Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Kurieg posted:

Also: As Bobbin pointed out, his position was ludicrously exposed. The only reason Bobbin actually had to go up to the roof is because of his invincible plot armor.

I think the game's weird gameplay mechanics goes both ways; what I find the strangest is that it probably took several minutes for us to respond to the reports of shots fired yet the guy was still there firing at the bus, which was also still full of people for some reason. You'd think he'd have spent his ammo and taken off long ago but he's still there plugging away at it. I'm also no expert on firearms but a quick search about .45 caliber handguns shows that Cole's M1911A1 has an effective range of about 50 meters after which the bullets just begin flying everywhere, yet despite being on the other side of a courtyard firing at a target 6 stories up from around a corner while being shot ourselves, we're able to still fire with pinpoint accuracy.

The responding officers here would've been better off just firing randomly into the sky and we probably did as much damage as the assailant as bullets rained down on hapless people in the neighbourhood behind the building.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think the game's weird gameplay mechanics goes both ways; what I find the strangest is that it probably took several minutes for us to respond to the reports of shots fired yet the guy was still there firing at the bus, which was also still full of people for some reason. You'd think he'd have spent his ammo and taken off long ago but he's still there plugging away at it. I'm also no expert on firearms but a quick search about .45 caliber handguns shows that Cole's M1911A1 has an effective range of about 50 meters after which the bullets just begin flying everywhere, yet despite being on the other side of a courtyard firing at a target 6 stories up from around a corner while being shot ourselves, we're able to still fire with pinpoint accuracy.

The responding officers here would've been better off just firing randomly into the sky and we probably did as much damage as the assailant as bullets rained down on hapless people in the neighbourhood behind the building.

Standard mass produced handguns like a military M1911A1 mechanically have the accuracy to hit a man at up to 100 yards or more. The problem is:

A: Handguns have a very short distance between the front and rear sight, increasing the chance for parallax errors when firing at long distance (a movement of 1 millimeter can be the difference between a hit and a miss at long range even for rifles, and the close sights make it harder to tell if it's slightly off).

B: Handguns can't be pulled against the shoulder or easily rested on something like a wall to steady them, making them waver more.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
With the whole frameup thing, at that point why not just shoot Cole in the back of the head and say some drug dealer did it or something? That's what they do to actual good cops (Serpico et al).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Flesnolk posted:

With the whole frameup thing, at that point why not just shoot Cole in the back of the head and say some drug dealer did it or something? That's what they do to actual good cops (Serpico et al).

Because they're not trying to kill Cole. They're creating a bigger story for the media to latch onto while they quietly sweep their own garbage out of the rug and out of town. The city's golden boy actually not being all that great is perfect for that cause now the public can feel betrayed.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

They're not trying to kill Cole. I don't think any of them have any actual beef with Cole at all, he's just a scapegoat to turn the attention of the media to to distract from the larger corruption.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Why the gently caress did Courtney Sheldon actually request an interview with Cole, only to be completely vague and uncooperative until Cole starts threatening to pin it on Jack?

This case is an unbelievable mess. After an entire game of Kelso and Sheldon only existing in the margins, suddenly they have to hop on the ride, Cole's affair gets far too little foreshadowing before it's dropped into the player's lap... I really wish they'd gone with a secretly gay Cole instead.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Garrand posted:

They're not trying to kill Cole. I don't think any of them have any actual beef with Cole at all, he's just a scapegoat to turn the attention of the media to to distract from the larger corruption.

"Funeral for hero cop" might be a better media distraction than a ham-fisted adultery story that, as pointed out in this thread, people should probably just be rolling their eyes at.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
"Funeral for hero cop" makes the public demand that the police force catch the responsible people and clean the streets. Which they do not want to do.

"Hero cop in scandal is fired" makes it seem like they are actually cleaning up the department and that they don't even tolerate adultery, as common as it was at that time. So it makes more sense for a cover-up.

As for Courtney, he strikes me as the kind of guy who always thinks he can come up on top, no matter what.

Just look at how things went out of control for his morphine plan: He thought he and his pals deserved more than a G.I. Bill, so they stole the morphine. But since they don't know poo poo about selling drugs, he turned it to Cohen, thinking that the nice gangster dude will responsibly dole out the right doses. And when that went bad, he tried to strong-arm his way out of it, but ended up causing all the mayhem in this mission. And when he realizes he has to go to the law, he still thinks he can make a deal.

He's a dumb-rear end who thinks he's more clever than anyone else, but when it blows up in his face it's always someone else's fault: Uncle Sam for not giving them more money, Cohen's for not caring about the addicts, the gangster's for not lying down and accepting his threats.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
On a more positive note, I rewatched that moment Cole's hat turns inside out like four times.

The dude on the ground saying a few last words caught me off guard, I'd totally forgotten about that. I thought his model was glitching out at first.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Same here about dying guy. It's really jarring because the rest of his body below the neck is board-stiff, you'd expect at least a little bit of slight breathing animation.

It's kind of a shame they didn't better characterize Cole's family and affair(?), because I do feel like that could've potentially been an impactful twist if it weren't for the fact we have next to no context for it.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
it's still amazing how much of a loving idiot Courtney Sheldon is

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Courtney hates Cole for not living up to his expectation of what a marine should be, but he gets way more people killed than Cole ever did.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Well, I was playing the recent game This Is The Police, haven't gotten very far in it, but so far it's pretty much right up there with L A Noire in terms of that Noir feeling and style, though it's 70's-80's instead of 40's-50's

Figured I'd go ahead and recommend it here for folks who have beaten the game but want to play some more Noir stuff, the links to the thread for it.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 8, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

And so begins the final act(s).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
With all the heat Cole's taking, I'm kind of sorry the R&I lady didn't answer with "what do you want, ya no good two-timin' bum?"

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
You guessed right in that the pamphlets in the locker are lifted from real-world material. Pierre Kropotkin, also known as Peter Kropotkin or Prince Pyotr Alexeyevich Kropotkin, was a Russian activist who was a major proponent of anarchism. You can read the whole of Law and Authority here, if you're so inclined.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
That's my favorite suit in the game, I just like going coatless.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Oh that Biggs glitch. 360 era Rockstar at it's finest

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Notes:

- "Phelps is up for a review board in December". Considering the pace of his career up til now, that is a veritable eternity. Once again, you'd think his suspension would last until then.
- McKelty is a Captain. For some reason, the Vice Desk is the only one where a Lieutenant rather than a Captain does briefings and gives orders.
- The Steffens family allegedly includes three children, but they are nowhere to be seen either around the house or in the car.
- The ticket to Catalina Island gives the departure as friday 19th of September, the same day Ryan serviced the heater. Presumably this case takes place on the following monday, the 22nd.
- The Sawyers supposedly suffocated in their sleep, but their clothes do not seem like sleepwear (the girl is wearing a skirt and socks).
- Wouldn't it be prudent to investigate the other families who won tickets, see if they have had offers from the redevelopment fund or suffered house fires?
- This delayed ignition thing is strange. Apparently the ember of a slowly burning cigarette or coil will not ignite the gas spreading inside the heater, but the flame from a book of matches set off by the same ember will? Also, would a heater full of gas exploding necessarily ignite the entire house immediately? Or if the house is filled with gas, would there really be enough from the gas source to make the concentration inside dangerous?
- Biggs tells Phelps about his experiences in WWI in the next case. The fact that the driving banter mentions it even though Phelps has no reason to know about it is an indicator that the developers messed up the timeline. The events probably happened in a different order in a earler stage of development and as we have seen at many previous points they couldn't keep the plot points consistent.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

- This delayed ignition thing is strange. Apparently the ember of a slowly burning cigarette or coil will not ignite the gas spreading inside the heater, but the flame from a book of matches set off by the same ember will? Also, would a heater full of gas exploding necessarily ignite the entire house immediately? Or if the house is filled with gas, would there really be enough from the gas source to make the concentration inside dangerous?

Mythbusters did this one. They dropped a cigarette in a pool of gasoline, but the embers were too cool and the cigarette just went out. They then dropped a lit match in the pool and it went right up. Flames burn at different temperatures, and one that can light a match might not light natural gas.

As for what a natural gas leak can do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlGdvO1G790

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Kopijeger posted:

- Biggs tells Phelps about his experiences in WWI in the next case. The fact that the driving banter mentions it even though Phelps has no reason to know about it is an indicator that the developers messed up the timeline. The events probably happened in a different order in a earler stage of development and as we have seen at many previous points they couldn't keep the plot points consistent.

Phelps does mention at the beginning of the mission that he heard Biggs was the "strong, silent type." It wouldn't be too surprising in that with his meteoric rise and subsequent fall, that Phelps would've heard at least a little bit about his fellow officers either from others, or by looking through case files and background checks like the weird nerd that he is.

That's excusing the sloppy writing and inconsistent plot points, of course. But it's at least plausible.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Biggs. :allears:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
My dad was a fire fighter, and he's come home after recovering bodies from fires. He's not a video game kinda guy, but when I asked him to look over my shoulder when walking around the crime scene and give his impressions, he did not stick around when I looked at the bodies.

So yeah, Rocksteady did do their research in both the good and bad ways.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Oh that Biggs glitch. 360 era Rockstar at it's finest

I played on the PS3 and the exact same thing happened to me.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Bobbin plays the PC version, though. Don't remember it happening when I played the game.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm liking Biggs already. Like the coroner (?) said (who is also pretty likeable), he's firm, but fair. Doesn't give a poo poo about Phelps's wife or girlfriend or whatever, just wants to do a good job. Doesn't want a partner, but since he has one, might as well not be a dick about it. And it helps that he's knowledgeable (the line about the grief in her eyes in the first house), without Rusty's presumptions.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kopijeger posted:

Bobbin plays the PC version, though. Don't remember it happening when I played the game.

L.A. Noire is a buggy barely-functioning mess, no matter which platform you're playing it on.

I think the only Rockstar game I've played that's more buggy is Red Dead Redemption. Such a shame that game will never see a PC release.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I love it whenever a game bugs out and someone is in the civilian pose. :allears:

What's exactly odd with the mosquito coils, Bobbin? They look exactly like the ones in Australia to me (possibly the inspiration) and even bundled the same way, in twos.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Man you can really hear the energy has been squeezed out of Cole since he got demoted in his actors performance. Its very impressive.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I find it funny that Cole's partner in Arson would go on to be the Burned Man :haw:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Delacroix posted:

I love it whenever a game bugs out and someone is in the civilian pose. :allears:

What's exactly odd with the mosquito coils, Bobbin? They look exactly like the ones in Australia to me (possibly the inspiration) and even bundled the same way, in twos.

I've never seen them bundled in twos like that in the US, they're normally separated.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Mythbusters did this one. They dropped a cigarette in a pool of gasoline, but the embers were too cool and the cigarette just went out. They then dropped a lit match in the pool and it went right up. Flames burn at different temperatures, and one that can light a match might not light natural gas.

As for what a natural gas leak can do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlGdvO1G790

That's downright tame for some natural gas explosions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4iqiZOuAxM

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Delacroix posted:

Don't know why people keep bringing this up. I only said they look kind of funny because I've never seen a mosquito coil in real life. All I've seen in my neck of the woods is bug spray, candles, and the occasional zapper.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Don't know why people keep bringing this up. I only said they look kind of funny because I've never seen a mosquito coil in real life. All I've seen in my neck of the woods is bug spray, candles, and the occasional zapper.

This led to an interesting tangent:

Wikipedia posted:

Mosquito coils are widely used in Asia, Africa, South America and Australia.

quote:

Pyrethrum was used for centuries as an insecticide in Persia and Europe, and the mosquito coil was developed around the 1890s by a Japanese business man, Eiichiro Ueyama. At that time in Japan, people usually mixed pyrethrum powder with sawdust and burned it in a brazier or incense burner to repel mosquitoes. Initially, Ueyama created incense sticks mixed from starch powder, dried mandarin orange skin powder, and pyrethrum powder. However, the bar-shaped mosquito sticks quickly burned up in about 40 minutes, too brief for a long repelling action. In 1895, his wife Yuki proposed making the sticks thicker and longer, and curling them in spirals. In 1902, after a series of trials and errors, he finally obtained the desired incense burning effect out of a spiral-shaped mosquito repellent. The method involved cutting from a thick bar of incense to a certain length and manually winding it. This method continued to be used until 1957, where mass production was made possible through machine punching, making a far larger manufacturing scale possible. After the Second World War, his company, Dainihon Jochugiku Co. Ltd, set up joint-venture firms in various countries, such as China and Thailand, to produce products suited to local conditions.

A Japanese product that was not yet in mass production in 1947 (plus, the two intertwined coils we see in the game are likely not possible to do without machine punching)...this might be another Australianism/anachronism that snuck into the game. Googling "Moz-Kill" only leads to references to the game.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 9, 2016

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

achillesforever6 posted:

I find it funny that Cole's partner in Arson would go on to be the Burned Man :haw:

I'd never made the connection before now - loved his work in New Vegas. I could listen to that man speak for hours.

Nothing much to add that hasn't been discussed but the attention to detail (historically inaccurate mosquito coils aside) is one of the reasons I love this desk. We'll be seeing more on the birth of Suburbia through much of this desk and will have a lot more to look at before we're done.

Also Bobbin, some looks never go out of style:

I, personally, would never wear suspenders though. I just think they look bad, belt or no.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Really enjoying this LP, though this game looks like an overwrought piece of poo poo made by an egomaniac.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

achillesforever6 posted:

I know they wanted Biggs to be the old loner cop so he couldn't be a WWII soldier but Keith Szarabajka has a good set of lungs from all the yelling he did in Company of Heroes. Coincidentally another game with Brandon Keener in the cast (who most people recognise as Garrus in Mass Effect).

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I, personally, would never wear suspenders though. I just think they look bad, belt or no.

As a fella who does wear suspenders sans belt, because his weird body doesn't have much of a waist or rear end to hold a belt... I'm not gonna say gently caress you, but I find this hurtful. I think it looks quite dashing.

But yeah, Biggs is a good guy, and comes across as balm from heaven after Cole's setbacks.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I tried a mosquito coil once while camping and it did poo poo. Bug zappers are more effective and also provide endless entertainment (especially when it gets a big one.)

Delacroix posted:

I know they wanted Biggs to be the old loner cop so he couldn't be a WWII soldier but Keith Szarabajka has a good set of lungs from all the yelling he did in Company of Heroes. Coincidentally another game with Brandon Keener in the cast (who most people recognise as Garrus in Mass Effect).

Szarabajka was also the voice of Harbinger. And apparently the Nug Wranger in DA:O as well, I hated that sidequest :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

resurgam40 posted:

As a fella who does wear suspenders sans belt, because his weird body doesn't have much of a waist or rear end to hold a belt... I'm not gonna say gently caress you, but I find this hurtful. I think it looks quite dashing.

But yeah, Biggs is a good guy, and comes across as balm from heaven after Cole's setbacks.

If they work for you that's great - but for me it just looks... dated, I guess you could say? Which is odd because I love mid-20th Century fashions and I find it a shame that casual suits and overcoats have fallen out of mainstream fashion, and that wearing any 'formal' headwear now makes you look like a dipshit hipster (fedoras, which look great with suits, are now pretty much off limits). Suspenders just somehow make anyone who wears them look older, more worn out. I sympathize with you on having hard to shop for clothing requirements though; I have wide feet and it's a bitch trying to find shoes that look good and fit properly.

Biggs though is not the same as our previous partners, all of whom also resisted Cole when they first met with the exception of Earle who saw opportunity, in that he was pretty much in the sunset of his career. His about face from telling Cole to piss off in the morning to stepping in to defend him by the evening is either a great example of the effect Cole has on people or some really bizarre writing. I'd like to think that Biggs was just another tired old man who's been jaded by years of life experience and started to resent the younger, more 'successful' people around him until Cole's little speech in the car where he told him he was going to get to the bottom of what was going on just to spite everyone who's laughing at him brought a spark back to Bigg's life.

monster on a stick posted:

I tried a mosquito coil once while camping and it did poo poo. Bug zappers are more effective and also provide endless entertainment (especially when it gets a big one.)

Szarabajka was also the voice of Harbinger. And apparently the Nug Wranger in DA:O as well, I hated that sidequest :argh:
The world of voice acting seems to be pretty small at times and people can pop up all over the place, especially if they're popular. Brandon Keener is pretty great but to me he will now always be Garrus Vakarian, which makes it pretty weird in any other games he shows up in when I immediately picture them as a turian detective.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 10, 2016

• Locked thread