Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Season 3 of Agents of Shield is up. Not sure when it first popped up.
Watched a few episodes and I'm really glad I stuck with the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

New season of BoJack is really good guys. Maybe even the best so far but I'm only after 3 first episodes so it may still take a dive I guess. The episode making fun of the year 2007 as if it was making fun of the 70's or something was a joy to watch. Everything is as depressive as ever and they cranked up the self-aware animal jokes. Todd is still an absolutely worthless character that isn't even that funny, I don't get the reason for his existence outside of being voiced by Aaron Paul. I like that this series has an actual resolving plot and character arcs though.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

wormil posted:

Stranger Things was interesting. Great job at capturing the vibe of the early 80s while playing around with some of the tropes. Pacing was slow as hell though.

I'm really glad people suggested it or I otherwise wouldn't have watched it. It was pretty darn good, and they absolutely nailed the 80s aesthetic without being too cheesy. The only complaint I have is the same as yours, though--the pacing was infuriating at times.

Also, here lies Barb, in another dimension, eaten by a monster. She is survived by nobody and will be missed by her closest friend, abject loneliness

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Palpek posted:

New season of BoJack is really good guys. Maybe even the best so far but I'm only after 3 first episodes so it may still take a dive I guess. The episode making fun of the year 2007 as if it was making fun of the 70's or something was a joy to watch. Everything is as depressive as ever and they cranked up the self-aware animal jokes. Todd is still an absolutely worthless character that isn't even that funny, I don't get the reason for his existence outside of being voiced by Aaron Paul. I like that this series has an actual resolving plot and character arcs though.

Episode 4 is either really great or really bad, it seems to be pretty polarizing; I'm in the really great camp. But as per usual the season is brutal later episode 9+. All in all I do also think it's the best season so far.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
They really let Paul F. Tompkins go nuts this season. I think he voiced half of the characters in every episode and the show is even better for it.

His sleazy 2007 agent in episode 2 was fantastic. His fetish for women who don't notice him was bizarre in a wonderful way.

"We never even made eye contact"

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Stranger Things got a season 2. Same cast, more Upside Down.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Stranger Things got a season 2. Same cast, more Upside Down.

If they don't cast some people 30 years older I am disappoint.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So did Lady Dynamite!

Crazy Ex Girlfriend is a great show with a terrible title. It stars the lady that did the "gently caress Me, Ray Bradbury" music video.

Edit:
https://youtu.be/e1IxOS4VzKM

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Jul 28, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the new season of Todd Margaret, which is fantastic and a little surreal.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ryoshi posted:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the new season of Todd Margaret, which is fantastic and a little surreal.

I didn't even see it drop until a couple days ago. It's a helluva trip and definitely worth it.

Good lord, the Garden Party reveal was brilliant

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
The entirety of Misfits is on Hulu Free, albeit with shitloads of commercials. I'd somehow never watched it while it was on, and it's basically the UK version of what Heroes would have been if Heroes had actually been a good show. It gets a little dumb in the later seasons because basically everything does, but it's pretty solid all the way through.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I think I've posted this before, but the entirety of Justified is on Prime, and it you haven't seen it, holy poo poo you are missing out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

10 Beers posted:

I think I've posted this before, but the entirety of Justified is on Prime, and it you haven't seen it, holy poo poo you are missing out.

Usual disclaimer: First half of S1 isn't very good. The rest kicks rear end.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Remember how The Thing was a triumph of paranoid storytelling and practical effects?
Harbinger Down took everything awesome and produced a wet fart.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Iron Crowned posted:

Episode 4 is either really great or really bad, it seems to be pretty polarizing; I'm in the really great camp. But as per usual the season is brutal later episode 9+. All in all I do also think it's the best season so far.
Update: I didn't really like the 4th episode. I didn't hate it but I thought that they didn't pull off the idea well as there were some big pacing problems as if the director didn't really know how to make a silent movie so there were gaps and situations going flat all the time.

I just watched the abortion episode though and that loving song, man that loving was hilarious.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Inzombiac posted:

Remember how The Thing was a triumph of paranoid storytelling and practical effects?
Harbinger Down took everything awesome and produced a wet fart.

But mah PRACTICAL EFFECTS!!!

Seriously, it's hot garbage- the practical stuff looks mostly awful and that's what you're banking your entire project on, and the reputation of your company?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bet the pre-production concept art was cool as hell but then they forgot to light any of the scenes.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Inzombiac posted:

I bet the pre-production concept art was cool as hell but then they forgot to light any of the scenes.

Idea:

Execution:

and a whole lot of

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I loving KNEW IT

Edit: Ahh, I see. The movie was Kickstarted by the company that did The Thing effects after their (radical) work was painted over with CG.

I can understand why they were mad but their response was to take a bad script, a bad crew and an inexperienced staff to make movie to show off how cool their effects can be.
But then they forgot to light their scenes properly and left everyone with poopy diapers.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Aug 1, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also wiggiling props around...looks like somebody is wiggling props around and not like the thing is moving on its own. The eye can catch the difference. The same goes for time-reversed footage. Even The Thing 2011 had more suggestive CG than this poo poo.

Palpek has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Aug 1, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'll have to watch it now just because you guys are talking about it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ugh, good luck.

I watched Stage Fright. It's a musical horror/comedy. It is not funny, scary or all that musical.
The villain is accompanied by ear shattering music that is significantly louder than the rest of the film and made the whole thing a chore to watch.
Good premise, very flawed execution. However, it does have Meatloaf and that creepy dude who shot up Degrassi High.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HarmonQuest is pretty boss guys.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Don't remember if Deathgasm was a forum recommendation but it's a lot of fun. New Zealand version of Evil Dead meets Trick or Treat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Turtlicious posted:

HarmonQuest is pretty boss guys.

But it's not on Netflix, right?

I made a Seeso account and watched it twice in a week. It's so, so good.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ryoshi posted:

I watched all of this, and I'm really glad it got created even if it's not solid all the way through. There were enough hilarious moments to justify the whole 3rd season. Couple incredible moments.

epsilon-6
Dec 25, 2002
So does anybody have any theories on what the gently caress was going on in season 3 of Todd Margaret?

So in season 1 he has an allegorical dream, with a dream-within-a-dream that accurately predicts his future?

How does this address the plot holes Spike Jonze mentions at the end of season 2?

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I enjoyed The Code on Netflix. Australian government/hacker drama with a decent amount of action and it's only 6 episodes long so you don't have to wait loving forever for something to happen.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

epsilon-6 posted:

So does anybody have any theories on what the gently caress was going on in season 3 of Todd Margaret?
Dave fled across the desert and Todd Margaret followed him.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Crow Jane posted:

Deadwood is just the best, I may do a rewatch soon as well. I'm beyond excited for Ian McShane as Mr. Wednesday in American Gods.

Does anyone know of a show in a similar vein to Deadwood? It is truly fantastic. On Amazon prime or Netflix :)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

John Big Booty posted:

Dave fled across the desert and Todd Margaret followed him.

nice

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

du -hast posted:

Does anyone know of a show in a similar vein to Deadwood? It is truly fantastic. On Amazon prime or Netflix :)

Dialogue-wise, nothing else comes close.

If you liked Timothy Olyphant, watch Justified on Amazon Prime. His character is a lot funnier and more likable, despite still exhibiting flaws that will become more apparent throughout the show. It has a great supporting cast and stays good-to-great throughout the entire run.

If you like big-budget historical dramas with good ensemble casts, watch Rome and/or Carnivale on Amazon Prime. Both played on HBO at the same time as Deadwood. Both are entertaining, but neither is as good.

If you want a brilliantly-written HBO drama with an outstanding cast, watch The Wire on Amazon Prime. It almost works as a companion piece to Deadwood. Deadwood is about different elements of society working together to create civilization, and the Wire is about the inevitable decline of civilization, and how all the different elements are affected by the decline, how they helped cause it, and how it failed them.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Ah poo poo I meant Longmire. That said, I will definitely give these a try!

Anything anyone know of near to Longmire?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

du -hast posted:

Ah poo poo I meant Longmire. That said, I will definitely give these a try!

Anything anyone know of near to Longmire?

Haven't seen Longmire, but I'd still recommend Justified first and foremost -- another crime drama/modern-day Western, starring a hat-wearing antihero who seems almost like a man out of time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Longmire is legit good, and you can recommend it to your grandma.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Try The Knick, it's one of the best series in recent years. It's a different theme but it has some fantastic original characters and honestly I don't think I've seen a better cinematography in any series. It has 2 self-contained seasons but sadly can only be bought separately on Amazon or iTunes. Warning - it has a lot of realistic gore that some people may not me able to stomach.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

epsilon-6 posted:

"This continues on and on in similar iterations forever and ever because Todd Margaret's mind is the universe and it occasionally needs a restart?"

And/or David Cross got high as balls and thought "gently caress man what if I was so important that the entire cosmos was in my mind," and ran with it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Try The Knick, it's one of the best series in recent years. It's a different theme but it has some fantastic original characters and honestly I don't think I've seen a better cinematography in any series. It has 2 self-contained seasons but sadly can only be bought separately on Amazon or iTunes. Warning - it has a lot of realistic gore that some people may not me able to stomach.

I can hear that dripping sound from the operating theater in my head now.

Great show but it's not for everyone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
S1 of Todd Margaret was so bad I can't believe anyone wanted more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It's improv so it doesn't have to be funny.