Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Oh my god, he's still at it, and he's getting creative with his pseudonyms.

quote:

Dear John Dough,

Thank you for filing your aircraft noise complaint with the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey.

Along with the following information, your submitted details have been received and will be logged, analyzed, mapped and reported to Port Authority officials and shared with the Federal Aviation Administration.

Your Complaint Details

PANYNJ Complaint #: 162511
Airport: Don't Know/Not Sure

Noise Event: Aug 04 2016 08:30
Primary Concern: Too Loud & Low

830am a propeller plane flies over Netcong Heights complex low and loud enough to purposely and intentionally disturb residents of their sleep and environment.

edit: Also this is the annual weekend that the Blue Angels tear around downtown Seattle scaring hobos and livestock alike. Do they stay low enough to not mess with the usual traffic coming in to Seatac or is everything in the air just as hosed beyond belief as the traffic on the ground?

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

The Ferret King posted:

I recently found out that noise-sensitive airports have sensors that trigger if an aircraft goes through the area while being too noisy. Pilots get warned and then barred from accessing that airport if they violate the noise abatement rules too often.

I can't imagine being that up in arms about planes. I love hearing them fly over. I live right by the 18R final to DFW.

Oh boy. KSNA is the worst airport about this. Well it's not the airport's fault, it's the idiot residents that bought literal mansions around it.

I flew out of here once, fully knowing what their DP was and it still surprised me when they pulled the throttle back and pitched the nose down after the climb. The require a minimum of 13° nose up attitude, and suggest between 18-20°

Have some videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jutmtbTrpVo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=020aYPx_9bM

quote:

Notice of Violation
In the event an aircraft exceeds the GANO noise
limits at one or more locations, a “Notice of
Violation” will be issued to the registered owner of
the aircraft. The Notice of Violation applies to the
aircraft owner, the aircraft operator and the aircraft.
Notices of Violation remain in eect for three years
after the violation date.
Denial of Use
If three GANO violations occur within a three-year
period, the aircraft owner, the aircraft operator and
the aircraft are subject to denial of use of the Airport
for a period of three years.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
We need noise abatement procedures for land vehicles, too. Like "short shift in residential areas or we crush your beloved Harley into a cube."

I'd rather deal with aircraft noise all day and all night, by a long shot.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

This is the fourth one in two days.

quote:

Since this afternoon, small propeller planes fly over Netcong Heights NJ complex constantly. Some small propeller planes purposely fly low altitudes and are loud when hovering over the complex. Since reporting suspicious small aircraft activity, flight times of their arrival are in patterns Other times are not so frequently. Example of this flight time patterns flying over Netcong Heights NJ complex are as follows: 1200pm 1230pm 130pm 200pm 230pm 330pm 415pm till 418pm hovering low and loud 440pm and 530pm. Some small aircraft fly late as 630pm 700pm or later. Please advise, this report was made to other airports about small aircraft fly overs. Thank you for your time.

Good luck, buddy. I don't think they're going to reroute Newark International for you.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
loving eh. I'm too old to apply anymore - just barely. I know my odds would have been low even without the bio questionnaire, but its almost funny getting disqualified for that the last two times around and then not being able to apply when they finally get rid of it because I'm 2 weeks too old.

Boola fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 6, 2016

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

It continues.

quote:

PANYNJ Complaint #: 163023
Airport: Teterboro

Noise Event: Aug 07 2016 10:00
Primary Concern: Hovering

To all aircraft airports in NJ,

I'm reporting about suspicious low and loud small propeller aircrafts flying hourly, daily, low, loud, too frequent and hovering in circles around Netcong Heights Complex.

August 7th, 2016 fly by small aircraft times over Netcong Heights NJ Complex is as follows: 1000am. 1100am. 1145am. 1230pm. 105pm. Circles from 125pm till 130pm. 140pm. 150pm. Circles three(3) times from 155pm till 200pm. 210pm. 225pm. It continues on until the between hours of 530 and 630pm. I will file report and monitor this situation until matter is resolved. Thank you for your time.

I wonder if this guy just moved into that apartment complex, or if he's been living with the noise for a while and just snapped.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

disregard.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 7, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pile of Kittens posted:

It continues.

I wonder if this guy just moved into that apartment complex, or if he's been living with the noise for a while and just snapped.

So since you are getting these emails, are they actually going to the proper people at all, or are you the only one that is getting to read these wonders?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
One of my new goals if I ever hit the lottery is to buy the loudest "reasonably priced" thing I can get my hands on to gently caress with the people around these airports.

In union news, a bunch of people are apparently pretty shocked and angry that a union for federal employees endorsed the democratic candidate for president and gave some money to their PAC. I'm assuming they were just as pissy in 2008 before I got in the agency?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

One of my new goals if I ever hit the lottery is to buy the loudest "reasonably priced" thing I can get my hands on to gently caress with the people around these airports.

In union news, a bunch of people are apparently pretty shocked and angry that a union for federal employees endorsed the democratic candidate for president and gave some money to their PAC. I'm assuming they were just as pissy in 2008 before I got in the agency?

We got a facility-wide Slack channel just in time for the convention. The butthurt has been AMAZING.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

fknlo posted:

Not sure why a union of any kind would be supporting her opponent, who seems like would be more of a union-buster type person by far.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Locator posted:

Not sure why a union of any kind would be supporting her opponent, who seems like would be more of a union-buster type person by far.

And who sued an airport because they overfly his Palm Beach mansion/golf club and clearly has the temperament and clarity to understand ATC issues?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

The Locator posted:

So since you are getting these emails, are they actually going to the proper people at all, or are you the only one that is getting to read these wonders?

No, he's putting my email address in as his, so this is the automated "here's a copy of the form we received from you". Other than setting up a filter, I can't stop the emails.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fordan posted:

And who sued an airport because they overfly his Palm Beach mansion/golf club and clearly has the temperament and clarity to understand ATC issues?

Trump spending significant time in Palm Beach is the number one reason to not vote for him. Obama's trips to Miami gently caress south Florida into a cocked hat. Trump coming down on the regular would be a gigantic gently caress-fest.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Pile of Kittens posted:

edit: Also this is the annual weekend that the Blue Angels tear around downtown Seattle scaring hobos and livestock alike. Do they stay low enough to not mess with the usual traffic coming in to Seatac or is everything in the air just as hosed beyond belief as the traffic on the ground?

Having spent 2+ hours in Pasco yesterday due to a groundstop in SeaTac, yeah you can say that everything got hosed for awhile.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So whats it like in the ATC facilities at Atlanta right now? Just hanging out drinking coffee, waiting for chaos to start?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
I am curious, how badly and how many things have to go wrong, to cause an accident, Tenerife style?

Also, how many violations can an air traffic controller commit before they aren't allowed to work anymore? And is that stressful? It sounds super duper stressful.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MrYenko posted:

Trump spending significant time in Palm Beach is the number one reason to not vote for him. Obama's trips to Miami gently caress south Florida into a cocked hat. Trump coming down on the regular would be a gigantic gently caress-fest.

Versus a 30nm TFR centered over his Manhattan home? Not that Hillary would be much better when home in Chappaqua, NY, but at least Newark would escape by a mile or two I think.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

BattleMoose posted:

I am curious, how badly and how many things have to go wrong, to cause an accident, Tenerife style?

Also, how many violations can an air traffic controller commit before they aren't allowed to work anymore? And is that stressful? It sounds super duper stressful.

A lot of things. 10, 20, maybe 50 things?

There isn't a hard limit. Also, you can be decertified and retrained, or moved to a slower facility, or promoted to management instead. Losses of required separation can vary greatly in severity, and that's taken into consideration as well. Also, more drastic consequences are likely when you're not well liked or respected at your facility. Your response to errors will have a big impact too. Constantly blaming other people or making excuses instead of taking responsibility for your gently caress ups will result in more severe reactions from management.

It can be stressful at times, especially when you're training. Working the job routinely is just like any other. You develop good habits and learn what sort of situations to avoid to make your job easier. If you're already prone to nervousness then you may not handle the environment very well, but most of us aren't going into work super stressed every day. It's usually routine, sometimes boring, sometimes kinda fun. If you're bad at it, it will be more stressful.

Also, not everyone works at Atlanta or Chicago etc. You can work your entire career at a sleepy little tower. Sure, it might get busy from time to time (and you'll be less proficient overall when that happens), but there's also a LOT of coffee drinking time in between. Even the busy places have peaks and lulls in traffic.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 8, 2016

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Here's the ATC job posting. https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/446961800/

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Bummer. The announcement for us old people (age 35) is in "60 days".

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

...or promoted to management instead.

I wish I could laugh at this. I really do.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's kinda funny.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

It's kinda funny.

But its funny in the same way as Donald Trump running for president is funny.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Right, like that.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just applied. Stressing out a bit. Did they post a time line for when they'll contact people that made it?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Pope Mobile posted:

Just applied. Stressing out a bit. Did they post a time line for when they'll contact people that made it?

Lol this must be your first time applying. They notify you when they get around to it and not a moment earlier. This application process is the most infuriating thing to ever willingly endure.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

two_beer_bishes posted:

Lol this must be your first time applying. They notify you when they get around to it and not a moment earlier. This application process is the most infuriating thing to ever willingly endure.

First time outside of the bio-assessment. I know it took them like 6 weeks or something ridiculous to "grade" the bio last time.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

My pricipal, who lives across Ocean Blvd from Mr Pumpkin Hair and recently held a fund raiser for him, is going to poo poo a brick when he finds out the ramifications of PH becoming President on our aircraft operations out of PBI. I'm trying to decide the proper moment during the campaign to drop that little nugget of wisdom on him.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pope Mobile posted:

Sit down. Have a beer. Relax. Get another job. :v:

If you hear from them inside of six months, they're making good time. I waited almost six months to find out I was selected, and over three years application-to-hire-date.

ausgezeichnet posted:

My pricipal, who lives across Ocean Blvd from Mr Pumpkin Hair and recently held a fund raiser for him, is going to poo poo a brick when he finds out the ramifications of PH becoming President on our aircraft operations out of PBI. I'm trying to decide the proper moment during the campaign to drop that little nugget of wisdom on him.

Consider this a formal request for you to record his reaction.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

I interviewed for a TMU position in Denver about 2 months ago. I haven't heard anything back. In the real world that would be bad, but in FAA land there are probably still a couple of weeks before decisions are made. Welcome to the government!

MrYenko posted:

and over three years application-to-hire-date.

:hfive:

I was just a hair under 3 years from application to academy start date. I'm told it's a bit better now, so probably just 2 to 2.5.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

Consider this a formal request for you to record his reaction.

I'm sure it will be the same reaction he has to anything inconvenient I lay on him - sputtering and cursing. Maybe I can talk him into basing the aircraft at FXE or, even better, Naples (20 minutes from my house). :smugdon:

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

fknlo posted:

I was just a hair under 3 years from application to academy start date. I'm told it's a bit better now, so probably just 2 to 2.5.

I got in on one of the last CTI only bids, so maybe that was a bit different, but I applied Aug. 2010 and was at the academy Dec. 2011. Some of the OTS people we got last year said they only waited about a year and a half as well, progress!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Huh, I've worked with (not for) the government before and they were pretty quick to hire folks and very things done. That was the DOD, though.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I'm currently working for a contractor as a software engineer they take forever in the hiring process.

I meet all the qualifications and have a good work history for the new opening. However I'm early transition transgender. Do you think my hrt meds/gender identity are going to raise eyebrows?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jiffypop45 posted:

I'm currently working for a contractor as a software engineer they take forever in the hiring process.

I meet all the qualifications and have a good work history for the new opening. However I'm early transition transgender. Do you think my hrt meds/gender identity are going to raise eyebrows?

Your medical is going to be more complicated, see the standards here: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item48/amd/gd/

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

jiffypop45 posted:

The meds I can't speak too, thats something a flight doc would need to determine. As far as the identity goes, not at all. Theres a lady who works here that transitioned and nobody cared.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Thanks for the info!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
If you folks are interested, the job posting closes on Monday.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/446961800/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
This is something that has been bugging me for a while now, but can someone clue me in on what the gently caress airline dispatchers do? Because filing flight plans that go around severe weather that has been in the same place all loving day is clearly not in there.