Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I believe the real issue at heart here is that the main cast is poo poo

Like seriously, I was rooting for Kenny the whole time, at least he was entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

When I started reading AoT, I thought it was rather interesting because characters were dying left and right.
You could never be sure what was going to happen and who was going to survive any given encounter with the titans, which made for some nice mix of suspense and despair.

Yeah, I would have preferred if Eren stayed dead, but that was, what, one time in forty chapters that someone escaped death?

Since then, having a name (and/or fanbase) more or less guarantees any given character to survive just about anything, which turns the drama into a series of cheap fake-outs without any lasting impact.

Dragon Ball did the Armin thing way better, anyway.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Your first day out with titans is a survival rate of 10%, after that it's 90%. We've boiled down to our 10% now.

Jose posted:

This bloke lived like 3 months with medical treatment after taknig a massive dose of radiation and looked a lot like armin did in the photo they took. Its a pretty grim picture mind

:nms:

http://www.iflscience.com/physics/effect-radiation-body0/

Buddy survives 3 months like that and poor Armin's not allowed 5 minutes of crispness??

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Red Suit posted:

Can we get to the basement now please

Watch as it turns out armin just crushed it during his transformation and now we'll never know.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I don't care about how dead someone should be or surviving something that should probably have died from.

What I care about is that this series has always struggled with not turning in to a generic fighting shonen. Now, Erwin's dead, the survey corps is decimated and the nakama trio is all alive and kicking. Do you really think you're not gonna get a friendship speech enemy conversion bullshit?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Monocled Falcon posted:

Do you really think you're not gonna get a friendship speech enemy conversion bullshit?

No chance. Armin already tried that when he was alive and 1.) it didn't work 2.) it was actually a ploy to get Bert to lower his guard so they could knife him.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Monocled Falcon posted:

I don't care about how dead someone should be or surviving something that should probably have died from.

What I care about is that this series has always struggled with not turning in to a generic fighting shonen. Now, Erwin's dead, the survey corps is decimated and the nakama trio is all alive and kicking. Do you really think you're not gonna get a friendship speech enemy conversion bullshit?

And making Armin a titan feels like the manga's breaking it's own rules. This whole series is about HUMANITY's war against titans. The previous fights like Reiss Titan and the present arc have always revolved around our 3DMG buddies taking out enemies with Eren's sole titan as their trump card. Now that Armin's a titan, how long until the others gain the power too? Is the final arc going to be everyone piloting their flesh-mechs?

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 9, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please.

They're meat mecha.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

piloting their flesh-mechs

This is a half step away from being a perfect thread title

E: Attack on Titan! Manga: No Basement, Just People Standing Around, Piloting Their Flesh-Mechs

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Invictus posted:

Please.

They're meat mecha.

I hope the secret in the basement is just an evangelion style cockpit they can just plug into any titan to let everyone take control.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

They should've both died while everyone was stuffing around and fighting over who should get it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The serum is a red herring because this is really no different from "we only have time to save one of them". It's just that magic is the means by which one of them gets saved.

The problem is that Armin gets the heroic sacrifice and heartfelt send-off, only to have it immediately undone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

The serum is a red herring because this is really no different from "we only have time to save one of them". It's just that magic is the means by which one of them gets saved.

The problem is that Armin gets the heroic sacrifice and heartfelt send-off, only to have it immediately undone.

This cuts right to the core of why this plot development feels so disappointing. It feels like some really clumsy writing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bifauxnen posted:

They should've both died while everyone was stuffing around and fighting over who should get it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bifauxnen posted:

They should've given it to Marlowe

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You guys are all babies who can't see that of the two characters at deaths door, only Armin actually has anywhere to develop while Erwin is pretty muc closed in development. His defining moment was leaning over Eren's shoulder and asking "what do you see?"

Armin's path is to become the new antagonist.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Armin's path was to be crispy and delectable

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Armin's path was to be crispy and delectable

The dude has been built up as a super genius and ending it here wouldn't make sense.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why would it not make sense, please inform me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mordaedil posted:

The dude has been built up as a super genius and ending it here wouldn't make sense.
Kamina was built up to be a super badass leader and killing him wouldn't make sense.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

You guys are all babies who can't see that of the two characters at deaths door, only Armin actually has anywhere to develop while Erwin is pretty muc closed in development. His defining moment was leaning over Eren's shoulder and asking "what do you see?"

Erwin's stated goal was to see what is in the basement, you don't think he'd have places to go as a character after seeing whatever disappointing reveal lies in there?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly Erwin living to see his philosophy through to the end and what that's done to others is a more interesting way to take this considering that character had 3 million death flags on him since he entered the story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also armin dying would mean maybe Mikasa would get a speck of character growth instead of being the biggest :geno: mary sue who exists solely for eren and to be jacked

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Baal posted:

Why would it not make sense, please inform me.

Armin is one of the three main characters while Erwin was a side-character in the mentor role.

Captain Invictus posted:

Kamina was built up to be a super badass leader and killing him wouldn't make sense.

Kamina was built to inspire Simon to greater heights you dork. Just like Erwin was made to build Armin to greater heights.

GimmickMan posted:

Erwin's stated goal was to see what is in the basement, you don't think he'd have places to go as a character after seeing whatever disappointing reveal lies in there?

That isn't his stated goal as much as a line he had. His goal was not really the basement, it was the de-establishment of the fake government and sticking it to the man, which he did.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mordaedil posted:

Armin is one of the three main characters while Erwin was a side-character in the mentor role.
Kamina was also one of the three main characters friend

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

You're right, so maybe the whole sequence of events with him getting roasted was a bad idea?

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

You're missing the point, no one even framed their complaint as 'it should have been Armin, not Erwin' until you did and clouded the issue. I am pretty okay with Armin winning out in a choice between him and Erwin, though I see how both still have potential left.

What I don't like is that Armin didn't die after a bunch of sloppy misdirection to convince us he's dead. If the author never tried to fake-end his character arc for cheap thrills, there wouldn't be such a harsh reaction to him being alive. These are separate issues, and we could have still had the choice between Erwin and Armin without the terrible fakeout. I don't think people would be thinking about dropping the series just because Armin got chosen over Erwin, that's not the point at all.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
So I'm guessing when they reach the basement that we're going to get a reveal that Mikasa is officially super special too with medical logs and journals from her checkups with Grisha. With Armin getting The Power this seems like the way its gonna go down. She may not be a titan but no child should be able to crush a knife handle like she did.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't think I've seen anyone mention the fact that Armin's titan looks kinda lame and not very combat-oriented. It's possible he won't even use it (unless forced to for some reason).

edit: Also, it's hard to tell but maybe it's smaller than Eren's?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

You're right, so maybe the whole sequence of events with him getting roasted was a bad idea?

Maybe the whole syringe thing was a bad idea.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone mention the fact that Armin's titan looks kinda lame and not very combat-oriented. It's possible he won't even use it (unless forced to for some reason).

edit: Also, it's hard to tell but maybe it's smaller than Eren's?

Do they change at all physically when they go from mindless to cognizant? Is there any precedent for that?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
I think I remember Eren's first mindless transformation being a small type too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AtheistMantis posted:

I think I remember Eren's first mindless transformation being a small type too.

It wasn't, it was exactly the same. We don't know how the Colossal titan power will change Armin's titan form though. Even if Armin's titan form isn't very combat oriented the steam power is definitely gonna be strategically useful, especially on someone super smart like Armin.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
armin's colossal titan falling over due to its giant head would make up for everything imo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Maybe the whole syringe thing was a bad idea.

:agreed:

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

RatHat posted:

It wasn't, it was exactly the same. We don't know how the Colossal titan power will change Armin's titan form though. Even if Armin's titan form isn't very combat oriented the steam power is definitely gonna be strategically useful, especially on someone super smart like Armin.

I don't know how to post images, but it's chapter 62 page 37.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ohhh right, I completely forgot about that, I thought you meant when he was eaten. Still not quite the same situation though since you're comparing child Eren's titan to teenage Eren's titan.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
So armin is a super-genius. He's a frigging shonen super-genius, which means the same thing it always means. He'll make broad leaps to conclusions which will be right because the plot says so.

Monocled Falcon fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 9, 2016

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Now that I think of it, was Bert's special ability his size? What if it was actually the ability to produce immense heat, and his size was just a thing unique to him. Then tiny Armin titan has the ability to turn into a fireball. And the survey corps just learned about the concept of baseball. What a twist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Being hot to the touch has always been a titan thing from day 1. The more Eren practiced, the hotter his friends would say he was when they pulled him out. Being Colossal size probably takes way more energy and thus produces so much heat you can use it to burn people. As well, Reiss' titan was twice as large as Bert and was literally on fire.