Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Braksgirl will go into more detail I hope but the All Stars are notorious for their terrible transport bus situation if you are using Disney Bus.

But I only stay at Pop, so I don't relaly know what im talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Yeah, I've never heard amazing things about the All Stars, but I wanted some other opinions besides reading touring plans and general googling. Someday I'm going to stay at the Poly. Someday!

And if you're new to the thread - repeating for the millionth time that braksgirl is the travel agent to use!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Thank you for the glowing endorsement! :)

If it were me and I had to choose between All Stars and Coronado, I would take Coronado in a heartbeat. Anya, I neglected to mention that I was looking at the AP room only discount for you and that's all that was available with the discount. I just wanted to make that clear for you. I'm still waiting on Fall discounts to come out (WHERE ARE THEY?!) so if I hear of another deal , we can take a look at that for you. Pop was booked up, and of course, no discounts for AoA mermaid rooms. :(

But yeah, All Stars are kind of a deal breaker for me for several reasons: the double beds, horrible transpo, always crawling with teenage sports groups, farthest away from everything except the McDonald's on Osceola Parkway, thin walls. Coronado is beautiful and, in my opinion, great for a little romance. Plus, the Coronado room I quoted you is a King bed room, which is better for, you know, couples getaways.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 6, 2016

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I stayed at Coronado for my honeymoon and loved it! It's so pretty, and has the largest hot tub of any resort, if I remember correctly. Coronado all the way!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Do. Never. All-Star.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
In my opinion all stars isn't that bad. It's no worse than staying at a mid level motel. If you go in November there won't be nearly as many middle schoolers. Plus you may spend most of your time not at the resort but in the parks. I've stayed there about five times when my girl friend would come visit a couple years back or when I had third shifts/room mates and wanted actual sleep. I can't comment too much on the buses since I always had my car there though.

With that said, Coronado is the better pick depending on the prices. I would look at Port Orleans French Quarter. I like it the best out of the moderate resorts.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The thing that shines the most in the nicer resorts is transportation. We typically stay at Pop, this past trip we were at Swan. It's night and day waiting for busses to and from the parks.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much better like "get on instantly" better?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You will never wait long and you will always have an actual seat.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
You can also walk to 2/4 parks from the Swan. Since it's not operated by Disney they may also pay to have busses more frequently than the typical every 20 minutes.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

nbakyfan posted:

You can also walk to 2/4 parks from the Swan. Since it's not operated by Disney they may also pay to have busses more frequently than the typical every 20 minutes.
All of the Epcot resorts (Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan, and Dolphin) have great park access. You can walk to Epcot, and there's a short ferry ride to Hollywood Studios. The buses to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom were frequent and never very crowded when I visited.

They're all deluxe resorts, so you definitely pay for the convenience. I wouldn't do it as an annual thing, but as someone who will probably only visit every 5+ years, it's totally worth it for me. (Also, the Boardwalk area has a lot of neat stuff to do.)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

The problem with the Swolphin is the resort fee they tack on.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Yeah EPCOT area is another dream location for that very reason. I think it may even be better than the monorail resorts just because you are so close to so much.

I think Coronado is probably going to be it, unless the release something awesome soon. A friend stayed there a month ago and I loved the pictures. But, since this is a pretty Disney savvy group - so I like hearing opinions about resorts I haven't visited.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keep in mind that Swan & Dolphin are not Disney resorts despite their location; they're owned by Starwood, with Dolphin being a Sheraton hotel and Swan being a Westin. This means that as of a year ago you don't get:

* Free hotel parking

* Magical Express shuttle to and from the airport

* Free MagicBands

* The ability to charge things on Disney property to your room

I'm a big fan of the Boardwalk and Yacht & Beach Club for their excellent location. All the resorts ring a small lake, with the north and south ends of the lake having rivers with boats and walking paths to Epcot and Hollywood Studios respectively. This also means that you can walk or rent a bicycle to travel between all the resorts and their restaurants.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

chitoryu12 posted:

Keep in mind that Swan & Dolphin are not Disney resorts despite their location; they're owned by Starwood, with Dolphin being a Sheraton hotel and Swan being a Westin. This means that as of a year ago you don't get:

* Free hotel parking

* Magical Express shuttle to and from the airport

* Free MagicBands

* The ability to charge things on Disney property to your room

I'm a big fan of the Boardwalk and Yacht & Beach Club for their excellent location. All the resorts ring a small lake, with the north and south ends of the lake having rivers with boats and walking paths to Epcot and Hollywood Studios respectively. This also means that you can walk or rent a bicycle to travel between all the resorts and their restaurants.

My aunt works for Starwood, I can occasionally swing $80 a night rooms. I'll take that price over the conveniences any day.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

This. I always push for one of these resorts on my business trips so I can hit up Epcot shopping and eating after work.
Love the Boardwalk feel and entertainment. We stayed at AKL for our family vacation this year but went to Epcot through Boardwalk one night. On the way home I got dragged into one of the performer's acts. The juggler had me "assist" him and it wound up being a highlight of the trip.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Got my Disneyland training agenda today. We're eating at Carthay Circle! Also we get VIP view of Paint The Night and World of Color. Pretty excited about that since the special 60th Anniversary editions of those end the next week.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Braksgirl posted:

Got my Disneyland training agenda today. We're eating at Carthay Circle! Also we get VIP view of Paint The Night and World of Color. Pretty excited about that since the special 60th Anniversary editions of those end the next week.

My husband loves those duck wings at Carthay Circle more than he loves me...get them!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Braksgirl posted:

I had lunch at Carthay and it was amazing. I only got a burger, but goddamn, it was a great burger. I also got a World of Color package with the meal, so the price was worth it (I assume yours will be either all or party covered though) I also ate lunch at Blue Bayou and had the world famous Monte Cristo and holy moly was it good. The gumbo it came with was also pretty great.

I was very fortunate enough to have lots of amazing friends who are Disneyland cast members, so we got treated like royalty. We got VIP seating for Paint the Night (and that night was the best night for it because both the first parade and evening fireworks were cancelled due to half the park losing power, so VIP viewing for a packed parade) and extra fastpasses out the wazzoo. It was a fantastic trip and I spent way to much money on snacks and stuff.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I thought about doing Blue Bayou, but decided to go with Cafe Orleans for Monte Cristo, but I'm excited! We're also eating at Goofy's Kitchen. I've never gotten to do one of these training things so I'm a little dazzled.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Something something Blue Bayou is the best

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

BlueBayou posted:

Something something Blue Bayou is the best

You ain't lying. I do regret not asking to be seated near the water, but it was still spectacular.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

A couple of discounts dropped today out of the blue. No chatter online anywhere which is practically unheard of.

1. Save up to 20% on rooms at select Walt Disney World® Resort hotels for stays most nights Nov. 6-Nov. 10, Nov. 13-Nov. 22, Nov. 26-Dec. 23, 2016. Book by Oct. 8
Excludes Campsites, 3-bedroom villas, The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Bungalows at Disney's Polynesian Villas and Bungalows, Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Art of Animation Resort – The Little Mermaid Standard Rooms, and Disney's Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter.

2. Enjoy a 2-day/3-night stay in a standard room at a select Disney's All-Star Resort with one park per day Magic Your Way® base tickets for just $1,055 for a family of 3. Book by October 8, 2016 for stays most Sunday through Thursday nights from November 6 through November 22 and November 27 through December 21, 2016.

There's a room only discount that also coordinates with #1.

As always, I offer up my services to anyone who wants to take advantage of the offers.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 9, 2016

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I called to add Magic Express to my reservation, but it's not showing up online. How long does that usually take?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I don't know for sure as I never do Magical Express for my personal vacations, but I don't think it shows up in your account unless you set it up at the same time you book. I know when I set it up for clients, it doesn't show in My Disney Experience.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm 27 years old and the biggest Disney fan I have ever met. Cartoons are my favorite, favorite, favorite thing. I have a Youtube channel about them and business cards that say "cartoon expert." I also host a monthly live comedy show that is mostly about cartoons, particularly Disney. This year I'm planning my first trip to Disney. It is all I can think about.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Well thanks to Braksgirl I will be making my first trip to Disneyland in September with my friend and her kid.

She played the 'single mother in school' card and a sob story so I am going to be paying the lion-share of everything (and 100% of meal costs) which I mention because you'd think that would have given me more of a say on the itinerary but you and I would be wrong. Plus we 'have to' go to Universal Studios first because she gets free tickets from her work but they only work on weekdays not weekends which was one of many changes she required. /rant

I get terrible motion sickness and I have the back of a 90 year old man so I'm probably going to end up holding bags and acting as photographer, still I am really excited about going, especially to see the Star Wars stuff. My nieces are a bit young to go yet (that'll probably be my next trip) so I wanna make sure I get a picture with as many of the princesses as I can to show them.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Blackchamber posted:

Well thanks to Braksgirl I will be making my first trip to Disneyland in September with my friend and her kid.

She played the 'single mother in school' card and a sob story so I am going to be paying the lion-share of everything (and 100% of meal costs) which I mention because you'd think that would have given me more of a say on the itinerary but you and I would be wrong. Plus we 'have to' go to Universal Studios first because she gets free tickets from her work but they only work on weekdays not weekends which was one of many changes she required. /rant

I get terrible motion sickness and I have the back of a 90 year old man so I'm probably going to end up holding bags and acting as photographer, still I am really excited about going, especially to see the Star Wars stuff. My nieces are a bit young to go yet (that'll probably be my next trip) so I wanna make sure I get a picture with as many of the princesses as I can to show them.

Though it doesn't address the back issues, Dramamine is a life saver when it comes to making rides bearable for those with motion sickness.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Blackchamber posted:

At least you get to have sex with her... right?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

n8r posted:

At least you get to have sex with her... right?

It's not like that. Her cousin and was my best friend growing up and he died about two years ago kind of unexpectedly. We still hang out time to time and it's usually just us talking about him and the good ol' days.

Her baby daddy decided to run off from his now wife and their kids with some new tasty piece and ignoring both sets of kids and the kid is taking it pretty hard. That's the sob story.

And I really need a vacation.

Chili the Dramamine is a good suggestion but yeah the back is going to keep me benched. I looked up some other websites where people with back and neck problems discus the rides and there aren't many they'd recommend. Chief complaint was rides with sections that are in the dark because you can't brace yourself. I'm sure I'll enjoy the park regardless.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

Chili the Dramamine is a good suggestion but yeah the back is going to keep me benched. I looked up some other websites where people with back and neck problems discus the rides and there aren't many they'd recommend. Chief complaint was rides with sections that are in the dark because you can't brace yourself. I'm sure I'll enjoy the park regardless.

Last time I went to Disneyland, my fiancee was recovering from whiplash. There are a lot of on-ride videos on Youtube, and we watched a lot of those to determine what was likely going to be problematic. Oddly enough, California Screamin' was a-okay, but the Mater ride in Carsland was a no-go.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Just watch out with Dramamine as it can make you sleepy- I know I wouldn't want to be sedated at the park.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Electrical Parade leaving WDW in October. Going back to Disneyland

No replacement announced yet.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...aint-the-night/

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Zero One posted:

Electrical Parade leaving WDW in October. Going back to Disneyland

No replacement announced yet.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...aint-the-night/

Ugh, that tired thing again? They take away the new, almost interesting parade (I hate parades), and replace it with one that should have dumped in the scrap heap 20 years ago... lazy, lazy management.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Maybe Paint The Night is going to WDW?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Hearing a lot of NO on that, but I feel like that's one that's going to get denied up until they announce its starting next month.

I don't think it'll happen before Boo To You and Once Upon A Christmastime end their runs.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

the big thing signaling a NO on Paint the Night at WDW is that Disneyland is making it a Seasonal parade for busy seasons, like the holidays. Now, that could be them blowing smoke, but another rumor I heard is that we just don't have the budget to support shipping over and staffing a new parade.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't really understand the financial sense of a parade anyways it's alot of upkeep and a safety hazard and stops people from buying things so I wouldn't blame them for not having one.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Parades aren't about financial sense. They are one of the many things that separates Disney from your average theme park.
I enjoy most of, if not all of them despite having seen them all several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I know I just think that after shanghai they're not In a place right now for extraneous features like parades :shrug: