Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Longer answer: where there's trench warfare, there's snipers.

I remember reading that the trench latrines made very good targets because they attracted flies. Whenever someone went in the flies would fly away briefly, so if you had a sniper watching it he knew there was someone to shoot at. Apparently some snipers killed as many as ten men a day just watching the latrines, although you'd reason that they could just start building latrines out of line of sight. Is this right or just a story?

E: Sniping snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It sounds a bit too neat too be true. Why would swarms of flies care that a stinky human was among them?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

more to the point seeing a swarm of loving flies at more than a hundred yards just reeks of bullshit. it's not going to be a black cloud coming off the shitter that can be spotted from 400-500meters out.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

House Louse posted:

I remember reading that the trench latrines made very good targets because they attracted flies. Whenever someone went in the flies would fly away briefly, so if you had a sniper watching it he knew there was someone to shoot at. Apparently some snipers killed as many as ten men a day just watching the latrines, although you'd reason that they could just start building latrines out of line of sight. Is this right or just a story?

If the latrines were in LOS then why wouldn't the snipers just look for the soldiers instead of flies?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Why would you build latrines that leave you completely exposed to rifle fire?

And then why would you use the shitter when 4 of your friends' corpses are all laying face-down in their own poo poo?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't imagine anyone would built a crapper raised above the trench. If you can't manage to build the floor high enough to stop your own feet rotting off I don't see why you would give your turds the privilege. To say nothing of the obvious stupidity of exposing yourself to fire.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And then why would you use the shitter when 4 of your friends' corpses are all laying face-down in their own poo poo?

Well you do need to bury them, duh. Think before you post.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

Well you do need to bury them, duh. Think before you post.

As if the morning artillery barrage won't do that for you for free!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If the morning barrage is landing that close to your latrines your probably about to be in a world of poo poo anyway :v:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But you still need to poo poo somewhere, might as well kill two flies at once. Well, not literally.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

a setup like that, but with a hook gun because you can't get great distance out of a black powder gun without a big bore too, is probably what killed that one king of sweden, not a jacket button fired by one of his own men

sorry!

Don't be ridiculous, he had spells to protect him from snipers. The spells don't work against a piece of your own clothing.

All this talk of shitter-shooting reminds me an amusing story I heard about a Slovenian guy who was fighting the Ottomans. They had him cornered in a castle and they were besieging it, but without much luck because it was built on a network of caves letting his men go out and get supplies from the locals. Eventually, the Turks caught one of the foragers, and he agreed to turn his coat in exchange for his life. He waited until his boss went into the room "where even the sultan goes alone" and then lowered a red flag down the side of the wall to about where the potty was... allowing the Turks to blast it with their cannon.

sullat fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 8, 2016

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
So eh, FA-35. Surely its been discussed to death the previous thread, somewhere. Is there an effort post or cliff notes sitting somewhere? It has always came across as a pretty decent platform to me, despite what the media likes to say.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's a good plane, particularly the F-35A. The real problem with it is that they cost a god damned fortune, in large part because of the ridiculous requirements imposed by the VTOL F-35B variant. That means there's unlikely to ever be enough of them, and if you're not the United States, also a political issue.

Ask in the Airpower thread and you'll get more details: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Oh man I'm so happy I can actually participate in this one! Only 500 pages left in the last thread

Best pooping threads for me 2015-2016

Edit: and the air power one too^^

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pellisworth posted:

Also, why the gently caress would you attend a sweat lodge ceremony if you didn't care about the associated ritual and beliefs? It's not like passing an arms-length pipe around smoking sage with a bunch of old Native American dudes while your body temperature is so hot as to risk heart attack and stroke is a fun thing in isolation.

Regarding the legal nightmare that is the collision of the American justice system and tribal sovereignty, it's getting better. My mom works in criminal justice and law enforcement on the reservation, tribal/state/federal governments are all very aware of the problem and have been devoting more resources toward federal prosecutors working on such cases. That's still not addressing the root problem of the current tribal sovereignty system being fundamentally hosed, though.

That one's easy I'm afraid. White middle class new age tweakers will throw tons of money at anything that promises them a sense of spiritual gratification without having to work too hard, and plastic shaman are all too happy to oblige them. I don't think they don't care per se, but proper ceremonies have a ton of work associated with them, taboos that cannot be broken and which seem complicated or unjust to the western mind, and will likely not fix all of your problems right away.

Well, that's good. I pray things will work themselves out eventually :/

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There is one very obvious flaw with the "look for the flies" method of finding a latrine. It's not necessarily this.

Cyrano4747 posted:

more to the point seeing a swarm of loving flies at more than a hundred yards just reeks of bullshit. it's not going to be a black cloud coming off the shitter that can be spotted from 400-500meters out.

I'd buy that the observer, whoever he is, has a good enough telescope to see that there are flies over there, apparently buzzing around something. What I also buy is that he is going to see a lot of flies wherever he looks, because the latrine is far from the only thing in a goddamn trench (and in the shell-holes around the trench) that's going to draw flies. The only useful thing that "there are a lot of flies" indicates is "They are living in a trench".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sullat posted:

Don't be ridiculous, he had spells to protect him from snipers. The spells don't work against a piece of your own clothing.

All this talk of shitter-shooting reminds me an amusing story I heard about a Slovenian guy who was fighting the Ottomans. They had him cornered in a castle and they were besieging it, but without much luck because it was built on a network of caves letting his men go out and get supplies from the locals. Eventually, the Turks caught one of the foragers, and he agreed to turn his coat in exchange for his life. He waited until his boss went into the room "where even the sultan goes alone" and then lowered a red flag down the side of the wall to about where the potty was... allowing the Turks to blast it with their cannon.

Wouldn't a garderobe be pretty easy to spot because of the huge streak of poo poo running down the side of the wall?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

As the Italian inventory expands, we take a look at the 8mm and 12.7mm rounds on display. Red tip, blue tip, white tip, none, which types of rounds are now done? What mixture does an APIT round use, and what color does it produce? Which round has a fuze similar to that of German origin? All that and more at the blog!

Taiko
Jul 13, 2006
During the American Civil War, how permeable was the border between Union and Confederate territory? Did civilians (traders, etc) pass easily between the two? As a corollary, how were the lines of communication? For example if I were a civilian living in Boston and my cousin were in Charleston would we have any means of communicating?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GriffX posted:

During the American Civil War, how permeable was the border between Union and Confederate territory? Did civilians (traders, etc) pass easily between the two? As a corollary, how were the lines of communication? For example if I were a civilian living in Boston and my cousin were in Charleston would we have any means of communicating?

Smuggling was a thing, yes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There was legal trade too I think. I'm always surprised how often I read countries are continuing trade even while at war with each other.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trin Tragula posted:

The only useful thing that "there are a lot of flies" indicates is "They are living in a trench".
TBH not even that. It just tells you that there is a trench, the relative health of the occupants is not indicated.

OwlFancier posted:

Wouldn't a garderobe be pretty easy to spot because of the huge streak of poo poo running down the side of the wall?
The point of the story is that they knew to hit it then because the dude would be in it and they could pinch off the command element.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Smuggling was a thing, yes.

the cotton must flow

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
you can also get newspapers from the enemy country relatively easily, which considering reporters would mention any military plans they could get their hands on, was sometimes a huge hassle for generals on both sides.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

you can also get newspapers from the enemy country relatively easily, which considering reporters would mention any military plans they could get their hands on, was sometimes a huge hassle for generals on both sides.

The obvious idea is to feed your news guys grandiose plans of swift and complete victory that may or may not represent reality.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hello friends
tias, were you wondering about :stare: harmonious proportions?
there are extremely harmonious proportions behind this link, click here
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...2JKuPgAbMjLTQDQ

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

hello friends
tias, were you wondering about :stare: harmonious proportions?
there are extremely harmonious proportions behind this link, click here
[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Mk-_nR7XtHAJ:https://www.asu.cas.cz/~had/val/val...2JKuPgAbMjLTQDQ[/url]

Thank god they don't depict Uranus :haw:

[quote]
"To which a snake-dragon is harnessed"
[/url]

So, if you have sculptures of classical gods/goddesses in your Estate, is that sorta like statues of superheroes or something? Really anally placed superheroes

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's part of a complex symbolic alphabet of alluding to poo poo, which as a relatively well educated guy (he went to three colleges and was only kicked out of one for killing a guy(not sure he ever graduated tho)) wallenstein would have been familiar with. like i don't remember who it was who did it but some anti-Imperialist produced a play about Jason, Jason stole the Golden Fleece, the Golden Fleece is a Hapsburg order of knighthood, this is a covert reference to victory over the Hapsburgs and therefore a relatively sick burn for the well educated

where magic comes in is that you can also influence your life by producing this stuff, like when the french king depicts himself as the sun at an official dance that's going to literally and for real strengthen his kingdom

see eros and magic in the renaissance and the work of frances yates for more

i mean, wallenstein might be both mental and way too loving wealthy, but everyone who was anyone would have known what this meant

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 8, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Holy poo poo, that article has squamous angles and euclidean symmetry enough that my brain achieved harmonious elevation for all of 5 seconds. Well, that or the rather forceful satay I just ate :catdrugs:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Holy poo poo, that article has squamous angles and euclidean symmetry enough that my brain achieved harmonious elevation for all of 5 seconds. Well, that or the rather forceful satay I just ate :catdrugs:
the guy who worked on the place was a military engineer and astrologer, which sounds like a really niche conjunction of interests but at the time and in that circle probably was not

edit: it makes him an efficient target of graft at least, you get 2 for the price of 1 :homebrew:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 8, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Never before has your username been so appropriate!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm glad they boozed up the pig first.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Western press claims communist revolution will break out in USA when pigs fly. Another victory for the proletariat!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That's fake, incidentally.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RaeFr1OMJvY

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

For what purpose?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Generally there was actually a shaft that went down to a repository at the bottom that was shovelled out every now and again. It wasn't usually just a straightup hole with your cladger swinging in the wind.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

spectralent posted:

For what purpose?
Ballistic bacon delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
here is an article about a conscientious objector. it's also relevant to my interests, since it's about a man whose honor was taken away from him and who "says he cannot die—he literally cannot leave this earth—until [it] is fully restored."
http://reprints.longform.org/zepps-last-stand