Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
THE ABOVE POST IS A MASSIVE SPOILER AND SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS, unless you enjoy that kind of thing.

It just seems way too big to have spoiled on a forum. Hopefully the anime will deal with it in some way or another in the future, so let's not just squander it here. :(

Edit: Oh great, a new page, so this is worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a kitten posted:

Maybe discuss the novels somewhere else or not at all.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

darkgray posted:

THE ABOVE POST IS A MASSIVE SPOILER AND SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS, unless you enjoy that kind of thing.

It just seems way too big to have spoiled on a forum. Hopefully the anime will deal with it in some way or another in the future, so let's not just squander it here. :(

Edit: Oh great, a new page, so this is worthless.

Dunno, I asked why the hell something like that would be cut and apparently it hasn't been brought up again as far as the WN goes (only mentioned in a sidestory regarding Al's backstory, I think). So however big it seems, it's apparently just not relevant to the plot for the next several arcs. I'll add warning signs to it anyway.

a kitten posted:

Maybe discuss the novels somewhere else or not at all.

This is from the manga.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Please enjoy this cute silly song that doesn't contain pointless spoilers that no one asked for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGnCzVaGBtE

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is from the manga.

Oh well then it's fine

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is from the manga.

I'm reading the manga stuff from the third arc, and Al recognizes the "-tan" Subaru uses when referring to Emilia. Can't remember if that was in the anime or not, since it would have been easy to miss.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Dragon and Rem love rival staredown was great too.

If only Subaru had more hands to head pat with, such tragic conflict could be avoided.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Spoilers: Subaru dies, Emilia Rem someone cries.

wait I think I have that backwards...

BEHOLD THE MYSTERIOUS POWER OF WIFI!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
WiFi? You know one of these otherworld fantasy RPG shows are going to use that at some point. Probably another successful hero in Konosuba who asked for a smartphone with a YouTube playlist full of gold farming, quest, and boss guides.

What is this genre called anyway? Lost in a game style world is nearly long enough to be a LN title.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Verizian posted:

WiFi? You know one of these otherworld fantasy RPG shows are going to use that at some point. Probably another successful hero in Konosuba who asked for a smartphone with a YouTube playlist full of gold farming, quest, and boss guides.

What is this genre called anyway? Lost in a game style world is nearly long enough to be a LN title.

"Isekai"

And...

異世界はスマートフォンとともに (Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomoni)
In a Different World with a Smartphone

Description

Oh no, the MC is accidentally killed by a god. Because of the mistake, the MC starts a second life in a parallel world. God revives his body and he is allowed to take and use his smartphone. He comes across various people while making important comrades and before the MC is aware of it, he has discovered this world’s secret. He inherits the legacy of an ancient civilization and he goes around the world nonchalantly while having power that matches that of the god in this world.

ED: gently caress japan

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 8, 2016

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Conspiratiorist posted:

"Dense Male Lead", "Protagonist Strong from the Start", and "Polygamy" are some of the tags on NovelUpdates.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is that Kirigiri from Dangan Ronpa in the bottom left

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
(spoilers, obv) 2ch deciphered the tree carvings:

It says "Flugel was here" ....in Japanese. With Flugel in Katakana, which is obviously not a Japanese name.

DOUBLE SPOILERS

And the carvings kind of look similar to Subaru's handwriting. Time travel/reincarnation plot confirmed? More likely deliberately loving with the viewer, though.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 8, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

It says "Flugel was here" ....in Japanese. With Flugel in Katakana, which is obviously not a Japanese name.

DOUBLE SPOILERS

And the carvings kind of look similar to Subaru's handwriting. Time travel/reincarnation plot confirmed? More likely deliberately loving with the viewer, though.

I don't think the handwriting is similar enough to Subaru's to mean anything. It's interesting that Flugel was apparently another person from Japan, though (also lol at how it's always Japanese people who are imported into parallel worlds).

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

No Game No Life crossover confirmed.

Edit: Based on my recent experiences, I would advise against googling this name.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

a kitten posted:

Please enjoy this cute silly song that doesn't contain pointless spoilers that no one asked for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGnCzVaGBtE

Please don't feed my Rem obsession like this. It even throws tsuki-des into alternating ears when you have headphones on, it's too much :kimchi:.

Conspiratiorist posted:

"Isekai"

And...

Description

Oh no, the MC is accidentally killed by a god. Because of the mistake, the MC starts a second life in a parallel world. God revives his body and he is allowed to take and use his smartphone. He comes across various people while making important comrades and before the MC is aware of it, he has discovered this world’s secret. He inherits the legacy of an ancient civilization and he goes around the world nonchalantly while having power that matches that of the god in this world.

ED: gently caress japan

Man, Subaru really got the worst deal when other people get to be overpowered harem-builders or take a goddess into a fantasy world to help them. It's refreshing to see a take on the genre that has him dealt such a bad hand, where the only power he has that's really useful in this world is to suffer and die over and over again.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Honestly Re:Zero is so good that I think it balances out the fact that there's a lot of "fun" wish fulfillment schlock.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, people seriously weren't engaged by episode 18?

Soulless automatons, shambling among us in human skins. Begone, foul creatures. The cuteness of Rem compels you.

e: Is it bad that I don't understand the appeal of speculah in a series where the answers and speculation have already been given out? Like, when Madoka was running, speculah was huge and literally impossible to determine what was going to happen until it happened. With ReZero being an adaptation, with translated works/spoilers far in advance of the show, it seems kind of silly and stupid to seriously dedicate time speculating at length about plot elements when the answers are there. Maybe I'm just dumb and autistic, but I feel like I want to wait until I'm "caught up" with everything before diving into the world of "dumb anime fan thinks too much about anime" speculation.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 8, 2016

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Honestly Re:Zero is so good that I think it balances out the fact that there's a lot of "fun" wish fulfillment schlock.

I'm still trying who wins in being even worse, japanese web novels or chinese web novels. On the japanese hand, slavery, harem, rpg mechanics and a tendency to blow any sense of tension before the 1st volume is over. On the chinese hand, it's like a reading the transcript of someone who read the guide in an mmo and is basically powerleveling his way towards everything, everyone against the protagonist is EVUL, the word "tamed the women" comes up alot, oh and more money and loyalty than god. This combined with the fact that reading the chinese web novels feels like seeing a psychopath using thinly veiled reasons to bully and dominate everyone else, easy to do when everyone acts like a bumbling idiot. I guess if I have to put my foot down, I'm going to have to go with the chinese web novels as more awful. The aforementioned stuff aside, by definition there is no tension or twist, just a lonely nerd getting off on his power fantasy. At least with the other japanese web novels that I Iiked, then went several degrees of awful, had at least a sense of comfy slice of life and hopeful optimism before the author decided to not bother with things like conflict/tension/themes/mood. The chinese novels on the other hand are so cynical and smug about their own superiority that often my enjoyment of ISSTH comes from seeing the MC con the hell out of these blowhards who in any other novel would have been praised and showered with worldly love.

I guess I can say that a pretty good chunk of my enjoyment of Re:Zero, aside from being a drat good anime, is having a guy get shut down for his flaws over and over and over again. All his victories and failures are the result of his choices and who he tries to recruit to solve the problem. There's no "but in my past life I've been so abused sob sob feel for me", there's "I've wasted my entire life doing absolutely nothing." Though in a way, I kind of have to thank these trashy novels, it actually made me look into my own schlocky novel I made for myself and myself only, and start considering learning to get good at writing.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 8, 2016

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I think there's far too much bashing on Subaru. He's not a perfect being but most of the bad situations and outcomes he gets in the story are circumstantial rather than a karmic consequence for his actions. His only real significant fuckups have been in the first two arcs thinking for the most part he could solve things on his own (asking for Reinhard's help would've made things go much more smoothly arc 1, and in arc 2 he tried asking for help only after getting emotionally crushed), and the fool he made out of himself in the selection by running his mouth and then dueling Julius (which led to Emilia returning to the mansion on her own).

Although he could've learned much more of the situation in the first go from traveling with Rem if they had trusted each other more, and perhaps skip being catatonic out of guilt for the 2nd loop, he really couldn't have negotiated assistance from Crusch and Anastasia in his first two attempts at doing so, and it's really difficult to condemn his actions on the third loop if you're a human being with a decent capacity for empathy.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That guy riding the thingie bothered me because he presented the same problem that Goofy does with Pluto

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Argue posted:

That guy riding the thingie bothered me because he presented the same problem that Goofy does with Pluto

Monkey and Man, Giant Beast man and dogs.

rvm
May 6, 2013
So, according to this episode Rem's status is a pet lol.

Also, Fugel (the dude who sealed the Witch) was from Earth.

Next Episode Preview

rvm fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 8, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is from the manga.
The manga based off the novel which includes additional information you've no idea whether or not the anime plans to incorporate yet, or how.

Come on dude, show some common courtesy.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

e: Is it bad that I don't understand the appeal of speculah in a series where the answers and speculation have already been given out? Like, when Madoka was running, speculah was huge and literally impossible to determine what was going to happen until it happened. With ReZero being an adaptation, with translated works/spoilers far in advance of the show, it seems kind of silly and stupid to seriously dedicate time speculating at length about plot elements when the answers are there. Maybe I'm just dumb and autistic, but I feel like I want to wait until I'm "caught up" with everything before diving into the world of "dumb anime fan thinks too much about anime" speculation.

The world is full of people speculating about their favorite show based on source material they've never seen/read. See: Game of Thrones. It's an entirely human thing to do.

With a series like Rezero, where the only meaningful answers available are dependent on being either fluent in Japanese or reading vague second or third hand spoilers from those who claim to be, it's even more understandable because that's an unbridgeable knowledge gap for most people. Even when information is available it's not much fun being told what happens instead of experiencing it for yourself.

And even setting all of that aside, even the webnovel, by most accounts, is like half-finished, so the field is pretty much wide-open for speculating on the bigger themes/resolution of the series.

In any case, I remain hopeful for a second season, if only because the show is doing well and the series is apparently popular enough to support poo poo like three concurrent manga adaptions drawn by different artists, or a fast selling LN series that already has a bunch of published sidestory books even though it's only 8-9 story volumes in.

madmac fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 8, 2016

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

NowonSA posted:

Please don't feed my Rem obsession like this. It even throws tsuki-des into alternating ears when you have headphones on, it's too much :kimchi:.

Man, Subaru really got the worst deal when other people get to be overpowered harem-builders or take a goddess into a fantasy world to help them. It's refreshing to see a take on the genre that has him dealt such a bad hand, where the only power he has that's really useful in this world is to suffer and die over and over again.

I think Kazuma in Konosuba got a pretty raw deal on the whole goddess thing but then again this show and Konosuba have actually been LN adaptations I can stand the pandering towards a demographic I'm not a part of.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

The manga based off the novel which includes additional information you've no idea whether or not the anime plans to incorporate yet, or how.

Come on dude, show some common courtesy.

what's the av from seafood

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The only spoilers I prefer are the ones that cover plot which has been left out of the anime. Finding out about a dude from another world completely changes some of the dynamics of the story.

I'm all about adhering to the author's original vision, especially after watching what happened to the Maze Runner series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Eh, given that the original work is a web novel it could probably benefit from some editing while being adapted. I don't have a problem with them changing things in and of itself, though I would rather they not leave things out just because they don't expect to animate past this season.

madmac posted:

In any case, I remain hopeful for a second season, if only because the show is doing well and the series is apparently popular enough to support poo poo like three concurrent manga adaptions drawn by different artists, or a fast selling LN series that already has a bunch of published sidestory books even though it's only 8-9 story volumes in.

While I really hope you're right, it's important to remember that the anime's main job is selling the LNs, and one season is enough to accomplish that goal (more seasons would just have diminishing returns in terms of increasing LN sales, or the sales of some other merchandise like figurines). It seems like the anime itself needs to be adequately profitable for them to make a second season.

I really hope they do, because I've been experimenting with reading the web novel recently and I've found that, while I can almost always tell what is generally happening, a lot of the tone is lost on me and I have trouble parsing all the parts where Subaru is thinking to himself and feeling various emotions (which happens a lot). Like, I'm fine if it's saying "Subaru went to X and did Y" but it's hard to translate the parts where it's giving some fanciful description of how stressed out or depressed Subaru is (for example, you'll have some syntax that directly translates to something like "Subaru's eyes that are expressing the feeling of having lost something important stared at Rem"; it seems like Japanese frequently attaches some absurdly long clauses to nouns).

Raenir Salazar posted:

The only real wish fulfillment aspects seem to be 1. the fact that he's surrounded by attractive women (and this would be fine as long as they don't all end up romantically interested in him) and 2. he's capable of being absurdly brave and having his crazy plans work out more often than not (which is kind of unpreventable given he's the protagonist). Regarding the former, I'm really really hoping that they stick to just Emilia and Rem being romantic interests. I'm optimistic given that Felt x Reinhard seems to be a thing and some of the other women already seem more or less paired up (like Priscilla and Al). I find that 2 love interests seems to be the "sweet spot" where it's still wish fulfillment but not to the extent it prevents me from enjoying the story.

That being said, I am expecting him to acquire some ability to fight at some point in the (probably distant) future, though hopefully it'll just put him on the level of some his peers rather than making him a Reinhard-esque figure. Maybe something that leverages the witch power hanging around him, like Betelgeuse's unseen hands.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 8, 2016

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Are they still translating Kensei as "Master Swordsman"?

Now the connection has been revealed, I can finally state my disappointment that the translation doesn't really seem to catch the contrast of Kensei and Kenki, since in Japanese it's 剣聖 and 剣鬼 as in "Sword+Saint/Holy" and "Sword+Demon". They're also kind of uniquely given titles, not just a rank or whatever.

Not saying it's wrong, mind you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Are they still translating Kensei as "Master Swordsman"?

Now the connection has been revealed, I can finally state my disappointment that the translation doesn't really seem to catch the contrast of Kensei and Kenki, since in Japanese it's 剣聖 and 剣鬼 as in "Sword+Saint/Holy" and "Sword+Demon". They're also kind of uniquely given titles, not just a rank or whatever.

Not saying it's wrong, mind you.

When does it mention Kenki?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

When does it mention Kenki?

Hm? It's how Wilhelm is kind of introduced in ep 12, when Felix is talking to him in the dragon carriage on their way back.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Ytlaya posted:

I really hope they do, because I've been experimenting with reading the web novel recently and I've found that, while I can almost always tell what is generally happening, a lot of the tone is lost on me and I have trouble parsing all the parts where Subaru is thinking to himself and feeling various emotions (which happens a lot). Like, I'm fine if it's saying "Subaru went to X and did Y" but it's hard to translate the parts where it's giving some fanciful description of how stressed out or depressed Subaru is (for example, you'll have some syntax that directly translates to something like "Subaru's eyes that are expressing the feeling of having lost something important stared at Rem"; it seems like Japanese frequently attaches some absurdly long clauses to nouns).

It's not Japanese writing conventions, so much as the author just not condensing overly-wordy prose. Lots of bad writing habits in the WN irked me, so I decided to stick with the anime. I've read fanfiction in Japanese written by teens that's less purple. I appreciate things getting streamlined so much for the anime adaptation, since it seems they're only showing what really needs to be shown, along with what gives the characters the most life.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

How Ingratiating! posted:

It's not Japanese writing conventions, so much as the author just not condensing overly-wordy prose. Lots of bad writing habits in the WN irked me, so I decided to stick with the anime. I've read fanfiction in Japanese written by teens that's less purple. I appreciate things getting streamlined so much for the anime adaptation, since it seems they're only showing what really needs to be shown, along with what gives the characters the most life.

Please read Arifureta. You'll love the prose.

Speaking of not condensing, I'm (hopefully) almost through arc 4 of the web novel, and this thing must be at least twice as long as it has any right to be. There's so much inner monologue psychological stuff going on that it seems as impossible to adapt visually as the Monogatari series, though. Wonder if the nature of the content made them give up on a second season.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I think that it's probably possibly to adapt most introspective-ish stuff, even if you have to make it less explicit. During the conversation between Subaru and Rem, for example, in the WN it mentioned Subaru thinking about how Rem (or he) might die if he tries to explain things, and in the anime they show him shaking his head in a way that directly implies that he can't bring himself to risk doing so, and the viewer can infer why. In the worst case scenario, you can always just have Subaru think "outloud" and/or show visuals in the background that detail what he's thinking about.

darkgray posted:

Hm? It's how Wilhelm is kind of introduced in ep 12, when Felix is talking to him in the dragon carriage on their way back.

Ah, I forgot about that. Did they call him "Kenki" or translate it to "sword demon"? It's possible I just interpreted it as "he's a demon with a sword" when it was first mentioned, rather than being some sort of title.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 8, 2016

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I forgot about that. Did they call him "Kenki" or translate it to "sword demon"? It's possible I just interpreted it as "he's a demon with a sword" when it was first mentioned, rather than being some sort of title.

I don't watch it subbed, so I don't really know how they translate things, but I believe they used "sword demon" for Kenki at CR.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

darkgray posted:

Please read Arifureta. You'll love the prose.

Good lord. :stonk: At least the author is honest in the foreword.

My favorite isekai/portal fantasy stories came out before most of them became "trapped in an MMO," or "trapped in a world that the MC treats like an MMO anyway." Like Fushigi Yuugi. So, considering the way this genre has gone in recent years, Re:Zero has been pretty refreshing to watch so far.

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ I think that it's probably possibly to adapt most introspective-ish stuff, even if you have to make it less explicit. During the conversation between Subaru and Rem, for example, in the WN it mentioned Subaru thinking about how Rem (or he) might die if he tries to explain things, and in the anime they show him shaking his head in a way that directly implies that he can't bring himself to risk doing so, and the viewer can infer why. In the worst case scenario, you can always just have Subaru think "outloud" and/or show visuals in the background that detail what he's thinking about.

I'm a fan of the "brief nightmarish flicker"-type of flashbacks they've been doing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Cake Attack posted:

what's the av from seafood
LiEat, a short little story-heavy RPG thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So on whose authority is Subaru presiding over negotiations on Roswaal and Emilia's behalf? I don't recall anything in the past episodes granting him the authority to forge an alliance, or trade mineral rights, or do anything on their behalf except run his mouth and get his poo poo kicked in a bunch of times.

• Locked thread