Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Scar is incredible, one of the most vividly otherworldly books I've ever read. It'll make you afraid of the ocean. I can't put in sufficient words my love for it. My username is from it. It's my favourite fantasy novel of all time. Etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't think The Scar is even close to being in the same league as Perdido Street Station, but it is still really good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Scar feels a lot tamer. More beatiful than disturbing if you know what I mean. Still my favorite book of his.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Khizan posted:

Yes. The Scar is probably his best book in the Bas-Lag world.

Be warned, though; it is not a sequel to PSS and it does not follow up on that story.

nah

The best Bas-Lag books, in order:
- the quiet home life portion of Perdido Street Station, taken in a vacuum
- Iron Council
- The Scar
- the rest of PSS

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Anything featuring a Weaver.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I'm also of the opinion that The Scar is his best bas-lag.

After rereading PSS, the most unbelievable thing to me is the 30+ page scene about running cables through the city. Editor please.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Iron council is the best bas lag book.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
seriously give me a whole book about shopping, reading the newspaper, and eating dinner in a magical corporatist dystopia

i want this so bad

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

andrew smash posted:

The only people who say this are commie scum.

(I agree btw)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Sci-fi/fantasy books in general that painstakingly talk about what quotidian life is like for its inhabitants are fantastic and, I feel, incredibly difficult to write. What I would give for the Studs Terkel of the SF/fantasy world (although I think Diana Wynne Jones did a lot in this domain).

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

the_homemaster posted:

The only people who say this are commie scum.

(I agree btw)

I'm not even a communist but that book really grew on me and now I think it's the best one. Actually, it's probably the best contemporary fantasy novel.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Oh yeah I agree, and it has the very best Mievillian ending. You can judge a person on whether or not they dig China's endings.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

andrew smash posted:

:yeah:

Also, I think I'd rate The Scar higher on the list if (BIG SPOILERS) Uther Doul wasn't behind everything and also a perfect manipulator that came out of the rushed climax scot-free. That left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth but I still really enjoyed the story.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Vanderdeath posted:

:yeah:

Also, I think I'd rate The Scar higher on the list if (BIG SPOILERS) Uther Doul wasn't behind everything and also a perfect manipulator that came out of the rushed climax scot-free. That left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth but I still really enjoyed the story.
uther doul is the least interesting character in that book

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
More like Uther DULL

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Brucolac for loving life.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

the_homemaster posted:

More like Uther DULL

Admittedly I think that was the point of uther, everything he did was so free of tension he was like a rolling anticlimax. It couldn't have been anything but intentional in an otherwise very well crafted novel. It was just boring as poo poo

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

andrew smash posted:

This this the right opinion.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Patrick Spens posted:

This this the right opinion.

Everyone who says it does so with so much conviction that I feel like I must be wrong. I like the scar best. Then pss. I didn't particularly enjoy iron council.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Dirty Frank posted:

Everyone who says it does so with so much conviction that I feel like I must be wrong. I like the scar best. Then pss. I didn't particularly enjoy iron council.

Not too long ago, I used to be like you. Then I reread IC.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

andrew smash posted:

It definitely is

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Iron Council is super good. Second best Mieville book after The Scar for me. That middle flashback section alone is among the best stories he's ever written.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Taste is a funny thing. The Scar seems pretty clearly the most rated Mieville book out there except maybe PSS, but it's probably my least favourite of his books. Protagonist is just so boring and unlikeable, and the ending is such an anticlimax imo. Iron Council gets my vote for best Bas-Lag as well.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
If The Scar is an anti climax, Iron Council is coitus interruptus

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

And the biggest reveal in PSS comes after the climax. It's all fantastic!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I don't know about enjoyed at the time, but Iron Council is the Bas-Lag book I most want to read again.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Jeza posted:

Taste is a funny thing. The Scar seems pretty clearly the most rated Mieville book out there except maybe PSS, but it's probably my least favourite of his books. Protagonist is just so boring and unlikeable, and the ending is such an anticlimax imo. Iron Council gets my vote for best Bas-Lag as well.

Especially boring - and maybe that's why I just didn't care what happened to her; I wanted to know more about Brucolac, the Twins and Uther Doul. I don't remember if I didn't skip a couple of pages because she was moping around on the ship city, while the Remade guy was giving himself tentacles.

I found Iron Council most boring, after plethora of characters and weird adventures of PSS and The Scar it was just... meh. I don't actually remember anything of it, besides the monk of aspects, elemental summoning and it all happening in wild west or something. Surprisingly (to me), I've found The City & The City boring as well, but I've gotten into that after Iron Council, so I expected it to be fantasy. In the middle of the book I've started to not look at it through the prism of Bas Lag, but a standalone, non-fantasy book and it just clicked. Still there were some boring bits (a couple of pages when they were hiding in the safe house (?)), but besides that I've found it really enjoyable, satisfying and... novel, I guess?

The ending of PSS was just heartbreaking, seeing that everything could have easily ended differently. The reveal after the ending didn't really phase me that much because I didn't care for the Big Bird anyhow.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 12, 2016

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

So here's that long-ish blog post I've been working on. It's a disjointed kinda argument in which I ask the question, Is This-Census Taker set in Bas-Lag?

Believe it or not there are a bunch of clues that point to the possibility!

I thought this was really well written and even-handed. And also gave lots of cool stuff to think about! :toot:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I thought this was really well written and even-handed. And also gave lots of cool stuff to think about! :toot:

Aw thanks :3: I'd love to see someone ask China about it at a book talk.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Ccs posted:

Whaat, China Mieville is a professional-level illustrator as well? How multi-talented is this guy?!

Don't rightly know, myself, but if experience is to be my guide, some gentle goon can probably answer this for you, OP. Cheers.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

canis minor posted:

Especially boring - and maybe that's why I just didn't care what happened to her; I wanted to know more about Brucolac, the Twins and Uther Doul. I don't remember if I didn't skip a couple of pages because she was moping around on the ship city, while the Remade guy was giving himself tentacles.

That is actually one of the best things about The Scar, we get to see everything from the outside.
Seeing the POV for various characters would take away the mystery that surrounds them and make the whole thing generic.
Cause we would get Uther Doul the generic genius swordsman, the generic crazy Twins and the generic vampire which would all fit in rear end typical RPG characters.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Where was all this IC (P) love earlier?

You are all correct, though. Even if all 3 novels have excellent and imaginative portions.

Which has me thinking it's been like 6 years since I read it, so it's almost due for a re read...

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Beige posted:

Anything featuring a Weaver.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

So Miéville's new book is out on Tuesday if you're in the US, but not until February if you're stuck in the UK like me. What are the least ruinous ways for me to acquire it legally, thread?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pay me to buy and ship it?

I mean my copy's already pre-ordered and all set, but I could swing by a bookstore I guess.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

vegetables posted:

So Miéville's new book is out on Tuesday if you're in the US, but not until February if you're stuck in the UK like me. What are the least ruinous ways for me to acquire it legally, thread?

Bookdepository.com has free shipping worldwide. So do many other book websites. Why is this a hard question?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Bookdepository.com has free shipping worldwide. So do many other book websites. Why is this a hard question?

I did not know this!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Bookdepository.com has free shipping worldwide.

They also send nice emails:3:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in Denmark it would be quite expensive in taxes and fines if an order from the US got caught in customs. There must be local shops that import American books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My copy just arrived :) Can't wait to start it tonight. Shouldn't take long, at only 171 pages (not including an afterword) with large text and illustrations.

Now that Mieville has a ton of short stories and a couple of novellas out of his system I hope he goes back to writing 500+ page monsters.