Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Strong Female Protagonist: self-righteous indignation and smug condescension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Libertarian guy is going for a hat trick at this point.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It seems ham handed until you actually have run into it in real life. Yes, there are totally people like this and they do this poo poo.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Grognan posted:

It seems ham handed until you actually have run into it in real life. Yes, there are totally people like this and they do this poo poo.

True but it kills the story's tone and pacing dead

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If you're a guy and you're trying to get into the pants of one of the most recogizable and popular women in the entire world, you generally do not lead in with a paraphrase from Atlas Shrugged or whatever :shrug: The whole thing comes across as "gosh those rich people sure are dicks aren't they" and not, like a flirtatious conversation between a guy (even a bliffy rich douche) and a girl he wants to bang.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Grognan posted:

That's the difference between fiction and real life. Fiction's supposed to make sense.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seriously, I get that the writer doesn't want to drag it out because he thinks in stereotypes, but this sort of guy would know how to fake it for a while, pass as normal and charming, and come out with his awful personal views later, once the other person starts to actually like him. This is just reminding me of that cartoon by Shmorky.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean it's kind of like how Patrick is handled, their behavior doesn't make any sense unless they never ever talked to other human beings/actually have Asperger's syndrome. Is Max supposed to be some kind of virgin weirdo who grew up in a test tube and never talked to a real live girl before? If he is, fine, but if he's supposed to be a jet setting college age rich dude he would have run this patter past a dozen other girls before and had it flop terribly with at east a few, if not most.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

rotinaj posted:

this sort of guy would know how to fake it for a while, pass as normal and charming, and come out with his awful personal views later, once the other person starts to actually like him.

Technically, that's exactly what happened.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Air is lava! posted:

Technically, that's exactly what happened.

Dude passed for an afternoon and the first ten minutes of a dinner date. He needs to work on his chill.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DONT YOU EVER TELL ME THAT I NEED TO WORK on my chill

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I felt a sense of dread when I opened the comic, and it was somehow worse than expected.

Authors, you don't need to invoke Feral to show us that this guy's opinions are bad. We get it! Allison literally threatened a crowd of people over this on national TV! What possible point is there to going "Well, is Feral really as generous as you think??"

Warmachine posted:

[...]the messages couldn't get more ham handed if they were actually hams. :btroll:

Parahexavoctal posted:

I do like how she referred to Cleaver as "my friend Daniel".

The best part on this terrible page.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Comic will be redeemed if first panel next page is Douchbag's head, exact same expression, several miles in the air.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I think it would be fine if the next scene is her telling Daniel all about it and them laughing at what a trainwreck it was.

I want Cleaver to be the voice of reason in this comic.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
"I told you you shoulda let me cut him in half!" "Don't think I wasn't tempted..."

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Well, she did tell Daniel/Cleaver that she could totally stuff every Ayn Rand fanatic into a big mason jar and hurl them into the sun. Exact words, I think.

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-3/page-74/

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Whenever people link back to when this comic was amazing, it always makes me sad at how much it doesn't live up to itself anymore. :smith:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
OK, that was a pretty good comeback.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I wanted a huge stupid month long trainwreck, slowly building up a strawman followed by another month of righteous indignation from Allison and the writer.

A reasonable response is very underwhelming.

Now I'm also wondering what the point of the 15 or so pages Max and Allison shared was. She didn't seem to change at all, he turned out to be exactly as shallow as everyone thought he'd be. I guess the comic is going for a beauty and goodness is on the inside moral, narratively connecting a rich pretty rear end in a top hat with a bunch of poor ugly Good Folk, but that seems really trite.

Getting back to the monster people should be good at least. They were interesting.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I'm not sure where the nice guy pining for Allison fits in either.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well that escalated quickly

e: maybe he'll follow her in his helicopter, he actually can fly

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have to admit, that was a much better move than I had anticipated at this point.

As for what all this was for, I guess we can consider Max a sort of disposable fling? She was scared of actually getting involved with anyone, but she took a risk, had a couple dates, and while this guy is a douche she maybe overcame that fear and now she'll be chiller about starting other relationships?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I'm glad that ended.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
How long until people start defending his statement?

Also I'm a little disappointed that the only thing she did was fly away, at least fly through the top of the Gazebo.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That would only create more work for his staff to have to do before they can go home, though. :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically he's right, it's just that the main thing Feral gets is satisfaction from knowing that she did good. Also, she's doing it in lieu of jail time for that man she killed, so there's that.

Allison has a hard enough time with philosophy, I hope she never tries to wrap her brain around economics.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nah, his logic is circular. "She can't do a thing for selfless reasons, therefore she must have a selfish reason, therefore it's not selfless." It relies on the assumption that there's no such thing as a 100% purely selfless action, which is getting all randian.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Friends did that argument better and they played it for laughs.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
There is something that Feral - whose given name I still don't actually know - gets out of what she's doing: philosophic certitude. Her life is currently extraordinarily difficult and painful, but it has been stripped of all uncertainty and ambiguity as to whether she is doing the right thing. Every second she's enduring this, she is keenly, profoundly aware that what she is doing is incredibly virtuous by any coherent measure. That's clearly worth a lot to her.

But to say that makes her actions less altruistic is... well, date-endingly rude, certainly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Nah, his logic is circular. "She can't do a thing for selfless reasons, therefore she must have a selfish reason, therefore it's not selfless." It relies on the assumption that there's no such thing as a 100% purely selfless action, which is getting all randian.

Yeah it's pretty blatant that he has no idea what the word "altruism" means, or has consciously discarded it. I can't really believe any person who is not totally nuts would talk to a girl they're trying to hook up with ("Your friend that you just told me is the most selfless person you've ever known is actually totally selfish because blah blah blah"). Even if he's a raging Randroid It just doesn't make sense for him to talk to a romantic prospect like that unless he is seriously emotionally defective. Even if he doesn't respect empathy at all he'd still pretend he does so he can gently caress her, to put it bluntly :shrug:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Right next to the class Allison abandoned.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flesh Forge posted:

unless he is seriously emotionally defective

and/or the writer is

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well it's a pretty regular recurring theme with the comic, so yeah, maybe.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Stormgale posted:

She'll find him making nice guy MRA rants and go become a lesbian or something :shrug: Probably murder some rapists with invisible girl.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

There is something that Feral - whose given name I still don't actually know - gets out of what she's doing: philosophic certitude. Her life is currently extraordinarily difficult and painful, but it has been stripped of all uncertainty and ambiguity as to whether she is doing the right thing. Every second she's enduring this, she is keenly, profoundly aware that what she is doing is incredibly virtuous by any coherent measure. That's clearly worth a lot to her.

But to say that makes her actions less altruistic is... well, date-endingly rude, certainly.

I find that when people use the word "technically" in discussions about altruism/self-sacrifice/etc. what follows is rude and obtuse in any setting.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah it's pretty blatant that he has no idea what the word "altruism" means, or has consciously discarded it. I can't really believe any person who is not totally nuts would talk to a girl they're trying to hook up with ("Your friend that you just told me is the most selfless person you've ever known is actually totally selfish because blah blah blah"). Even if he's a raging Randroid It just doesn't make sense for him to talk to a romantic prospect like that unless he is seriously emotionally defective. Even if he doesn't respect empathy at all he'd still pretend he does so he can gently caress her, to put it bluntly :shrug:

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. What the gently caress is even happening with this guy? Either the author is bad at writing a man who wants to get into her pants (I suppose this is the likely option) or this clown is really clumsily trying to turn the most powerful person on Earth to his way of thinking - and he's doing a poo poo job and how would you possibly think she'd be receptive to this randian bullshit? Like, what detail of her televised career would indicate to you that Feral is the button to push? It's just asinine.

poo poo, at least Cleaver has some coherent reason for thinking most people are kinda lovely at heart. What was it, "if most people were good, I would have killed a lot of good people." I bought that. I suspended my disbelief and accepted that an embittered, sword-armed hulk had difficulty adopting Allison's optimistic outlook because it comes with a heaping helping of guilt. Yeah, "you're the only good person in the world" was hamfisted at the time, but y'know, cost of doing business, I guess.

Meanwhile people like this clown just want to believe everyone can chose the right things that lead to success because they refuse to believe that their starting circumstances in any way gave them an advantage, so they never ever have to feel a twinge of sympathy for anyone who isn't as well off. And I can't tell if this guy is so socially defective he has to talk about this at all times or if the authors are just hamfisted as gently caress, again. Even a sociopath in his situation would probably say something closer to what gets him results and not talk about how doing good things isn't actually self-less because ... making yourself a good person in the eyes of others is the point and not the side-effect, ergo selfish??

TheTofuShop posted:

I think it would be fine if the next scene is her telling Daniel all about it and them laughing at what a trainwreck it was.

I want Cleaver to be the voice of reason in this comic.

Basically I want this.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 10, 2016

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well at least it was over with quickly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

ManlyGrunting posted:

Well at least it was over with quickly.

Just wait- Moonshine is going to kill date guy and we're going to repeat the infinichapter all over again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There is no point of the book and I pretty much view panels with no context to any overall story but just something with pictures and dialogues. Maybe it's just meant to be indecipherable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Discendo Vox posted:

Just wait- Moonshine is going to kill date guy and we're going to repeat the infinichapter all over again.

Maybe next chapter'll start off like this chapter did, with one panel of Alison watching TV, seeing libertarian guy's corpse and thinking "finally"

• Locked thread