Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Parkingtigers posted:

New trailer. Looks rad as hell.

http://youtu.be/ytkjQvSk2VA

Ohhhhhhh my.

My my my.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

New trailer. Looks rad as hell.

http://youtu.be/ytkjQvSk2VA

Looking drat good. Doesn't look like "next level" poo poo but it really doesn't have to be. The visuals, music, and actors are all really on-point. I'm in.

Be prepared for a whole lot of "jeez the Marvel movies/shows are soooooooo bland and similar" :jerkbag: complaints, if the trailer is correct and Cottonmouth is little more than a regional Kingpin and Luke Cage proves to be little more than a reluctant Daredevil.

E-- and it's the lamest complaint but I hate the Barbershop sign. It looks like an kiosk at Universal Studios in Simsponsland or whatever. It's already stereotype-y enough to make Cage's hub a barbershop in Harlem but they could at least have gone the extra mile to make it look authentic.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 9, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think we can all agree at least the music will be on point.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Less than 5 white people seen in the trailer.

This show is gonna loving own.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Be prepared for a whole lot of "jeez the Marvel movies/shows are soooooooo bland and similar" :jerkbag: complaints, if the trailer is correct and Cottonmouth is little more than a regional Kingpin

I'm actually worried about this bit--even that scene in the trailer where he's personally beating the poo poo out of some dude while the blood splashes on his face really feels like they're trying to invoke the car door scene pt. 2

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is that the Murdock gym?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Probably the same set, but redressed to be a different gym and shot from different angles.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I love the small, local feel of these Netflix Marvel shows. Such a nice contrast to other superhero stuff where the loving world is in jeopardy all the time.

When done right, like Guardians of the Galaxy it can be good, but having "everything" on the line all the time just makes it boring and you lose focus on the actual impact on people.

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/763032525220360193

odiv fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 9, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

God, that trailer made me giddy.

I don't care that Cottonmouth is similar to Kingpin. That's kind of the point of "the Defenders", isn't it? They're not fighting worldwide global threats. They're taking on smaller, local threats who hurt communities. Even Kilgrave was a low grade monster who didn't have any ambitions beyond ruining individuals' lives for his own amusement. The Defenders are exactly as described, defending people. And yeah, the threats to regular people are going to often be guys in slick suits and order around dudes with guns.

And it has an awesome soundtrack.

And they snuck in the goofy bracelets and crown.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Does Luke Cage have any cool villains who can go toe to toe with him at least? Or is it all gangsters with guns

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I don't care that Cottonmouth is similar to Kingpin. That's kind of the point of "the Defenders", isn't it? They're not fighting worldwide global threats. They're taking on smaller, local threats who hurt communities. Even Kilgrave was a low grade monster who didn't have any ambitions beyond ruining individuals' lives for his own amusement. The Defenders are exactly as described, defending people. And yeah, the threats to regular people are going to often be guys in slick suits and order around dudes with guns.

I'm not getting upset about it by a longshot, I just know it's giving fuel to the fire to people who hate on Marvel that they're too homogenous.

I am also concerned that for all the talk about how Luke Cage will deal with the gentrification of Harlem, Cottonmouth might end up being a dime store Kingpin. Of course this is just a trailer and I am not commenting with any degree of certainty on what happens in the series.

Also the over/under on wise Dad-figure biting the dust?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Trailer didn't really do anything for me, but

zoux posted:

I think we can all agree at least the music will be on point.

:yeah:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zzulu posted:

Does Luke Cage have any cool villains who can go toe to toe with him at least? Or is it all gangsters with guns

Not really.

Also I'm kind of worried about how they're going to maintain tension when the main character can brush off getting hit by a car but just like with the Hulk as long as they make sure not to have the threat be "will Luke die?" they should be fine.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

MrAristocrates posted:

Not really.

Also I'm kind of worried about how they're going to maintain tension when the main character can brush off getting hit by a car but just like with the Hulk as long as they make sure not to have the threat be "will Luke die?" they should be fine.

It seems like they hinted at one way in the trailer - "You may be bulletproof, but Harlem isn't." Collateral damage.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mikeraskol posted:

It seems like they hinted at one way in the trailer - "You may be bulletproof, but Harlem isn't." Collateral damage.

Yeah that line was definitely pretty reassuring.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Cage can also be poisoned which is basically what Kilgrave did to him.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I still don't understand, especially in light of this trailer, how Jessica was able to lay him out so long with a shotgun blast. What caused that to get around his bulletproof-ness?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Klungar posted:

I still don't understand, especially in light of this trailer, how Jessica was able to lay him out so long with a shotgun blast. What caused that to get around his bulletproof-ness?

His insides are still all jiggly. He had massive brain trauma.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Klungar posted:

Only the outer part of him is bullet proof, the problem in JJ was the internal damage from the force of the shotgun. That's why Claire had to drain the fluid build up through his eye.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Klungar posted:

This is going to be a recurring question isn't it?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Well, the concussive force of getting shot in the head from 1 foot away vs. 20 feet away should probably not be the difference between life-threatening brain damage or shrugging it off with an eye-roll and a one-liner, but we are willing to forgive in the name of comix.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The amount of damage someone can inflict is directly proportional to the number of lines they have.

Obviously.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

But how did he stop the car in the trailer?? He may be bulletproof, but he isn't nailed to the ground or weigh 10 tons. MY IMMERSION :supaburn:

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But how did he stop the car in the trailer?? He may be bulletproof, but he isn't nailed to the ground or weigh 10 tons. MY IMMERSION :supaburn:

Season finale Luke Cage pulls of his mask and rubs off the blackface. It was Magneto all along.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Now I'm wondering if Superman can be poisoned, or if Luke Cage can be electrocuted. Maybe these criminals just need to think a little bit broader.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Relevant

This does imply that electricity could hurt him.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
HAH they actually managed to fit the super old costume in there when he gets out of the chamber thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think the only thing that threw me is Claire kinda doing a 180 on her alarmist attitude in DD and JJ and is now like "YEAH GO OUT THERE AND BE A VIGILANTE DO IT NOW"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I think the only thing that threw me is Claire kinda doing a 180 on her alarmist attitude in DD and JJ and is now like "YEAH GO OUT THERE AND BE A VIGILANTE DO IT NOW"

He is the one she generally doesn't have to fix.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hm, I wonder how much time this season covers. Because it looks like we see his origins and also wife, but we also see Claire, who he doesn't meet until after his wife is dead (I think?). Maybe we only see stuff from "the past" in flashbacks, but I really wouldn't mind an origin season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm certain that those are flashbacks and hallucinations and the season will take place after DD S2.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm pretty sure that was Misty Knight, not Luke's wife.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BrianWilly posted:

She's mostly seemed to be gradually coming to understand the need for them and the good they're doing. She's just uncomfortable with her personal role in it and how complicated its made her life, especially with her feelings for Matt. But I mean, going back to Jessica Jones once she finally helps them she basically goes "Hey, want me to call my buddy in a red suit to help?"

My guess is she'll actually be the one who brings the Defenders together since she's becoming the common link between them all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

My guess is she'll actually be the one who brings the Defenders together since she's becoming the common link between them all.

Her and Stick are going to be the Maria Hill/Nick Fury of the lot. I'd bet money on it.

Kheldarn posted:

I'm pretty sure that was Misty Knight, not Luke's wife.

I keep forgetting she's showing up in this and every time I remember I'm excited.

Aphrodite posted:

He is the one she generally doesn't have to fix.

Yeah but when he does end up in her hospital she's got to do some creative-rear end shopwork.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm curious if Misty Knight will still get her prosthetic arm from Stark in this, if it'll be from a different source or if she'll just be called Misty with a possibility of her getting the arm down the line. And what she'll be able to do with it if she does get it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

tsob posted:

I'm curious if Misty Knight will still get her prosthetic arm from Stark in this, if it'll be from a different source or if she'll just be called Misty with a possibility of her getting the arm down the line. And what she'll be able to do with it if she does get it.

Fitz will build it, Bobbi and Hunter will deliver it. It'll spin off to them getting their own Netflix series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The SHIELD team will stay in their ABC ghetto where they belong. It's ok Ghost Rider is coming to play with them so that when the Grim Reaper shows up he can get close without them suspecting anything.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

tsob posted:

It's rumored that they're casting for Riri (to replace Pepper as Tony's right-hand since Gwenyth probably isn't coming back at this point), so maybe she'll build the arm? This way it's a lesser known actor they can afford to put on Netflix and it can still officially be Stark tech?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kheldarn posted:

Fitz will build it, Bobbi and Hunter will deliver it. It'll spin off to them getting their own Netflix series.

Nobody wants those losers anywhere near Netflix land in case failure really *is* catching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nobody wants those losers anywhere near Netflix land in case failure really *is* catching.

Yet SHIELD stuff has been referenced several times in both seasons of Daredevil. Skye/Daisy went to the same orphanage as Matt, Crusher Creel is off-screen getting his rear end kicked by Matt's father before he gets powers, and that Dogs from Hell gang in season 2 first appeared in a season 1 AOS episode.'

I know the general consensus is AOS sucks, but that there's some sort of division between AOS/ABC and everything else isn't really supported. The division is between all of TV vs all of film.