WHO Are YOU and WHAT have YOU Done with the REAL Luann??
(Don’t None of the REST of You gimme that “Well Maybe Its NOT Her Room” HOO-DOO, Either! ;]

quote:

Some habits should never die like breathing, brushing your teeth is up there as well. Brush’em or lose’em is my motto.

quote:

IamJayBluE may or may not show up later, so I will pinch-hit in his absence:

“Hopalong Cavity”
“Counter Intelligence”
“Dumbbell and Dumberbell”
“The Brush-Off”
“This Could Become A Habit”

fort knox

quote:

What going on in that upstairs bedroom window?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

God I hate this loving comic.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

I guess that whole previous adventure with Dr. Strange and Nightmare took place this same morning. :stare:

Sally Forth

There's something weird going on with Sal's armpit here.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

This comic is amazingly timeless, strip after strip. I need to buy a book of these

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hahah dang, Sally Forth, that's something you find out in the first couple of months of relationship, not well over a decade into a marriage.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Darthemed posted:

And I'll be traveling for the next couple of weeks, so if anyone wants to pick up Ripley's during that time, feel free.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

*What happened to the Ripley's posts? I could pick that up, if folks miss it, too.

Julet Esqu posted:

Now that you mention it, yeah, where's Ripley's? How else am I supposed to keep up with all the Indian dudes and their solid gold shirts?
:sigh:

Well, I'm back, so here's today's Ripley's, with catch-up to come tomorrow.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True
I have absolutely no idea what set Everett off this time. Was cocoa code for something back then? Like, the average guy sitting on the streetcar reading the paper would've seen that line and thought, "Oh yeah, gently caress that guy up, he deserves it!"?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Trilobite posted:

I have absolutely no idea what set Everett off this time. Was cocoa code for something back then? Like, the average guy sitting on the streetcar reading the paper would've seen that line and thought, "Oh yeah, gently caress that guy up, he deserves it!"?

Notice the sign in the upper left corner. I don't get the one liner, but I'm pretty sure Everett is mad because the guy is being greedy.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 8, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The clue is in the upper left, i.e. the guy already used up his sugar portion and now wants everetts

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

Disclosure time - with some exceptions for when I'm a tic ahead of GoComics, I read and upload my strips in order. Puns like these are like loving manna from heaven for me coming off Mark Trail.

The Phantom

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 8, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats right Kit, kill your dad now!

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Mark Trail has some weird-rear end nipple placement.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GoComics commenter posted:

Dumbbell is as dumbbell does… Your dentist will love you for all the work you’re going to need from neglect. If you weren’t just a comic strip charactress.

Charactress? Really?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Inspector Danger

That's bullshit, even for Inspector Danger

Deep Dark Fears

I, too, worry that I'll die a peaceful death

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dick Tracy and Kadaver are gonna fight for two strips tops before Kadaver goes over the edge and we all know he's going to return. Well, not so much "return" as "reappear as if he hadn't had a death scene."

That's the problem with Staton and Curtis, they're the kind of guys who come up with stuff like "wouldn't it be cool if Dick Tracy fought Abner Kadaver at the top of the Reichenbach Falls", and it is as a concept, but they never go any further than that. They do it to be able to say they've done it. There's no leadup, there probably won't be much in the way of denouement, the actual fight will likely be forgettable, and you know they don't have the balls to have Tracy go over and disappear from the strip for a while, because all this stuff would cut into their time spent demonstrating how many comics characters they know, and even if they did do it it would just be a straight Sherlock Holmes ripoff announced as such with fanfares.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's the problem with Staton and Curtis, they're the kind of guys who come up with stuff like "wouldn't it be cool if Dick Tracy fought Abner Kadaver at the top of the Reichenbach Falls", and it is as a concept, but they never go any further than that. They do it to be able to say they've done it. There's no leadup, there probably won't be much in the way of denouement, the actual fight will likely be forgettable, and you know they don't have the balls to have Tracy go over and disappear from the strip for a while, because all this stuff would cut into their time spent demonstrating how many comics characters they know, and even if they did do it it would just be a straight Sherlock Holmes ripoff announced as such with fanfares.

They were pretty good in the beginning, they just seem to have gotten lazy.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

WickedHate posted:

Notice the sign in the upper left corner. I don't get the one liner, but I'm pretty sure Everett is mad because the guy is being greedy.
I guess so?

Maybe I just got hung up on the guy observing that Everett's not using any sugar and politely asking if he could have it, and further confused because my rudimentary understanding of wartime rationing was that it was okay to share whatever you weren't going to use with your neighbors. I mean, it's not like the restaurant's going to take all the unclaimed sugar allowances at the end of the day, pour them into an envelope, and mail them off to the front lines; the military already got its sugar, that's why there's rationing at home, right?

It seems like one of the rare Everett True beatdowns that's entirely arbitrary. It's not punishing rudeness (or cruelty to horses or children), it's not revenge for some past slight, and it's not patriotically defending the war effort. He's just hauling off and hitting a guy for the sake of hitting him, I think. (Now, if he was just going to punch a guy for eating grapefruit, I'd be okay with that. Because holy crap, grapefruit is TERRIBLE, there's no excuse for eating it when better citrus fruit is all over the goddamn place.)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Mike Nesmith got there first (about 35 years ago) ok maybe not first, but I'll take Mike over Brooke any day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGUU9JfB2DY

(I seem to recall there was an R, but the person who compiled this video left it out.)

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 8, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Pepper turkey! With Cajun mustard! What sort of culinary daredevil would risk ingesting such hellish heat?
Seriously how does he not know this poo poo about his wife after being married this long?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Trilobite posted:

It seems like one of the rare Everett True beatdowns that's entirely arbitrary. It's not punishing rudeness (or cruelty to horses or children), it's not revenge for some past slight, and it's not patriotically defending the war effort. He's just hauling off and hitting a guy for the sake of hitting him, I think. (Now, if he was just going to punch a guy for eating grapefruit, I'd be okay with that. Because holy crap, grapefruit is TERRIBLE, there's no excuse for eating it when better citrus fruit is all over the goddamn place.)

It's not like they had as much regular access to fruit back in the Olden Days. Grapefruit was considered a good, healthy breakfast food through at least the 70s -- you see it on menus all the time.

Shirec posted:

This comic is amazingly timeless, strip after strip. I need to buy a book of these

If you don't mind buying used, Jules Feiffer's America is pretty complete up till the 80s.

Fantagraphics was publishing a complete version of Feiffer's strips (in their original order and with publication dates included, which the other book lacks), but from what I can tell they've only released one volume (1956-1966).

Selachian fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 8, 2016

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

WickedHate posted:

This. I think Everett is doubly mad because the guy has ordered hot chocolate. Cocoa and chocolate were among those items that folks were supposed to voluntarily forgo because it was such a morale-booster for the troops to receive them. Plus hot cocoa required both sugar and canned milk to make it. So he thinks the guy is being self-indulgent as well as greedy and putting himself before the troops.

The mindset was kind of like "Out of the goodness of your heart, even if you can find it, deny yourselves the tinned and dried stuff we can send to our boys on the line. Eat fresh fruits and veggies instead, we can't transport those to the troops because they'd spoil."

Yeah I had ancient WWI relatives who told me stuff like this (and who would not countenance wasting ANY morsel of food or drink).

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Calaveron posted:

Hahah dang, Sally Forth, that's something you find out in the first couple of months of relationship, not well over a decade into a marriage.

With Hil at summer camp I think the point being made was that she was masking the depth of the problem :smith:

edit: Okay, so what the hell is happening in Sally Forth? on Ces's blog

csammis fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 8, 2016

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
First week of missed Ripley's.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

That's bullshit, even for Inspector Danger

No, that's one of the more together answers for a while. I got that straight off.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (July 16, 1951)

Barnaby (December 21, 1942)

Nancy (August 30, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (May 13, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (May 28, 1923)

Barney Google (May 29, 1922)

Alley Oop (August 28, 1933)

Lil' Abner (January 25, 1937)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Odonata posted:

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

I spent five minutes trying to incorporate the explosion panel from Funky Winkerbean into this.

god drat, it feels creepy to see someone unironically using the term "savages".

quote:

Andy Capp (click for big)

wow, I can live rent-free by beating up my landlord?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Parahexavoctal posted:

wow, I can live rent-free by beating up my landlord?

You'll get dragged off for a night in the cells occasionally, but conveniently they don't charge rent either.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way With The Willets (July 10, 1927)

"Oh no, our son was found unconscious in the street, lying next to a fire hydrant!"

"Wait a minute... he's clutching (a piece of the fire hydrant?) ! That little bastard!"

what?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

I like Don't-Give-a-poo poo CSI Guy.

Edge of Teddy Bears

So our hero is nice to sick children. That was definitely worth spending another week to establish.

I'm starting to suspect that Jam Esallen lays out his plots like he's directing a movie or a TV show, not writing a comic strip. He doesn't seem to realize that something that might take only a few minutes to do in a movie can take weeks or months of comic strips to play out. Why is he bothering to include the whole conversation with the sick kid who's got absolutely no relevance to the plot? You could do it in one panel: "Here you go, Bobby!" "Wow, thanks, Doc!"

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 8, 2016

• Locked thread