Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Captain Yossarian posted:

Regarding the nexus 6 issue, it's bizarre- no other app combination does it, but the second I start Pokémon go I lose all cell connectivity. It will come back eventually (like 15 seconds or so). Why Pokémon GO specifically? Google maps doesn't do anything but if I so much as look at the Pokémon go app, it's like my cell antenna shuts off.. bizarre

Ingress and Fitbit were causing the same problem for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Regarding the nexus 6 issue, it's bizarre- no other app combination does it, but the second I start Pokémon go I lose all cell connectivity. It will come back eventually (like 15 seconds or so). Why Pokémon GO specifically? Google maps doesn't do anything but if I so much as look at the Pokémon go app, it's like my cell antenna shuts off.. bizarre
Happens for me on Waze and Google Maps, and it doesn't come back up at all.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not sure specifically what was causing it in my case, though I'd have to guess it was Weather Timeline because I don't think I had anything else active that was looking at my location.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

I think the SMS db is managed by Android no matter which app you use, no?

It is. It's a core service of the OS and is, in my mind, little different from Contacts.

SMS apps just interact with that db. Multiple can read, only one has permission to write.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Ok so 64 gb 6Ps are down to 419$ on Amazon now... Good price?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Keep waiting, the prices will bottom out once the new Nexii are released.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, I did the same thing last night. Not super thrilled about it but its nice having data working while GPS is zeroed in. :/

Welp. That lasted all of a few hours.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Welp. That lasted all of a few hours.
So cycling wifi on/off has worked for me. I don't know why. I've had wifi on and turning it off seems to allow LTE to come back when GPS is polled for the first time.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Weird. I was getting the bug constantly, then got the OTA to beta N and have literally not had an issue since. Must be some settings bug that can persist through OTA? But then why would switching to N fix it for anyone?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I know anecdote is not data, but I put my N6 on the N beta channel in June, and never had the GPS issue at all. So maybe it is something persisting through the OTA?

The only issue I've had with the N preview is that in round four, LightFlow interacts VERY badly with something and lags the phone to death. Uninstalling that fixed everything.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Alarbus posted:

I know anecdote is not data, but I put my N6 on the N beta channel in June, and never had the GPS issue at all. So maybe it is something persisting through the OTA?

The only issue I've had with the N preview is that in round four, LightFlow interacts VERY badly with something and lags the phone to death. Uninstalling that fixed everything.

Are you using light flow legacy like you should be? I've had no issues

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
There must have been an update for N overnight as I'm not running pokemans or maps that often and it's causing my poo poo to break. Also had a strange one this morning when my battery drained in about an hour. A restart and a charge hasn't repeated it. Thanks for reading my ramble, namaste.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Are you using light flow legacy like you should be? I've had no issues

No, the regular LightFlow worked fine up until this point. They're pretty good about it, so I'm not all that worried.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Android 5.1, Moto X 2nd Gen, AT&T. Not rooted.

My phone has started receiving a "Message Not Downloaded" error and it continues to block a SINGLE PERSON'S contribution to a group message thread. We're able to text one-on-one, but it's been over a day, a cache clear, and a reboot and anything he sends in a group chat doesn't get downloaded by my phone.

Is there anything I can do short of factory reset?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
My N6P's frequent, but not constant, refusal to activate (T-Mo) Wi-Fi calling when I re-connect to my home network until I reboot it is driving me nuts, since I have to rely on it for being able to make calls at my new apartment where I get very weak cellular signal indoors. I haven't been able to find any solutions through searching, but has anyone else experienced similar or have any suggestions?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

$399 on Newegg until tomorrow night

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Played with the Note 7 in BestBuy today.

I really like the curved display.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I've got a Note 7 and the curve is much nicer in the hand than the S7 edge was, you're definitely right.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

I've got a Note 7 and the curve is much nicer in the hand than the S7 edge was, you're definitely right.

I'm our corporate preorder list, I can't wait, hopefully will get it pretty soon

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

For a crazy expensive phone like a note 7 do people generally get some kinda extra warranty on it? Usually I think warranties are a poor deal but I dunno about a phone more expensive than my laptop.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

For a crazy expensive phone like a note 7 do people generally get some kinda extra warranty on it? Usually I think warranties are a poor deal but I dunno about a phone more expensive than my laptop.

My work plan has some kinda of mega corporate warranty :shrug: Like if the slightest thing is wrong I get a replacement haha

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I just saw that the Note 7 was announced and has a release date for later this month. The last Samsung device of any kind that I owned was a Note 3 and I came to the conclusion that it was hot garbage and went back to using an iPhone. I currently have an iPhone 6S Plus, and it "Just Works" and I don't really seem to have any issues from it aside from occasionally running into weird connectivity issues that an Airplane Mode toggle always fixes. I liked the stylus features on the Note 3 and it seems to have been vastly improved on the Note 7 I played with at Best Buy and I really like the blue/gold color scheme on the one I was looking at.

Are there any reasons, other than having a stylus and a slightly larger screen, that I should consider regarding a switch? I've used a few other Android phones since then, namely the LG G3 and the Nexus 6, and I liked the Nexus 6 more than the G3. I'm mainly just looking at alternatives since it seems like Apple is going to delete the 3.5 mini jack on the next iPhone, and I still use regular wired headphones.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Variable_H posted:

I just saw that the Note 7 was announced and has a release date for later this month. The last Samsung device of any kind that I owned was a Note 3 and I came to the conclusion that it was hot garbage and went back to using an iPhone. I currently have an iPhone 6S Plus, and it "Just Works" and I don't really seem to have any issues from it aside from occasionally running into weird connectivity issues that an Airplane Mode toggle always fixes. I liked the stylus features on the Note 3 and it seems to have been vastly improved on the Note 7 I played with at Best Buy and I really like the blue/gold color scheme on the one I was looking at.

Are there any reasons, other than having a stylus and a slightly larger screen, that I should consider regarding a switch? I've used a few other Android phones since then, namely the LG G3 and the Nexus 6, and I liked the Nexus 6 more than the G3. I'm mainly just looking at alternatives since it seems like Apple is going to delete the 3.5 mini jack on the next iPhone, and I still use regular wired headphones.

As someone who liked the Note 3 enough to get the Note 4, I'd say that given your post, stick with the iPhone.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

So i am giving up on WP and want to come back to android, had a bit of a look around with current handsets and it looks like everyone is releasing new phones and android N is out soon.

I don't have too much to throw at a new handset (around 700AUD, i only want to buy the phone outright) and have been eyeing off a nexus 6p, but the ZTE axon 7 looks good as well, anyone had any experience with these phones and general options on them or other suggestions?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Nexus 6p is the best phone I've ever had. I've had a phone since 1995, and the 6p is the only phone I've ever been satisfied with in such a way that I'm not always looking for what's next or what might be better.

That said, I expect a new Nexus in the next month or two, and I would look hard at the 6p successor if you have the luxury of having a month or two to wait.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

photomikey posted:

Nexus 6p is the best phone I've ever had. I've had a phone since 1995, and the 6p is the only phone I've ever been satisfied with in such a way that I'm not always looking for what's next or what might be better.

That said, I expect a new Nexus in the next month or two, and I would look hard at the 6p successor if you have the luxury of having a month or two to wait.

Same. Every phone for me before was "good enough" but the Nexus 6p in my mind crossed over to "actually great". The only thing I miss is the video output which was fun for parties or business trips.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm our corporate preorder list, I can't wait, hopefully will get it pretty soon

You'll likely enjoy it if you've used a Note before. I've already dropped mine in water like an idiot. I still use the pen mostly as a Stylus... but one day I'll find myself a use for it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to use voice control for reminders but without using the Google Now Cards? I just want to tell my phone to set a reminder but for whatever reason it insists on not using Google Keep to do it. I much prefer Keep for my reminders. Thank you!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Quick question:

Just got myself a Samsung Galaxy S7. It's awful pretty. I put in the SD card which was in my Sony Xperia which has all my music on it.

The Galaxy can't seem to read the card. When I plug in my phone and explore it on my PC, it comes up blank, even though it registers that <X> amount of space has been used.

Solutions?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

H13 posted:

Quick question:

Just got myself a Samsung Galaxy S7. It's awful pretty. I put in the SD card which was in my Sony Xperia which has all my music on it.

The Galaxy can't seem to read the card. When I plug in my phone and explore it on my PC, it comes up blank, even though it registers that <X> amount of space has been used.

Solutions?

Did you try formatting the card SD card for the S7?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Did you try formatting the card SD card for the S7?

This will likely erase anything on the card, fair warning.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Ugh.. Amazon too. I don't want to be patient :argh:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The Photos app on my wife's Nexus 5X doesn't see/display device folders beyond a couple exceptions (like Instagram and one other), and even those exceptions don't show current photos. What else can I do beyond clearing the app data to try and get everything to show up? Screenshots, downloaded photos, and several other photo generating apps just don't show up for her in Photos>Device Folders. All of that shows up for me on my 6P just fine. Hoping to avoid a factory reset, but if that's the only other suggestion so be it.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

sirbeefalot posted:

The Photos app on my wife's Nexus 5X doesn't see/display device folders beyond a couple exceptions (like Instagram and one other), and even those exceptions don't show current photos. What else can I do beyond clearing the app data to try and get everything to show up? Screenshots, downloaded photos, and several other photo generating apps just don't show up for her in Photos>Device Folders. All of that shows up for me on my 6P just fine. Hoping to avoid a factory reset, but if that's the only other suggestion so be it.

Has Photos had it's storage permissions denied?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
.nomedia file in the folder??

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Endless Mike posted:

No no, USING Cricket is not what I'm asking. I'm asking why he cares whether they carry a phone that will presumably be unlocked from the manufacturer for the same price. I *suppose* there's some benefit in that they might handle warranty stuff, but I feel like that's expecting too much from a prepaid carrier.

I'm not sure if they have financing options, but that's mostly what I meant. If I could get the new Nexus phone for $10 a month instead of all up-front, that'd be nice.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TenaciousTomato posted:

I'm not sure if they have financing options, but that's mostly what I meant. If I could get the new Nexus phone for $10 a month instead of all up-front, that'd be nice.

You can do this with Google Fi service fyi

nimper fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 8, 2016

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Rusty! posted:

Has Photos had it's storage permissions denied?

Preeeetty sure I checked this and the toggle for Storage was on in Permissions, but I'll look once more when we're home tonight.

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

.nomedia file in the folder??

I did not look for this, though that would be odd if apps on her phone added those and mine didn't. We essentially use the same setup/apps besides the hardware difference. I'll look tonight.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

nimper posted:

You can do this with Google Fi service fyi

Thanks. I'll probably switch over once the new devices come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Is there any way to use voice control for reminders but without using the Google Now Cards? I just want to tell my phone to set a reminder but for whatever reason it insists on not using Google Keep to do it. I much prefer Keep for my reminders. Thank you!

Reminders are the same across all Google services. A Keep reminder is a Now reminder is a Calendar reminder. Once one is created it should appear in all of them.