Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Gibbo posted:

Don't bitch about lack of content in a non 1.0 game you chuckle gently caress

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
how many hours have you sunk into this game that lacks content?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Finally beat the vanilla game for the first time, doing lazy bastard run. I got Lazy bastard, logistic network embargo, raining bullets and steam all the way. Now I can actually have some fun the next go. I only started on the rocket about 1h15m before the 15 hour mark, figured I might as well try for it and I made it with 5 minutes to spare. This was with doing a couple emergency steam engine runs and doubling my steel production halfway through... I normally play modded with Bobs mods and stuff so I've never actually done the second half of the vanilla game. It was an interesting experience.

The rail line is for barreled oil since I didn't feel like going through the hassle of another underground pipe run. It was surprisingly painless to set up.

Lots of optimizations to be made...
I have 173 hours in this game on steam with a few hundred more before.
e. For some weird reason I got 'Run forrest run destroy 100 trees by impact' by shooting trees with the car's mg.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 6, 2016

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Baloogan posted:

i really loving want space platforms and the lack of rail tankers is absurd
Weren't rail tankers originally slated for 0.13? So they should be in 0.14 for sure. I honestly breathed a sigh of relief when space platforms were cancelled, since they were basically talking about a whole expansion's worth of content - it would have sent the whole game into development hell.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What are the space platforms ultimately for? I assume the rockets send supplies back and forth, but what's up there to get? Are there going to be special materials that enable new crafting? Is it just a way to keep part of your base away from biters? Or are there space biters?

I get that specifics are scarce, but have the developers said where they see that part of the game going?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i want space exports & imports

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

pumpinglemma posted:

Weren't rail tankers originally slated for 0.13? So they should be in 0.14 for sure. I honestly breathed a sigh of relief when space platforms were cancelled, since they were basically talking about a whole expansion's worth of content - it would have sent the whole game into development hell.

Rail Tankers are on the road map for 0.14, yes, as of FF #131.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Does anyone else suffer from incredibly long map load times? In multi-player, when anyone connects to the server there was a literal five minute hang for them to load into the map, which I wrote off as terrible connections or their matchmaking server or whatever, but when I loaded the map up in single player it took just as long. The map file itself is only a 20 mb file, which seems to be standard, but I am using a lot of mods. Before I go through one by one and try to troubleshoot I wanted to know if this is a common issue for anyone else?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FactorioBot posted:

Another weekend "Whoops!" release.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ambaire posted:

Finally beat the vanilla game for the first time, doing lazy bastard run. I got Lazy bastard, logistic network embargo, raining bullets and steam all the way. Now I can actually have some fun the next go. I only started on the rocket about 1h15m before the 15 hour mark, figured I might as well try for it and I made it with 5 minutes to spare. This was with doing a couple emergency steam engine runs and doubling my steel production halfway through... I normally play modded with Bobs mods and stuff so I've never actually done the second half of the vanilla game. It was an interesting experience.

The rail line is for barreled oil since I didn't feel like going through the hassle of another underground pipe run. It was surprisingly painless to set up.

Lots of optimizations to be made...
I have 173 hours in this game on steam with a few hundred more before.
e. For some weird reason I got 'Run forrest run destroy 100 trees by impact' by shooting trees with the car's mg.

All that in 15 hours? Nice! That's larger than some of my 30h bases.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Toast Museum posted:

What are the space platforms ultimately for? I assume the rockets send supplies back and forth, but what's up there to get? Are there going to be special materials that enable new crafting? Is it just a way to keep part of your base away from biters? Or are there space biters?

I get that specifics are scarce, but have the developers said where they see that part of the game going?
Currently, nowhere - it's been put off as possible DLC a long time after release. Pretty much the only information we have is in an old FFF somewhere.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

The idea was that the space platform would be your vehicle to rescue the colony ship that you crashed down from. You would build on it from space scrap around and travel to the colony ship, fighting off whatever would be in your way.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Does anyone else suffer from incredibly long map load times? In multi-player, when anyone connects to the server there was a literal five minute hang for them to load into the map, which I wrote off as terrible connections or their matchmaking server or whatever, but when I loaded the map up in single player it took just as long. The map file itself is only a 20 mb file, which seems to be standard, but I am using a lot of mods. Before I go through one by one and try to troubleshoot I wanted to know if this is a common issue for anyone else?
It's likely that one of your mods is slow.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Figured as much, time to add them back one by one...

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I forgot how much I love this game. Second vanilla factory going strong, doing a proper main bus this time instead of helter skelter nonsense. Here's my belt/inserter assembler complex... it's a bit messy but hey it works.

And the science complex.

e. Fixed a belt on the first one and added an assembler assembler set.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 7, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Use thumbnail links if the pictures are going to be that big.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

Use thumbnail links if the pictures are going to be that big.

56k no

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Mobile data yes

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Protip for the science setup, have two belts in between the labs, put a long and a short inserter next to every lab

Will let you funnel blue and purple at the same time as red and green.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

dogstile posted:

Protip for the science setup, have two belts in between the labs, put a long and a short inserter next to every lab

Will let you funnel blue and purple at the same time as red and green.

He's left space for a second belt but just hasn't put it in. The lower labs are fed with long handled if you look.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Eh, sorry about the gigantic images, heh.

e. This is what happens when you set biters to very big, poor quality. Hurray for laser turret spam...

e2. Or just take a flamethrower to them with 5 exos and 4 mk2 shields. Hello there, darlings.

I'm trying to get a combinator setup so my steam engines only turn on if the accumulators have less than 20% charge left and turn off when the accumulators have more than 60% or so but I can't remember how to do that and google isn't being helpful. I know when I was playing in DimitrX's server that someone set something up that only needed two decider combinators but I can't figure it out... This is 100% vanilla no mods.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 7, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If someone had one in two that's some wizardry I want to see since it takes two just to evaluate the conditions. But here's a latch in three, just change it to the upper and lower bound you want, the idea would be to turn on the steam engine power switch for {1}=1

zedprime posted:

It surprises me every time I see it in some example, its just stupidly simple in a way I'd never figure out on my own.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Ambaire posted:

I'm trying to get a combinator setup so my steam engines only turn on if the accumulators have less than 20% charge left and turn off when the accumulators have more than 60% or so but I can't remember how to do that and google isn't being helpful. I know when I was playing in DimitrX's server that someone set something up that only needed two decider combinators but I can't figure it out... This is 100% vanilla no mods.

You only need a decider and arithmetic combinator. The output of the decider feeds both the input of the arithmetic combinator and your preferred steam engine shut off method; I tend to wire the decider to electric pumps in line with each bank of steam engines instead of the water pumps before the boilers. This way there's always a supply of piping hot 100C water ready to go when the decider flips the switch.

First, give your accumulator a letter to output its charge on if you haven't already, I use A. Wire this to one of the inputs of your decider.

Set your decider to output 1 if the accumulator charge is <20 and choose another letter to output 1 on, I use P. Wire this output to both your shut off and your arithmetic input as mentioned.

The arithmetic then needs to be set to multiply the 1 it gets from the decider by whatever value you want the engines to turn off at, minus the threshold you set above; in your case -40. I spent waaaay too much time figuring out why my poo poo wasn't working when I had the multiplier set to a positive value :smith:; don't be me. The output of the arithmetic needs to share the same letter or number you chose for the accumulator, wire this to the input of your decider.

At this point the arithmetic will drag the value received by the accumulator down an additional 40 points when the decider flips to 1, which means at 20 the value read at the decider should flip to -20 and climb back up to +20 before shutting the engines down.

I'm at work atm, or I'd give some screenshots to go with it. This should get you on the right track at least, play around with it until you get it right.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ratzap posted:

He's left space for a second belt but just hasn't put it in. The lower labs are fed with long handled if you look.

poo poo, my bad

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

NatasDog posted:

<snip>
black magic wizard trickery
</snip>

I set them up as you said and it works. I don't know how or why but I'm determined to understand what that negative value does.

e. I sorta understand it but it's still wizard trickery. heh

oh, I see. So when a combinator has multiple inputs they're automatically added together. Now it makes sense.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 8, 2016

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Ambaire posted:

I set them up as you said and it works. I don't know how or why but I'm determined to understand what that negative value does.

oh, I see. So when a combinator has multiple inputs they're automatically added together. Now it makes sense.

Yeah, I couldn't quite wrap my head around what I was doing wrong with a positive value, but if you do that the system constantly cycles between on and off at the threshold value which makes for some interesting behavior from your steam engines. All you're doing is injecting a modifier into your decider's input to force it to stay on a bit longer and smooth out the janky bits when you're riding close to your threshold. I personally went with 25%->50% to let my solar charge up the remaining 50% in the daytime.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Cracktorio soaked up my entire weekend. My girlfriend reminded me that I didn't eat lunch when she reminded me that I need to eat dinner.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Uncle Spriggly posted:

Cracktorio soaked up my entire weekend. My girlfriend reminded me that I didn't eat lunch when she reminded me that I need to eat dinner.

With enough assemblers, belts, and inserters, you can automate dinner. Embrace efficiency!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

They need a big warning on the steam page: Please remember to eat

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Dirk the Average posted:

With enough assemblers, belts, and inserters, you can automate dinner. Embrace efficiency!

Especially inserters

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

Especially inserters

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Ambaire posted:

I'm not quite following what's going on here. can you show me what your circuit connections look like?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

climboutonalimb posted:

I'm not quite following what's going on here. can you show me what your circuit connections look like?

Just do exactly what NatasDog said to, a few posts up.

e. I just finished installing a crapton of mods but I removed them and got the save back to take a few snips.

This will turn the steam engines on at 20% and turn them off at 80%. Also, this particular set of steam engines is done entirely with burner inserters so the power switch goes to the engines.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 9, 2016

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Ambaire posted:

Just do exactly what NatasDog said to, a few posts up.

e. I just finished installing a crapton of mods but I removed them and got the save back to take a few snips.

This will turn the steam engines on at 20% and turn them off at 80%. Also, this particular set of steam engines is done entirely with burner inserters so the power switch goes to the engines.

Thanks. I couldn't figure out what to put on the switch.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
This just turned up on the mod portal

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=30715

Food, farming and fishing for Factorio. It reads like it was put through google translate to get from Korean to English but this one actually seems to have been fleshed out and given some sprites before release.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I got tired of not being able to see the green wires:

So I fixed them:

All the gory details, including the replacement sprite (which you have to put in your install directory, as it's not moddable):
http://imgur.com/a/UmRfH

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

I got tired of not being able to see the green wires:

So I fixed them:

All the gory details, including the replacement sprite (which you have to put in your install directory, as it's not moddable):
http://imgur.com/a/UmRfH

Thanks that's handy.

I tried the cooking mod. Summary: aside from the odd texts it's pretty decent with one fatal flaw. It kills you if you don't keep eating. If he eased up on the fatality of it or made food last longer it might be worth it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
So, I finally started loving around with logistics bots. My logistics network is huge and has about 3k available bots. But some logistics requests are still going unfulfilled - in particular I have passive provider chests with rocket parts in them, and requester chests requesting those parts, and despite the 3k available bots, the requests are only fulfilled occasionally. Like, I watch the area and one bot comes by every 30-60 seconds. Certainly not enough to keep the chests full of the 20 of each rocket part that I set them to request. How do I get more bots to work on those requests at once? Increase the number requested? More chests? More roboports? Should I just rework everything to use a shitload of spaghetti-rear end belts?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DontMockMySmock posted:

So, I finally started loving around with logistics bots. My logistics network is huge and has about 3k available bots. But some logistics requests are still going unfulfilled - in particular I have passive provider chests with rocket parts in them, and requester chests requesting those parts, and despite the 3k available bots, the requests are only fulfilled occasionally. Like, I watch the area and one bot comes by every 30-60 seconds. Certainly not enough to keep the chests full of the 20 of each rocket part that I set them to request. How do I get more bots to work on those requests at once? Increase the number requested? More chests? More roboports? Should I just rework everything to use a shitload of spaghetti-rear end belts?

What's the distance between the two chests? It's going to count a bot en-route to the requester chest as a fulfilled request. If you're only requesting 1 item, then only 1 bot will make a delivery. A second bot won't start to deliver until bot #1 made it's delivery and that item was taken out of the requester chest.

Personally, I just up the amount requested to overcome this because making things more efficient is :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Renegret posted:

What's the distance between the two chests? It's going to count a bot en-route to the requester chest as a fulfilled request. If you're only requesting 1 item, then only 1 bot will make a delivery. A second bot won't start to deliver until bot #1 made it's delivery and that item was taken out of the requester chest.

Personally, I just up the amount requested to overcome this because making things more efficient is :effort:

The distance is minimal - like 30 squares. They often don't have bots running between them, even when there are 20 requested and hundreds in the provider chest. I was just trying to avoid using too many belts because this part of my base is pretty cramped.