Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

hyperhazard posted:

What kind of sociopath thinks apologizing for killing hundreds of thousands of civilians is "hosed up"? Jesus, man, we haven't been at war with Japan for 70 years. Let it go.

It's never about context. It's always about who's doing it.
Bush could have done the same thing without any complaints. Obama? DURN APPOLOJIZZER!!!

Edit: Here's a link to Obama's speech in Hiroshima. How anyone could get 'apology' out of that, I'll never know.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Aug 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

What kind of sociopath thinks apologizing for killing hundreds of thousands of civilians is "hosed up"? Jesus, man, we haven't been at war with Japan for 70 years. Let it go.

When the Japanese tsunami happened most recently, my great uncle said something like "Well those Japs deserved it for Pearl Harbor."

Old people, man. :smith:

Edit: ∆∆ Didn't Obama pointedly say he wasn't going to apologize while he was there?

Admiral Joeslop has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Aug 9, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Admiral Joeslop posted:

When the Japanese tsunami happened most recently, my great uncle said something like "Well those Japs deserved it for Pearl Harbor."

So how many Japanese civilians should the US have burnt to a crisp for it to have been considered "even"?

I believe a predecessor if this thread posted a bunch of Facebook screenshots saying the exact same thing as your uncle after the tsunami hit a couple of years ago, if I remember right

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Edit: ∆∆ Didn't Obama pointedly say he wasn't going to apologize while he was there?

It's not just old people, it's a weird american mentality in general. 9/11 was the worst thing ever, but no one gives a poo poo how many innocent people die as a result of whatever the American military does. They all deserve it. Pearl Harbor happened? Japs deserved that nuke. Deserve every earthquake and tsunami that happens to them after that. We should never help them in any way. I've seen a ton of people, people in the military, argue that they shouldn't even let Japanese tourists into the country because of pearl harbor.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Einstein would not be accepted in today's Academia. Not would Edison as an engineer, or Tesla as an inventor, so on. Because our most educated people are more concerned with keeping their status as intellectual elite than advancing our culture and society or our technology.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Same dude as before

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

hyperhazard posted:

They don't see the people of a country as individual human beings, that country is a singular dehumanized entity and it's an enemy so it's perfectly okay to slaughter thousands of innocents. That attitude still happens today with "nuke the Middle East".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

We should've invaded instead.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Einstein would not be accepted in today's Academia. Not would Edison as an engineer, or Tesla as an inventor, so on. Because our most educated people are more concerned with keeping their status as intellectual elite than advancing our culture and society or our technology.

Today i learnt being an intellectual elite is exclusive of being a contributor to culture society and technology

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Byzantine posted:

We should've invaded instead.

yes we should of. so there would be less baby boomers alive today.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Woebin posted:

I dunno what this is about exactly, but putting your family drama on Facebook is always an excellent idea.

"This movie night is a sham!"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

Even better was the hordes of people insisting that "Japan should have apologized first", and then backpeddaling like mad once it was pointed out that their Prime Minister had, 23 years ago.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
:nws:
NWS image

For people who aren't British, Dave Benson-Philips is a television presenter most famous for "Get Your Own Back", a kids game show where the whole point was for the children to gunge their parents.

TinTower has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Aug 9, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pictures behind spoilers still load in everyone's computer. You're going to get someone fired.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

TinTower posted:

For people who aren't British, Dave Benson-Philips is a television presenter most famous for "Get Your Own Back", a kids game show where the whole point was for the children to gunge their parents.

:eyepop:

That's his kids tv career gone, if he still does it.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Judge Tesla posted:

He had a massive career ending problem when The Internet started circulating rumours he was dead. He lost loads of bookings and even his family thought he was RIP for a time.
http://www.westsussextoday.co.uk/news/the-interview-it-got-dark-very-dark-indeed-says-television-presenter-reported-dead-1-4844387

quote:

Death. We know we cannot escape it. Most of us just ignore its impending approach.

But Dave Benson Philips has had to confront it head on, and bizarrely insist to the world he’s still alive.

The children’s television star, who presented the BBC hit Get Your Own Back for 14 years, was widely accepted to be dead in 2009 after a malicious rumour was started online that he had died in a car crash.

“The distress it caused was unparalleled,” said Dave, a West Sussex resident known in Horsham as the face of town centre events, including the Rotary Club’s Pancake Races, Children In Need and Kidz Stuff festival.

“I remember my sisters calling up and they didn’t get off the phone until they could hear my voice.

“My mum heard about it second hand - she was at work at the hospital, and someone said they were sorry her son had been killed in a car crash.”

The malicious falsehood caused shows to be cancelled, and while Dave’s wife received flowers and condolences a local radio station was minutes away from broadcasting an obituary.

“It was taken very seriously and it got dark, very dark indeed,” said Dave.

I had heard rumours of the internet slanders perpetrated against the enthusiastic entertainer, but it was not until Dave revealed more that I realised the true extent of the horrible experience.

Targeted at a genuinely lovely man who has dedicated a lifetime to making children laugh, the unfortunate episode brought the vagaries and danger of the internet age into sharp relief.

Just a few well placed and well timed untruths turned a dream career into a living nightmare.

Born in London, with a flair for flamboyancy, but bullied at school, Dave is a humble person when not in character.

“I am still surprised it happened,” he said, reflecting on his time dominating the children’s TV schedule with gunge and fun.

“Maybe one day I will wake up from a very long and elaborately lucid dream that I have been having for the past 48 years?”

But too many people have enjoyed the laughter of Dave’s dream career to pinch it from him – it is very real, as millions of children who grew up in the 90s will testify.

And as a children’s entertainer with Pontyns and Haven, he broke new ground.

“I was the first black blue coat they had ever had,” he said, going on to recollect a frosty reception he received in north Wales in the late 1980s.

“If you’ve ever seen the film Blazing Saddles you’ll know the arrival of the black sheriff, well, it was all of that.

“I remember people asking who are you, and I said ‘I’m the new children’s entertainer’ - and it was like, no you’re not!”

In spite of some of the adults’ attitudes 20 years ago, the children loved Dave’s more manic approach to entertainment, and he was idolised by a generation of holiday campers, as demonstrated by his best letter of complaint.

“A father came home and was horrified to see their son covered in shoe polish or something brown pretending to be me!” said Dave with an infectious incredulity followed by a hearty guffaw.

“This man has to go, they said. I laugh at it now but at the time it was quite harsh.

“But I won them over and made some fantastic friends there.”

Nevertheless, go Dave did, but only because holiday makers wrote a letter to the BBC recommending the colourful character for television.

Soon, Dave was the star presenter of Get Your Own Back - a programme that caught the imagination of children nationwide.

“It was an extraordinary show with a very simple premise.

“If you are a child with a grown-up who gets on your nerves, get them on the show, and we’ll humiliate them and cover them in gunge,” said Dave.

The hit show ran for an incredible 14 years from 1991 to 2003, and Dave still takes the show on the road with his own gunge tank.

“It will drop 90 odd litres of nasty gunge onto your head in a 30 to 40 second fall.

“It’s great - if you want it, we’ll come round and whip it up for you.”

A whole generation that watched Dave on the telly still feels a certain affinity for gunge and the whole concept of Get Your Own Back.

But the perpetrators of his online misfortune are also most likely to be found amongst this age group.

Are they getting their own back? I mused to myself.

Have you got your own back? I asked instead.

“No,” replied Dave. “All I wanted to know was how to deal with it.”

At the time the presenter of much of the internet and social media, but with a baptism of fire he soon managed to quell the original slander that he was dead.

But, new rumours persisted, known as drive-bys, where verbal assailants fabricate falsehoods on sites like the online encyclopaedia Wikipedia.

Dave believes he lost a job with a new children’s channel due to his online record presence wrongly stating he worked for Babestation, the late night Freeview channel featuring topless women.

More recently it was put about he had a mental break down at a children’s party and was seen running through the streets throwing gunge at people.

He has even been banned from social media site MySpace after someone pretending to be him claimed he was the imposter!

Is it dealt with now I asked?

“Let’s put it this way - I do enough to let people know that I am alive,” he said, before bursting into laughter, realising what a crazy thing that is to have to say.

But does he still feel exposed? “We all are,” he warned. “If some people don’t like you and have a bit of time on their hands with an axe to grind they can make your life hell, and you wouldn’t know who they are.”

Dave is now preparing for his Mad March promotion that sees him take a series of shows and performances on the road for crazy prices.

He is also making a welcome return to CBBC with a voiceover role, and more locally looking forward to working with the Rotary Club of Horsham again in 2013.

Dave is also loving fatherhood, with his son due to celebrate his third birthday in March.

But how does entertaining children with hype and mayhem differ to caring for one?

“I get it now,” admitted Dave. “I get why parents used to look at me with nasty eyes and go ‘you don’t know what it’s like taking home an excited child.’

“Thanks Dave for a great show, they would say through gritted teeth!”

And with that Dave burst into laughter for the umpteenth time of the interview.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
poo poo looks like he has it all figured out. Gotta love a man with a plan.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Nuebot posted:

It's not just old people, it's a weird american mentality in general. 9/11 was the worst thing ever, but no one gives a poo poo how many innocent people die as a result of whatever the American military does. They all deserve it. Pearl Harbor happened? Japs deserved that nuke. Deserve every earthquake and tsunami that happens to them after that. We should never help them in any way. I've seen a ton of people, people in the military, argue that they shouldn't even let Japanese tourists into the country because of pearl harbor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And now, wise words from noted New World Order conspiracy theorist and person who believes the Illuminati are real Mark Dice.

https://twitter.com/MarkDice/status/762344394896715776
https://twitter.com/MarkDice/status/762880114912669697
https://twitter.com/MarkDice/status/762748620336619520

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ularg posted:

It's also the same people that won't shut the gently caress up if they see a woman with a piercing or tattoo. They just don't give a poo poo either way. There's a channel called SciShow and everytime the host is a woman with a nose piercing the comments freak out about how "Unnatural" she looks with it.
Ugh

"Back in my day, tattoos were for convicts and sailors!!!!11!!1"

My real estate agent is ~70 and she's got a full sleeve. Tons of women have ink and piercings now, you loving dinosaur

What is their problem? Are these dumbshits still angry that women got the vote?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I live in the south and have to hear the "different between n-word and black person" all the time. I want a video of someone getting clocked while explaining it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Judge Tesla posted:

What's the picture of? Can't click, slacking at work.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Ugh

"Back in my day, tattoos were for convicts and sailors!!!!11!!1"

My real estate agent is ~70 and she's got a full sleeve. Tons of women have ink and piercings now, you loving dinosaur

What is their problem? Are these dumbshits still angry that women got the vote?

Most of them that I saw were more on the "m'lady" side of things, telling her not to "hide her pretty face", how she "doesn't have to rebel" and poo poo like that :barf:

She's been part of that channel for weeks now and every comment section on one of her videos are 50/50 "not fuckable enough" and "why do people care so much how she looks". At least all the top comments are of the latter sort? It's still absurd to see pages of "can you guy stop talking about how fuckable she is for one video" on every video though, and it shows what the rest of the comments are like.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I have Belgian acquaintance who says that when he first visited North America he was taken aback by how common tattoos are here. According to him, back home only criminals have tattoos. Maybe it's a cultural/regional thing but I have a feeling that he's just more sheltered than he realises.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hardcordion posted:

I have Belgian acquaintance who says that when he first visited North America he was taken aback by how common tattoos are here. According to him, back home only criminals have tattoos. Maybe it's a cultural/regional thing but I have a feeling that he's just more sheltered than he realises.

Aren't tattoos highly stigmatized in Japan because of the association with Yakuza?

Dushkani
Jun 25, 2012

Rarr.
I decided to try my own IoSM baiting and welp

(Blue is OP)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Aren't tattoos highly stigmatized in Japan because of the association with Yakuza?

Yeah, you're not allowed to use public hot springs if you have a tattoo.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
my gf made a Facebook post about selling some of her art, and a family argument in the comments underneath escalated to the point where her uncle completely removed himself from their family (in the non-suicide sense of the word). the uncle in question has literally spent the last 40 years in the boy scouts.

too much got deleted before i could take a picture, but :lol: anyway

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Baron Corbyn posted:

Yeah, you're not allowed to use public hot springs if you have a tattoo.

My wife will be devastated that her Hello Kitty tattoos are not welcome in Japan.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Pretty sure that if it's obvious that you're a tourist, they wont give a poo poo about your tattoos (other than some odd looks and talking about you behind your back).

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

china bot posted:

my gf made a Facebook post about selling some of her art, and a family argument in the comments underneath escalated to the point where her uncle completely removed himself from their family (in the non-suicide sense of the word). the uncle in question has literally spent the last 40 years in the boy scouts.

too much got deleted before i could take a picture, but :lol: anyway

Can you at least give a summary of what the argument was about?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
the uncle said that the art looked like "a dog's leavings", and when confronted about it, threw a tantrum and told everyone that he didn't want to be a part of the family anymore. then he blocked everyone in his family.

last time we saw this guy, he told his mom that he never calls her because its a waste of his time talking to her (she's 87).

e: also, everyone involved in the argument (gf excepted) is a christian over the age of 50.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
And why are the Boy scouts relevant to this story?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

china bot posted:

the uncle said that the art looked like "a dog's leavings", and when confronted about it, threw a tantrum and told everyone that he didn't want to be a part of the family anymore. then he blocked everyone in his family.

last time we saw this guy, he told his mom that he never calls her because its a waste of his time talking to her (she's 87).

e: also, everyone involved in the argument (gf excepted) is a christian over the age of 50.

Well at least nothing of value was lost, apparently

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

TotalLossBrain posted:

And why are the Boy scouts relevant to this story?

for context, i guess? i'm a bad poster

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Idiot by courtesy of Lowtax:

I think number one applies to 100% of American women, just saying.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
a mouthful of sores ain't no fun

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Having a cellphone is a mark of obscenity now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well will you look at that

http://imgur.com/gallery/IdnT3

Even the top comments seem to agree.