Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Mithaldu posted:

I also like that the usa is the only country with more guns per capita than well, capita.

The average US citizen owns more than three hundred million guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ag Bengip posted:

The average US citizen owns more than three hundred million guns
And that's just the nightstand.

There were some posts about dirty tankers recently.
Yesterday, in Moscow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Xkk__lnCI

Is it common for poo poo tankers to explode?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

now post the picture of the blood at the bottom of the second hill

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

SelenicMartian posted:

Yesterday, in Moscow:

eww

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

SelenicMartian posted:

Yesterday, in Moscow:

I'd bet that if sufficient methane pressure built up with no safety relief valve, then yes definitely. Especially if the vehicle construction was poo poo. All that was needed was a timely source of ignition, and then you'd have a real fireworks show.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
lol the truck had backed up farts

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I'd bet that if sufficient methane pressure built up with no safety relief valve, then yes definitely. Especially if the vehicle construction was poo poo. All that was needed was a timely source of ignition, and then you'd have a real fireworks show.

I think it would be closer to a poo poo-show :rimshot:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

zedprime posted:

Anyone who's ever played Roller Coaster Tycoon knows that a second hill on a waterslide is going to 100% kill someone, some day.
Some of the original roller coasters at Coney Island (IIRC) had loops so tight that people broke their necks from the force and died in the middle of the ride.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

zedprime posted:

Anyone who's ever played Roller Coaster Tycoon knows that a second hill on a waterslide is going to 100% kill someone, some day.

Not if you made the top of the hill a tunnel!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Reminds me of this.

Ignore the source, it came up first on a quick search.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Crazy Ted posted:

Some of the original roller coasters at Coney Island (IIRC) had loops so tight that people broke their necks from the force and died in the middle of the ride.

That'll be Action Park you're thinking of. e: Wait, roller coasters that did that? Holy poo poo.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Nah dude.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Exploding tanker trucks you say?

https://twitter.com/SMCharronRC/status/763104927854059520?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
John Allen, former president of the Philadelphia Toboggan Company: “The ultimate rollercoaster is built when you send out 24 people and they all come back dead. This could be done, you know.”

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

John Allen, former president of the Philadelphia Toboggan Company: “The ultimate rollercoaster is built when you send out 24 people and they all come back dead. This could be done, you know.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_Coaster

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

<Nathan Explosion> Brutal. </Nathan Explosion>

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Imagined posted:

Nah dude.
I remembered wrong. It was only severe whiplash and unconsciousness. Turns out the average person doesn't do very well in a ride loop that puts out 10 to 15 G's.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It's true. It's because the roller coasters were designed before physics was invented.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Elsa posted:

It's true. It's because the roller coasters were designed before physics was invented.

Honestly with 15 G's on an old wooden rollercoaster it wouldn't surprise me if people had stuff shooting out of both ends too.

I don't know if I could imagine something more unpleasant to ride on.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Elsa posted:

No its because the roller coasters were designed before AMERICA turned into a bunch of PUSSIES

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I never liked these things, too loud.

http://youtu.be/yDyy5LtSaQo

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The little VW that couldn't

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Oldie but goodie. I remember my highschool physics teacher putting that up as a physics in real life example 10 or 11 years ago.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Time to un-pimp your ow-toe

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So I left a job a while ago, and asked my friend who still works there to keep me updated with the various OH&S violations that happened constantly.
One of the oldest workers, been there for decades and is slowly going batshit insane does stuff like this pallet racking on the daily

That is 6 stacks high, and has 5-6m lengeths of aluminium sheets on it, missing one end's sliders with that end not even on the racks to start with.
and the stacking of aluminium offcuts in the walkway between routers
that is open to public walkthroughs be customers when the boss feels like showing off our setup.

Pretty tame stuff, but there are numerous close calls with the forklift and people trying to lift 50mm thick plates of ali off of the plate saw with a single fork. I'll get some pictures of that up as they come through.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wait are there states where the fault isn't automatically given to any car whose front impacts the back of another?

a few years ago at a gas station while i was standing beside my truck pumping gas, the person who's car was in front of mine got back in, and started reversing.
they didn't hear me shouting at them and slowly crunched right into my bumper, while i'm standing there all :stare:

somehow, they were super angry with me. (granted, it was really difficult to maintain my composure)
also, i'm canadian, so this really has no bearing on your question. i just remembered it, reading your post.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Little bit of OSHA at the hotel I'm staying at:

It's safe, he's standing on a pallet, not the forks.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Phanatic posted:

Little bit of OSHA at the hotel I'm staying at:

It's safe, he's standing on a pallet, not the forks.

Dudes do that at my work to pour buckets of glass out into the top of a dumpster.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Straight out of Staplerfahrer Klaus, I love it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

MG3 posted:

Dudes do that at my work to pour buckets of glass out into the top of a dumpster.

Everyone did that at a sound equipment warehouse I used to work at, often getting lifted around 30' off the ground, sometimes on a pallet, sometimes not. My supervisor didn't give a poo poo, even when it was a 17 year old kid like me riding the forks. He shared cigarettes with us underage workers too, and had a suspended license from multiple DUI's, though he still drove the company trucks (not when leaving or arriving at the warehouse though, in case the boss man was there). One time we were dismantling a stack of speakers when a speaker dolly rolled off the top and fell like 10 feet onto my head. Some idiot left it up there. Somehow I didn't even get a bruise, but it clearly gave me brain damage, seeing as I joined SA.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 11, 2016

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Ah. Peru. I saw plenty of OSHA-esque violations going on there including someone using a paint gun in an enclosed space.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Looks comfy as gently caress. Someone probably sells a $5000 chair that's similar.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Three-Phase posted:

I never liked these things, too loud.

http://youtu.be/yDyy5LtSaQo

Related videos, working on live 132 kV lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfwpF68Di8k

It's probably completely safe but one of the workers gives the camera a look at 3:25 and he doesn't really seem to be convinced about this poking at live lines with long sticks business being a good idea.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

zedprime posted:

Yeah about that.

quote:

The boys’ father, State Rep. Schwab, consistently voted against regulating big businesses. The lax regulations and no height restriction for amusement park rides are the main reasons the park’s owners chose Kansas City to build their water slide.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

okay sure:
:nms:http://sandrarose.com/images25/water-slide-kansas-550x259.jpg :nms:

:smith:

e: i lifted this post from the d&d pictures thread, weird forum synergy today

f#a# fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 11, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Beaten but drat that picture is just :smith:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

cyberbug posted:

Related videos, working on live 132 kV lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfwpF68Di8k

It's probably completely safe but one of the workers gives the camera a look at 3:25 and he doesn't really seem to be convinced about this poking at live lines with long sticks business being a good idea.

Yeah unplugging that live was pretty badass.

Awhile back we had to do a phasing check on a medium voltage switchgear lineup. We had to cordon off the area, open the cubicles and rack out these circuit breakers (like 15kV 800A class vacuum interrupters, whole breaker package was the size of a dishwasher) and then force open the safety shutters in the empty cubicles that the breakers plugged into. So looking into the cabinet the live power connections were staring right back at you. Guys with the bomb-squad level arc flash suits checked that the phasing was synchronized with a special set of meters on the end of fiberglass poles.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 12, 2016