Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure where the best place to ask this question is, so I'll ask here as it's not about any one specific game.

Last night, I was playing Guild Ball and the rules in that game very clearly differentiate "towards" and "directly towards".

The former being "so long as you end your movement closer to the target than where you started", and the latter being "taking the shortest, most direct path possible".

Anyways, the guy I was playing against got super salty and said I was "abusing" the rules when I would charge a model at an angle, making it so my model could threaten two of his.

He said that in "all of his experience wth WW2 and Space tabletops, never has he seen a rule like that".

Can anyone provide me an example where a game system implies "directly towards" but doesn't explicitly say it?

I know I was well within the rules for how I played it, and this is a very common thing in Warmachine / Hordes. Surely other systems make this distinction too, right?

Similarly, I was using "Target Friendly Model" abilities to target the active model, but he was saying "Clearly it's supposed to be 'target other friendly model'".

Again, surely other games differentiate between the two?

I've played a lot of GB and you played it correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I have read too many rulebooks to take "I haven't met rules like that in any other game" as an argument.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

To be fair, not everyone actually reads the rulebook, or any rulebook.

Just don't bitch about rules if you can't be bothered to read and attempt to comprehend them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
For minis games, I like to read through the rulebook enough that I can write a digest of the rules or commit it to battlescribe. The exercise helps!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Serotonin posted:

I've played a lot of GB and you played it correctly.

Oh, I know I did, I'm mostly just curious water these game systems are that apparently just imply rules...

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

JcDent posted:

I have read too many rulebooks to take "I haven't met rules like that in any other game" as an argument.

it's never a good argument. those games over there are those games not this one.

i've heard a worse argument however: "it makes more sense my way". que le gently caress why are you using anyone else's ruleset in the first place?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I know some goons were into All Quiet on the Martian Front before it died a rapid and unexpected death, apparently the license has been bought and revived by Ironclad Games

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

So, FFG Announced a thing - https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/runewars-the-miniatures-game/

Looks like it plays like a mashup of Warhammer and X-Wing (remove minis as you take casualties in units, but move around using templates and order units via dials).

Could be interesting I guess?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If anyone is interested in Battletech alternative miniatures or otherwise wants some small mech models, we're headed into the last day of the CAVII kickstarter. I think these are 10mm scale? You get over 70 miniatures for the $100 pledge, which is pretty great.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Anyone have experience with generic sci-fi miniature manufacturers like Ground Zero Games? I'm having silly ideas about Stargrunt and Tomorrow's War.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If you're thinking 15mm, GZG are a great company to deal with. They mostly do near-futureish humans, but there are some other things in there. Some handy civilians too.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JcDent posted:

Anyone have experience with generic sci-fi miniature manufacturers like Ground Zero Games? I'm having silly ideas about Stargrunt and Tomorrow's War.

GZG are pretty cool yeah. Be aware they're one of those companies that somehow in TYOOL 2016 haven't managed to get pictures of their full range on the website, so it's kind of 50-50 what you're ordering, but there's a picture of their range from a con somewhere on the net you can use if the model's not too recent.

Also, you want Dirtside for 6mm, Stargrunt is 25-15mm.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That's what I had in mind. Their Crusty range might convince me to build a Prawn platoon. I was just wondering if there were other cool options (with turn of the century websites) out there

spectralent posted:

Also, you want Dirtside for 6mm, Stargrunt is 25-15mm.

I haven't read Dirtside yet, platoon level action is really sexy to me, and you can hardly do that with God's Own Scale.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 6, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

That's what I had in mind. Their Crusty range might convince me to build a Prawn platoon. I was just wondering if there were other cool options (with turn of the century websites) out there

I haven't read Dirtside yet, platoon level action is really sexy to me, and you can hardly do that with God's Own Scale.

Dark Star's both a little pricey and their website is amazingly 90s, completely with black background, but they have pictures and their figures are really nice.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Zark the Damned posted:

So, FFG Announced a thing - https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/runewars-the-miniatures-game/

Looks like it plays like a mashup of Warhammer and X-Wing (remove minis as you take casualties in units, but move around using templates and order units via dials).

Could be interesting I guess?

This could be cool. That human faction looks horribly boring though.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Endman posted:

This could be cool. That human faction looks horribly boring though.

I like the giant golem but yeah.

It's still going to be the faction everyone plays though :smith:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Wait for the inevutable 3rd faction?

Will check Dark Star, but if it's pricey AND american...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So, I went looking and Critical Mass and Khurasan (bloody Yanks!) have amazing ranges with a lot of variety, Rebel minis have somewhat inconsistent quality, Brigade Models seem to be very much on the heroic end of things and 15mm.co.uk seems to be the runt of the litter. I can't seem to remember another website that had guys in white power armor available in both 15mm and 28mm versions.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

So, I went looking and Critical Mass and Khurasan (bloody Yanks!) have amazing ranges with a lot of variety, Rebel minis have somewhat inconsistent quality, Brigade Models seem to be very much on the heroic end of things and 15mm.co.uk seems to be the runt of the litter. I can't seem to remember another website that had guys in white power armor available in both 15mm and 28mm versions.

There's also ArmiesArmy in 15mm. 15mm.co.uk's got one range I actually really like, it has the space dinosaurs in, but otherwise I generally find them kinda subpar, yeah.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This week's bundle of holding has a ton of Osprey games:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/OspreyWargames

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Looks like a real cool deal

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Does anyone have a copy of the Arena Rex print and play figures that were supplied at the time of the KS? I want to give the game a try with the group prior to spending $15+ per model.

EDIT: Found them.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 9, 2016

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Any of you goons got a spare Victoria minis Adepticon 2015 exclusive floating around and willing to ship it to the UK?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Has anyone bought a starter army pack/box for 6mm historicals before? I have found a couple websites with them now and I am wondering if any are worth it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Which company? I've bought a few of the Baccus ones and they are good value.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah, I've picked up a starter British Napoleonic army from Baccus, and it was nice. However, for my second army, I realized that I wanted to get my infantry from Baccus and cavalry from Adler, so a starter army would not be ideal. But Baccus also have infantry "starters", so I still picked one up.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, I've got a couple of the Baccus Napolionic ones, and depending on your basing scheme, you may need to pick up a couple of extra packs of things. - I was base 4 strips/16 men on a 40mmx20mm base, as opposed to the Baccus 60mm bases their starter sets are made for - in the end it really only ment I had a few to many command stands, but if you want to alter that, just say so in your order.

I'm just going to show off here.

I want to do ACW, and I'm not sure if I want to do 6mm or 15mm (my terrain is in those two sizes) - 6mm would be great for Black Powder and Longstreet (If I ever get off my rear end and get the rules), but 15mm would also allow me to do sharp Practice, if I base 2 guys to a strip and call that 1 unit.

I'm still waiting for my kids sleep pattern to settle down, so I can break out my Vietnam guys for some FNG, although I have convinced a mate to have a game of Great War Spearhead with me! So thats a good thing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Baccus has good Bronze Age stuff too. I have most of my Wars of the Diadochi stuff from there.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Just realised this is the NOT historicals thread.....

maybe here would be better

I'm happy someone picked up All Quiet on the Martian front, a quick tightening of the rules and it will be a good game - its fun as it is!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Here are my British 6mm starter:

I'll have to see if I need to rebase anything, now that we're going to play Lasalle.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Konflikt 47 looks pretty interesting, as I prefer not actual ww2 settings or gates, but I did hear good things about bolt action rules. Can anyone comment?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

xutech posted:

Konflikt 47 looks pretty interesting, as I prefer not actual ww2 settings or gates, but I did hear good things about bolt action rules. Can anyone comment?

BA is a popular game, but the weak point is that it doesn't recreate ww2 skirmished realistically, as it is more of a "put lots of toys on the table" kind of game. Which means that I think an over the top fantasy ww2 with mechas is a better theme for the rules, since ahistorical firefights becomes a moot point.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

lilljonas posted:

BA is a popular game, but the weak point is that it doesn't recreate ww2 skirmished realistically, as it is more of a "put lots of toys on the table" kind of game. Which means that I think an over the top fantasy ww2 with mechas is a better theme for the rules, since ahistorical firefights becomes a moot point.

Yeah it's probably fair to say that Bolt Action is more a WW2 themed miniatures game as opposed to a WW2 historical miniatures game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The BA people have been pretty open about it being the WW2 Movie miniatures game.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

You can also use the great Dust minis that are still out there to add to your army as Warlord's range builds up, which is a bonus.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Bolt Action is a good game, but not necessarily a faithful recreation of WWII.

It's playable, quick, and light in the right places. I think Gates of Antares builds on the rules in interesting ways, and again a background where people have built in electronic countermeasures in their armour makes not being able to hit people on the other side of the street less of an issue.

I like what I've read in the rulebook for Konflikt 47, but I need to paint my stuff up and play.

Bolt Action 2nd edition comes out next month, which apparently has some fixes, but also newer plastics. For £56 from some online stockists, it's worth it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

lilljonas posted:

You can also use the great Dust minis that are still out there to add to your army as Warlord's range builds up, which is a bonus.

This is basically what I'm hoping to do. I have a decent amount of DUST stuff. Also if people are looking for a cool project, the World of Tanks people have some 28mm scale papercraft tanks:
http://worldoftanks.ru/ru/media/10/

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Cool. thanks for the replies, I'm okay with a less serious game. It's good that there are so many plastic kits out already, so I don't have to worry about the line dying, and I think/guess the rules changes will be included in the new version of bolt action.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

xutech posted:

Cool. thanks for the replies, I'm okay with a less serious game. It's good that there are so many plastic kits out already, so I don't have to worry about the line dying, and I think/guess the rules changes will be included in the new version of bolt action.

If Warlord stopped making Bolt Action kits tomorrow it wouldn't really matter. It's still a 28mm WW2 game and as such you can literally use any models you want in that scale, of which there are boundless kits in plastic and metal available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I don't want to be boring by going German, but I feel like the British are going to be boring.

Well, any reason to not go into 28mm is a good reason.