Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Montasque posted:

Those same Bushies wrote a #NeverTrump manifesto in a Neo-Con publication back in the primaries.

Republicans, including donors, didn't care then, they don't care now.

I guess it helps the narrative that everyone is jumping ship, but these guys jumped ship months ago.

And again - The Bush era and it's policies are not popular. There's a reason Jeb had trouble cracking double digits with $150 million spent.

You're lookin too hard into it imo, it just adds to the narrative. These people are just gonna be branded as GOP defects and most won't want to read deeper than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
but why not Johnson. If they truly despised Clinton and had character, they'd just piss it away on Johnson right?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Lastgirl posted:

but why not Johnson. If they truly despised Clinton and had character, they'd just piss it away on Johnson right?

Johnson is a peacenik - NeoCons need their forever war.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Johnsons reserves all his thoughts of violence for the irrational actors who will die as a result of his whackjob ideology

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Libertarians dont like wars of adventure because it cuts down on Jet Pack time.You ever Jet Pack during a war? Forget about it!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
maybe if your parents exercised a modicum of self-interest, you wouldnt have to drink cholera water, Timmy

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, Olympics are cool right!? Lets spot the difference in the candidates' messaging!
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/762747771246051328
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/762675570937298944
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/762361057394458624
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/761773576101953536

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

paranoid randroid posted:

maybe if your parents exercised a modicum of self-interest, you wouldnt have to drink cholera water, Timmy

just give him some cough syrup, he'll be fine

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
no gently caress you donald its "Bigly" you useless rear end

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
bigly good luck to our olympic athletes

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

thethreeman posted:

Good post. I think the speculation is that it'll happen post election, though, during Obama's lame duck term. As long as he doesn't rescind the nomination, that is :getin:

I don't think he will. He's not the type to use somebody like Garland as partisan fodder
Yeah, the only way he gets his nomination rescinded is if he asks for it himself after deciding to retire from the judiciary to live the quiet life of a professor, which seems...unlikely.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

bigly good luck to our olympic athletes

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
donald should get his hands digitally enlarged for all his print media

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenophon posted:

Also, re: those fav/unfav numbers in the CNN story, Cruz is unpopular now. But he wasn't refusing to endorse Trump so that he would be popular in the summer of 2016. He refused to endorse so that he could come back in 2019 and say "I told you so" and "I'm the real principled conservative" and "I am the only one who stood up to the liberal who threatened to destroy us from within."

To be honest I'm not sure how well this is going to work. No matter how badly Trump gets beaten come November 8th, the primaries have already proven that there are too many people in the GOP base who buy into Trump's brand of nativist populism for the party to simply write them off. Look at what happened after 2012. The party leaders were keenly aware that their deficits among minority voters, especially young minority voters, had put them on an unsustainable path. Yet the moment they made a move to moderate on an issue that was hurting them, immigration, their base revolted, and three years later nominated a guy who wants to turn the US-Mexico border into the new Iron Curtain. Saying that Trump isn't a "true conservative" doesn't help because it's clear now that the Republican base doesn't give a drat about conservatism, they just want all the scary brown people to go away.

Really I don't see how the GOP ever manages to solve the problem of these Donald Trump/George Wallace types in their party. When the Democrats started to piss these people off back in 1948, they simply became Republicans, but where are they supposed to go now? It's not like they can go back to the Democrats, as dependent as they are now on the Obama coalition to deliver them the White House, and America's FPTP voting system means that a third party would only give complete control of the federal government to the Democrats for the foreseeable future.

IWW Online Branch fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 8, 2016

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Pro thread title change

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bigly

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Love the new thread title.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

shiksa posted:

So it's some sort of suicide skewed

Trust in my self righteous skewicide

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

we have great, great thread titles. simply the best.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Really I don't see how the GOP ever manages to solve the problem of these Donald Trump/George Wallace types in their party. When the Democrats started to piss these people off back in 1948, they simply became Republicans, but where are they supposed to go now? It's not like they can go back to the Democrats, as dependent as they are now on the Obama coalition to deliver them the the White House, and America's FPTP voting system means that a third party would only give complete control of the federal government to the Democrats for the foreseeable future.

The Republicans can still continue to run up their advantage in state and local governments where their message is popular thanks to gerrymandering and our wonderfully arcane districting system, and then every four years the Other Republican Party can run a candidate for president. They might lose the presidency every year, but hey, when you hold a majority in every other branch of government, it doesn't matter so much!

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, the only way he gets his nomination rescinded is if he asks for it himself after deciding to retire from the judiciary to live the quiet life of a professor, which seems...unlikely.

oh interesting, didn't realize that. A bunch of articles have talked about how Obama can withdraw him, but I know nothing abt SC law:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/03/17/how-obama-could-get-last-laugh-in-supreme-court-fight/

quote:

That scenario goes like this: If Republicans don’t give Garland any hearing, and a Democrat (most likely Hillary Clinton) wins the presidential election, Republicans could then move to consider him in the lame duck session, to prevent Clinton from picking a more liberal nominee. But at that point, Obama could withdraw his nominee, to allow his successor to pick the next justice, instead.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I don't understand the big deal about toxxing vs. not. Isn't it just like :10bux: ?

Boosted is fun and should be encouraged to post more, not less.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Spent some time hanging out on the Trump boards today. They're all pretty much totally committed to the idea that Hillary is literally on death's door and that when she finally keels over in public everyone will run to the Donald.

So even those knuckleheads realize that they can't unskew every poll and are straight-up hoping for a miracle now.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Since Trump is adopting Xander Crews platform with the big titties thing he might want to consider the pedestrian overpass to Canada over the wall, probably more economically feasible

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Zeroisanumber posted:

Spent some time hanging out on the Trump boards today. They're all pretty much totally committed to the idea that Hillary is literally on death's door and that when she finally keels over in public everyone will run to the Donald.

So even those knuckleheads realize that they can't unskew every poll and are straight-up hoping for a miracle now.

Where does this theory even come from? Just because she tripped going up some stairs? I don't get it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

That DICK! posted:

Since Trump is adopting Xander Crews platform with the big titties thing he might want to consider the pedestrian overpass to Canada over the wall, probably more economically feasible

I was gonna call it "The Spic-Span!"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

anotherone posted:

Where does this theory even come from? Just because she tripped going up some stairs? I don't get it.

Coordinated message from the Trump campaign and Super PACs blasting through right-wing media. Didn't work too well because even CNN was calling bullshit on it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I was gonna call it "The Spic-Span!"

:eyepop:

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hey, Olympics are cool right!? Lets spot the difference in the candidates' messaging!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/761773576101953536

The only difference I see is that one of the photos in these tweets has below average hand size.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

That DICK! posted:

as long as fred dryer is the VP

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

TRUMP ANNOUNCES LOVES BIGLY TITTIES FROM THE D

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Dolash posted:

It's a bit of a tricky needle to thread, Hillary picking up endorsements (or tacit endorsements in the form of condemning Trump / "vote your conscience") from Republicans and other right-wing or even "centrist" figures. It can definitely feed into the narrative of Hillary being the candidate of the establishment and doesn't help her with progressive voters who already see her as a compromise, but if she racks up enough support like that the narrative can instead be "everyone even remotely sane or civil vs. insane raving Trumpists". There's a core of Republicans who are obliged to support him through gritted teeth but the media seems like it's warming up to the idea of dropping the "both sides / horse race" nonsense and in that case it might help. True, the hardcore Trumpists will just double-down again but any remaining moderates or middle-ground types might give up on him.

It probably depends on if his numbers stay "losing South Carolina" bad for a few more weeks, nobody likes the idea of being on the losing side like that.

Glad Ted took a stand for that loose affiliation of area 52 body snatcher surrogates he calls his kin but he will never hold real power.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

anotherone posted:

She fell and hit her head a year or two ago. Reportedly mild concussion, nothing beyond that.

RW media has of course :regd08: over her supposed mental problems ever since.

Welcome to anti-Hillary meme world. The last 25 years have been a lot of fun.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Donald Trump supports Russia and their doping fucks of athletes in the Olympics such as Yuliya Efimova. #BeWithBaloogan

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
It probably is true that Hillary's health isn't tip-top right now. Blood clot in the brain is no small matter even with a full recovery. Seriously doubt it is bad enough for her to become incapacitated or withdraw though. I do think it's possible that she won't run for reelection in 2020 because of health reasons. She's really old now. Look at how much the presidency ages people.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

She had a blood clot in 2012 I think and has been pretty hoarse a few times when speaking (because it's hard going on a tour and giving a speech every day for months) but I think that's literally it, everything else is hilarious reaching for baby Jesus to strike that (w)itch dead

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

and yeah she's super old but so is trump and he at least has clear mental issues and seems increasingly psychotic as his campaign rolls on

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Karl Sharks posted:

just give him some cough syrup, he'll be fine

:stare:

Yeah, that'd... that'd do something to you at the very least. All it needs is a little cocaine sprinkled in.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

thethreeman posted:

oh interesting, didn't realize that. A bunch of articles have talked about how Obama can withdraw him, but I know nothing abt SC law:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/03/17/how-obama-could-get-last-laugh-in-supreme-court-fight/

The spiteful dick in me wants him to withdraw Garland if Hillary wins, but at the same time, it seems like far too much of a dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Azathoth posted:

To be fair, while Obama might not be the type to rescind a nomination for purely partisan posturing, after the election he actually could make a principled argument that it's now the next President's job to pick a nominee. I don't see why the President has to pretend like they're suddenly acting in good faith by hearing the nomination when backed into a corner, he can take them at their previous word and at a time when it would be most applicable.

I suppose this assumes that Obama would pick someone else than Merrick if given the choice, or that he agrees with letting Hillary pick once elected.

• Locked thread