Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Waaaghs have basically no self preservation instinct, try and make sure you keep them following some kind of order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

Few quirks with the badlands atm and I"m working from memory so names might be a bit off. Either Iron Rock or V* Sorrow (settlement south of Iron Rock) are AI catnip. Until you are ready to push north into the dwarfs Iron Rock should probably be rubble. Both Black Craig and to a lesser extent the Peaks capitals can handle themselves against a stack or two of dwarfs, so your attention should be to the south where you can win with nothing but gobbos and t1 orcs. I'm not sure about the easier difficulties, but you cannot beat the dwarfs at t1/1.5 without the waagh and if they don't have targets and are in range of an enemy, they need to have targets.

So I think I'm playing on normal/normal, but this is what I did and it worked fairly well. I mostly ignored the Dwarfs and took over all the other Greenskin territories, to the point where I have all of the Badlands conquered including the far SE and SW. Now I can turn my attention to the Dwarfs while not having to worry about all that crap, at least the Border Princes or whatever don't seem to want to cross the river to get to me. My problem now is that while I was teching up my building, I never retrofitted my armies. Going up against Dwarfs at turn 130 with Goblins is not working out so well.

What do people's typical Greenskin armies look like? I think the only building I am missing right now is the spider stuff, which I am building now. I can do Giants, etc. Also, what do people do with their provinces? I am doing mostly the support buildings (garrison / money / obedience builings) on the small settlements, and stuff that needs T4/T5 buildings for units in my capitals, but I have more capitals that I need at this point...

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Finally getting around to playing Empire and, man, they're a lot harder than Beastmen.

I miss being able to just buy 4-6 minotaurs and 3-5 raiders and destroy everyone.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Plan Z posted:

So I guess for anyone who doesn't know, you can hold down right click on the campaign map, and it will show you how much of your movement bar a particular move will use. I wish I knew this in my Chaos campaign.

I was on about my third campaign before I noticed this, it's really helpful.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Mr. Wookums posted:

Few quirks with the badlands atm and I"m working from memory so names might be a bit off. Either Iron Rock or V* Sorrow (settlement south of Iron Rock) are AI catnip. Until you are ready to push north into the dwarfs Iron Rock should probably be rubble. Both Black Craig and to a lesser extent the Peaks capitals can handle themselves against a stack or two of dwarfs, so your attention should be to the south where you can win with nothing but gobbos and t1 orcs. I'm not sure about the easier difficulties, but you cannot beat the dwarfs at t1/1.5 without the waagh and if they don't have targets and are in range of an enemy, they need to have targets.

So my first two games found that out quickly.. Iron Rock and V*sorrow were just invites for tons of raiding stacks from rival greenskins and marching invitations from the dwarves.

Is a "Abandon Black Crag" for SW corner of the badlands a viable tactic?

As for Army composition, I'm feeling like it'll be stacks of black orcs/couple giants and lots of artillery for optimum dwarf bashing?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

As for Army composition, I'm feeling like it'll be stacks of black orcs/couple giants and lots of artillery for optimum dwarf bashing?
definitely black orcs, since they have armor piercing and everything the dwarves have is armored except for miners

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Internet Explorer posted:

So I think I'm playing on normal/normal, but this is what I did and it worked fairly well. I mostly ignored the Dwarfs and took over all the other Greenskin territories, to the point where I have all of the Badlands conquered including the far SE and SW. Now I can turn my attention to the Dwarfs while not having to worry about all that crap, at least the Border Princes or whatever don't seem to want to cross the river to get to me. My problem now is that while I was teching up my building, I never retrofitted my armies. Going up against Dwarfs at turn 130 with Goblins is not working out so well.

What do people's typical Greenskin armies look like? I think the only building I am missing right now is the spider stuff, which I am building now. I can do Giants, etc. Also, what do people do with their provinces? I am doing mostly the support buildings (garrison / money / obedience builings) on the small settlements, and stuff that needs T4/T5 buildings for units in my capitals, but I have more capitals that I need at this point...

Off the top of my memory, my generic greenskin army once I was established was something like: 4 black orcs, 4 big uns, 2 specials (giants and/or arachnaroks), a shaman (their buffs are underrated imo), 2 orc boar boyz (save big uns if possible), 5 artillery, and 2 goblin spider rider archers. There was a lot of variation but you get the general idea. I'd also have cheaper versions without the special monsters and less artillery but more arrer boyz and/or night goblin archers, and some that had even more cavalry at the expense of some big uns or artillery. A fun thing to do against the AI dwarfs is to load up on artillery and make them come to you while harassing them with cavalry.

The ratio of black orcs to big uns can change based on what you are fighting and whether you need a lot of AP or not. No matter what I like to have at least 4 or so of them due to their high armor and high leadership. Even cheapy garrison armies can use a few black orcs to help keep the army from chain routing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So my first two games found that out quickly.. Iron Rock and V*sorrow were just invites for tons of raiding stacks from rival greenskins and marching invitations from the dwarves.

Is a "Abandon Black Crag" for SW corner of the badlands a viable tactic?

"Abandon Black Crag" worked out pretty well for me, yeah, or at least commit to not worrying about completing the province. Black Crag is strong and can withstand all but the most dedicated assaults early in the game.

My VH campaign is going decently, I almost feel a bit too lucky. As I said I took out the Dwarfs and every other Greenskin tribe before Chaos arrived, but by the time I got my 4 armies + waaaghs (with 2 defense armies left in the Badlands) marching up through Averland the Empire had already fallen to Chaos.

Not sure if I should let Archaeon & co. do my work for me while I mess with someone else or if I should just make a mad dash towards Chaos and snag my short victory and call it a day.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Deified Data posted:

"Abandon Black Crag" worked out pretty well for me, yeah, or at least commit to not worrying about completing the province. Black Crag is strong and can withstand all but the most dedicated assaults early in the game.

My VH campaign is going decently, I almost feel a bit too lucky. As I said I took out the Dwarfs and every other Greenskin tribe before Chaos arrived, but by the time I got my 4 armies + waaaghs (with 2 defense armies left in the Badlands) marching up through Averland the Empire had already fallen to Chaos.

Not sure if I should let Archaeon & co. do my work for me while I mess with someone else or if I should just make a mad dash towards Chaos and snag my short victory and call it a day.

On turn 40 of my 4th game I had 2 stacks of Barak Varr, 2 stacks of dwarves and 2 stacks of karak anzul right on black crag with my army inside it... Needless to say i didn't win that fight.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TipsyMcStagger posted:

That's serious overkill for dwarves. Late game they have basically no answer to most of your units.

You never really to move beyond the trolls screened by goblins stage to crush dwarves

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Plan Z posted:

So I guess for anyone who doesn't know, you can hold down right click on the campaign map, and it will show you how much of your movement bar a particular move will use. I wish I knew this in my Chaos campaign.

it took me a full chaos short campaign, then a few turns of a beastman campaign to realize that you don't have to encamp to generate growth anymore :gonk:

gently caress you visigoths campaign aaaaaaaaaaarrrghhhhh

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
It's pretty remarkable just how different the Empire campaign feels compared to Beastmen or WoC. It's like I'm laying Medieval 3 with some sort of fantasy add-on.

Major annoyances right now are upkeep costs, how no other loving faction on the face of the old world can do anything to stop these idiot viking dudes oh and also they don't feel very much like teaming up against the forces of Chaos, Undead and Orcs because The Empire likes vertical stripes on their pantaloons not horizontal.

It's pretty cool.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Have the Beastmen ever done anything but make a beeline for Karl Franz in anyone's Empire campaign? I was hoping Estalia and Tilea might actually have to do something for once, but that hasn't been my experience.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yeah in my current empire they've stayed on their side of the mountain. They did kill an incarnation of Karl but that was defending a taken britona settlement

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I think because they only start at war with the empire and middenland they go straight for the mountain pass to Helmgart every time, at least in all mine so far.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I've been autoresolving a lot in my latest VC campaign because the UI is miserable above 25-30 units and god loving drat is it awful sometimes.

A lone empire general with a sliver of health - manual battle: Mannfred and his Banshee walk out at full health, empire general dies to spirit leech before doing more than looking menacing. Autoresolve: the remaining two vargheists in a unit wipe, other units take some damage. How?

And every time I reload because I have a 3/4 yellow bar and surely this time autoresolve will be some sort of reasonable I lose the cool items I got from the autores battle :( I have more caster items than casters and almost no weapons or talismans, let alone armour.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just took out Sarthorael's stack with 90% of my army wiping and Grimgor solo'ing the rest. It was glorious and proper Orky. His lads died well.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really hate the Warherd of Chaos. I was playing dwarves and killing the Warherd was literally the last thing I needed to do for a Long Victory. Their tiny last army decides it wants to play hide and seek rather then stand and fight. While I endlessly chase the army, the Norscans and Etalia decide to spam agent actions at me. I end up with a bunch of grudges that I need Agent Actions to resolve. I quit rather then continue because gently caress That.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I was thinking about buying this, but gently caress there's already like $30 of DLC and it's been out barely 3 months? gently caress that.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I was thinking about buying this, but gently caress there's already like $30 of DLC and it's been out barely 3 months? gently caress that.

Just try the base game, most of the additional content is in in the form of extra enemy factions even if you don't pay for it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Finished my VH Empire campaign on turn 157, think I'll take a break until the first major expansion is released. Hoping to return to many new factions to play as.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Tequila Sunrise posted:

There'll be a sale eventually. it's a good game worth buying, in any case. But yeah, there'll be a shitload more DLC plus two expansions eventually. The whole thing is eventually going to be, like, $300.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Tequila Sunrise posted:

The base game has 4 playable factions. You have easily 80-100 hours of content even without the DLC.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Says the man with an Overwatch avatar.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

Says the man with an Overwatch avatar.

Overwatch doesn't have DLC though? Unless you really want fake currency I guess. They even added a free character like a month ago.

It sucks that since this game has sold so well it probably won't have any sort of steam deal until probably Christmas.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Overwatch doesn't have DLC though? Unless you really want fake currency I guess. They even added a free character like a month ago.

It sucks that since this game has sold so well it probably won't have any sort of steam deal until probably Christmas.
Both the Overwatch limited edition crate only content and the Total War culture packs are essentially the same attempt to get you to pay more money for the game you already have.

In Overwatch the pressure applied is seeing other players run around with skins you can't get with in game currency, only gambling on the crates. In Total War the pressure is seeing the cool factions given to the AI with an update, but not to you until you pony up the money.

In both cases the company tries to soften the blow by adding free content which is clearly not in the same vein as what they are actually selling. In Overwatch appears to be going to be additional maps and characters such as Ana. With Total War this is going to be content for existing factions and a single completely free new faction. In this case blood knights for the Vampire Counts and the Amber Wizard for the Empire, with the promise of Bretonnia as a campaign faction sometime this fall.

It's the same lovely business practice and how much you are willing to bear it is entirely based on how much you like the game in question and how much bullshit you can put up with. In my personal opinion the Beastmen are fine because they're a large chunk of new content obviously not in the game at launch. The Warriors of Chaos though are fairly obviously content cut from the original game. Overwatch's Olympic skins are the height of horse poo poo and basically amount to stooping to League of Legends level squeezing customers.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

All game play elements in Overwatch (characters, maps, game modes) are and will always be free. In fact, everything is free you can just spend money for a chance to get stuff faster. Nothing is gated behind having to pay an extra 50% of the base cost to play for content they patched in.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you don't wanna buy the game, then don't buy the game. Go and spend some more time grinding for skins in Overwatch then, I guess. That's free after all. Your time is free.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tequila Sunrise posted:

All game play elements in Overwatch (characters, maps, game modes) are and will always be free. In fact, everything is free you can just spend money for a chance to get stuff faster. Nothing is gated behind having to pay an extra 50% of the base cost to play for content they patched in.
This is actually factually wrong. All of the Olympic stuff can only be obtained by gambling. So given the time frame they are limited to you're definitely not getting anything specific without ponying up a lot of cash.

Again I think it's lovely in Total War too, but I find it funny that someone who plays a game literally designed to catch whales is complaining about DLC.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Who the gently caress cares about bad game Overwatch. Totalwar is easily worth the base price seeing that it's the best TW game to date by a fairly large margin. The DLC stuff is not required and not something you'd want to get into until you have the base game figured out.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

edit: nevermind, just saw your guy's avatar/usernames.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Broseph if price is really the only deterrent there is a little secret. Namely that SEGA does not bother checking regions. So if you are willing to give an Eastern European youth real American dollars or Union euros through g2a or similar service it can be yours for 38 dollars. Sadly the price does not go lower due to being banned in Russia.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
A friend and I want to be able to play a coop grand campaign as Beastmen, so I've been poking around the modding tools to see if I could figure out something like the LL Unique Starting Position mod just for Beastmen, but I'm totally loving lost. :v:

I'm hoping it's not super complicated for someone who actually knows what they're doing, could any of you mod inclined goons maybe point me in the right direction?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tequila Sunrise posted:

edit: nevermind, just saw your guy's avatar/usernames.

Buy it or don't, man.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/total-war-warhammer-pc-cd-key-steam

Its £33 quid. That's probably a night of drinking for most of you.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

lol at not buying a completely satisfying game because the developer sells optional other stuff for it that you might one day want to buy as well

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The base game is worth it and the four factions play differently enough that it has a lot of replayability. I guess I'd recommend the blood DLC right away because of the cool animations, but the beastmen and warriors can easily wait.

e: And just so you know, the beastmen and warriors of chaos exist in the game and can be fought in the campaign even if you didn't buy the DLC. The DLC just lets you play as them.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just had a final stand against the chaos hordes in Altdorf.

Apparently the AI is bad at sieges, it was on very hard.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Gitro posted:

I've been autoresolving a lot in my latest VC campaign because the UI is miserable above 25-30 units and god loving drat is it awful sometimes.

A lone empire general with a sliver of health - manual battle: Mannfred and his Banshee walk out at full health, empire general dies to spirit leech before doing more than looking menacing. Autoresolve: the remaining two vargheists in a unit wipe, other units take some damage. How?

And every time I reload because I have a 3/4 yellow bar and surely this time autoresolve will be some sort of reasonable I lose the cool items I got from the autores battle :( I have more caster items than casters and almost no weapons or talismans, let alone armour.

It's pretty funny, as VCs autoresolve apparently simulates my Varghulfs tripping on a twig and dying, while as Greenskins it consistently got decisive victories out of fights that I could only manage a close/pyrrhic win myself.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tequila Sunrise posted:

one of them is a texture pack, the other is an entirely optional faction DLC and the other is a entirely optional faction DLC that also adds a whole new campaign.

buy the base game and have fun with it, buy the extra DLC if you feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Little Bitch Man posted:

Just had a final stand against the chaos hordes in Altdorf.

Apparently the AI is bad at sieges, it was on very hard.

Those fights are allways so drat fun, the AI is turbobad at sieges largely because it never sits there and lets its hell cannons level the walls and just leaves them alone to be cavalried so they can throw more men up at your greatswords on the wall.

And i am glad of it :getin:

• Locked thread