Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Fish, Adiabatic:
Should we show up on the evening of 17th (Wednesday) or early Thursday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I must have chucked mine, sorry man :(

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
All good, thanks anyway :)

I do not know if the correct decision at this point is to carry on with this project. We keep getting cockblocked by things (And the likelihood of that not happening again next weekend is basically zero) and I've already spent more on this than is even remotely close to reasonable.

(note: no, the clamshells are not even close to the only or biggest problem)

At this point the powertrain could be assembled into a functional standalone unit (if Painless ever send back the PCM) and sold for a reasonable sum of money, the remainder of the parts (and van?) either sold or scrapped, and I'd be left with enough cash to buy a decent early 2000s tahoe or similar SUV which, while not being anything like as cool, will probably be significantly more comfortable and reliable for actual road trip / holiday purposes.

Dad has also offered to help me out by covering the cost of said tahoe-or-similar, and I could probably get most of that back at the end of the trip by selling it anyway. I don't like having to lean on my parents but I didn't ask, he offered. I think this is the smart choice - It is the choice that gives me a functional vehicle to get around the countryside in with much less blood, sweat, tears, and despair, and doesn't have a borderline impossible schedule. It may even have a net negative cost, given that both the van parts of value and tahoe-or-similar can be sold.

I'm not at all happy about the idea of abandoning the van project but I'm supposed to be on holiday having fun road tripping around the country, not feeling like dogshit wrenching on something that's probably going to turn out to not be completable in the required timeframe. It also has zero possibility of having working AC and while I know that shouldn't be a consideration it kind of is.

I don't know if it's the right choice. I've dug down into this well pretty far and I don't know if I want to keep digging.

Would anyone here be interested in buying an assembled functional standalone LQ4/4L80e/NP241C as well as a huge pile of parts that are effectively an entire ready-to-go swap kit for anything that originally took an SBC?
I think I could live with this colossal failure of mine if something good came from it.

I have to decide whether finishing the project or having a good and enjoyable holiday consisting of more than dumping blood, sweat, tears, and cash into a sunk costs fallacy is more important to me.
I know it's not very AI of me, but I think finishing the project loses that battle. I don't know.

Need to think about it and decide in the morning when I feel less shite.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Lq4 is the 6.0 right? What are you looking to get for it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fart Pipe posted:

5.3 I'm dumb, too many GM engine codes. Heh, this link was already blue for me, too: http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/1012509-lq4-lq9-what-differences-between-two-3.html

and wow, this thread de-escalated rapidly.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 8, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It's a 6.0l/4L80E driveline. Meatpimp is thinking of the LM4, this is an LQ4.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

literally a fish posted:

Would anyone here be interested in buying an assembled functional standalone LQ4/4L80e/NP241C as well as a huge pile of parts that are effectively an entire ready-to-go swap kit for anything that originally took an SBC?

I'll give you 4 grand if you deliver the pile of parts installed in the van to Iowa! :q:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

AI: Two vans enter, one van leaves

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You can still save this thread if you buy the worst possible Tahoe or similar and write a travelogue of fixing it with the Back-Up Car (driven by an assortment of goons) stalking you like a predator.

e: Mustang

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Fart Pipe posted:

Correct. Iron block, iron heads, 6.0L. Out of a 2001 2500 truck.

I'd like 1500 bucks but i have no idea what's reasonable, it cost $900 with a complete-but-mostly-useless harness (hacked up) and the painless standalone harness cost $700, plus there's a whole shitload of other parts to go along with it (headers, electric fan, mounts, buncha other crap) that you could take or leave (i'd prefer if take) and idk how much those would be worth to you either.

I have no idea what I'm talking about or we wouldn't be in this mess so I don't know what's reasonable.

meatpimp posted:

and wow, this thread de-escalated rapidly.

I'm sorry :smith: In retrospect there are a number of points over the last couple of months where I should have re-evaluated my options rather than pressing on into a plan that had multiple months of time factored in when I only had, at best, weeks.

Terminus Est posted:

I'll give you 4 grand if you deliver the pile of parts installed in the van to Iowa! :q:

it'd probably cost me 4 grand just to get it to iowa at this point

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 8, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Someone buy the whole drat lot, then head over and finish the project.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Someone buy the whole drat lot, then head over and finish the project.

I would love this. It's not uncompletable. It's completely and totally achievable. It's just not going to be achievable in time for the 18th of august NEAI departure unless absolutely nothing at all goes remotely wrong which as we all know literally never happens

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't think there's any shame in realizing that you're in over your head and that it's better to quite while you still can.

You definitely attempted something most people would've ever thought of or attempted.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

literally a fish posted:

it'd probably cost me 4 grand just to get it to iowa at this point

That was my sad attempt at pushing you to finish the van.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'd still love to try and finish the van but it's become Schrodinger's Project; if we press on we need to drop at least another $1k and we still might not get it finished in time, or everything could go 100% smoothly (LOL). We're too close to the leaving date for NEAI to press on with this project, unfortunately.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So do you guys need rides to neai then?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Nah. I'm gonna craigslist a something - probably tahoe/yukon/similar - dad's asking my crazy uncle up in boston to handle selling it for me when i'm gone, even, though that's probably overkill.

It might provide almost as much thread content tbh :v: (E: and was the original plan before I got a grandiose vision in my head)

Don't worry guys we're still goin' to NEAI

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 8, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Now that you're buying an already-driving vehicle with an LS-ish motor, how about all the money that you get from sale of van parts turns into speed parts for the Tahoe? You could trick it out pretty well considering you don't have to worry about how the motor is going to mate with the vehicle, etc. Start with heads/cam/springs/headers, end up with FI or nitrous or something if you have a budget surplus!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Put the V8 motor in the new vehicle that you buy from Craigslist.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Put the V8 motor in the new vehicle that you buy from Craigslist.

A Tahoe will already have an appropriate motor, though. Unless you mean dual-engine? He could upgrade a 4.8 or 5.3 truck to a 6.0, I suppose.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
AIest Option:
https://smd.craigslist.org/cto/5717109636.html

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Do this.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Chiwie posted:

Do this.

Literally A Fish wont be the First Aussie I infected with the Corvair Itch.
Patient Zero originated from Brisbane, NSW. Patient once owned a 1964 Karmann Ghia. Patient now lives in Montreal and owns a 1962 Corvair Monza Club Coupe.

Chiwie posted:

Do this.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 8, 2016

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Comedy option: somebody post this thread to Roadkill's fb page and see if they're up for a last minute roadtrip.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Yeah I thought that this might be worth mentioning to Roadkill. Seems like the sort of thing they might go for.

Otherwise, I think you were originally planning on keeping the van LAF? I assume this because of the talk about turbo-ing it at a future date. Is there any way you can shelve the van for now to be revisited next year?

slothrop fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 8, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

slothrop posted:

Yeah I thought that this might be worth mentioning to Roadkill. Seems like the sort of thing they might go for.

Otherwise, I think you were originally planning on keeping the van LAF? I assume this because of the talk about turbo-ing it at a future date. Is there any way you can shelve the van for now to be revisited next year?

No

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Someone wants garage space.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

nm posted:

Someone wants garage space.

Don't forget, it doesn't even fit in the garage!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

ssjonizuka posted:

Don't forget, it doesn't even fit in the garage!

Which really should have been the point at which I stopped.

First of many.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
An expensive series of regrets around a vehicle seems pretty fuckin' AI to me.

Buy a Tahoe, have a great vacation, take a symbolic piece of the Van with you or get a tattoo or something.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ExecuDork posted:

Buy a Tahoe, have a great vacation, take a symbolic piece of the Van with you or get a tattoo or something.

Amen.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

That's rather... laconic of you

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is there a special reason why an actually-running van purchase is out of the question?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Is there a special reason why an actually-running van purchase is out of the question?

Too sane.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My votes on ambulance.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hearse

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

1976 Fleetwood Brougham D'elegance

Edit: aka the longest Cadillac ever made.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You can buy a used ambulance for like $3k.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ExecuDork posted:

My grandfather had a hood ornament in his leg from some horrible motorcycle crash in the late 30s, though I suspect any bike v. car you survived in the 30s as a motorcyclist was a "good" accident.
Ok, it was only part of one (I think it was a buick or caddy, but I don't recall exactly). It set off metal detectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

kastein posted:

That's rather... laconic of you

Thanks for the new word!

• Locked thread