Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

c0ldfuse posted:

Someone please explain these windows to me. How?

The uneven sides are meant to confuse attackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"I can't tell how many houses there are or what their heading is!" - Attackers

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Different floor heights in different rooms seems par for the course

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Alereon posted:

I found it interesting to learn that modern window AC units spray condensate over the condenser coils in order to benefit from evaporative cooling to the outside environment, which boosts the efficiency. The fan that blows over the condenser has little scoops on the blade tips that dip into the condensate pan to pick up water and hurl it over the coils. The area of the yard around my window AC stays very well watered from running it on humid days.

That's also a great way to deal with so many units installed with no thought for where the condensate will drain. Better a well-watered patch of lawn than a green line on the wall where water is always running

c0ldfuse posted:

Someone please explain these windows to me. How?

Maybe there's an interior wall between the windows. One of them might be at a stair landing. Maybe they positioned their new windows based on what furniture was in the room. Maybe people suck at building decisions.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Maybe people suck at building decisions.

haha

maybe.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think one window is in the hall and one is in a bedroom... but that doesn't make it ok.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The old window unit at my old house in New York would form icicles over humid cooler nights sometimes. That was weird.

Long Island is basically a swamp though. Now I live in a swamp with nice winters.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Crappy construction tale or mob hit?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

"Hey Jeff, let's step out on the patio and have a smoke.... no, you first, I insist"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xwing posted:

My experience in Florida is that's absolutely not true... the condensate line would never be sloped properly to drain. :aaaaa:

Every time I speak to someone about their AC commercial or residential they flood the pans on a regular basis because the lines are not sloped and then lack of maintenance compounds it.

I have a friend that lives in Southwest Ranches, house built in the early nineties. His condensate line backed up and flooded half his house, ruining two rooms worth of laminate flooring, that had been laid on top of carpet. Soggy laminate on top of soaked carpet, on top of a sea of waterlogged carpet padding. It was like a giant Petri dish. :wtc:

After pouring bleach into the condensate line, and then failing to blow it completely clear with compressed air, I had a hunch...

I measured with a plumbob from the opening of the condensate line to where the plumbob touched the bottom of the condensate line; A PVC 90°, IN THE SLAB. (The vertical runs directly into the slab.) I went outside and measured how far below the slab the condensate line exited.

After a bit of math, and making the blatant (and probably false) assumption that the slab is level, I found that the 3/8" PVC condensate line sloped UPWARDS nearly six inches over ~25ft.

:commissar:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait laminate on top of carpet? How is that even stable?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I have a friend that lives in Southwest Ranches, house built in the early nineties. His condensate line backed up and flooded half his house, ruining two rooms worth of laminate flooring, that had been laid on top of carpet. Soggy laminate on top of soaked carpet, on top of a sea of waterlogged carpet padding. It was like a giant Petri dish. :wtc:

:stonk: What do you even DO to fix that? Drain the water, then flood it again with bleach, then burn the house down and collect the insurance?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SynthOrange posted:

It was really thick laminate :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Buff Skeleton posted:

:stonk: What do you even DO to fix that? Drain the water, then flood it again with bleach, then burn the house down and collect the insurance?

Make a new drain line for the condensate, I'd guess. And yeah, strip out all of the floor down to the slab, and maybe replace the sole plate for the walls, and the lower parts of the wall studs, since they're probably hosed.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Also buy/beg/borrow/steal every fan you can to dry what you can't rip out, and dehumidifiers for the mold. Any flooring that isn't slab/tile is probably hosed, but if you get the water out fairly quickly you can salvage a lot.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Also, in the future, don't pour bleach in your condensate lines.

A hose blast is enough to clear out all the slime that forms in the line, and bleach is bad for the evap coils.

Not much that can be done if the line isn't sloped properly though. :v:

Time to run a new line!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Make a new drain line for the condensate, I'd guess. And yeah, strip out all of the floor down to the slab, and maybe replace the sole plate for the walls, and the lower parts of the wall studs, since they're probably hosed.
Nah, the studs are fine, just need to ventilate the walls or cut the drywall out at a certain height and let things dry out/throw some air blowers at everything.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Buff Skeleton posted:

No need to burn it; most homeowner's insurance covers condensate leaks.

SynthOrange posted:

I had a loss at a house where they laid a really thin laminate over w/w carpet & pad. I felt like I was drunk.

I just had a condensate pan leak issue that I traced down for the building owner. The side-draft furnace/AC was hung dead-level. Unfortunately, a little dust/cat hair/whatever clogging the line results in an overflow of the pan. I suggested that they re-pitch the unit a few degrees down at the drain end.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 8, 2016

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

PainterofCrap posted:

I had a loss at a house where they laid a really thin laminate over w/w carpet & pad. I felt like I was drunk.

I looked at a house a few years ago that had linoleum over carpet. Squishiest floor ever. It was so ripply that it looked like a puddle of water.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Don't worry apparently there are people out there to help you with installing flooring over carpet!

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/covering-up-the-ugly-rental-apartment-carpet-with-laminate-flooring-164872

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
I will never understand why so many renters are willing to spend money to make structural and cosmetic improvements on property they do not own.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It could possibly be related to the phenomenon of people wanting to like the place they live, but being unable to purchase a house for whatever reason.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Some of the Sheep posted:

I will never understand why so many renters are willing to spend money to make structural and cosmetic improvements on property they do not own.

because people generally dont like living in a shithole?
because landlords wont spend money on it?
because it doesnt cost much?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Because they’re snake people.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Frogmanv2 posted:

because it doesnt cost much?

No kidding. A 12 pack of annuals costs under :10bux:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I'm a fan of persuading/bullying the owner into reimbursing via a discount to rent any improvements made to the property. In the case of plumbing, landscaping, and pest/mold abatement, it's actually legally defensible! But that's just for my state (Washington) so don't go in guns ablazing because I said so.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Because the effective cost is so low compared to rent and the value is so high over time.

Let's say you're going to sign a two-year lease on an apartment. Pick one:

Unit A doesn't have in-unit laundry, so you're going to have to find a laundromat. It does have the world's ugliest light fixtures. The bathroom is pretty dingy; the floor is ancient tiles, discolored with a few broken, and lots of grimy grout. The showerhead is crappy builder-grade and there's not much storage. Rent is $1000/month.

Unit B has a portable washing machine. The light fixtures are just your taste, plus it has dimmer switches in the bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom also has a great fancy euro showerhead, and a clean new floor of those wood-look vinyl planks that can handle water and looks like the rest of the apartment. There are a couple of perfectly placed shelves. Rent is $1011/month.

All else being equal, who wouldn't go for Unit B? The thing is it's never on the market. Landlords will offer you Unit A, or they'll do the upgrades in Unit B plus bullshit like granite counters and then offer it for $2000/month. If you want B, you have to rent A and make the changes yourself. It's such a small amount that it's super worthwhile if you're going to stay for a couple years.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 9, 2016

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Same.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

I would never improve place i'm renting, only sectretly make it worse over the course of my lease (removing stuffing from the couch, knocking a hole in the dry wall and hiding trash in there and then re-sealing the dry wall, dumping buckets of water in the air conditioning duct work).

It's pretty hilarious and no one has ever noticed before

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Maybe it's an expensive city with a real estate bubble and rents are insane and house prices are even worse :911:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sagebrush posted:

It could possibly be related to the phenomenon of people wanting to like the place they live, but being unable to purchase a house for whatever reason.
Pretty much this. My landlords are nice people, it's a private rental situation rather than going through a company. They didn't want me to move out because they didn't want to have to deal with finding new tenants, so I'm paying less than I was in any of my previous apartments. I don't mind putting some money in to improving the house from time to time because some of it I'll actually get my money's worth out of and a lot of the rest will still make my day-to-day life better and I'm OK with the cost.

I spend $180/mo on internet service alone, I've spent maybe $1500 over the course of approaching three years now on things that'll stay with the house. It really doesn't matter in the big picture.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hey, look. It's a voltage drain.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Taking the water circuit/electric circuit analogy a bit too literally.

e: I have taken the liberty of creating a proposal for a symbol for such a construction, for all your schematic drawing needs.

"groundwater"

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 10, 2016

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Bad Munki posted:

"groundwater"

Genius.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I've got a customer at work who is having wooden posts on his lanai changed out for aluminum. We originally specified 3"x3" aluminum post, engineering is calling for 4"x4" with angle clips and/or internal castings with big-rear end loving screws into the concrete and 2"x6" wooden header to meet uplift from 160mph winds.

Now this loving idiot is telling our general contractor AND the engineer that did the drawings for the building permit that we're wrong, the engineering is wrong, this is how HE would do it. He with no loving construction experience, he's just worked with architects before and helped them with ideas.

:smithicide:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Is he saying it doesn't need to be that strong, or wants it stronger? Or just different?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
We're in a 140mph wind zone and our GC specified to the engineer that it be built to withstand 160mph...idiot customer doesn't think the post connections are robust enough and designed his own little dumbass thing with a .125-gauge gusset plate holding the posts to the header. We already have the permit based on the original engineering.

And the engineer that the customer emailed to say "hey you're wrong" is the one who's gonna lose his license if this thing is underbuilt and blows away in a hurricane. Yes, you're worth risking my license just to gently caress you over! :bang:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Some facebook DIY wtf tiling.

Let's jigsaw these 6 pieces all together with no gaps. Let's also not tape and mortar the gaps, just start slapping the 18x6 tiles right on top of it.

Hope they had fun doing it, because they will get to do it again in a few years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

"groundwater"

:master:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Hey, conduit = metal. Downspout = metal. At least he isn't exceeding the maximum number of conductors allowed. :science: