Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsHxkwcBImg

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
That sounds bloody awesome.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It's been a while since I've embraced the Dev. I think it's time again to embrace the Dev.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Which Terraria er I mean Terria song should I listen to again to try and get into it? Because that album was always a little 'meh' to me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just play the record.

At top volume.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/761424360330539008

HECK YA

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Allen Wren posted:

Just play the record.

At top volume.

Seconding this. If you don't feel it by the time the glass breaks in "Mountain", this album may not be for you.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ-9tnfPq9E

Here's the new song. The production is fantastic. The song kicks rear end. Getting hyped.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Song rules. Gonna see DTP live. Star Trek IV poo poo. Life is amazing. :dukedoge:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It's also on Spotify.

God drat this is a really nice song. It's got some nice atmosphere to it, kinda gloomy. I kinda felt he lost that vibe around Epicloud which was a bit too squeaky clean for me, glad it's back.
I love Ki and Causalities and the winding guitar in the middle totally gave me chills. HYYYYPEEEE.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
It's really nice! The production is ace and the drums sound fantastic. I don't love it straight away but its very strong and I know it'll click with me fairly quickly. It's interesting to hear a more atmospheric song as opposed to the metal-pop of the last albums. Based on this, Stars, Transdermal celebration I think this will be a very strong album. Also looking forward to the bonus tracks too because he tends to cut really killer stuff.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Allen Wren posted:

Just play the record.

At top volume.

Meh.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

You're doing it wrong

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Ranter posted:

Which Terraria er I mean Terria song should I listen to again to try and get into it? Because that album was always a little 'meh' to me.

Earth Day on a loop for 48 hours straight

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I never got into Terria for the most part but did develop prodromal schizophrenia and start booming OOOOLIIIIIIIIIVES and chanting TALKING MEAT repeatedly for several years

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Skip Olives. Imagine Terria opened with Earth Day. Go from there.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OOOOOOOOOOOLIVES

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Mountain is the best song on Terria. Canada is good too - he name drops John Denver.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Synchestra has a great opening: nice acoustic sound into a some arena prog rock into a jug band breakdown into more arena prog rock until after a few minutes it culminates in Steve Vai dropping a huge load on everything with some wank *solo*

Then there's some baby song that I've never actually listened to

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Ranter posted:

Terria never did much for me, but Earth Day is so goddamned loving epic, one of my all-time Devin tracks. Mountain is pretty cool too.

origami posted:

Synchestra has a great opening: nice acoustic sound into a some arena prog rock into a jug band breakdown into more arena prog rock until after a few minutes it culminates in Steve Vai dropping a huge load on everything with some wank *solo*

Then there's some baby song that I've never actually listened to

Yeah, Synchestra starts really strong, then it drops off in the middle. Then you get to Pixillate, another of my favorites, and it finishes strong.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Every day is Earth Day in the Devin thread.

Speaking of which, almost time for a new thread. Title suggestions if you please!

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Wow we just hit the 4 year anniversary of the thread a few days ago. Happy 4th Devin thread!

We've been through Epicloud, Casualties of Cool, Dark Matters, Sky Blue, and some amazing live albums.

Failure is really really REALLY good the more I digest it.

1:35ish to 2:15ish is exactly the type of stuff I was hoping this album would deliver on.

Can't WAIT.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I discovered Devin since this thread was opened... hell, I think I discovered him BECAUSE of this thread. Now he is my Desert Island artist.

Thanks, thread!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Once more around the sun.

Devin is clearly The Greatest Canadian.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEES?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Stoat posted:

Every day is Earth Day in the Devin thread.

Speaking of which, almost time for a new thread. Title suggestions if you please!
The Devin Townsend Megathread - It's just entertainment, folks.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The Devin Townsend Megathread: it's beef

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't wait for 9/21, gonna go see Devy in Columbus with a buddy of mine. Hoping he'll play from Ziltoid, Z2, or Addicted! because those are the albums I know best. I doubt it'll happen, but I'd love to hear something from Punky Bruster.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Transcendence Documentary - Episode One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdpg62tE_A0

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

It's oil

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

NonzeroCircle posted:

The Devin Townsend Megathread: Oh my god it's a cheeseburger.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Devin Townsend Thread: Bars Closed Boys! I'm an Artist!

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Devin Townsend: and music, well, it's just entertainment folks!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Devil Townsend: OLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIVVVVESSS

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

The New New Devin Townsend Thread: WE ARE ALL PUPPETS!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched "DTP Live at Royal Albert Hall" on youtube and the fact for the last song he brings out his son that is about the same age as my son makes me like Devin even more. I bet he would be an awesome dad.

This one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIaVY0eKlJA

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I was there for the Royal Albert show, it truly was special. So much love in such a huge space.

New track coming this Friday according to his Twitter. It's a this point when a new Devin album is imminent that I get really excited and constantly check Youtube for leaks or something. I just can't help myself...Failure is a pretty good song I guess, doesn't grab me as hard as others have but definitely solid and a little different from previous stuff so I can't wait to hear more.

Also, I really got into Ween since I found out he was covering one of their songs. Transdermal Celebration is a great track and perfect for him in that spacey kind of way.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hey thread what's your favourite dev lyric

I can't decide between "all the time I needed your approval to be me" or "WE PRAISE SATAN, HE LIVES INSIDE OF OUR HEARTS" I don't give a poopy nugget that it wasn't him singing that second one

e. "Motion personified alpha" is a nice sequence of words too

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

henpod posted:

Also, I really got into Ween since I found out he was covering one of their songs. Transdermal Celebration is a great track and perfect for him in that spacey kind of way.

Ween is a very deep, yet very rewarding rabbit hole to fall down. The weengoons can help with your devotions to Boognish: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3432174

sinking belle posted:

it's obviously not his favorite thing, but there's something so completely on about the simple phrase "I warned you" from Home Nucleonics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

sinking belle posted:

I can't decide between "all the time I needed your approval to be me" or "WE PRAISE SATAN, HE LIVES INSIDE OF OUR HEARTS" I don't give a poopy nugget that it wasn't him singing that second one

e. "Motion personified alpha" is a nice sequence of words too

"Eeeeeeaaaaattt your beeeeeeettttsss"

• Locked thread