Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

H13 posted:

Quick question:

Just got myself a Samsung Galaxy S7. It's awful pretty. I put in the SD card which was in my Sony Xperia which has all my music on it.

The Galaxy can't seem to read the card. When I plug in my phone and explore it on my PC, it comes up blank, even though it registers that <X> amount of space has been used.

Solutions?

Does the Xperia use adoptable storage? If that's the case as far as I know you'd have to put the card back into that phone to get your data off the card then format it once you get it back into your S7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Reminders are the same across all Google services. A Keep reminder is a Now reminder is a Calendar reminder. Once one is created it should appear in all of them.

Not exactly. While a Keep reminder (actually a note with a reminder) will show up in Now and Calendar, a reminder set with Now will show up in Calendar, but not in Keep (because it's just a reminder not a note!).

That's how it works on my Nexus 5X at least, maybe there's a hidden setting somewhere that changes that? It wouldn't surprise me!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrThief posted:

Not exactly. While a Keep reminder (actually a note with a reminder) will show up in Now and Calendar, a reminder set with Now will show up in Calendar, but not in Keep (because it's just a reminder not a note!).

That's how it works on my Nexus 5X at least, maybe there's a hidden setting somewhere that changes that? It wouldn't surprise me!

Correct, reminders created with an association are not visible in apps without that association. Another example would be a reminder created in Inbox (those require an association with an email). But that's also why what he wants to do won't work. Just creating a generic reminder renders it visible in two places to my knowledge: within Now and in Inbox under Reminders. If the reminder has a time associated with it then it will appear in Calendar (it will also appear here once the reminder is marked Done but that doesn't help much). Keep though will only show reminders associated with notes and weirdly only show them while they are pending.

A lot of words to say that what he wants just isn't possible. Keep's reminders section only shows reminders based off notes but Keep's reminders aren't different from any other Google reminders, they show in all the other places reminders show. I can see the pretzel logic Google used to make it this way but that doesn't make it comprehensible. The only thing he can do is accept that Now is where reminders "live" and visibility in other apps are dependent upon Google thinking that those reminders are pertinent to the app in question.

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

LastInLine posted:

*Thorough explanation about Google's stupid logic*
I had actually forgotten you can set reminders through Inbox, and that's an app I use daily!

You are right though, he should just accept that somehow reminders only live on Google Now and if they show up in another app that's a bonus.

Would it be that difficult though for Google to implement a "Reminder API" of sorts (full disclosure; I know very little about programming) so that all apps that support reminders actually show each other's reminders?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yes, because then people might use things that aren't Google Now.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Am I gonna regret getting the 810 6p over one of the 820 phones for the same $? In re: Pokémon GO, battery life and overheating

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Captain Yossarian posted:

Am I gonna regret getting the 810 6p over one of the 820 phones for the same $? In re: Pokémon GO, battery life and overheating

I'd imagine if there's a regret to be had it would be that you'd be losing a year of support over waiting for the next Nexus which is due imminently.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The only regret I'd feel there, is that I'd be playing Pokemon Go.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

The only regret I'd feel there, is that I'd be playing Pokemon Go.

Yeah, sure does suck to enjoy things. Especially popular things, ugh.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, sure does suck to enjoy things. Especially popular things, ugh.

Yeah, if there's one thing this world needed, it's yet another reason to have people glued to their phones oblivious of the world around them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a shared album on Google Photos. My wife is on it, as well as several members of both of our families. My wife and I both get notifications when photos are added, but at least a couple members of her family don't get the notifications. Any ideas why that might not be working?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I know its almost unbelievable that a thing is both popular and good but such is life! Thanks for your input, it's more me not being satisfied with my Nexus 6's camera then anything else (also that horseshit connection drop issue)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, if there's one thing this world needed, it's yet another reason to have people glued to their phones oblivious of the world around them.

I was just yelling this same thing at a cl☁️ud recently!

Captain Yossarian posted:

I know its almost unbelievable that a thing is both popular and good but such is life! Thanks for your input, it's more me not being satisfied with my Nexus 6's camera then anything else (also that horseshit connection drop issue)

I'm good with the quality, but good god is it agonizingly slow.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

The almighty calm down has come to a verdict. No more making new phone apps, it was nice while it lasted but now it's over. The world doesn't need them anymore.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pertplus posted:

The almighty calm down has come to a verdict. No more making new phone apps, it was nice while it lasted but now it's over. The world doesn't need them anymore.

Lol if you dislike something popular, just lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Reminders are the same across all Google services. A Keep reminder is a Now reminder is a Calendar reminder. Once one is created it should appear in all of them.

Unfortunately I don't get reminded in Keep when I create the reminder using my voice. The reason this is an issue for me is I do not like the way Google Now Reminders works. In my notification menu, if I am using Keep, I have it so that each reminder shows up as its own line. This is very useful because I often have one reminder at a time. I can hit "remind in 1 hour" on ones I don't care about right now.

When I turn on voice activation for reminders, it no longer does this since it doesn't use Keep. If I have more than 1 reminder, my notification menu will just say "GOOGLE NOW: 5 NEW REMINDERS". It won't show me them individually in the notification menu, and it won't even show me their contents like Google Keep's notification will.

So in short, it seems as though I am stuck choosing between getting the notifications the way I want but I cannot make voice reminders, or make voice reminders but not get the notifications the way I want. I was wondering if there was some way to use Keep with voice control instead of Google Now. I hope this makes sense!

edit: it's a Nexus 5X if it matters.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 8, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Unfortunately I don't get reminded in Keep when I create the reminder using my voice. The reason this is an issue for me is I do not like the way Google Now Reminders works. In my notification menu, if I am using Keep, I have it so that each reminder shows up as its own line. This is very useful because I often have one reminder at a time. I can hit "remind in 1 hour" on ones I don't care about right now.

When I turn on voice activation for reminders, it no longer does this since it doesn't use Keep. If I have more than 1 reminder, my notification menu will just say "GOOGLE NOW: 5 NEW REMINDERS". It won't show me them individually in the notification menu, and it won't even show me their contents like Google Keep's notification will.

So in short, it seems as though I am stuck choosing between getting the notifications the way I want but I cannot make voice reminders, or make voice reminders but not get the notifications the way I want. I was wondering if there was some way to use Keep with voice control instead of Google Now. I hope this makes sense!

edit: it's a Nexus 5X if it matters.

You can't do what you want, at least not all the way. Best you can do is invoke Keep by saying "Ok Google, make a note in Keep" then describing the note and finally applying a reminder to that. (I think you can also specify Keep as the default note-taking app and just saying "Make a note"). I doubt you can do it all the way with voice though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Why am I surprised that Google has three different reminder systems?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

You can't do what you want, at least not all the way. Best you can do is invoke Keep by saying "Ok Google, make a note in Keep" then describing the note and finally applying a reminder to that. (I think you can also specify Keep as the default note-taking app and just saying "Make a note"). I doubt you can do it all the way with voice though.

Ah that is too bad. Honestly I really like the way Keep handles notifications so I will have to stick with that and just live without being able to set them with my voice. Kind of unfortunate.

Uthor posted:

It's very weird. I can use Keep just fine, but as soon as I try to make a reminder by voice control, it tells me I have to use the Google Now thing instead. But Google Now isn't needed when I use my voice for making phone calls or sending texts so I am not quite sure I get it.

If there is a way around it with root, I am all ears!

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Sorry if this had been talked about, I went back a few pages and didn't see anything. What's everybody's take on the Superbook? Certainly looks pretty neat on their video and it's about half the price of a decent Chromebook.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

waxluthor posted:

Sorry if this had been talked about, I went back a few pages and didn't see anything. What's everybody's take on the Superbook? Certainly looks pretty neat on their video and it's about half the price of a decent Chromebook.

As with all tech kickstarters I'll believe it when they actually ship something

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Superbook? (I'm pretty sure we has episode 14 on VHS as a kid.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

waxluthor posted:

First of all, the price is far too low. If there's anything that should be obvious to anyone who's handled a Chromebook or two, there's a reason the decent Chromebooks are $300: you're paying for the materials and build quality. You want a decent keyboard, trackpad, and screen and those cost money.

Second, what is everyone's obsession with combining x & y when there's absolutely no benefit to doing so? Why yes, I definitely want a laptop that's useless without my phone! No, it's the same price as a laptop that would work fine without my phone but this one only works when connected to my phone! My favorite part is the way it runs Android apps formatted poorly instead of web software and also that it has an ARM chip burning through the battery as fast as possible! Why would anyone want this when a Chromebook would literally do everything it can do better?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

As with all tech kickstarters I'll believe it when they actually ship something

They did ship something before - a dock that did the same thing, but was a dock instead of laptop, and required a phone with MHL. I wonder how that was to use, though. Could give an indication.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cheers for the suggestions about the SD card. It was toast. Couldn't format it or do anything with it. Got a new one and life is good. I always back up my music so I didn't lose anything.

What I'm keen for is a way to transfer files from my PC to the SD card in my phone via WiFi. I tried Wifi file transfer but it couldn't access the SD card. Any suggestions?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mr. Powers posted:

Superbook? (I'm pretty sure we has episode 14 on VHS as a kid.)

Around here, a Superbook is a large book full of coupons for local businesses, but it costs like $40 to get one.

I think I'd rather have the coupons than that laptop thing.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

waxluthor posted:

Didn't Motorola already try and fail to do this with the Atrix?

Granted, it was 2011, but it was still a product nobody was asking for.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

azurite posted:

asus tried with the padfone also

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

azurite posted:

The problem Motorola had was that the Lapdock only worked with a few phones, and in 2011, most of Motorola's phones were Verizon exclusives. This thing we're discussing purports to work with any Android phone. Just working with Samsung phones would be enough to give it a chance. It just depends on 1) how well the final product works, and 2) how well it is marketed.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

.nomedia file in the folder??

Just an update, there was a .nomedia file in the root of the storage directory for some reason. I don't have one on my phone, so I dunno what put it there for her. Anyway, it seems that that was keeping Photos from seeing anything except for a couple exceptions: Instagram, Screenshots and Beam. Nothing else was showing up before, and now new stuff added does show up. Older photos that are still in those directories are still MIA though. Good enough, I guess. :psyduck:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

My Nexus 6 on T-Mobile got the August 5th Security update, GPS + LTE/GPRS works fine now. Pokemon Go, Waze, etc. Huzzah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure a $150 screen, keyboard, and trackpad will look and feel great and not at all be unusable trash like every $300 laptop out there!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, there are a few chomebooks in that price range that are usable build quality.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Eh, there are a few chomebooks in that price range that are usable build quality.

This is the truth. Some of the $300 Chromebooks rival my MacBook Air in terms of feel and trackpad accuracy (none have a glass trackpad as far as I'm aware but as new they function flawlessly--much better than any Windows trackpad I've ever used). Even the Asus we picked up on Prime Day for my girlfriend's mother for $130 was surprisingly robust, much better than the older Asus Chromebooks.

The problem with the idea still comes back to the same thing. Chromebooks can run Android apps but they're also stellar laptops. They're also supported for a long-rear end time, work flawlessly and are widely available and now really good on battery, build quality, and usability and they're cheap as gently caress. So why again would anyone not get one if this is the kind of thing that would interest them? There's no upside and it's all downside.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The idea is; take a nice chromebook, subtract the cost of the processor/memory/connectivity from the price because you're offloading all that onto the phone people already have.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The trackpad and keyboard on my dad's Toshiba Chromebook are excellent, pretty similar to my work Macbook Pro, could happily use them all day. Windows trackpads are all garbage but mostly because the OS is still somehow not designed with trackpads in mind.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's really a solution in search of a problem.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Uthor posted:

Don't worry I'm sure they will retire the 2 that are good and then remove features from the remaining one

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MikeJF posted:

The idea is; take a nice chromebook, subtract the cost of the processor/memory/connectivity from the price because you're offloading all that onto the phone people already have.

At the end of the day though, a significant portion of the BOM is going to be display, battery, and physical enclosure. These SoCs are cheap now.

The other significant cost part is the R&D, but most manufacturers can have some amount of reuse in mainboard and chassis across product lines to defray some cost.

There just isn't a ton of cost to extract by having the phone do the heavy lifting anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

Don't worry I'm sure they will retire the 2 that are good and then remove features from the remaining one

Don't forget adding three more that offer varying coverage of features.