Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also I suspect a Y-Fold seal is more difficult to get into discreetly than a cheap heat-sealed plastic product, and this is a big loving deal for brick and mortar stores to combat shoplifting. I have memories of loving catalog after catalog focusing exclusively on anti-shoplifting technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Also I suspect a Y-Fold seal is more difficult to get into discreetly than a cheap heat-sealed plastic product, and this is a big loving deal for brick and mortar stores to combat shoplifting. I have memories of loving catalog after catalog focusing exclusively on anti-shoplifting technology.

I bought a new copy of Contra 3 at my local K-Mart. It was "sealed" of course, but I opened it and there was a tightly wrapped block of newspaper inside. My point being that heat sealing is something that's easy to do and most retailers used to have a machine to do it in the backroom. Not so sure if they're that common anymore, though.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Have you ever wanted to play SNES on your Turbo Express?

No? Well I do.

I was pretty surprised that I was getting any image at all. You wouldn't want to sit down and play through a game at any length with it due to the flickering image, but it is playable.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
As the resident crazy acrylic display stand lady, what type of acrylic display did you find that was thick enough for a TE and a Core? :aaa:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

beaver_cheese posted:

No? Well I do.

I was pretty surprised that I was getting any image at all. You wouldn't want to sit down and play through a game at any length with it due to the flickering image, but it is playable.

Oh, god, why

Still kicking myself for not buying the somewhat-overpriced great condition TE at a local shop before it shut down years ago.

Never again. In this hobby, spend first, think later.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

beaver_cheese posted:

No? Well I do.

The Game Gear had one of those tuners as well as I recall. And there was a Master System in Brazil that transmitted the TV signal instead of hooking directly up to it.

What I'm saying is that it's possible to go even crazier.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That's probably a bad habit to have but in this hobby it seems like prices are going up year after year for almost everything.

Seriously, prices may never come down again. It's like, whatever you can afford to get, get it now. We don't even have cheap Rakuten anymore.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

That's probably a bad habit to have but in this hobby it seems like prices are going up year after year for almost everything.

Seriously, prices may never come down again. It's like, whatever you can afford to get, get it now. We don't even have cheap Rakuten anymore.

Definitely be careful though, don't fall into an endless spending cycle.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Spoderman posted:

Are PVM-style LCDs (specifically the Panasonic BT LH1700WP or its ilk) good for hooking up older consoles to, or are they a sorry substitute for a CRT equivalent?

Hmm...it's hard to say. Most people get PVMs because they're CRTs, have RGB inputs, and thus offer better picture quality (when using RGB) compared to a regular CRT TV. I'm not recalling seeing anyone in the previous incarnations of this thread who has used a professional LCD, but maybe they'll pip in if they have. I don't have proof, but I've heard that there were some teething issues by Sony and the like in making LCD monitors for professional use that could get up to the old CRT spec, so an older pro-grade LCD might be kind of crap compared to a CRT. Today? Perhaps not, though today's pro-grade LCDs probably don't even bother with old signals and input formats, either...

That said, looking through the user's guide, I'd probably be kind of leery of it. Besides the usual older LCD hazards (washed out screen, slow response, scaling and processing-induced issues and delays, and so on), I suspect it would be more inclined to treat the "240p" signal from an older console as a 480i (interlaced) one, which can introduce flicker. And if the RGB mode doesn't support a 15khz horizontal signal (it probably does, though), it's going to be no good.

But if you can get one for free or really cheap (or feel like being one of the first to break new ground and potentially walk the pain trail), I know that I would be interested in the results. Otherwise, if it came down to it, I'd just try to get a CRT PVM/BVM for the same amount of money.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Caitlin posted:

As the resident crazy acrylic display stand lady, what type of acrylic display did you find that was thick enough for a TE and a Core? :aaa:

I actually made it myself out of a piece of acrylic. I used a heat gun and a vice to slowly heat and shape it. Not too hard to do and it gets pretty great results.

I also watched a video about using nail polish retail displays for handheld and coincidentally a friend of mine found a bunch in his condo's garbage area later that same night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oreOa_rIUj0

I also made a small stand that goes into the cartridge slot of the micro to allow it to stand up without seeing the stand.

beaver_cheese fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 9, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
So... how much do you want for one? :sax: I just want something that holds my drat TE! Pretty much nothing fits it because it is SO FAT. You know.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

beaver_cheese posted:

I actually made it myself out of a piece of acrylic. I used a heat gun and a vice to slowly heat and shape it. Not too hard to do and it gets pretty great results.

I also watched a video about using nail polish retail displays for handheld and coincidentally a friend of mine found a bunch in his condo's garbage area later that same night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oreOa_rIUj0

This is beautiful.

Please tell me about that small black box next to the gameboy printer.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

This is beautiful.

That's a BitBoy! Get it while you can (the guy is holding one for me, actually, haha) :

http://gameboyphoto.bigcartel.com/product/bitboy

e : when I say "get it while you can" I'm serious because this is the final run of them.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

RZA Encryption posted:

This is beautiful.

Thanks!

That's a BitBoy. It lets you back up Gameboy Camera pictures to an SD card. It's really slick how they made it work. It acts as a Gameboy Printer and "prints" the files to an SD card.

http://gameboyphoto.bigcartel.com/product/bitboy

Caitlin posted:

So... how much do you want for one? :sax: I just want something that holds my drat TE! Pretty much nothing fits it because it is SO FAT. You know.

Honestly if shipping weren't so crazy from Canada to the States I'd do one for you.

Really though it's not that hard to make yourself. I found some scrap acrylic at Home Depot and used a lovely heat gun. You don't even need a vice either. A couple thick books with a friend standing on them and a hair dryer would probably work too.

The trick is to go super slow and let the heat do most of the bending for you.

beaver_cheese fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 9, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wow, that's super cool, but I'm not sure it's worth the money to me. I understand how it could be worth it to others, though.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The secret trick to cutting acrylic sheets like that is? Because I need to get shopping. Nice work

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

beaver_cheese posted:

Honestly if shipping we're so crazy from Canada to the States I'd do one for you.

Really though it's not that hard to make yourself. I found some scrap acrylic at Home Depot and used a lovely heat gun. You don't even need a vice either. A couple thick books with a friend standing on them and a hair dryer would probably work too.

The trick is to go super slow and let the heat do most of the bending for you.

Flippin' Canada with the flippin' terrible-rear end shipping! I wish I understood why it was so expensive. Sending a small flat rate package with a Famicom game in it cost me $20 :sigh:

I don't think my hair dryer gets hot enough and I have no heat gun, alas! My search continues...

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, their store brand heat gun is discounted to like $8 all the time.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
So I was finally able to grab a gyromite famicom adapter and realized I can't play Atlantis No Nazo with it. The loving cartridge hole isn't big enough to fit the adapter. Anyone ideas how to get it to fit without having to open the cart and just use the board?

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Kid Fenris posted:

What was it about Psycho/Psychic World that won you over?

I didn't like Psychic World on the SMS because it was very cookie cutter, but in the original MSX games you explore the map and find secret rooms. Also the first screen in the game you can climb a giant ladder and when you get to the top you see all the levels for the whole game off in the horizon, and that owns. Also the FM music is really good.

Basically it has a lady jumping around killing monsters and finding secret places, and that is my video game aesthetic.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It still saddens me whenever I look at my red bookcase and see my stack of PSX games missing.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Star Man posted:

It still saddens me whenever I look at my red bookcase and see my stack of PSX games missing.

Depending how many there were you could always being the long slow painful process of rebuilding it in a seller's market. :unsmith:

Also that new Gotta Protectors game on the 3ds eshop is everything I ever wanted in an 8 bit beatem up. Everyone should play it. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for well done pixel art games: it captures the look and feel of a late Famicom game perfectly.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Gotta protectors is almost worth it on just style alone. But it is also a fun game to play and can be funny at times.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

more acrylic display talk: I have a bunch of ones similar to this which are adjustable by sliding forward and backwards to fit different sized items and they hold my Turbo Express and other handhelds with a minimal footprint.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Turbinosamente posted:

Depending how many there were you could always being the long slow painful process of rebuilding it in a seller's market. :unsmith:

Also that new Gotta Protectors game on the 3ds eshop is everything I ever wanted in an 8 bit beatem up. Everyone should play it. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for well done pixel art games: it captures the look and feel of a late Famicom game perfectly.

I didn't have very many. My two longbox games were Cyberia and Descent, and I only had them because I didn't know how to use DOSbox for some time. The rest are all on my PS3 as digital copies, which is more than good enough. It just means that I have to baby my PS3 for a long time.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So in threads previous, I've outed myself as being someone who loves CRT dot crawl/noise and all the other wonderful image-loving things they do.

I was playing various emulators on my newly hacked Vita TV on my PC monitor the other day, and thought, y'know... I wonder if I could connect this to my giant CRT downstairs. The image would probably look awesome.

That lead to a little shopping spree on Amazon, and two shipments later...

This [to kill the HDCP]:

plus this:

Equals this:

It's awesome. The Vita TV can output 480i, so 4:3, which I didn't know. I was worried it could only do 16:9 and I'd have to mess with emulator settings to make it not squished and weird on the TV.

It feels a little lagged, like when playing SMW it didn't quite feel responsive enough, but since 90% of what I play is RPGs, no biggie.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
This topic has probably been beaten to death, but is there a reason no third party has been able to make component cables for the Gamecube? I play most of the games on my Wii which is hooked up via component, but I would love to get the Gameboy Player to look even better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Schremp Howard posted:

This topic has probably been beaten to death, but is there a reason no third party has been able to make component cables for the Gamecube? I play most of the games on my Wii which is hooked up via component, but I would love to get the Gameboy Player to look even better.

The component video processor is part of the cable, which no-one's been able to replicate.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The component video processor is part of the cable, which no-one's been able to replicate.

That's changed somewhat recently though. Somebody reverse engineered the digital output port and people have started modding 480p HDMI and Wii style component into GameCubes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Schremp Howard posted:

Lookup the gcvideo.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

:barf: mods pls ban this sick filth

cenotaph posted:

If you guys think the babby metroids are tedious wait until you hit the omegas. Sure would be nice if you could save before you fight the first one, too.

I found my missing metroid and continued the game. It was a one-block hole in the ceiling that was on the far side of a dead-end metroid room. There hasn't been much other bullshittery, aside from a couple optional shinesparking puzzles I gave up on. Just killed the first Omega, as mentioned, and yup, the closest save point was 30 mins beforehand. I thought I was hosed but it turned out easier than expected - all its attacks are avoidable if you use the safe spot on the far right side of the room. The Zetas and their missle-blocking claws were far worse. I still think the game's a bit romhacky and needlessly difficult in spots, but I take back some of what I said before. Overrall it's A Good Game. :thumbsup:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

The original Metroid 2 is a bit of a black sheep gameplay wise, so I'm not surprised the remake retains its idiosyncrasies.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Ofecks posted:

I found my missing metroid and continued the game. It was a one-block hole in the ceiling that was on the far side of a dead-end metroid room. There hasn't been much other bullshittery, aside from a couple optional shinesparking puzzles I gave up on. Just killed the first Omega, as mentioned, and yup, the closest save point was 30 mins beforehand. I thought I was hosed but it turned out easier than expected - all its attacks are avoidable if you use the safe spot on the far right side of the room. The Zetas and their missle-blocking claws were far worse. I still think the game's a bit romhacky and needlessly difficult in spots, but I take back some of what I said before. Overrall it's A Good Game. :thumbsup:

I hosed up on the safe spot and got knocked into the other room. Had to fight him without any super missiles. Took forever.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Ofecks posted:

oh god shine sparking is a thing in this game? blah. Well, that explains the one spot where you have to super bomb and then speed boost through a wall without enough space to build up charge. Is it still just hold down when you boost into an incline?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just died at the first Omega and since the save point was indeed like 30 minutes before (and I think they even close the way so you can't go back and refresh), including a very annoying shinespark missile puzzle, I just put the game down. I no longer have the same amount of re-playing patience as I did as a kid.

In general, not being able to save whenever you want is a thing that should've stayed in the past.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 10, 2016

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Caitlin posted:

boy new threads sure do attract great new posters! :toot:

Lol

Whats your excuse?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

African AIDS cum posted:

Lol

Whats your excuse?
On a similar note, feel free to send me a PM if you need a paypal donation to fix your username. I'm sure "African AIDS Cum" was delightfully edgy to someone at some point, but oh boy has that time come and gone.

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

oh god shine sparking is a thing in this game? blah. Well, that explains the one spot where you have to super bomb and then speed boost through a wall without enough space to build up charge. Is it still just hold down when you boost into an incline?

The two big shinespark puzzles in the game are very tough but its nothing that isn't reasonable to do once you truely master shinesparking. Even if your approaching it from "I have never shinesparked before" after a few attempts it can be figured out, and its satisfying when you do.

silentq15 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 10, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

silentq15 posted:

The two big shinespark puzzles in the game are very tough but its nothing that isn't reasonable to do once you truely master shinesparking. Even if your approaching it from "I have never shinesparked before" after a few attempts it can be figured out, and its satisfying when you do.

The hardest by far for me has been the one in the lower water area, where you first charge the spark, then have to space jump through some blocks and mid-jump do a horizontal shinespark (or wait until you land).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I got to unwrap a sealed Saturn game yesterday. :)

For some reason the store I found it in put it's own wrapping over the original seal.

Just Virtua Racing but whatever it was cheap.

• Locked thread