Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Captain Duvel posted:

Westbrook key lime gose is on point. gently caress that's good. Needs to be year round.

Finally got hooked up with some of this the other day. Haven't gotten around to it yet, though, but I'm sure I will this weekend.
I'm thankful I'm starting to build up a nice backlog of stuff.
Gose-wise I've gotten my hands on Beachmania [e: how do i keep messing this name up] and Atlantis Gose and I'm ready to try those at a local bottle share soon.

graybook fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

funkybottoms posted:

also, dood, we brewed a dry, hazy, 5% pale ale with wheat, oats, and rakau today, so remember to check that out in a couple weeks!

I'm starting to feel like I'm too predictable.

Had a can of Tired Hands Strawberry Milkshake IPA and... I dunno, guys. It's really sweet, really creamy and rich. It's cool that they executed it so successfully, but I really don't think I'm a fan. I liked the Kalamansi Milkshake though, so I think some of the less-sweet fruit Milkshakes would be more up my alley.

Also my friend got a bottle of Rustic Pentagram somehow, so I get to dig into that Saturday night. I'm excited.

edit: Opened a can of Gatherer while taking in the first episode of Stranger Things (which is excellent so far), and it's not nearly as herbal as I might've feared. Very smooth, with a subtle rich honey finish. Really, really nice.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 5, 2016

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

poop dood posted:

Had a can of Tired Hands Strawberry Milkshake IPA and... I dunno, guys. It's really sweet, really creamy and rich. It's cool that they executed it so successfully, but I really don't think I'm a fan.

Congratulations! You don't have the palate of a 5 year old. :toot:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I'm not sure if something happened to give UK brewers an epiphany, but this is the third time I've had a Rye Pale this month that I've really enjoyed.

The super pretty labels for LCB certainly don't hurt :allears:

Apache
May 11, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think it would be better with it and am disappointed that I drank mine fresh.

How was it fresh? I'was planning to drink mine this weekend along with the Decoherence. If the funkiness of the Brett might improve the beer I'll put it back into my cellaring fridge.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Is anyone else going to Ommegang for their Belgium Comes to Cooperstown festival tomorrow? 113 breweries, though most of them look pretty small. Full list here: http://www.ommegang.com/blog/belgium-comes-to-cooperstown-2016-breweries-and-beers/

I'm going up with a few friends and looking forward to drinking too much.

How do you typically keep track of beers at an event of this size? I know we are aiming at a few specific breweries as "must tries," but beyond that, does anyone typically keep a written list or lean towards Untappd or just memory?

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Day off today with the girlfriend, sounds like a trip to Tired Hands is in order. Haven't been there in a long time.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Is anyone else going to Ommegang for their Belgium Comes to Cooperstown festival tomorrow? 113 breweries, though most of them look pretty small. Full list here: http://www.ommegang.com/blog/belgium-comes-to-cooperstown-2016-breweries-and-beers/

I'm going up with a few friends and looking forward to drinking too much.

How do you typically keep track of beers at an event of this size? I know we are aiming at a few specific breweries as "must tries," but beyond that, does anyone typically keep a written list or lean towards Untappd or just memory?

My methodology usually goes "There's 5 things I must try," and then just grab random things after that. The hope is that I remember 5-10 things I had by the end.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Apache posted:

How was it fresh? I'was planning to drink mine this weekend along with the Decoherence. If the funkiness of the Brett might improve the beer I'll put it back into my cellaring fridge.

Pretty much just like their berliner, Stifung, but with a ton of grapefruit and could use a bit of funk and more dryness.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

danbanana posted:

My methodology usually goes "There's 5 things I must try," and then just grab random things after that. The hope is that I remember 5-10 things I had by the end.

This is the best plan. I had a list of like 15 things I had to try at my last fest and after the random grabs were factored in, I didn't survive.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm really glad that Brewvival had a checklist of stuff to make tracking easier, though that's still subject to "oh we're not putting this on until a couple hours from now" and "we don't have this (and so we're replacing it with this other thing)".

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest is out and it's really good, per usual. I think I remember it being better last year but who knows, could be memories. It's still really good though.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Starting last year they started doing a collaboration with a different German brewery every year so the recipe changes year to year. This years is really good, I have a keg of it and I'm going through it dangerously fast.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Drinking a Prairie Apple Brandy Noir and goddamn why haven't I had this before? Chocolate, brandy sweetness and a little bit of caramel. A+++ would drink again.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

poop dood posted:

edit: Opened a can of Gatherer while taking in the first episode of Stranger Things (which is excellent so far), and it's not nearly as herbal as I might've feared. Very smooth, with a subtle rich honey finish. Really, really nice.

My Stranger Things beers of choice for today are Little Citra and The Oracle. Little Citra is very drinkable and another hit for pipeworks. The Oracle is good and has a distinctive DIPA fullness I enjoy but going through the full sixer is going to end up being a chore.

Also, this show rules. Starting the finale now.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

The Hop and Vine is coming back minus the bottle shop!

http://www.pdxmonthly.com/articles/2016/7/28/backyard-social-opening-in-old-hop-vine-space

Also, Lagunitas is opening a non-profit event and community space in Portland, which is cool but seems kind of strange.

http://www.newschoolbeer.com/2016/08/preview-of-the-lagunitas-brewing-community-room-in-portland.html

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

The Hop and Vine is coming back minus the bottle shop!

http://www.pdxmonthly.com/articles/2016/7/28/backyard-social-opening-in-old-hop-vine-space

Also, Lagunitas is opening a non-profit event and community space in Portland, which is cool but seems kind of strange.

http://www.newschoolbeer.com/2016/08/preview-of-the-lagunitas-brewing-community-room-in-portland.html

Aww I was excited since the lagunitas thing is like 6 blocks from my apartment. I guess it's cool that it's a non profit thing though

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Untappd is ok on the spot if you're by yourself or with others using it, otherwise you look like an anti-social dweeb.

I'm also in the camp of "remember what you can" and if there is something surprising that stands out, well, it stood out.

I then try to check stuff in on untappd after the fact so I'll actually have some sort of record of what I have had.

Edit:

Thanks for the frank comments re brewdog. It's really interesting seeing what the opinion is where they're trying to break into.

It'll be interesting seeing them sell IPA to the Americans.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Thanks all! I'll be with a group for the most part so we will probably use Untappd for the first few but we will see how long that lasts.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Hi beer thread. I found something nice today.

:getin:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

They literally only just retired the Sublimely Self Righteous. What is even going on anymore

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiho posted:

They literally only just retired the Sublimely Self Righteous. What is even going on anymore

Marketing.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kaiho posted:

I didn't even know that, but hey, I tried one and it was great.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
At the Veil trying out Savage, an all-Brett wine barrel fermented 2.7% table beer. It's fantastic. Very refreshing, real dry. Finishes with a pleasantly Pine-Sol oak/lemon flavor. I'm definitely looking forward to more funky stuff from them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hooray I found a place that does reasonable growler fills but it's still $8-10 for a 64 which doesn't quite beat out a six pack.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hooray I found a place that does reasonable growler fills but it's still $8-10 for a 64 which doesn't quite beat out a six pack.

I know those are new to FL, but you'll never find fills for cheaper than a sixer. $8-$10 is dream pricing for Illinois (though only breweries are allowed to fill).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

I know those are new to FL, but you'll never find fills for cheaper than a sixer. $8-$10 is dream pricing for Illinois (though only breweries are allowed to fill).

Ah good to know, and this is at a liquor store that seems to have just started doing it because they're advertising some crazy specials and had BCBS on the other day for fills.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

danbanana posted:

Growler fills were like $10 like two years ago here. Now I can't find anything cheaper than $13

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Growler fills were like $10 like two years ago here. Now I can't find anything cheaper than $13

You can usually score $10 fills if you pay attention to when places have cheap fill days, usually Sundays and Wednesdays. And there's always Alameda with their $5 fills!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bangers in Austin has their 4th anniversary party going all weekend and they decided to tap every bourbon county variant that we get in Texas (except Rare) plus a bunch of other big rear end stouts/barleywines in the peak of Texas summer. Their menu also had a bunch of interesting local one off beers, plus some random experimental sour recipes. Community had their Mosaic IPA with coffee and that was just a total disaster. Highlights were this opaque apricot sour from Austin Beerworks (identical to taking a bite out of apricot) and St. Arnold Raspberry Brett Boiler Room. Had a pour of Regal Rye as well that tasted fine.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i'm legit feeling a little sick thinking of having to drink a mosaic and coffee IPA

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I've had a few coffee IPAs and I legitimately like them. They can be done well.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Regarding the sediment at the bottom of sours: would flipping the bottle create another wave of fermentation while aging, or is everything at the bottom of the bottle completely done?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Terminal Entropy posted:

Regarding the sediment at the bottom of sours: would flipping the bottle create another wave of fermentation while aging, or is everything at the bottom of the bottle completely done?

If there is live yeast in the bottle, they will ferment until either they die or run out of fermentable sugars (and then die). Flipping them won't do anything. The only way you can control what they donisnwith temperature and light exposure, but mainly temperature.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Apache posted:

So have any great spots opened in the last couple years in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area? Taking a 3 day weekend up there in a couple of weeks. Don't think I'll have time for Richmond, unfortunately.

I've been to Coelocanth a few times (unlike the rest of the team) and their beers are pretty solid albeit not especially different, if that makes any sense. Lots of straightforward lagers, milds, some IPAs and light stouts. Good for friends but not exceptional beer culture. I concur with everyone else about the different breweries, Pleasure House is interesting though due to the sheer variety of stuff that they can put out as a nano. Always different/interesting. Bottlebox is the best Norfolk stop for packaged beer/growler/crowler fills, but Exception(Ale) is also decent (and literally around the corner). The Birch still remains supreme here for beer selection, but downtown has the Norfolk Tap Room which has a good, mostly local selection, with the Brick Anchor Brewhouse across the street, also with a decent selection. Also, don't waste time with Bold Mariner or Rip Rap brewing, BM is ok but kind of out of the way, and I've heard nothing positive about Rip Rap.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
This looks fun

http://beerstreetjournal.com/off-color-brewing-collaborates-miller-high-life/

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Long shot, maybe, but has anyone been to Exhibit A(le) in GA? I'm gonna be out that way in a couple weeks and saw it on a shop list. If so, what's it like?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I've had a few coffee IPAs and I legitimately like them. They can be done well.

As strange coffee related things go, this is delicious. There's a chance it's the most hipster thing possible.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Found a Black Xantus and drank the poo poo out of it. That is a great stout. I also found Sierra Nevada's Fall Pack. Hoppy Wheat is delicious at only a week old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Still looking for a confirmed source on this: someone pointed out that there are Cigar City cans that say brewed at Oskar Blues in Austin, TX :pusheen: