Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

System Metternich posted:

Those fuckers burned down my hometown twice during the Thirty Years' War and killed every man, woman and child they could lay their hands on, they better be guilt-ridden as hell! :argh:

Don't be too bothered, modern Swedes, I've forgiven you :v:

Thirty years war? LMAO

I still can't get over Venetians and Crusaders sacking my hometown in 1202.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

^^^Our neighbouring town used to do a number on us back in the 13th century and again in the 14th, I know how you feel :(:hf::() ^^^

icantfindaname posted:

"Bet, Kindlein, bet!
Morgen kommt der Schwed,
morgen kommt der Oxenstern,
wird die Kinder beten lehrn."

"Maikäfer flieg!
Der Vater ist im Krieg.
Die Mutter ist im Pommernland,
Pommerland ist abgebrannt.
Maikäfter flieg!"

(My parents used to sing the latter one to me as a lullaby :smith:)

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 8, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fox Cunning posted:

The most fondly remembered historical eras in Sweden are basically when we plundered as much as we could over Europe.

So when Abba won eurovision then?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fox Cunning posted:

The most fondly remembered historical eras in Sweden are basically when we plundered as much as we could over Europe.

Isn't that true of every country, though? Just look at all the British people who fondly reminiscse about the time when the sun never set on the British Empire.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

mcustic posted:

Thirty years war? LMAO

I still can't get over Venetians and Crusaders sacking my hometown in 1202.

We Celts had a good thing going until the Romans came and destroyed our entire way of life!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Isn't that true of every country, though? Just look at all the British people who fondly reminiscse about the time when the sun never set on the British Empire.

Finns don't reminisce about anything, except maybe the racists, who reminisce any time before 20 years ago, when you were still allowed to say neekeri.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Well, yeah, but that's because the Finns have nothing to reminisce about. :smug:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I dunno, the Winter War, Mannerheim and Kekkonen come up every once in a while. Lalli (apocryphal dude who is famous for killing a Swedish bishop with an axe in 1156) maybe? Granted it's pretty weak stuff compared to the rest of Europe.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

doverhog posted:

I dunno, the Winter War, Mannerheim and Kekkonen come up every once in a while. Lalli (apocryphal dude who is famous for killing a Swedish bishop with an axe in 1156) maybe? Granted it's pretty weak stuff compared to the rest of Europe.
Simo Häyhä too, I guess.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Possibly Paavo Nurmi as well. Tove Jansson might count, though she was an ethnic Swede rather than a Finn.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Well, yeah, but that's because the Finns have nothing to reminisce about. :smug:

Well yes, but neither do a lot of countries

kalstrams posted:

Simo Häyhä too, I guess.

[groans so hard my balls emerge from my mouth]

Kopijeger posted:

Possibly Paavo Nurmi as well. Tove Jansson might count, though she was an ethnic Swede rather than a Finn.

That's not really how it works. Finland Swedes are Finns.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Samuel Clemens posted:

Fondly reminiscing about the time we laid waste to Europe is considered to be kinda gauche in Germany :hitler:

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

Ras Het posted:

Sweden claims all her children. Literature written in Swedish is Swedish literature.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Finns don't reminisce about anything, except maybe the racists, who reminisce any time before 20 years ago, when you were still allowed to say neekeri.

There's no way they don't glorify the Winter War.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Perhaps, but there are stories about the stupider kind of nationalist harassing Swedish-speakers for speaking their own language amongst themselves in public. Clearly not everybody consider them to be proper Finns.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

There's no way they don't glorify the Winter War.

Well we do, but in the end we lost that war, so there's a limit to that. The British for example have infinitely more hubris about their ancestral glories.

Kopijeger posted:

Perhaps, but there are stories about the stupider kind of nationalist harassing Swedish-speakers for speaking their own language amongst themselves in public. Clearly not everybody consider them to be proper Finns.

Yeah but only complete idiots consider them, notice the phrasing, Swedes rather than Finns. I know the type of idiot, I'm from Kouvola

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Samuel Clemens posted:

We still own enough rocks full of pedophilic mutineers that it still hasn't

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ras Het posted:

Well yes, but neither do a lot of countries

If the Canadians can gloat because they* burned down Washington then anyone can gloat about anything.

*loyalist american colonists who fled to canada

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Finland's get to reminisce about the time everyone carried a small lump of unbreakable Finish plastic around with them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rumda posted:

Finland's get to reminisce about the time everyone carried a small lump of unbreakable Finish plastic around with them.
So that's what happened to sisu!

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
George Washington had his army eat apples off the trees in my backyard when it was an orchard and I'll be damned if I ever forgive that priss

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peanut President posted:

If the Canadians can gloat because they* burned down Washington then anyone can gloat about anything.

*loyalist american colonists who fled to canada
Didn't they stay in Canada? That'd make them just as much "they" as the people who lived in Canada prior to the whole rebellion.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Didn't they stay in Canada? That'd make them just as much "they" as the people who lived in Canada prior to the whole rebellion.

I'm an American, so I don't know much about this but I'm going to plunge ahead anyway. AFAIK "Canadian" didn't exist as a national identity until Confederation in the 1870s. Before that there were just British subjects in North America of varying languages, ethnicities, and religions, who identified themselves in those terms rather than as "Canadians." The idea that the War of 1812 was an expression of Canadian national identity is a modern invention (like most national narratives). So you're right - the "they" who burned down the White House was just as Canadian as the "they" who lived there before the Revolution. Which is to say, not at all.

http://ncph.org/history-at-work/remanufacturing-1812/

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

And also the army that attacked DC was a bunch of Royal Marines shipped over from Europe, not guys from British North America.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rumda posted:

We still own enough rocks full of pedophilic mutineers that it still hasn't
Well year but the idea of a British Empire would be kinda conjectural if it lost the British Isles.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Guavanaut posted:

Well year but the idea of a British Empire would be kinda conjectural if it lost the British Isles.

Though technically it would still be a British Empire just like Prussia and Bavaria were German kingdoms.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Kopijeger posted:

Yeah, there was a major change in the early 1990s. Once the first wave of Somali arrived, the bigots had a much easier targets. I haven't been randomly harassed in the street since then.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Hahaha

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

System Metternich posted:

Fondly reminiscing about the time we laid waste to Europe is considered to be kinda gauche in Germany :hitler:

Times

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Guavanaut posted:

I don't know, the Roman empire managed to take the loss of Rome fairly well.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baka-nin posted:

I don't know, the Roman empire managed to take the loss of Rome fairly well.

Empire shown moments before Constantinople was sacked by Catholic crusaders.

(well ok 150 years before)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

"Useless"

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Count Roland posted:

Empire shown moments before Constantinople was sacked by Catholic crusaders.

(well ok 150 years before)

Empire shown moments before Anatolia was gobbled up by the Turks.

(well ok 20 years before)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Going to move to Manchester, North Yorkshire. :effort:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Guavanaut posted:

This looks really, really familiar. Is this from a Röyksopp video? I don't even remember the name but it's an animation that shows a lot of How Stuff Works diagrams that involve the daily commute and stuff like that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It is! It's from Remind Me.

Maybe it's short for Remind Me Where Manchester Goes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Knowing almost nothing about the UK even I would have spotted that. I'm assuming 'BTV' is not known for its professionalism

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Guavanaut posted:

It is! It's from Remind Me.

Maybe it's short for Remind Me Where Manchester Goes.

Yes! Thank you. I didn't really expect to see it ITT of all places.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Phlegmish posted:

Knowing almost nothing about the UK even I would have spotted that. I'm assuming 'BTV' is not known for its professionalism

Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I hadn't read the posts about how it's from a clip or something so don't you hmm me