Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

d0s posted:

can someobody at least tell me what part of that crossed a line I don't see so I don't do it again?

You insulted videogames storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

black potus posted:

You insulted videogames storytelling.

Also bad.

d0s posted:

can someobody at least tell me what part of that crossed a line I don't see so I don't do it again?

It's okay Imp Zone poster I will protect u and your shtick.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

okaay I think I'll stick to what I know from now on and stop trying to comment in politics threads, my bad. these are not controversial opinions in video game land. sorry!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's actually very controversial to present the idea that a type of media has problems so there's no bother trying.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

better to just vote for jill stein imo

But the green party is very anti-science so I can't really support them, leaving nobody I want to vote for, so I'm going to have to strategically vote against Trump.

Actually since I reached voting age I've never voted for someone in a general and that's super depressing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

d0s posted:

okaay I think I'll stick to what I know from now on and stop trying to comment in politics threads, my bad. these are not controversial opinions in video game land. sorry!

but what if maybe games r art :aaaaa:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

But the green party is very anti-science so I can't really support them, leaving nobody I want to vote for, so I'm going to have to strategically vote against Trump.

Actually since I reached voting age I've never voted for someone in a general and that's super depressing.

Anyone who votes for Jill Stein should be hit with a rock

Anybody who wants to actually

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

No you don't. Trump isn't loving winning. Even if he does, your vote wasn't what tipped it over the edge. Do not let people scaremonger you into holding your vote hostage. Vote yourself if you want. Don't vote, whatever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Unless you want to vote for Jill Stein because then you should be beaten

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Literally The Worst posted:

Anyone who votes for Jill Stein should be hit with a rock

Anybody who wants to actually

I'm going to be controversial and take a stand that you shouldn't hit people with rocks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

I'm going to be controversial and take a stand that you shouldn't hit people with rocks.

Fine, sticks it is

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Even anti-vaxxers?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

d0s posted:

:smuggo: "I don't know why you guys are even bothering to discuss this, I hate it all on a conceptual level and refuse to read it and you're all suckers for thinking there's any merit in it" :smuggo: is just a pointless opinion to bring up. There's nothing added to the discussion except your personal dislike of the whole concept, which, well, okay? Well done you. Do you go to the Mad Men thread and drop the hot take that you don't even own a TV? The Hillary Clinton thread to announce that you don't live in the USA and can't vote? Drop by the powerlifting thread and let them know that you don't lift and think discussing lifting is for dumb babies?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

Even anti-vaxxers?

Don't hit them with rocks, just vaccinate their kids against their wishes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Don't hit them with rocks, just vaccinate their kids against their wishes.

What if the rocks are coated with vaccines?

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

d0s posted:

Let's assume you're being genuine here. With that, the idea that storytelling and writing being superfluous to a game is both silly and unwelcome. The mechanical interaction of a game isn't the only reason people play video games. If that's truly what you're arguing, you should just play poker because graphics, sound design, and the other parts of video games are also superfluous. Why does your car need to be a car in a racing game? Just make it a box moving along a path. The gameplay hasn't changed. Why do you even need music? Or sound effects? Instead of screeching tires or the sound of driving through gravel just use a buzzing sound to show you're going off the road. Gameplay hasn't changed. The idea that certain parts of a game are superfluous should be a controversial opinion because it devalues the work put into games, which as an industry is notorious for paying and treating people like poo poo already. Now you may think "whatever, I'm just some rando, my opinions don't actually control what companies like EA pay their staff", but that kind of opinion becoming widespread is a problem. As much as the DE/alt-right folks love to think society is some kind of closed system it's not. Popular opinion very much has an affect on how certain industries are viewed and run.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

What if the rocks are coated with vaccines?

Then I think we should probably have you fired from the vaccine-factory.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This argument is extraordinarily tedious

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

inkblot posted:

Let's assume you're being genuine here. With that, the idea that storytelling and writing being superfluous to a game is both silly and unwelcome. The mechanical interaction of a game isn't the only reason people play video games. If that's truly what you're arguing, you should just play poker because graphics, sound design, and the other parts of video games are also superfluous. Why does your car need to be a car in a racing game? Just make it a box moving along a path. The gameplay hasn't changed. Why do you even need music? Or sound effects? Instead of screeching tires or the sound of driving through gravel just use a buzzing sound to show you're going off the road. Gameplay hasn't changed. The idea that certain parts of a game are superfluous should be a controversial opinion because it devalues the work put into games, which as an industry is notorious for paying and treating people like poo poo already. Now you may think "whatever, I'm just some rando, my opinions don't actually control what companies like EA pay their staff", but that kind of opinion becoming widespread is a problem. As much as the DE/alt-right folks love to think society is some kind of closed system it's not. Popular opinion very much has an affect on how certain industries are viewed and run.

If a Muslim is not murdering innocents and raping children, he is a bad Muslim.

“Hang on” I hear you say: “Did not you tell us that Alawites, the guys in Syria that the State Department is trying to genocide, are moderate?”

Yes, Alawites are moderate. Their religion also has more gods that you can shake a stick at, they drink wine, celebrate Christmas, and eat pork. They celebrate something suspiciously like mass with wine and bread, plus a pile of pagan deities. Since Christianity is dead in the water, maybe we should convert to Alawism, since the likely alternative is that we get converted at swordpoint to Islam, or we males get killed and our women get converted at swordpoint to Islam. But I digress. Back to moderate Islam.

The great majority of Muslims are profoundly disinclined to blow themselves up in a pizza parlor. But they create an environment were the guy who is apt to blow himself up in a pizza parlor is holier than they are, an environment where the guy who is apt to blow himself up in a pizza parlor can fade into the woodwork when the police come looking for him.

There is no moderate Islam in the sense that there is no Islam where the adherent to the faith who engages in violence against non Muslims is viewed as bad, unholy, an outsider, no Islam where Jihad is not as Islamic as motherhood and apple pie are American. There is no Islam that fails to provide a favorable environment for terror. Terror is so fundamental and intrinsic to Islam, that any supposedly Muslim religion that seriously disengages from terror really is not Muslim, and any Muslim monarchy that fails to support terror gets assailed as inauthentically Muslim, as not taking Islam seriously, and it is transparently apparent that any nominally Muslim monarchy that fails to support terror is inauthentically Muslim, does not take Islam seriously.

For thirteen hundred years, no one has managed to coexist with Islam except in a state of war and near war. We will not be the first.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Jill Stein was the only dinner guest not startled by the crash. Another night, another rock, coated in biological material thrown at her through another window. Even in Montreal she was not safe.

She called the police. "Yes.. I need to report an attack. Oui. Another Bio-Rock: In fenêtre."

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got a LoB reply! I feel honored! :holy:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

inkblot posted:

Thanks for honest reply. I was just coming at it from my point of view and my taste, I don't really care for games that do lots of storytelling because I really am more interested in the mechanical, skill based parts of it. I mostly play arcade style games. I don't really think games are going to go back to being like that any time soon (though I would honestly welcome it, just because it would mean more new games I'd want to play). I don't see as much need for story in an FPS than something like an RPG and I personally would rather that effort/money be put into a game that plays really well in the case of an action game. I honestly didn't know people cared a lot about the stories of AAA FPS games and I stupidly assumed everyone thought they were as silly as I did. I'm not against story-centric adventure games or RPGs or anything like that. I am 100% not trolling and not a DE/alt-right person, I think all of that is strange racist bullshit and I've been reading this thread to laugh at it. I saw something related to a thing I have opinions about and posted, it was just a badly phrased way of saying "yes a AAA video game story is bad, big surprise". I was kind of annoyed by the derail because I like the usual content of this thread. My bad for making a dumb post.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
video games are neotenic

Anyway I got called out by name by Vox Day today! Unfortunately, it was just for not letting his fans turn his Wikipedia article into a press release, which is basically a weekly event in my life. I thought this would be an interesting thing when it happened, but it was just stupid. Which, given it was Vox, I should have expected.

divabot has a new favorite as of 22:21 on Aug 8, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

divabot posted:

video games are neotenic

Anyway I got called out by name by Vox Day today! Unfortunately, it was just for not letting his fans turn his Wikipedia article into a press release, which is basically a weekly event in my life. I thought this would be an interesting thing when it happened, but it was just stupid. Which, given it was Vox, I should have expected.

Have you tried nominating it for deletion? Because that gives me an idea.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Lady Naga posted:

No you don't. Trump isn't loving winning. Even if he does, your vote wasn't what tipped it over the edge. Do not let people scaremonger you into holding your vote hostage. Vote yourself if you want. Don't vote, whatever.

Unless you live in a swing state, in which case vote Hillary because your vote might actually be the vote that tips it over the edge

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

d0s posted:

Thanks for honest reply. I was just coming at it from my point of view and my taste, I don't really care for games that do lots of storytelling because I really am more interested in the mechanical, skill based parts of it. I mostly play arcade style games. I don't really think games are going to go back to being like that any time soon (though I would honestly welcome it, just because it would mean more new games I'd want to play). I don't see as much need for story in an FPS than something like an RPG and I personally would rather that effort/money be put into a game that plays really well in the case of an action game. I honestly didn't know people cared a lot about the stories of AAA FPS games and I stupidly assumed everyone thought they were as silly as I did. I'm not against story-centric adventure games or RPGs or anything like that. I am 100% not trolling and not a DE/alt-right person, I think all of that is strange racist bullshit and I've been reading this thread to laugh at it. I saw something related to a thing I have opinions about and posted, it was just a badly phrased way of saying "yes a AAA video game story is bad, big surprise". I was kind of annoyed by the derail because I like the usual content of this thread. My bad for making a dumb post.

Apologies if it seemed like I was chewing you out there, that wasn't my intent. It's just one of those normally innocuous things that I've heard a lot, sometimes by very visible people both in and out of the industry (John Carmack and Roger Ebert immediately come to mind) that can have a direct impact on the livelihood of people who work in it. It also shows up in places like the alt-right as a dog whistle for sexist/racist comments... well, when they want to bother using dog whistles. They love to go off on video games all the drat time, and especially love to devalue work done by people in the industry if they aren't programmers or designers. It's one of those things where I have heard enough of the dog whistles that I get suspicious, even if it isn't meant to be taken that way. It's also somewhat of a sore spot for me because I know a lot of people in the industry and I don't want them to get ground up because their work is seen as superfluous or unimportant.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Kit Walker posted:

Unless you live in a swing state, in which case vote Hillary because your vote might actually be the vote that tips it over the edge

Mmmmmno.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The more people who vote democratic, the bigger the national shift to the left. Strength in numbers is a thing.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The more people who vote democratic, the bigger the national shift to the left. Strength in numbers is a thing.

Lol yeah we all saw how leftist America got after two terms of Barack "Drone Death" Obama. By 2060 we might see some real progress!!!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Gentlemen you can't post bad opinions here, this is the Dark Enlightenment thread!

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Hey maybe don't argue with Lady Naga

Ever

About anything

It leads to healthier threads

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Hey maybe don't argue with Lady Naga

Ever

About anything

It leads to healthier threads

Maybe you should try some bofa.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

inkblot posted:

It also shows up in places like the alt-right as a dog whistle for sexist/racist comments...

This is something that bothers me, I haven't noticed stuff regarding what I was talking about specifically but there are a bunch of these guys who seem really intent on politicizing my dumb hobby to the point where you have to watch what you say when it comes to matters of taste in case you end up parroting some unironic fascist's opinions. In their heads game stories are probably bad because they're written by :ohdear: liberal arts majors :ohdear: intent on marxing your brain, in mine it's because I just don't like them in action games and find them bland compared to books, movies, etc. Thanks alt-right!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
My favourite detractors are the ones that have never spoken with or tried to engage me but get suuuuuuper mad in any thread I show up in and start trying to lay sick burns. It's literally some guy I don't know just shouting about how much they apparently dislike me and I mean how can you get upset about that?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I hope to someday be a prominent enough poster to have detractors.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

GunnerJ posted:

I can be your first if you want.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't want any goddamn pity detracting, I'm not a charity case!! (Unless it's sincere then go for it.)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
^ Down with this guy

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lady Naga posted:

My favourite detractors are the ones that have never spoken with or tried to engage me but get suuuuuuper mad in any thread I show up in and start trying to lay sick burns. It's literally some guy I don't know just shouting about how much they apparently dislike me and I mean how can you get upset about that?

Please don't tell anyone to suck your entire rear end in a top hat, I don't want you to get probated again. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

GunnerJ posted:

I'm pretty low-key sure people hate me and it's mildly unpleasant