Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve2911 posted:

Again, something like 'I have a heartrate monitor that'll detonate all the bombs if I die' or 'you all die if I don't check in with HQ every 30 minutes' would've worked wonders. One line would've done it.

It's kind of implied with the proximity bomb attached to Enchantress' heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Who was even shooting the helicopters? Like I guess it was the puttys but not even once are they shown holding a gun or any weapon of any sort, let alone the giant laser beam looking giant bullet flack cannons that kept shooting every single helicopter. Where did they even get anti-air cannons? did the city just have those sitting around?

The Joker's copter is shot down by government forces on Waller's orders, and Waller's copter is taken out by Incubus directly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I Before E posted:

The Joker's copter is shot down by government forces on Waller's orders, and Waller's copter is taken out by Incubus directly.

I know their last album was bad but resorting to super villainy isn't the answer.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

You're misunderstanding people's objections. People aren't saying they wanted this to happen, they're saying the movie shouldn't have been so loose and sloppy that they assume it could have happened.

It's so clearly the case that it shouldn't even need to be stated, implied, or in any other way handheld. Waller is part of a government agency who know she is working with these people and that they have bombs in their necks. Both she and Flagg have the app for that, so it's not limited to one device. The scientist who Joker kidnaps hacks into whatever linkup that both Waller and Flagg's phones connect to and he obviously has access in some fashion. We are shown all of this on screen multiple times with everyone threatening to blow up their heads if they do something. It is the nittiest of picks to say that it was sloppy to not spell this out.

I do think Flagg was super bitch made for not pointing a gun at Waller's head himself tho when she pulled the app out at the end, and demand more concessions for the people who just saved all their sorry asses

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Guy A. Person posted:

I do think Flagg was super bitch made for not pointing a gun at Waller's head himself tho when she pulled the app out at the end, and demand more concessions for the people who just saved all their sorry asses

Chain of command for some reason hut hut hut.

Guy A. Person posted:

The key thing is Waller is bullshitting everyone pretty much constantly, and her main goal is just having control of as much power as she can grab. Note her excited reaction to finding out Enchantress can create zombie soldiers: "she turned a soccer mom into a soldier who could take a head shot and keep coming"

The downfall of her minions being a bullet to the head is exactly what kills them. They're no tougher than a normal person but way dumber, good job ancient god.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You have to literally shoot them enough times to tear them apart, or be using a large enough caliber to make some very big holes. You need Deadshot for the one or Harley's handcannon for the other. (e: according to imdfdb most of the SEALs are in fact carrying some carbine that fires 5.56mm bullets).

Like how in Vampire: the Masquerade katanas and desert eagles are literally the best weapons because to kill a vampire you just need to make as big of wounds as possible.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 8, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I guess but being easily defeated by a girl with a handgun and a baseball bat doesn't make them super scary or threatening.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I guess but being easily defeated by a girl with a handgun and a baseball bat doesn't make them super scary or threatening.

The risk isn't that they'll kill them directly, it's that they'll capture the Flagg and the Squad's neck bombs will go off like Waller threatened during the briefing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

The downfall of her minions being a bullet to the head is exactly what kills them. They're no tougher than a normal person but way dumber, good job ancient god.

Hah yeah I actually did have that thought when she said that line, I was just repeating it to show what Waller was prioritizing.

But they were in effect more like zombies: just endless waves of soldiers who had no self preservation instinct and were tougher than normal soldiers. Individually they weren't that frightening but the idea was she was turning an entire city into these things from the ranks of non-combatants, and eventually she is going to win the war of attrition (especially when she got her super weapon online)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In Avengers, there is no reason whatsoever for why Loki wasn't just instantly shot down by fighter jets. If the portal machine is on top of Stark Tower, why didn't they just blow up the tower and let the machine fall?

I'm surprised I've never seen someone point that out before. They went straight from zero to nuke, not even trying conventional weapons.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's an in-movie explanation that nukes are the contingency of the illuminati that oversees SHIELD.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's an in-movie explanation that nukes are the contingency of the illuminati that oversees SHIELD.

The movie explains that they're the ones who launched, but not why destroying Manhattan is literally their first thought. Not that it matters, I was just surprised I hadn't seen that comment before.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Has anyone pointed out how absurd it was that Flagg happened to be carrying around letters from Deadshot's daughter the entire time, just in case the guy needed a pep talk at some convenient point?

More importantly, was he carrying different pep talk contingency material for the rest of the group as well?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Flagg had a new pink unicorn in his fannypack but Boomer was such a pain the whole time that he'll never get it now

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

Flagg had a new pink unicorn in his fannypack but Boomer was such a pain the whole time that he'll never get it now

No, no, he had a different unicorn, probably Applejack.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doggles posted:

Has anyone pointed out how absurd it was that Flagg happened to be carrying around letters from Deadshot's daughter the entire time, just in case the guy needed a pep talk at some convenient point?

He was carrying the letters in case Deadshot was critically injured, so the poor sap wouldn't die thinking his daughter hated him.

Deadshot isn't motivated by the letters but by Flagg's (however small) gesture of kindness.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Oh gently caress, the talk about the unicorn reminded me of something.

Boomerang has tucked away a stuffed pink unicorn into the left side of his jacket twice before the following part of the movie. They are in the middle of an office and they get attacked by the Cavity Creeps again. One of them stabs Boomerang right over his heart. Someone saves him, and he pulls the weapon out and... it does not have a pink unicorn stuck to the end of it, instead being stuck into a stack of money.

I was so perplexed by this, I wondered if they'd pulled a Clue where different cinemas got different things in that part of the movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
He probably kept them for some sort of leverage or maybe that's just his thing

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Magnetic North posted:

Boomerang has tucked away a stuffed pink unicorn into the left side of his jacket twice before the following part of the movie. They are in the middle of an office and they get attacked by the Cavity Creeps again. One of them stabs Boomerang right over his heart. Someone saves him, and he pulls the weapon out and... it does not have a pink unicorn stuck to the end of it, instead being stuck into a stack of money.

I was so perplexed by this, I wondered if they'd pulled a Clue where different cinemas got different things in that part of the movie.

The pink unicorn being spared was another reshoot decision by WB to keep the film from being too dark.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Magnetic North posted:

Haha exactly, when he got stabbed I thought,"Okay so that dumb bullshit actually did have a point beyond trying to ape Deadpool wackiness after all!" and then he pulls out the other thing and I was left utterly perplexed.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

He spends the whole movie stealing from the battlefield, with the watch in the street and the money in the building, and they come back to it when he's reaching for the watch but decides to grab the heart instead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jerusalem posted:

Haha exactly, when he got stabbed I thought,"Okay so that dumb bullshit actually did have a point beyond trying to ape Deadpool wackiness after all!" and then he pulls out the other thing and I was left utterly perplexed.

In what way is that confusing?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

So I agree with John Ostrander that critics brought their fatigue with modern blockbuster filmmaking to Suicide Squad with them, but the fact that it traffics in aesthetics coded as lower-class definitely plays into it. Juggalos, Australians, urban Latino and Black subcultures, and even the Tyler Perry brand of Christianity Deadshot subscribes to are all societally coded as crass and vulgar, and Ayer portraying members of these groups as sympathetic and exploited by the American government(just look at the restaurant Waller spends the beginning of the film in and tell me the contrast between those lush surroundings and the untoward business being discussed isn't at least somewhat potent) doesn't sit well with well to do writers who aren't used to confronting class issues. I'm not saying that's the entire problem people have with it, it's undeniably flawed, but I think class is an unacknowledged aspect both of the film and its critical response.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

effectual posted:

Maybe Waller is the main villain :spooky: and she wins in the end

pretty much

you don't really need to know anything about Enchantress because she's just a 6000-year-old magical version of Waller, and Waller gets plenty of characterization

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Posters somewhere in the back pages of this thread expressed bafflement as to why El Diablo lived in such a "lovely" house with all his powers, frustration they couldn't "take seriously" his dramatic moments because of his facial tattoos; also from around the internet some things I've seen (paraphrased) -

"Why did the Japanese girl have to be a samurai? That's such a cliche. Can't we see Japanese girls who AREN'T samurai?"

"So the cannibal is a black guy/the black guy is a cannibal? And he likes BET? Jesus Christ."

"Australians are not like that! We're nooooooooooooooooooot"

and so on.

There's different things going on here. Progressives are alienated by expressions of minority identity they find impolitic, like liking big asses or whatever. Nerds have a serious fixation on "classiness" that tends to be uncomfortable at best with anything avowedly gangsta-affiliated. A Joker covered in tattoos with grills is "not [their] Joker."

e: Note that while this retardery exists it has really failed to dominate the online conversation about SS, which seems more fixated on DC vs Marvel cockwagging or studio interference with directorial vision. You have to go looking for it to find it, as opposed to the much unfairly maligned Gods of Egypt where you couldn't get away from nonsense.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 9, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Respectability politics and propriety in the superlosers movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My question about the Joker stuff is: what do you think happened at the end?

I lean towards "Harley's imagining it, he died in the helicopter crash" but mostly only because the I loved the shot of the espresso machine slowly dripping out disappointing sludge and wish the movie had ended right there.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
If not for one liner of Waller's dialogue ("the Joker and Harley Quinn are dead" after the helicopter gets shot down) you could make a pretty compelling case that the Joker is not actually in the movie outside of flashback, and every Joker scene where he's off setting up Harley's escape is Harley fantasizing about what her own crew is doing on her own orders, incapable of conceptualizing running her own gang without the idea of the Joker leading it.

But then I thought the Joker should have left the movie after the scene where he shoots Common for refusing to cuckold him (and given how little he interacts with the movie itself after that, he probably should have).

edit: lmao, greetings word filter

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I also like the idea that the Joker is an inverted Superman, this sort of small, banal little evil man who's transformed into a glorious antichrist by Harley projecting onto him. He's the capital-H Hope for a character who explicitly comes out and says she doesn't believe that happiness is possible for people like her.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I Before E posted:

He spends the whole movie stealing from the battlefield, with the watch in the street and the money in the building, and they come back to it when he's reaching for the watch but decides to grab the heart instead.

The question is "Why did you spend time establishing that if you weren't going to pay it off?", not "Why does he have money?" It's yet another extremely strange choice.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Remember when a production still surfaced of Deadshot in the long leather coat that he's wearing when he's shopping with his daughter and Batman jumps him

And I think it was Judakel had a meltdown about how he was dressed like a pimp

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jerusalem posted:

The fact that, when it comes down to it, cash is the closest thing to his heart is the entire joke.

Complaints like this (and the letter thing) really indicate that people were expecting tons of expository dialogue. Like the common complaint is that Diablo turns into a demon without explanation: that his powers are demonic is the explanation.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

The question is "Why did you spend time establishing that if you weren't going to pay it off?", not "Why does he have money?" It's yet another extremely strange choice.

They do pay it off when he chooses to grab the heart instead of the watch, choosing teamwork/class solidarity over fleeting material gain.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Jenny Angel posted:

Remember when a production still surfaced of Deadshot in the long leather coat that he's wearing when he's shopping with his daughter and Batman jumps him

And I think it was Judakel had a meltdown about how he was dressed like a pimp

Yea. Somebody actually with a screencap showed that it's actually straight up one of Deadshot's outfits from the comics and he still wouldn't let it go (in fact, that outfit even pops up in the Gotham Knight short featuring Deadshot, which came out back in like 2011 or something).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Crion posted:

If not for one liner of Waller's dialogue ("the Joker and Harley Quinn are dead" after the helicopter gets shot down) you could make a pretty compelling case that the Joker is not actually in the movie outside of flashback, and every Joker scene where he's off setting up Harley's escape is Harley fantasizing about what her own crew is doing on her own orders, incapable of conceptualizing running her own gang without the idea of the Joker leading it.

Yeah, I mean, she's obviously capable. The problem is that she "lives for him". That's why you have Flagg and his little harem (one he's sleeping with, and the other he's also probably sleeping with). One is an infantilized woman with a dark alter ego, and the other is spiritually devoted to the memory of her dead husband. The two haven't been reconciled and just exist side by side uncomfortably in a completely unspoken love triangle. You could say the same for Flagg/Deadshot/Harley or Joker/Deadshot/Harley, but they almost certainly cut stuff that does more than hint at that.

I also really like that it's not a thing where she is "hallucinating" the Joker and he's been dead the whole time and she's in a coma or whatever, it's more that he's not quite real or not quite all there. (He's a fetish. The semi-incestuous brother/sister thing the villains have is also centered around a fetish, etc.) Remember, he's also her alter ego, hinted at by his own sexual availability. Harley is simply "sexy" whereas that part of her is actually quite aggressive (see Joker straddling Ike Barnholtdz).

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I Before E posted:

They do pay it off when he chooses to grab the heart instead of the watch, choosing teamwork/class solidarity over fleeting material gain.

You almost had me with the troll if it wasn't for the use of the word 'fleeting'.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

You almost had me with the troll if it wasn't for the use of the word 'fleeting'.

I'm completely serious here.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Crion posted:

But then I thought the Joker should have left the movie after the scene where he shoots Common for refusing to cuckold him (and given how little he interacts with the movie itself after that, he probably should have).

edit: lmao, greetings word filter

No lie: that scene had me think, "oh hey, a situation that actually qualifies for using that word people use to insult others."

e: That scene also made me wonder how much WB offered Common to cause him to sell out so hard. Doesn't he normally rail against the image of gangstas trading women in strip clubs in favor of socially conscious messages?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I wonder if the deadshot harley romance was ever considered and/or dropped after will Smith joined the project

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Harime Nui posted:

Posters somewhere in the back pages of this thread expressed bafflement as to why El Diablo lived in such a "lovely" house with all his powers, frustration they couldn't "take seriously" his dramatic moments because of his facial tattoos; also from around the internet some things I've seen (paraphrased) -

"Why did the Japanese girl have to be a samurai? That's such a cliche. Can't we see Japanese girls who AREN'T samurai?"

"So the cannibal is a black guy/the black guy is a cannibal? And he likes BET? Jesus Christ."

"Australians are not like that! We're nooooooooooooooooooot"

and so on.

There's different things going on here. Progressives are alienated by expressions of minority identity they find impolitic, like liking big asses or whatever. Nerds have a serious fixation on "classiness" that tends to be uncomfortable at best with anything avowedly gangsta-affiliated. A Joker covered in tattoos with grills is "not [their] Joker."

e: Note that while this retardery exists it has really failed to dominate the online conversation about SS, which seems more fixated on DC vs Marvel cockwagging or studio interference with directorial vision. You have to go looking for it to find it, as opposed to the much unfairly maligned Gods of Egypt where you couldn't get away from nonsense.

I think it's more because all the characters are really lazy stereotypes. I mean was El Diablo ever referred to by any of the other characters without someone brining up his ethnicity? And Killer Croc speaks in Ebonics and wants to watch BET. There's no real joke there unless you consider black people existing funny. I mean if Killer Croc was revelled to be a suburban white boy with a skin condition which he uses to pretend he's black then there might be a joke in there somewhere with tension between Deadshot and him but there wasn't and there ain't.

• Locked thread